or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 20" iMac Is Here!

20" iMac Is Here!

post #1 of 178
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....3.0.7.4.1.1.0
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #2 of 178
And Dual 1.8 Powermac G5, replacing the Single 1.8 - 2499
We should have shotguns for this
post #3 of 178
You beat me to it. Good thing I did not press post topic. But $2199!!??
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.

post #4 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by PizzaBoy

Now THAT is exciting! I just hope they get rid of the 1.6 soon...

post #5 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by PizzaBoy

There's a separate thread for this. Please post there.
Thread Finder. I find lost threads.
Thread Finder. I find lost threads.
post #6 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich
You beat me to it. Good thing I did not press post topic. But $2199!!??

And a 64Mb GeForce FX...
post #7 of 178
LCD prices have been going up recently. Apple said so in the analyst conference call earlier.
post #8 of 178
What's the resolution? Couldn't find it on the site.
post #9 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by francisG3
What's the resolution? Couldn't find it on the site.

1680x1050, just like the 20" ACD.
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #10 of 178
It's 1680x1050. What the hell.

Eugene dude, you have 1680x1080 there before. I blame you for making me look stupid in FH.

(not that it's hard)
post #11 of 178
1999 if you are education...not bad....still might wait for the g5 imac or cube or whatever it will be in jan...

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #12 of 178
Boring and misguided. Most potential iMac buyers do not need a 20" screen. I hope that this is not the extent of the iMac update. What the iMac actually needs in the short-term is lower prices and a faster processor. What it needs in the long-term is a rethink of its design. There have been several threads recently that have made some interesting suggestions .
tribalfusion?
tribalfusion?
post #13 of 178
Obviously this is the extent of the iMac update for the Holiday season. But based on previous modest updates in the past there should be no doubt that a new form factor iMac is in the wings for next year. If Apple is waiting for a suitable G5 processor with less heat output then we're looking at a Spring time table as samples of the new 970 are due in April at the earliest according to IBM. I believe the price of the 20 inch is the same as when the 15 inch was introduced?
post #14 of 178
No, the 15" introduced in January 2002 was $1799. I think it jumped up briefly to $1899 (the day AFTER I bought mine in March 2002).

post #15 of 178
They would do better with the iMac for the holiday season if they used Chinney's post. While the 20" may create a slight wow factor, the price represents the most expensive iMac to date.

Why didn't the 17" get a more aggressive reduction? I keep waiting on the iMac but it is stuck in a holding pattern. Additionally this puts a plug on the eMac which confuses that portion of their lineup all the more.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #16 of 178
People here have been clamoring for a 20" iMac almost since the day the original was introduced. Now that it is here, with Panther, the iApps a Superdrive, etc. and with better specs then the original 15 or 17 inchers, there's negativism from some. To many, Apple can never do anything right. And to that, I quote E.S. "Bah, Humbug!" to you. Happy Holidays.
post #17 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by thegelding
1999 if you are education...not bad....still might wait for the g5 imac or cube or whatever it will be in jan...

g

G5 powemac dual 2.5Ghz you mean?
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #18 of 178
2199!

A 20" screen is very nice, but the rest of the iMac is in no way worth 899-999, and that's being generous, to the display side of the equation by giving it full retail value. This integrated package is a "bundle" and traditionally a bundle comes with some "savings" on the display or computer or both. This is a 1999 machine, tops. The big display does, however, mitigate spanning concerns for the most part.

I would say Apple is a little confused here. Wasn't the iMac supposed to be the computer for the masses? I don't see too many masses with 2199 to spend on an AIO, luscious screen or not, and the pro, well, this isn't really for them either, though some 2-d designers will be thrilled.

At least the PM's are moving in the right direction!
IBL!
IBL!
post #19 of 178
Apple rolls out new Macs ahead of holiday season
Tuesday November 18, 8:31 am ET
By Duncan Martell

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov 18 (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. (NasdaqNM:AAPL - News) on Tuesday unveiled an iMac computer with a 20-inch flat-panel screen and introduced a new model of its Power Mac G5 desktop computer with dual microprocessors as the iconic computer maker gears up for the holiday selling season.

The popular iMac with a 15-inch display was a hit with Apple fans and consumers when it was introduced in January 2002, with its flat-panel monitor appearing to hover above the dome-like base. Apple followed up last holiday season with an iMac boasting a 17-inch monitor.

"We did better than we had expected" with the 17-inch iMac. Phil Schiller, head of marketing for Apple, said in a telephone interview. "There is a high-end market at the holidays."

The iMac is now available with displays of 15, 17 or 20 inches, measured from corner to corner, and starts at $1,299.

Tim Bajarin, president of market research firm Creative Strategies, based in Campbell, California, said, "The price is highly competitive if you look at the power of the system and going out and buying a 20-inch monitor separately."

The new Power Mac G5, with processors that have a clock speed of 1.8 gigahertz, replaces the single-processor 1.8 gigahertz G5, and starts at $2,499. Apple also cut the price of the single-processor 1.6 gigahertz G5 by $200, to $1,799.

Apple first rolled out the dual-processor G5 in June, with processors running at 2.0 gigahertz. The dual-chip machines are targeted at video and audio editing, publishing and advertising markets, which have long been key segments for Apple.

The G5 uses a chip made by International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM - News), and can manage 64 bits of data at once, compared to 32 bits for home computers using chips from Intel Corp. and Advanced Micro Devices Inc., for example. Apple's 32-bit chip is its G4 processor.

Schiller said that he has seen some signs that its professional customers are preparing to upgrade systems that are now three or more years old.

"As the economy is looking a teensy bit better, I'm hearing people saying maybe it's time to upgrade," Schiller said.

Apple had strong sales of the G5 in its most recent quarter, shipping 221,000 units, which it said was "substantially" above the prior quarter.

Apple also rolled out versions of its professional software programs Final Cut Pro 4, Shake 3, and DVD Studio Pro 2 that have been optimized for the 64-bit G5 processor and the latest version of Mac OS X, which is called Panther.

"If you're a graphics professional, you're going to be very pleased with any of those tools," Bajarin said.
post #20 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
I would say Apple is a little confused here. Wasn't the iMac supposed to be the computer for the masses? I don't see too many masses with 2199 to spend on an AIO, luscious screen or not, and the pro, well, this isn't really for them either, though some 2-d designers will be thrilled.

Oh my God, I agree with Matsu on a pricing rant!

Apple did warn recently that LCD prices were heading up, but I still think this is a quick, fast move to goose iMac sales in the short term. They'd have done better to drop the whole line $200. There's a $500 price difference between the combo eMac and the 15-inch iMac, and that's way too much of a penalty just for the LCD.

That being said, the very FIRST person I showed this to said "That's exactly what I want! A 20-inch screen is perfect!" So who knows?
post #21 of 178
A 20" display on the iMac is a big waste. My current monitor has lasted 5 years, so far, and is attached to it's third computer. In a couple of years when that iMac starts feeling really slow, that 20" is stuck on there.
post #22 of 178
Geez, after all these years some of you people are still ranting about how "overpriced" Apple computers are! For what you get in an iMac, you can get the same specs in a Dell or Gateway and the price will be slightly higher. Want a cheaper Apple computer, then buy an eMac. Apple never proclaimed that the iMac was for the "masses". Stop making up things like that. Apple is doing fine. They are profitable, leading the industry in innovation and are going to have a great Holiday selling season.
post #23 of 178
I really thought the "Apple's are too expensive" meme had died out. You can't even use it on slashdot these days without being barraged with links to equally spec'ed (yet butt-ugly) Dell machines that cost just slightly more. (Which is a change from a couple of years ago when some idiot would always post about how he could self-assemble some overclocked piece-of-shit for half the price).
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
post #24 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by Chinney
Boring and misguided. Most potential iMac buyers do not need a 20" screen. I hope that this is not the extent of the iMac update.

The iMac is not a "need" computer, it's a "want" computer. Most people want big screens even if they don't need them.
post #25 of 178
Isn't going Apple to refresh soon the displays too? I think that after that (in January perhaps?) we may see price drops accross the iMac line. The sad in the new 20" iMac is that the G4 is not updated and still has 256 KB L2 cache.
post #26 of 178
Quote:
. Apple never proclaimed that the iMac was for the "masses".

Huh?

This is (or used to be) their primary consumer desktop machine. The emac is only there because people bitched that it shouldn't be available only to the education market.

Apple has placed the iMac in a very confusing situation ever since. This doesn't make it any less so.

Sure a 20" screen is nice and yes, people have been screaming for one for a long time. Apple's usual pricing scheme is to place the new upper tier model at the old upper tier price point isn't it? (Or did they do this the last time they came out with the 17" and superdrive?)

I think people have been complaining more about the price point of the iMac and its performance more than the large screen format. Bus speed is same. Speed is the same. Price same and higher.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #27 of 178
Folks, the 20 inch iMac is not an intro all for the masses machine. They should buy the 15 inch iMac.

Having said that, I think that the current lineup doesn't look that good. The specs of the machines in all the other areas are looking rather pathetic. Only 256MB RAM? I guess Apple has a hard time adding better features when some components go up in cost (the LCD for example).

And as for you who think that the current design is a waste, get a life. People like the current design quite a bit and don't have the same slavish fanatacism for a cube redux. Sure, your LCD is attached to your iMac, but the machine has a 3-4 year usable lifetime and by the time it is time to buy a new machine, you will probably have outgrown your 20 inch screen and find yourself wanting a 35 inch screen (then again, endlessly increasing screen size needs to end somewhere, doesn't it?). The iMac's current form factor is excellent, they just need to work on the price/performance ratio.

People have been complaining about the high price of the whole iMac lineup ever since the iMac lineup went LCD.
King Felix
King Felix
post #28 of 178
Like it or not, the eMac has become Apple's budget computer. The iMac is a luxury item for those who can afford frills. Fortunately for Apple, the adjustable LCD display helps sell them.
post #29 of 178
Apple's iMac pricing is not what it should be. I loved my 15" LCD iMac, and it was well priced when it rolled off the line two years ago, but the machines have not fallen in price as they should. They are out of line with industry pricing trends. Each of the iMac models should have about $200 knocked off it's current price -- $300 for the 15" LCD model.

I love the new iMacs and their look, but they are woefully underpowered machines for the price points they command. Slow processors, slow buses, and beautiful displays should not add up to $1,300 to $2,200 computers.

At the very least, if Apple's going to charge those prices, they should include built in AirPort and Bluetooth.

The new G5 pricing, on the other hand, is very nice, particularly the lower price for the entry-level G5.
post #30 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by Yevgeny
People have been complaining about the high price of the whole iMac lineup ever since the iMac lineup went LCD.

I thought the original lineup was a good deal at the time. A 15-inch LCD G4 with a SuperDrive was a lot of machine for $1,799.
post #31 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by Chinney
Boring and misguided. Most potential iMac buyers do not need a 20" screen. I hope that this is not the extent of the iMac update. What the iMac actually needs in the short-term is lower prices and a faster processor. What it needs in the long-term is a rethink of its design. There have been several threads recently that have made some interesting suggestions .

Who "needs" an iMac?? It's being sold to people w/ $3000 to spend immediately (to go along w/ iPod, digital camera/video purchase) and want a computer w/o all the hassle of shopping for a monitor and finding room for a tower and monitor. If Apple was about getting cheap computers to the masses then they wouldn't have stores in Tysons Corner or Clarendon,VA (umm, no broke people shop/live around there)

The masses they speak of are the ones (believe it or not) who want to use computers but don't know much/want to learn about them. And that's a luxury people will pay for. That extra $$ pays for iLife updates and research that Apple has the luxury to do that other companies don't.

Kinda like tipping your fav bartender...afterall , you could be at home drinking the High life or spending extra enjoying it w/ friends at the pub...
post #32 of 178
Consumers can still get a 15 or 17" iMac for a fairly reasonable price. The 20"er is for geeks like us who don't want to spend all the money on a PM G4 AND 20" display but want a lot of screen real estate.

Yeah, in a lot of ways it's overkill. Hell, the damn thing almost looks like it's going to tip over with that monstrosity on it, but it's also as sexy as a 36DD Playboy Bunny -- even just as top-heavy.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #33 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by Yevgeny
Folks, the 20 inch iMac is not an intro all for the masses machine. They should buy the 15 inch iMac. . . .

*SNIP*

. . . People have been complaining about the high price of the whole iMac lineup ever since the iMac lineup went LCD.

So why is the 15" $1299 instead of $999 or at least $1049 new? Sure you can pick up a refub for 1K, but a "used" computer is a HUGE psychological barrier to most consumers.

Apple can't tell me that they couldn't sell the iMacs $100-200 cheaper.
post #34 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
Geez, after all these years some of you people are still ranting about how "overpriced" Apple computers are! For what you get in an iMac, you can get the same specs in a Dell or Gateway and the price will be slightly higher. Want a cheaper Apple computer, then buy an eMac. Apple never proclaimed that the iMac was for the "masses". Stop making up things like that. Apple is doing fine. They are profitable, leading the industry in innovation and are going to have a great Holiday selling season.

you should stick to just quoting press releases cuz when you speak for yourself you make no sense.
post #35 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave
The iMac is not a "need" computer, it's a "want" computer. Most people want big screens even if they don't need them.

People can be so 'big headed'.
post #36 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirkland
Apple's iMac pricing is not what it should be. I loved my 15" LCD iMac, and it was well priced when it rolled off the line two years ago, but the machines have not fallen in price as they should. They are out of line with industry pricing trends. Each of the iMac models should have about $200 knocked off it's current price -- $300 for the 15" LCD model.

I love the new iMacs and their look, but they are woefully underpowered machines for the price points they command. Slow processors, slow buses, and beautiful displays should not add up to $1,300 to $2,200 computers.

At the very least, if Apple's going to charge those prices, they should include built in AirPort and Bluetooth.

The new G5 pricing, on the other hand, is very nice, particularly the lower price for the entry-level G5.

I don't disagree with you about iMac pricing. What's so great about the low end G5 pricing? I suppose the expandability is what make you say it's a good deal, but compare it to an iMac which comes with a display and I think the G5 is overpriced too.
post #37 of 178
Apple desktop Pricepoints

800 eMac
1100 eMac
1300 iMac 15
1800 iMac 17
2200 iMac 20
2500 G5 1.6 w/ 17 inch studio display
3200 G5 1.8x2 w/ 17 inch studio display
3700 G5 2.0x2 w/ 17 inch studio display

its a pretty nice smooth price ramp. I do think they could really increase Switches with a $300 across teh board cut so the eMac starts at 500, iMac at 1000 and G5 w/o screen 1500.
post #38 of 178
I have to say, when I think of the iMac, I primarily think of it looking good in my house. That's got to be the main rationale behind their marketing.

For performance I'd definately rather go with a powermac, but something about the iMac would fit just perfectly on the breakfast bar in our kitchen. Combine it with a TV reciever (el gato for now, but preferably some HDTV thing in the future) and it becomes the center of our world. Serving video for breakfast, recipies for my wife, and learning games for my kids.

It just looks so damn good! Wish I had the money to make such an asthetic choice.

--
"Evolution is not random. Mutation is random, but natural selection is entirely non-random. Evolution doesn't predict that all the complexity of life just came together randomly. "

--
"Evolution is not random. Mutation is random, but natural selection is entirely non-random. Evolution doesn't predict that all the complexity of life just came together randomly. "

post #39 of 178
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

15-inch iMac: 21.2 pounds
17-inch iMac: 22.8 pounds
20-inch iMac: 40.1 pounds

That weight gain can't be all screen. Maybe they had to make the base heavier to help counterbalance it?
Why am I whispering?
Why am I whispering?
post #40 of 178
Quote:
Originally posted by CaseCom
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

15-inch iMac: 21.2 pounds
17-inch iMac: 22.8 pounds
20-inch iMac: 40.1 pounds

That weight gain can't be all screen. Maybe they had to make the base heavier to help counterbalance it?

certainly would seem so
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 20" iMac Is Here!