or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Dual 1.8 G5

Dual 1.8 G5 - Page 2

post #41 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by MacUsers
this stinks... if i would have waited one more month i would have gotten a dual for the same money

Welcome in the club.

However if it's a bad new for us, it's a good new for others customers (where is the crying smiley ?)
post #42 of 77
wait.. well this makes me feel a tiny bit better... the dual 1.8 actually costs $100 more than the 1.8 single... man.. i am still pretty angry at this... i bought it last month
post #43 of 77
Quote:
wait.. well this makes me feel a tiny bit better... the dual 1.8 actually costs $100 more than the 1.8 single... man.. i am still pretty angry at this... i bought it last month

I use mine only since 12 days ...
post #44 of 77
Powerdoc your signature confuses me

Fellows

Dual? or not Dual?
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #45 of 77
Return them quickly and get the dualie one... Sure you could do it. At least one law (in England at least) allows you to return goods purchased off the internet to be returned if you've only had them for a few weeks... Or is it days.... \
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
post #46 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by CaseCom
I may have to look more closely at an iMac when I get a new machine next year. ... I'm still coveting a G5 though since it would stay "current" longer than a G4.

If you're looking to buy next year, you might as well wait for the rev. B Power Macs get released (MWSF/spring?).
post #47 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Thanks for bringing some sense and consolation into my world. You're right. My computer kicks ass, and will for months to come. I was stupid to be that ungrateful. It's iompossible to keep a computer up-to-date anyway, and that's just the way it goes.

That said, I'll be buying a Dual 3.0 in August.

You know, I really can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not, Placebo, but if you aren't. . . certainly you can kick your 1.8 to me at that time. I bet you're telling the truth, in which case you must be Paris Hilton's little brother or something. . .
PPC4EVER
PPC4EVER
post #48 of 77
Yes, it is time that Apple Produced a Dual 1.8. They sould also have a Dual 1.6. The whole line should be Dual. PCI-X is not the path for this line. PCI-Express is the future of computing for the next ten years or so. Serial ATA 2 is also going to be very important internally and externally. You will see greater adoption of SATA when native optical drives can be supplied. Samples of these are just starting to appear.
Their is going to be a technology explosion in hardware this year on both sides of the line.
post #49 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by rustedborg
Not anytime soon, but probably in late 2004 or 2005.

Powerlogix currently offers dual G4 upgrades for people who have single-processor or dual-processor G4 machines. I know Powerlogix and Sonnet Technologies are already working on getting their hands on G5s for a series of G5 upgrades ... so I suspect it's only a matter of time before we'll see dual G5 upgrades available.

I'm just curious if Powerlogix or Sonnet will manage to fit one or more G5s into G4 PowerMacs, or if the G5 upgrades will only be available for G5 owners.

I hight doubt that you could get a G5 to work on a G4 mobo. Even if you did, that <133MHz memory bus would probably get in your way and make the upgrade not worth it.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
post #50 of 77
the problem with the processor upgrade is that they ARE expensive

Getting a dual G4 upgrade is around the same as the price you pay for a brand new machine after selling your old one.
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #51 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook
Powerdoc your signature confuses me

Fellows

Dual? or not Dual?

Well this year i made a huge informatic investissement for my office :
- powerbook 17 inch
- single 1,6 G5
- single 1,8 G5
- dual 2 G5
- gigabit ethernet switch
- epson perfection 3200
- la CIe 20 inch LCD
- Acer 17 inch LCD
- Ilyama 15 inch LCD
- HP printer 7350
- HD firewire 800 200 GB form la Cie
- 2 compacts flash readers
- final cut express
- upgrade for Office X
- upgrade for photoshop 7
- I view media pro 2
- electrical safety devices ...

I invested for the next three years (for fiscal reasons). Initially i just wanted to change one mac after one other, but it's a mess to connect computers under classic with computers under jaguar. It only work with mac os 9,2. So i changed the whole thing.
Even if i used a 4D based software, it's not that fast even on these new beasts, and it was a real pain with the old computers. My old computer was more than sufficiant for my photoshop needs, but it was a total mess for my bureautic usage . I blame 4 D server 6,5,8. I hope that the OS X version will be much faster.
post #52 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis
the problem with the processor upgrade is that they ARE expensive

Getting a dual G4 upgrade is around the same as the price you pay for a brand new machine after selling your old one.

You are right Leonis : it's a waste of money. I should only considerate a single G4 upgrade for 400 $ and a video upgrade for 150 $ : i am still waiting.
post #53 of 77
They (1.8 single owners) are cryin' a river over at Apple Discussions right now... http://discussions.info.apple.com/We...m.10@.599c9dd5

Personally, I didn't buy a G5 yet, because I thought the only one worth buying was the dual 2.0, and it was out of my price range. The 1.6 & 1.8 didn't look like any kind of bargain. Also, I was waiting for Rev 2, having been thru this before with my Rev 1 B&W.

I can't believe anyone would think Apple planned to rip off its customers. I am sure they went with what they had at the time, & took the earliest opportunity to step up, probably when yields of 1.8 chips got better. The biggest sore point in this whole deal is the very long time gap between product announcement and availability. If I would criticize Apple for anything, it would be that. But they were hard pressed to announce the G5, or be buried by the competition.
post #54 of 77
The SP to DP 1.8 is one sweet update, way better than in the days of dual G4 450/500 and dual 604Es as now we have OS X and actual support for the second CPU
The nvidia 5200 may be a weak card but take out that useless modem that nobody use anymore and add that ATI 9600 and you have a very nice computer8)
post #55 of 77
This is a bit OT, but what the heck. I for one would never use a Mac desktop.. simpily becuase a well configured XP box using PC Hardware will whip the Mac's ass for half the cost. Sheer cost/preformance ratios, PC's win hands down. Plus I have a much wider choice of moniter, and much more customizablity.. besides, I play games on my desktop so a mac is out the question. I plan to use my iBook I'm buying for my work and other stuffs, while my desktop for games, warez, and downloading.
post #56 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by scavanger
This is a bit OT, but what the heck. I for one would never use a Mac desktop.. simpily becuase a well configured XP box using PC Hardware will whip the Mac's ass for half the cost. Sheer cost/preformance ratios, PC's win hands down. Plus I have a much wider choice of moniter, and much more customizablity.. besides, I play games on my desktop so a mac is out the question. I plan to use my iBook I'm buying for my work and other stuffs, while my desktop for games, warez, and downloading.

"In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"
15" AlBook
------------
1.25GHz eMac
12" 1GHZ iBook
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"
15" AlBook
------------
1.25GHz eMac
12" 1GHZ iBook
post #57 of 77
Quote:
this stinks... if i would have waited one more month i would have gotten a dual for the same money

I feel your pain. But remember, there's always that nice Dual 3.0 waiting for you in July.

I'm actually really happy about this, even though it kind of sucks for me. Apple is really competitive right now.
post #58 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Mac
You know, I really can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not, Placebo, but if you aren't. . . certainly you can kick your 1.8 to me at that time. I bet you're telling the truth, in which case you must be Paris Hilton's little brother or something. . .

No, I'm not being sarcastic about loving my G5. I just polished it yesterday, and put up a little shrine. You know, what every mac user does.

If you want it for $1900, I might consider. Let's see...then I'd have to get another $600...never mind. Maybe next year.

But buying a Dual 3.0...maybe I'm not to serious on that account. The G6 will come soon enough...probably by next winter or summer.
post #59 of 77
I give my Sony Wega TV birthday parties. It's wish this year was for a new stand... and it got it.
post #60 of 77
I cracked. I broke down
Goodbye LCD iMac
Hello dual G5
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
I cracked. I broke down
Goodbye LCD iMac
Hello dual G5

Great choice. Congradulations on your G5 purchase, and welcome to the world of fast.
post #62 of 77
i've just stoped my 1.6 order ...

Now moving to 2 x 1.8 !

"I don't have technofear, I have TECHNOJOY!" - Eddie Izzard
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k6C_HjWr3Nk
"I don't have technofear, I have TECHNOJOY!" - Eddie Izzard
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k6C_HjWr3Nk
post #63 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by scavanger
simpily becuase a well configured XP box using PC Hardware will whip the Mac's ass for half the cost.

Um, there's this G5 thingy now you might want to look at.
post #64 of 77
Quote:
Great choice. Congradulations on your G5 purchase, and welcome to the world of fast.

Thanks. I'm so ready for a fast dualie. I've been waiting for a G5 since the original rumors on The Register, the old Mot. G5 that burned up and faded away.

I'm so happy.
post #65 of 77
Ok, dual G5... well, I'm still using my G4 Sawtooth, 1g ram, piggy-backed with 120gig HD =140gig, and when working with a 350mb Photoshop image, it takes forever, and I mean forever...

Would you believe it takes my wide format Epson printer less time to print out that file than it takes to save it!!

So, I need a faster machine, and am geared towards the 1.8 dual G5. Now, that would certainly speed things up with regards to large photo files. How, will a dual processor help, as opposed to a single processor,ie., working with just a single program?
I am, therefore I am not you...
post #66 of 77
Depending on the program. Photoshop CE or 7 with the G5 patch will take advantage of the dual processors. Photoshop loves ram also, if your working on a large file ie 500MB. Having 2GB or more will show the performance gain compared to the 512MB stock.

Same here, now that the Dual 1.8 has that nice price on it. I think I'm going to upgrade also!!
Ah yes, now I can breath!

Ah yes, now I can breath!

post #67 of 77
Thanks, Altivec... makes sense. of course. So, it's not just completely for running more than one program at the same time then? Something I rarely do.
post #68 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by elbogo
How, will a dual processor help, as opposed to a single processor,ie., working with just a single program?

Mach will be able to run the OS threads on the other processor. You can see this in the process viewer graph. So it's not twice as fast, but it's not as if the other processor goes unused as it did in OS 9.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #69 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by elbogo
Ok, dual G5... well, I'm still using my G4 Sawtooth, 1g ram, piggy-backed with 120gig HD =140gig, and when working with a 350mb Photoshop image, it takes forever, and I mean forever...

Would you believe it takes my wide format Epson printer less time to print out that file than it takes to save it!!

So, I need a faster machine, and am geared towards the 1.8 dual G5. Now, that would certainly speed things up with regards to large photo files. How, will a dual processor help, as opposed to a single processor,ie., working with just a single program?

I'll second Altivec's comments. If you're running files that are that big in Photoshop you probably need 2Gigs of ram (even if you get the dual G5). I was amazed at the difference an extra gig made to my PS performance with my last machine.
The avalanche has already started. It is
too late for the pebbles to vote.
post #70 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
I cracked. I broke down
Goodbye LCD iMac
Hello dual G5

That's exactly what I said and so I called up old Apple and said cancel that 17" iMac. Gimme that there dual 1.8 and slap that ATI 9600 in there while you're at it.

I walked away $100 cheaper (I had the iMac loaded with 1GB RAM and 160 HD). Sure, I'm doing without the ever coveted Apple LCD for a while longer. But hey,I'm leaving Gate's world behind and stepping into the light for crying out loud! All in 64-bit style.

BTW, Apple is not a "luxury" computer as someone stated earlier in the thread. The Lexus is just an overpriced Toyota with a few extra gimmicks/gadgets to "justify"(<-I say this laughingly) the price tag. The Mac has always acheived technological/engineering breakthroughs over and above anything derived by or Intel. I have only recently discovered this, but it is true.

That's why I'm desperate toleave my current job selling a particular brand(think b&w cows) of Windows PC and going to work at the Apple Store opening here in Feb.

Ok, I'll shutup now.
Mac, where have you been all of my life.
post #71 of 77
Hey when I typed , Gate's company, it filled it in with smileys. Whassup with that?

I'm new here.
post #72 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by nrpenny
Hey when I typed , Gate's company, it filled it in with smileys. Whassup with that?

I'm new here.

Just the mods having some fun. The aforementioned corporate entity's name - and its many variations (think -$oft) - tend to be used around here a lot. (Some swear words are also given the treatment.)

One or more of the mods gave a more in-depth explanation regarding this a few weeks ago, but I can't seem to find the thread now.
post #73 of 77
Quote:
Originally quoted by Apple
Order Status as of 11:06 PM PST, 11/21/2003 Shipped
post #74 of 77
Quote:
Any chance that I'd be able to buy an extra processor?

if you mean "can i add a second G5 cpu to my single G5 machine (1.6 or 1.8 )"
then the answer is NO. the board doesn't have the connectors.

if you mean "can i add a G5 upgrade card to my G4/G3 machine"
then the answer is why... mobo bus on your moto board is still choked at 167 Mhz
you wouldn't get G5 performance due to bottlenecks in the old architecture.

if you want "full" 64-bit performance in a system built for it, you'll need to get a dual g5

but maybe that's not what you were asking...
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #75 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by Altivec_2.0
Depending on the program. Photoshop CE or 7 with the G5 patch will take advantage of the dual processors. Photoshop loves ram also, if your working on a large file ie 500MB. Having 2GB or more will show the performance gain compared to the 512MB stock.

Same here, now that the Dual 1.8 has that nice price on it. I think I'm going to upgrade also!!

Right now, Photoshop only recognizes 2 gigs. It doesn't matter if you have 8 Gigs, but it will require a scratch disk if you exceed 2.

Sucks, huh?
post #76 of 77
Quote:
Right now, Photoshop only recognizes 2 gigs. It doesn't matter if you have 8 Gigs, but it will require a scratch disk if you exceed 2.

Sucks, huh?

Yep. I was starting to drool over the fact that the dual G5s can take 8Gigs, but then I remembered yesterday that PS only uses up to 2. So it's kind of a waste for those of us who just want a fast PS machine.

Now that news is out that the next G5s will be out sometime between January and March of 2004, I wonder what the next lineup will look like. Here's my guess (and that's all it is):

Dual 2.8GHz G5 (DDR533) $2999
Dual 2.5GHz (DDR400) $2499
Single 2.0GHz (DDR400) $1799

I'd love it if Apple could make all the PowerMac G5 models dual, but I don't think they'll manage to keep pricing at $1799 if they go dual.

I also think it's safe to say the 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz G5s will make their way into a G5 iMac or all new G5 desktop sometime between January and March.
post #77 of 77
microsoft
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Dual 1.8 G5