or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › My rubber foot

My rubber foot

post #1 of 8
the rubber feet are falling off my powerbook.. do I worry? do I just rip them all off? I heard rumors it is bad for the computer..
flick.
post #2 of 8
The rubber feet fell off my laptop a year ago. I've had computer problems but they are not rubber feet related. The laptop tends to slide off slanted school desks easier so be careful.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #3 of 8
The feet provide enough gap between PB and surface for a minimal degree of cooling
without the direct thermal transfer that literal laptop use provides.
I recall the old PB 170 getting quite toasty on lap, back in the day...
actually extended its legs(!) and balanced them on my knees.

The feet also provide a modicum of vibration dampening (useful during disk write).

Replacements are available.
Some folks substitute other heat-resistant pads (cork, acrylic, etc)

iCurve/stands are also an option if you want to attach keyboard or run lid closed.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #4 of 8
I guess I should have specified. I do have an iCurve I use at home. But I go to school with it and use it all day there too. Yep I lug this thing every where except the shower. Won't make that miskate.. agian. today.
flick.
post #5 of 8
Related question... I'm retired my Pismo to act as a real honest to god Digital Hub in the home entertainment center. USB wireless keyboard/mouse, S-Video to the receiver, etc, etc.

The issue is cooling... it's in a cabinet with two VCRs, the 800W receiver, a DVD player and a 200CD changer. :/ It gets quite toasty in there as it is... probably 85-90deg. I'd like to ensure some decent air flow around it most of the time, and generally keep it cooled more than it is now, just resting on top of the DVD player. Problem is... I have about 1/2" of clearance to play with. Considered small cork feet, but am still concerned about the heat build-up with the lid closed.

Any comments?
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #6 of 8
i ripped all mine off , then super glued them on...
no worries
i have a picture of bigfoot on my mac.
i have a picture of bigfoot on my mac.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by fishboy
i ripped all mine off , then super glued them on...
no worries

super glue won't wreck the laptop? or the feet for that matter?
flick.
post #8 of 8
Supperglue will eat plastic. I would use a plastic modeling glue you could get a a hobby/craft store.
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › My rubber foot