or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to build pc capable of running windows xp

Apple to build pc capable of running windows xp - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Worst. Thread. Ever.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #42 of 79
No.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
post #43 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
Worst. Thread. Ever.

You just got my vote for creator of the worst thread ever, and Governor of California.

"Why is anyone replying?" <- Was my original thought.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by satchmo
For these rare (hopefully less and less) instances, it looks like we might need software emulation afterall.

Suppose it ran both Windows and OS x. Didn't apple make a performa that had a built in DOS card years ago? The idea is obviously to give business customers a crutch, should they make the switch. I don't know how bad it is, but it seems that halfway solutions almost always fail.
post #45 of 79
It wouldn't be a "small niche" product as some have suggested. Developers would take it as a sign to dump the Mac OS.
post #46 of 79
Apple should not do this...

Apple make good computers, they use good components etc. They just happen to be based around a PPC instruction set. If you want to run windows on your Mac, then write a nice letter to MS and ASK them to compile you a Apple / PPC version of windows.

Remember, Operating systems are designed to run on various hardware. NOT the other way round. Thus, the decision of which hardware you buy is based on which OS you think will give you the best features for your needs.

There are plenty of very good, very well designed Wintel machines around. Remember You are not going to find these machines at your local PC World / Walmart. These companies are interested in 1 thing only... the Sale!!! The quality of components comes second only to how much markup they can make on a particular brand.

The best advise is to make your own!! get onto Google and hunt down the components and reviews on the quality if these components...

Here is a start, Crucial RAM, MSI Gfx cards (nVidia / ATI chipsets) ABIT mobo's (Intel / nVidia chipsets), Maxtor HDs. etc...

These are based on continuous reviews of good quality... Not the fastest or newest! It is possible to build a "PC" as good as quality as a Mac, but you will always ruin is by running windows!!!

Edit:
An even better idea would be to write a letter of complaint to the manufacturer of DVD's stating that there are many cross platform multimetia applications (Flash / Shockwave), Java etc, and that you are very dissapointed with them and would have to take this into consideration before buying their products again.

If we all just sit here moaning on forums, these companies are never going to support OSX
"Choice. The problem is choice."
-- Neo
"Choice. The problem is choice."
-- Neo
post #47 of 79
Lest we forget: Commodore were easily beating most other manufacturers in the late eighties and early nineties with some exceedingly slick and powerful hardware - from blitters and HAM (an early memory efficient true-colour system) to pre-emptive multitasking, interprocess scripting, and a just plain elegant (Workbench 2 onwards) GUI.

So what went wrong? Answer: They started building PCs. Suddenly they were trying to get profits in a commodity marketplace. They controlled the Amiga market, but were just another player with PCs. Bankruptsy followed, and the world lost a good platform and the choices were reduced.

It's not even as if Apple's entry would be unique because Apple would introduce something new and wonderful. Apple would find their choices limited and controlled by Microsoft, which means other than a few aesthetic and reliability conscious choices, they'd be producing the same as everyone else. They'd also be up against pretty stiff competition - contrary to Apple-fan belief, Dell and Gateway are not the only manufacturers of PCs. IBM and Sony, to name but two in radically different markets, already have a reputation for elegant, original, high-quality PCs.

I think it's more likely Sony et al will pull out of the PC market than it is Apple will enter. And if Apple does enter, well the analysts will start to actually be telling the truth when they refer to the "beleaguered" computer maker...
post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by M.O.S.T
So is this going to have a ADM chip or Intel?

or are you going to convince Microsoft XP to support the G5 chip?

if by some stretch of the imagination longhorn turns out to be nix based then it could be ported to the g5 (mac).
post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by AsLan^
if by some stretch of the imagination longhorn turns out to be nix based then it could be ported to the g5 (mac).

There were PowerPC and Alpha editions of Windows NT 4. With modern Windows, it can be done. The problem is the time and effort Microsoft would need to spend porting everything, while Microsoft gets basically the same amount of revenue regardless of how much work they do.

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
post #50 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by M.O.S.T
So is this going to have a ADM chip or Intel?

Since when are CPUs made out of corn syrup?

I have to say that it would never have occurred to me that Apple's hardware would take that much getting used to. The big leap is the operating system. So while I'm sympathetic to people who'd like OS X on Intel just to be able to dip their toes in for $129 or so, I really don't understand this.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #51 of 79
This threadstarter is certainly thinking different!

What would hurt Apple more in the long run? An Apple computer running Windows or a PC running the mac OS?

And vice versa what would benefit Apple more in the long run?

My first reaction is that it would be far worse to have a mac principally running Windows. But that is just me.

I have never bought into the argument that Apple is a hardware company. They are a full widget company. Machines and software are one and the same. The experience is not complete without both at the same time. The whole widget is well thought out and designed as one.

The mac OS belongs on the mac and the mac should principally be designed for the mac OS .

For some reason, the nix users using the mac don't bother me.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #52 of 79
The original poster's main wish, I suspect, is for a PC case and peripherals with the fit-and-finish that Macs have.

With all the custom case manufacturers out there, it's a sad commontary that we are only left with the choice between beige boxes and illuminated hot rod cases that look like they're from an episode of the Outer Limits.
post #53 of 79
To the original poster:

putting the apple on a computer that runs windows only, would be like buying a dell.

have you thought about why you like the Apple logo? the first answer is wrong.

i'm going to guess it's not JUST the way it looks...if dell were to do cool things with their OS (oh wait, they don't have one..) then you'd probably be saying the same thing about Dell's logo.

Are you really trying to say that you'd like it if Games ran in OS X just as they do in XP? (a hard project to over come, i might add)

-walloo.
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
post #54 of 79
ok ok take a bmw and put in a chevy engine, and tran, sell like hotcakes!!
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
...and quite a few concert DVDs (Ms. Crow, Benatar, etc.) .

That's the funniest thing I've read on this thread.
post #56 of 79
I don't think it's a bad idea necessarily. Apple makes it profit on hardware, though the software lures people to the hardware. They make really good hardware. Mac fanatics might stay with the OS. Others tied to the wintel platform might spend some money on Apple

However one of the biggest strengths of Apple is its strong corporate brand and verticle integration. Selling an xp mac would definitly be seen as diluting the brand or "giving up". Diluting the brand might not mean that much to us but it means a lot to the corporate types.
post #57 of 79
Why would they want to. They are already making profits and have been even through bad economic times.

The old story is that they would gain market share, and what? the same amount of profit; whoopee. With the market share they can tell everyone how wonderful they are. They already make money and continue to...
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #58 of 79
I don't think you've caught on...but THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING A MAC IS TO HAVE THE STABILITY AND ELEGANCE OF MAC OS X!

Case closed.
post #59 of 79
EXACTLY
post #60 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
I don't think you've caught on...but THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING A MAC IS TO HAVE THE STABILITY AND ELEGANCE OF MAC OS X!

Case closed.

First, I DO NOT think Apple should make a Windows PC. Yet, if Apple ever decided to make one, it would NOT be a MAC and would not be called a Macintosh. It would just be an elegantly designed Windows PC, and Apple would call it something else. A different variety of Apple?

In my opinion this would be a waste of engineering talent, and risk some misinterpretations by the public. Not worth it.
post #61 of 79
I believe everyone in this thread has it backwards....................What if Apple made OSX for PCs.........and introduced it in their superbowl add!

hhhmmm
post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by aircft.sys.spec.
I believe everyone in this thread has it backwards....................What if Apple made OSX for PCs.........and introduced it in their superbowl add!

hhhmmm

Sigh.... read the other (lengthy) thread on this subject.

In short, the reason is that if Apple made OSX for PC hardware (setting aside the fact that no existing PC or Mac software would support it), it would give education and business buyers no reason to buy expensive Apple hardware when they could get cheap Dell hardware instead.

Apple's hardware sales would then be limited to enthusiasts and freelance artistic types for whom style was more of an issue than cost. Do you know many such people? No, me either, so Apple's hardware sales would fall like a lead balloon.

Since Apple makes all it's money on hardware, it would go bankrupt and that would be the end of Mac OS.

Still sound like a good idea?

Socrates
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
post #63 of 79
If Apple's G5 hardware could run Linux (not just Yellow Dog) natively could it run Windows as well? Hmmmm...
post #64 of 79
O.K. ..........I'll be quiet, now.
post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
If Apple's G5 hardware could run Linux (not just Yellow Dog) natively could it run Windows as well? Hmmmm...

Apple runs PPC-native ports of Linux, not Intel ports of the OS. In order for the Mac to run Windows natively, M$ work have to reintroduce the PPC port of its OS. M$ abandoned the PPC port of Windows NT 3.5 because Apple, IBM, and Motorola refused to pay the development costs. The Redmond monopoly shows no signs of wanting to re-expand its OS offerings beyond Intel-compatible processors.
post #66 of 79
Passions still run high on this subject.

But consider the impossible.

1. A portable Unix OS (Apple stays IBM PPC as long(!) as the chips perform. I don't think Apple could take another four year long performance hit... So Marklar is maintains. A bitter pill to swallow. A last ditch option. Steve Jobs maintains that Mac OS X is very portable. Not a statement to dismiss.)

2. iPods ARE now 'PC' hardware (or...compatable with PCs...) The leading music player in its field. PC makers are groping to catch up. And while I'm not fond of Apple's mildy(!) excessive pricing...the iPods, for now, are flying off the shelves. (But I think they'd reach critical mass much sooner if they begin making periodic and aggressive price cuts...)

3. Apple has great versions of Quicktime, iTunes and a fully loaded iTunes Music store that is the leading music download store/software on the PC!

4. Apple has X-Serve. Very competitive on hardware and license pricing...

5. iSight. iChat AV.

The last one is Mac only. But the iSight, technically isn't(?) In my opinion the iChat AV has the potential to be absolutely huge in Enterprise AND consumer PC land. Video conferencing that works.

And in education? A huge hit.

It's the one Mac iapp that is a natural PC app' to port. And the kind of killer app' Apple could reach critical mass with. We're talking waaaaaaaay more than the 25 million installed Mac base.

I await San Fran 2004. It should be interesting.

Oh. And number 6. Apple is now generating nearly 40%(give or take) of it's revenue from non-Mac hardware. ie Software, services, iPods and other products. And that figure is set to rise...

Anybody spotting a trend. (Clue, look at Apple's software division in 1999. What's that? Yes. You're right. They didn't have one. Now look at their software division. Apple are how big? Not as big as M$, not as big as Adobe. But after that? Third? In the top 5 of software developers? And Fred Anderson said that lots more software was coming...and he said nothing about it being Mac only...)

Draw your own conclusions.

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #67 of 79
Ummmmmmmmmmm, ok, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yeah, not really, conclusion: THEY MUST ALL BE CRAZY!

Can anyone please tell me how "Elegant PC" is not an oxymoron. This is really disturbing me...

Oh well, who cares it's only a PC.

Ok, back to studying. I think. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

THEY ARE ALL CRAZY I SAY!!!
Wisdom comes after stupidity.
Therefore a punpun is a real pun.
Wisdom comes after stupidity.
Therefore a punpun is a real pun.
post #68 of 79
Hey wait, Apple does build a personal computer capable of running Windows XP.

I have one! But I use Windows 98 instead, because it has less overhead.

It's a PowerMac G4 Cube... with VPC 6.0 installed.
post #69 of 79
Looks like they took note of what i said :-)
post #70 of 79
They couldn't handle the truth!

Welcome back! Any new tidbits to offer that the unwashed masses can dismiss again!
post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by microdisiac View Post

Because you changed your initial post in which you said in the last sentence:
Quote:
... that runs windows xp not osx???

into
Quote:
... that runs windows xp and osx???

Doesn't make your initial post correct.

[edit]
Can someone lock this thread?
It has nothing to do with future hardware, or in this case, future software, anymore.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #72 of 79
Quote:

Looks like they didn't.
post #73 of 79
The switch to Intel was a 'Black Swan' event.

Helluva call back in 2003.
post #74 of 79
Quote:

Did you seriously dig up a 5 year old thread, modify your original post to make yourself look right, and then brag about how you were right?

Wow, that is pretty pathetic.

Those time stamped post modification notifications are a bitch...
post #75 of 79
Lol, if he'd just said "and" originally, this would definitely be a mad propz moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beg View Post

Did you seriously dig up a 5 year old thread, modify your original post to make yourself look right, and then brag about how you were right?

They are a bitch
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
post #76 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The switch to Intel was a 'Black Swan' event.

Helluva call back in 2003.

Amazing call he then predicted a ipod that would make phone calls .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #77 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg View Post

My thoughts exactly. WTF...2003?
post #78 of 79
I really do not like when people want windows to run on the mac if you want a machine that runs that crap then go out and buy one of the pieces of junks that are unfortunately out there that comes with your windows xp like hp, dell, lenovo and run windows that way dont want a machine with an apple logo and that run windows for its main os If you want apple to run windows then you really are on crack sorry no offense
post #79 of 79
Who in the world would think of this nonsense certainly not apple this was a brain dead idea. Although it will be better then any windows pc out there today because i'm sure that apple would make it more stable and durable than any others but what am I saying dum idea because it will never ever happen and if it did then there would be no purpose for apple and for that fact who would want a windows pc anyway when you can have MACINTOSH just saying the whole pc thing its waste of time. A windows pc is the same old technology with very few new features if any and a new name.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to build pc capable of running windows xp