or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTMS in Australia as early as Q1 2004?

iTMS in Australia as early as Q1 2004?

post #1 of 11
This is interesting. Although I doubt it'll happen, here's the link.

Perhaps Apple are waiting for major 'areas' around the world to get their act together, so they can go ahead with a world wide "international" iTMS release.

Again, I doubt this'll happen, but we'll see... m.
Killing me isn't going to help you. It isn't going to do me much good either, is it? -- The Doctor
Killing me isn't going to help you. It isn't going to do me much good either, is it? -- The Doctor
post #2 of 11
This would be very cool. Remember, rumors about this are way more likely to be true than general Apple rumors, because in this case Apple is talking to the music industry. And the music industry leaks like a sieve.

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four

post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Barto
This would be very cool.

Well, it was important enough for an article in The Australian, and it sure looks like a race to grab the Australian market...

Quote:
Remember, rumors about this are way more likely to be true than general Apple rumors, because in this case Apple is talking to the music industry. And the music industry leaks like a sieve.

Barto

Well, even if it is true, and the service does come out, I won't be using it. I prefer to go out and buy the polycarbonate disc and cover. I like to feel what I buy. m.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Merovingian
I prefer to go out and buy the polycarbonate disc and cover. I like to feel what I buy. m.

I don't have that option with the number of copy protected CDs out these days. If it can't play on my iPod, no sale.

Barto

post #5 of 11
That nineMSN one sounds like a good deal. Decent list of labels... too bad they will use Windows Media, there's no way I'll be buying any of that. If it were in a format that would play on the iPod I would seriously consider using it, that is if iTMS didn't make here in time.
My digital hub: Power G5 Mac Dual 1.8GHz 1.25Gb/200Gb | iBook 600 DVD/384Mb/20Gb/AirPort | 5G iPod 60Gb | K700i | Lumix FX8
My digital hub: Power G5 Mac Dual 1.8GHz 1.25Gb/200Gb | iBook 600 DVD/384Mb/20Gb/AirPort | 5G iPod 60Gb | K700i | Lumix FX8
post #6 of 11
Quote:
I don't have that option with the number of copy protected CDs out these days. If it can't play on my iPod, no sale.

Barto

Got Placebo's latest the other week. It was copy protected, but that didn't stop the ol' powermac rippin' it to iTunes.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkL
Got Placebo's latest the other week. It was copy protected, but that didn't stop the ol' powermac rippin' it to iTunes.

Copy protection can always be circumvented. My friend had a CD with copy protection, so he couldn't use iTunes to import it, but it worked flawlessly for me, (we both had exactly the same computers, etc. too).

Oh well, there's always a workaround. m.
post #8 of 11
Well, it seems quite likely that Apple may release international versions of the iTMS at Macworld, in my opinion.

The reason I say this, is because Australia has just got its first music download service this week, (though it's not the iTMS, but it also isn't a BuyMusic.com, I think).

It's by a company called Destra which I have never heard of.

Hmmmm...

Edit: <sarcasm>OMG!!! OMG!!! It uses WMA format!!!</sarcasm>. What a waste of potential... m.
post #9 of 11
Are you sure that this only came about this week? Anyway it says:
Quote:
Please note that this site is optimised for use with Internet Explorer 6.0. Our music downloads are not compatible with any Mac OS at the moment. It will be functional with other Operating Systems in early 2004.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally posted by WJMoore
Are you sure that this only came about this week? Anyway it says:

Well, I'm sure it has, as the Sanity.com.au site didn't mention any online store about 2 weeks ago, (when I last went there), and I didn't see the AustIT article last week, either. \

Perhaps Australia might get the world's only viable music download system within the coming months... m.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Merovingian
Well, I'm sure it has, as the Sanity.com.au site didn't mention any online store about 2 weeks ago, (when I last went there), and I didn't see the AustIT article last week, either. \

Perhaps Australia might get the world's only viable music download system within the coming months... m.

Reason I ask is if you go hre there is a number of companies using this service and I know Dick Smith has been doing music downloads for a long time now.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTMS in Australia as early as Q1 2004?