or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The official Dean's thread

The official Dean's thread - Page 3

post #81 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence
Howard Dean is good not only for America, but for the rest of the world.

Yep he is so intelligent.... Just so well studied with the issues and never the deer in the headlights problem...

Sort of like George W Bush.....

Dean,,, Bush what's the difference?

http://ftp.archive.org/movies/lisare...daily-dean.mov
Yeah,,, really what America needs.... yeah... and the world.... and all that jazz...

Sure..

Why vote for a man like Clark when we can have Dean

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #82 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook
Why vote for a man like Clark when we can have Dean

I'd vote for Dean because he has the balls to speak out against the war and not just Bush's approach to the war. I'll never vote for Clark or Lieberman for that reason. Still don't know a whole lot about the candidates, though, so I'm completely undecided.
post #83 of 269
Quote:
Yep he is so intelligent.... Just so well studied with the issues and never the deer in the headlights problem...

from the nelson report:

Quote:
12. With the endorsement by former VP Al Gore, Howard Dean's chances of being the Democrat's presidential nominee are looking increasingly realistic. That means we all have to start looking at his policy pronouncements for substance, and not just as political maneuverings.

-- a friend attended a small, very private fundraiser for Dean recentlyand despite going in fairly skeptical about Dean on substantive grounds, came away impressed on several levels.

13. Our friend asked Dean two trade related questions: first, would Dean have made a different decision on the steel 201's? (Yeshe would have kept them in place); and how does Dean see the issue of managing U.S.-China trade problems. (That's more complicated.)

-- "Dean gave a long, actually somewhat over-long answer, but one which clearly showed he had thought this all through, and wasn't just reciting staff-generated talking points," our friend reports.

14. Dean said that he would have kept the steel 201's in place, and that he will support a tougher trade enforcement stance on China, and other U.S. trading partners, not to raise barriers in the U.S., but to encourage China and other, lesser developed trading partners to "raise their standards".

-- Dean said that he originally supported NAFTA and China's WTO membership precisely because he feels that, in the long run, free trade "helps create a middle class", and that, "eventually" it will in both Mexico and China. The problem for now, which is to say, the problem for the political process, is that "the U.S. has not got time to wait" due to the trade deficit, and job losses which will never be replaced by adequately paying employment.

15. Dean made a point of saying that he often talks about all this with Clinton Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin, and claimed that he and Rubin "are on the same page" about U.S. economic and trade policy, at least in terms of "how to get there."

-- our friend, an experienced financial and political observer, came away "frankly impressed" that Dean "can position himself well to take advantage of Bush on the 201's, and to address the job loss issue."

16. Stylistically, our friend said, "Dean is very, very intense", which sometimes is risky for TV, but that if Dean can keep his temper under control, "he seems likely to be able to reach out to 'emotional moderates' who are dissatisfied with Bush and worried about the future".

-- as to worries that Dean is "another McGovern", our friend noted recent polls showing that whereas McGovern was very unpopular with lots of Democrats, Bush is just as unpopular, now, with many Democrats. The pointcross-over voting by Democrats in 2004 is not likely to hurt Dean, as it killed McGovern in 1972.and current polls show that Bush is close to even with leading Dems.
post #84 of 269
Quote:
[B]Why vote for a man like Clark when we can have Dean

I like Clark a whole lot, but you should be aware that there are some quite compelling criticisms against him (not that this is at all unique to him--he's moses compared to Bush) and it would be good for you to really look into them.
post #85 of 269
Quote:
That video is the best... Do I even have to spell out why Dean is a screwtard?

Fellows

Hu? You must be seeing something I don´t.

They have two issues with Dean.

1) His smile. Lets disregard that

1) That he is saying "There are some issues out there I haven´t made my mind up about and I have to look into that further before I take a position on those". Lets break that down.

1.1) His stance on gay marriage. We all know what Deans position is on that. No religious ceremony but common law marriage with exactly same rights. A position shared by almost anyone not hardcore republicans. What they actually showed was one clip where he is trying to semi-dodge the question and a clip clearly taken from some other part of the interview. I think he is trying to paint himself more liberal than he really is but know that when the first few primaries are over he will not be pussyfoot about that issue.

1.2) His stance on medical mahjuana. What he is saying is "Hey I don´t know the medical and social impacts of this yet to make up my mind. Lets find out and I will give you my position". Thats exactly what Clark does in so many issues and what makes him a strong candidate in my eyes. Not having a deck of cards with the right ideas ready to spew out. More honest also

Thats what the video leaves us with. A candidate that is pussyfoot on gay marriage because he knows that thats an issue that probably divide hardcore democrats and the general population most. Yeah that surely disqualify him as a candidate

Now I would like to see Clark as the candidate as much as you would but Dean would make a good one too if Clark doesn´t win the nomination. A lot better than the rest of the pack.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #86 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
What he is saying is "Hey I don´t know the medical and social impacts of this yet to make up my mind. Lets find out and I will give you my position".

I see this as a cool position for Dean to take. We should have a candidate who supports decisions based on research rather than coming to the table with a predetermined stance.

Quote:
A candidate that is pussyfoot on gay marriage because he knows that thats an issue that probably divide hardcore democrats and the general population most.

Exactly. Could we expect an electable candidate to say anything different?
post #87 of 269
Anders has it 100% correct.

This video shows nothing to justify your dislike for Dean. You use a clip from The Daily Show?

Ummmm.... it's a parody of the news. They'd poke fun of your mother if she was a top story. Sorry man, you got nothing.
post #88 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by Akumulator
Anders has it 100% correct.

This video shows nothing to justify your dislike for Dean. You use a clip from The Daily Show?

Ummmm.... it's a parody of the news. They'd poke fun of your mother if she was a top story. Sorry man, you got nothing.

Compared to Clark Dean is a joke. First off the opening post of this thread raises a flag for me. Read over it again if need be.

As to what you call me on.

Deans comment about Gay marriage:

I am not gay and it does not affect me one way or the other but on the issue of gay marriage:

Clark on MSNBC for one hour with Chris Mathews said he is for equal rights for Gays and civil unions.

What does Dean say? I have not thought about that...... Crickets....

I just think a person who is running for president should be prepared for questions asked by Larry King.

Fellowship

post #89 of 269
Quote:
Compared to Clark Dean is a joke. First off the opening post of this thread raises a flag for me. Read over it again if need be.

As to what you call me on.

Deans comment about Gay marriage:

I am not gay and it does not affect me one way or the other but on the issue of gay marriage:

Clark on MSNBC for one hour with Chris Mathews said he is for equal rights for Gays and civil unions.

I just think a person who is running for president should be prepared for questions asked by Larry King.

Fellowship

Maybe he hasn't thought much about it...

You can't expect someone to [always] have a black and white decision... even when they're running for President. He appears to be honest. I don't have a clear decision on several matters in life, even those I have thought about considerably. Not everything is simple and clear cut... he probably needs more time to think about this particular issue. No big deal really.
post #90 of 269
I'm amazed by what I'm reading here. Bush might not be the most articulate person to grace the office, but he is certainly not stupid. And what is more important, if not most important, he's got VERY good political instincts. This conversation reminds of what I read of those leftist intellectuals back in the old days of Soviet Russia. They installed Stalin into power thinking him to be stupid a donkey, but turns out the guy out maneuvered the whole lot of them. I wonder why would Gore back-stab his old running mate like that. Is he seriously thinking he still got a future in politics?
post #91 of 269
Quote:

Exactly what Deans position is too

Quote:

That was a comment on GAY MARRIAGE. And as we all know he is AGAINST gay marriage (which he is actually saying with his "what other states want to do is their business").

WHat is Clarks position on gay marriage Fellwship?
post #92 of 269
Quote:
Compared to Clark Dean is a joke.

As I pointed out, I don't want to attack clark because I think he might be very good, but you are really going to have to deal with the criticisms at some point.
post #93 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by majorspunk
I wonder why would Gore back-stab his old running mate like that. Is he seriously thinking he still got a future in politics?

maybe.... are there term limits on VP? I don't think there are..............................he may be interested in being VP again>
post #94 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by Akumulator
Maybe he hasn't thought much about it...

You can't expect someone to [always] have a black and white decision... even when they're running for President. He appears to be honest. I don't have a clear decision on several matters in life, even those I have thought about considerably. Not everything is simple and clear cut... he probably needs more time to think about this particular issue. No big deal really.

Actually thats not quite right. He is against gay marriage.
post #95 of 269
The environment,

How is Dean's record?

Quote:
With his sights now set on the White House, the Dean team has been doing its best over the last year to polish up a mediocre gubernatorial record. They're also trying to position Dean as "the liberal" in the Democratic field so as to grab the much-coveted early primary voters.
And nowhere are the tall tales of Dean's liberalism more off the mark than when the Dean team begins to gush about his environmental record.
"EP under Governor Dean meant Expedite Permits, not Environmental Protection," proclaims Annette Smith, the director of Vermonters for a Clean Environment.

Quote:
"Dean's attempts to run for president as an environmentalist is nothing but a fraud," Smith told Wild Matters. "He's destroyed the Agency of Natural Resources, he's refused to meet with environmentalists while constantly meeting with the development community, and he's made the permitting process one, big dysfunctional joke."

CounterPunch Link

compare that to Clark:

Turnaround Plan for America: Clean Air

Environmentalists for Clark

Fellowship

post #96 of 269
Look, the most important thing is to get Bush out. Attacking Dean isn't going to do it, it will only serve to make none of the democrats get elected.

You don't want to end up feeling like how nader 2000 supporters do today.
post #97 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
Look, the most important thing is to get Bush out. Attacking Dean isn't going to do it, it will only serve to make none of the democrats get elected.

Dean will not win the South, Clark would.

But hey we will all have to watch this unfold.

I just hate to see Bush get re-elected because some democrats think Dean is the coolest thing since paper.

Fellowship

post #98 of 269
An critical article about Dean vs. the homepage of the Clark campaign.

Yeah that is a fair comparishment.

At least it confirm my argument that Dean isn´t a liberal

I am for Clark but it doesn´t mean you have to every other candidate as the enemy.
post #99 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
I am for Clark but it doesn´t mean you have to every other candidate as the enemy.

Exactly. They should gain support on their own merits, not on the 'problems' of the others. If you want to talk about problems, the only place worth looking is Bush. That's the alternative.
post #100 of 269
I believe that episode of The Daily Show isn't very recent. Jon Stewart talks about Dean making the cover of those magazines, and that happened some months ago. If the point was to show that months ago Dean wasn't sure where he stood on some issues, that's fine, but I think things are a bit different now.

Two links from what might be opposite sides of the fence depending on how you feel about the sources:

Conservative columnist William Kristol in Tuesday's Washington Post.

CNN's summary of where Dean stands on several issues.
mlnjr@comcast.net
iChat: mlnortonjr@mac.com
mlnjr@comcast.net
iChat: mlnortonjr@mac.com
post #101 of 269
Quote:
I'm amazed by what I'm reading here. Bush might not be the most articulate person to grace the office, but he is certainly not stupid. And what is more important, if not most important, he's got VERY good political instincts. This conversation reminds of what I read of those leftist intellectuals back in the old days of Soviet Russia. They installed Stalin into power thinking him to be stupid a donkey, but turns out the guy out maneuvered the whole lot of them. I wonder why would Gore back-stab his old running mate like that. Is he seriously thinking he still got a future in politics?

"back-stab?"

Troll.
post #102 of 269
Quote:
That video is the best... Do I even have to spell out why Dean is a screwtard?

You'd have to define it first, but yes.
post #103 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
"back-stab?"

Troll.

i think captainspunkmeyer made a valid point.
lieberman has every right to feel betrayed.
post #104 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
I'd vote for Dean because he has the balls to speak out against the war and not just Bush's approach to the war. I'll never vote for Clark or Lieberman for that reason. Still don't know a whole lot about the candidates, though, so I'm completely undecided.

Lieberman and Clark are pretty far apart on the war. Lieberman is what you say (supports the war but is against Bush's approach), as are Gephardt and Edwards. Kerry is a bit less supportive, but Clark is the most anti-war aside from Dean and the nobodys (Kucinich et al.). Actually Dean and Clark are probably pretty close on their position on the war.
post #105 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by chu_bakka
You forget that 49% of the American Public already thinks the war was a bad idea.

I thought that was wrong, and I just had to find the poll:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/polls/t...-iraq-poll.htm
Never had ONE lesson.
Never had ONE lesson.
post #106 of 269
Betrayed?!

Dean has been conferring with Gore since last September... they've developed a rapport...

I think it's silly to act like this is some big betrayal... that Gore has been out stumping for Leiberman and all of a sudden he switches candidates? that's not what happened... I bet Leiberman was extremely distant from Gore... and didn't even ask for his endorsement. It goes both ways.
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President
post #107 of 269
Quote:
14. Dean said that he would have kept the steel 201's in place, and that he will support a tougher trade enforcement stance on China, and other U.S. trading partners, not to raise barriers in the U.S., but to encourage China and other, lesser developed trading partners to "raise their standards".

-- Dean said that he originally supported NAFTA and China's WTO membership precisely because he feels that, in the long run, free trade "helps create a middle class", and that, "eventually" it will in both Mexico and China. The problem for now, which is to say, the problem for the political process, is that "the U.S. has not got time to wait" due to the trade deficit, and job losses which will never be replaced by adequately paying employment.

You know this is a perfect example of how Democratic policies are criticism followed by perfection plans.

I would keep the steel tarrifs in place. Of course no mentionod the BILLIONS in retalitory tariffs that were ready to be levied back against the U.S.

Support a tougher trade stance on China... how?... no specifics, just nice rhetoric. Raise their standards? How.... again the same....

In reality, making them raise their standards means making them raise their costs which means it is really....fair trade...

Then we see the whole second half, where the U.S. is responsible for creating middle classes in other countries. That is why some people have labeled fair traders racist. So somehow we have to stop the cost of creating these middle classes and the job losses as well, but not actually harm these countries. Just convince them to raise their standards and wages to where their people would make the same amount as ours. Then they could trade freely with us, but they would lose since it would be cheaper to produce it domestically than abroad which is why they don't raise the standards in the first place and.....

It's the perfect plan...really....and it's better than what Bush did, I swear...

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #108 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton

i don't think that you have listened to Clark.
He is more than merely critical of the means of executing a war, but very very critical of the decision to have gone to war at all.
Clark can get right on the anti Bush rhetoric . . . you'd be surprised if you listened to him . . . he is not merely a conservative looking for an opportunity to get swing votes . . he is elloquent and critical

and he does not mince words about his critiqu of the war either: probably, as I guessed earlier, he is too eloquent for people to actually understand him though . .
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #109 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
I would keep the steel tarrifs in place.

Disregarding, of course, the fact that this represents the TOTAL hipocrisy of the Conservative mindset as it operates in the US:
We can absolutely FORCE developing countries to adopt "Fair Trade" and make it a stipulation on their Emergency Loans, and thereby undercut their whole economies with our government subsidized exports (just the tip of the iceberg here too)

and we do so becuase the "Free Trade" is "Good for them" in the long run
. . . just a little 'shock treatment' . .

However, when actual Free Trade threatens our own industry we hippocritically deploy tariffs

Why do I even need to point out the deep hippocrisy here!!!!!!!

What is the real interest?: PROFIT

Let it be known: I AM FOR TARIFFS. however, they cannot be selective and only for the powerful, and, they must be something that the importing country can decide to impose in order to save their local industry . . .
if we can impose tariffs then Third World Countries should be allowed to impose tariffs!

It is worse than the Mafia really!!! I mean, whole countries' economies are at stake . . . large populations kept in poverty (look at Jamaica!!) so that we can force subsidized imports as well as strong arm them into accepting "TAX FREE ZONES" which amount to SLAVE LABOR CAMPS!!!

We should also understand that it is really in our interest to aid countries to develop their infrastructure where there is none . . . . and dare I say it, in many developing countries, that means that they should have a measure of "SOCIALISM"; where there are certain services that are taken care of in a not-for-profit manner (medicine, low cost housing). . . until that country has the infrastructure, (AND A LOCAL ONE TOO not a string of Burger Kings!!) necessary to allow private economic development and growth!.

"in the long run" it would grease the skids of equitable global economic development without stunting real human lives
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #110 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
Disregarding, of course, the fact that this represents the TOTAL hipocrisy of the Conservative mindset as it operates in the US:
We can absolutely FORCE developing countries to adopt "Fair Trade" and make it a stipulation on their Emergency Loans, and thereby undercut their whole economies with our government subsidized exports (just the tip of the iceberg here too)

and we do so becuase the "Free Trade" is "Good for them" in the long run
. . . just a little 'shock treatment' . .

However, when actual Free Trade threatens our own industry we hippocritically deploy tariffs

Why do I even need to point out the deep hippocrisy here!!!!!!!

What is the real interest?: PROFIT

Let it be known: I AM FOR TARIFFS. however, they cannot be selective and only for the powerful, and, they must be something that the importing country can decide to impose in order to save their local industry . . .
if we can impose tariffs then Third World Countries should be allowed to impose tariffs!

It is worse than the Mafia really!!! I mean, whole countries' economies are at stake . . . large populations kept in poverty (look at Jamaica!!) so that we can force subsidized imports as well as strong arm them into accepting "TAX FREE ZONES" which amount to SLAVE LABOR CAMPS!!!

We should also understand that it is really in our interest to aid countries to develop their infrastructure where there is none . . . . and dare I say it, in many developing countries, that means that they should have a measure of "SOCIALISM"; where there are certain services that are taken care of in a not-for-profit manner (medicine, low cost housing). . . until that country has the infrastructure, (AND A LOCAL ONE TOO not a string of Burger Kings!!) necessary to allow private economic development and growth!.

"in the long run" it would grease the skids of equitable global economic development without stunting real human lives

pfflam I agree with you in a big way with your post here.

Equitable global development is a priority of mine as well. Fair trade rules and regulations need to be adjusted and understood by all trading parties and global in observation. "Piece by piece" tariff by tariff at will is dangerous. GAFTRAR (Generally accepted fair trade rules and regulations) is my solution to this problem.

Until the world adopts a a trade model with integrity such as my GAFTRAR model we will live in a context of political manipulation and corruption at the expense of human dignity and progress.

Fellowship

post #111 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar
i think captainspunkmeyer made a valid point.
lieberman has every right to feel betrayed.

Does he?
post #112 of 269
Lieberman was so never going to be president.
post #113 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by finboy
I thought that was wrong, and I just had to find the poll:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/polls/t...-iraq-poll.htm

Yup. 60% approve of going to war in the first place.
51% think it's been botched since then.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #114 of 269
Gore basically betrayed Clinton too, so Lieberman shouldn't have been surprised.

I think where Lieberman is wrong is in thinking that Gore has changed since 2000, from a Clinton moderate-type Democrat to a populist Dean-type Democrat. Gore changed for the 2000 election. He became a populist for that election. He wasn't a Clinton moderate-type when he picked Lieberman.

What's funny to me is that Lieberman is absolutely right in the center of where Clinton was when all the Dems loved him. What's changed is Bush - everyone is so eager to be the anti-Bush, that we say "get rid of all the Bush tax cuts!" even if it's not smart politically.

I'm still voting for Lieberman in the primary (if he makes it this far), but I think Clark is probably going to be the only hope for those of us who want to actually win the general election.
post #115 of 269
l am not a specialist of US politic but i have read an interesting paper about Howard Dean.

They said that the man was a perfect candidate for the primaries, and have all the chances to win. The problem is that unlike Clinton who was a neo left (the equivalent of Blair), Dean is a tax,tax, spent, spent politician.
The man is not enough at the center, and too much at the left of the democrat party, to have a chance to win the election.

In short, Howard Dean is the best chance for GW Bush.
post #116 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Gore basically betrayed Clinton too, so Lieberman shouldn't have been surprised.

I think where Lieberman is wrong is in thinking that Gore has changed since 2000, from a Clinton moderate-type Democrat to a populist Dean-type Democrat. Gore changed for the 2000 election. He became a populist for that election. He wasn't a Clinton moderate-type when he picked Lieberman.

What's funny to me is that Lieberman is absolutely right in the center of where Clinton was when all the Dems loved him. What's changed is Bush - everyone is so eager to be the anti-Bush, that we say "get rid of all the Bush tax cuts!" even if it's not smart politically.

I'm still voting for Lieberman in the primary (if he makes it this far), but I think Clark is probably going to be the only hope for those of us who want to actually win the general election.

very very very well said.... all points.

Fellows

post #117 of 269
Leiberman was good enough to be Gore's vice President but not not good enough to support now that Leiberman is running for President? That's fscked.
post #118 of 269
Quote:
Leiberman was good enough to be Gore's vice President but not not good enough to support now that Leiberman is running for President? That's fscked.

Why? There was no Dean at that point, and Lieberman was running as a VP on the ticket. He's completely unelectable as a Presidential candidate.
post #119 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Why? There was no Dean at that point, and Lieberman was running as a VP on the ticket. He's completely unelectable as a Presidential candidate.

From memory Lieberman was supposed to add votes to Gore. He was a man of high moral standarts, at the contrary of Clinton. By choosing Lieberman, Gore claimed, that he was very different in a moral point of vue from Clinton.
Lieberman was a sort of add. That's why Gore may supported him as vice -president but don't want him for president.

In the US constitution, excepting when the president is defective, the vice president do almost nothing except some minor official appearances.
post #120 of 269
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
He's completely unelectable as a Presidential candidate.

Why? What's wrong with him? Policy wise, he seems to be the closest to Clinton.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The official Dean's thread