or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Saddam Has Been Captured

Saddam Has Been Captured - Page 2

post #41 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Were there any law in Iraq that Hussein broke? Thats often the problem with trying leaders in the country they formerly ruled in.

They could use "international law" (whatever that means) in Iraq. It's not rocket science.
post #42 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by dstranathan
I LOVE the lice inspection footage. So embarrassing. I wonder if they also checked him for dingleberries (weapons of ass destruction)

Genius! Absolute genius!
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #43 of 270
Bout time!!! Congrats to the U.S. forces who helped make this possible. What a great way to wake up on a Sunday.
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
post #44 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Were there any law in Iraq that Hussein broke? Thats often the problem with trying leaders in the country they formerly ruled in.

Well let's see : murder (by his own hands), genocide, rape, burglaring (he robbed a bank just before the US attack : and it was the state money not him).

Futhermore, he will judeged upon the new Iraqis standart. I think you where reffering to Pinochet, who has resigned, and built for him a special status.
Saddam case is different, he has only ennemie in the new Iraq governement : he will hardly find support.
post #45 of 270
He really does look like a drunken and disheveled Macy's Santa Claus who has been living in a rat hole the past six months. We couldn't have gotten him in a better situation...he's in a very embarassing position, he's not being martyred, he will be tried in both Iraqi court and International Court, and if this is anything like the Slobodan Milosevic situation, once the trial hits, or hopefully even before, it will effectively bring a swift halt to 99% of the terrorist and anti-Coalition attacks in Iraq. Unfortunately this will do wonders for Bush's numbers but if it stops the fighting and killing, brings home the troops, and allows the rebulding of Iraq, another 4 years of a Bush administration is a small price to pay. Merry Christmas Iraq and America...
post #46 of 270
Wow, he had $750,000 in US currency.

Now lets not forget about the guy that crashed 4 planes killing 3000 people. Maybe he and Saddam can be cell mates.
post #47 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB
So the only loonatic still in the wild is GWB now.

Joking or not, this kind of statement is beyond the pale. I love when people compare Bush to Hussein, Hitler and Stalin. Disagree with the policy, don't call the man a genocidal maniac. Good rule of thumb.

And pssst: It's L-u-n-a-t-i-c
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #48 of 270
Allah's will be done! He never liked Saddam anyway, phony Muslim that he was. OWnt.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #49 of 270
Now back to topic. This is such a huge thing. My feeling is it will reduce attacks and be a tremendous psychological boost to the Iraqi people and coalition forces.

As for Bush, it won't just be a temporary boost. He will be able to point to this in the election. And imagine if Saddam cries uncle and we find a massive stash of WMD. Bush might as well thumb his nose and say "I told you so". If that happens, the election is 100% OVER. I'm not saying it will...but it might.
post #50 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
As for Bush, it won't just be a temporary boost. He will be able to point to this in the election. And imagine if Saddam cries uncle and we find a massive stash of WMD. Bush might as well thumb his nose and say "I told you so". If that happens, the election is 100% OVER. I'm not saying it will...but it might.

That's really all I can muster in response to this post.

Anyway, I think they should have a big old show trial for the next year, with victim after victim describing how they were tortured or their family members killed. Then at the end of the whole thing they ought to just execute him.
post #51 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell

That's really all I can muster in response to this post.

Anyway, I think they should have a big old show trial for the next year, with victim after victim describing how they were tortured or their family members killed. Then at the end of the whole thing they ought to just execute him.

Oh superb! Let the insults fly. Unless you have an argument to counter what I posted, then take your rolleyes smiley and.....

Like Bush or hate him, this is huge for him politically It's huge for Iraq. It's huge for the troops and coalition.

Tell me otherwise.
post #52 of 270
Quote:
Tell me otherwise.

The rolleyes are warranted because this isn't a thread about Bush politics. You really do have a religious fever when speaking about that man. Man love I'd say.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #53 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Then at the end of the whole thing they ought to just execute him.

Death is too good for this man. They should torture him with the means he used to torture thousands...hell...even make up a few techniques. Pull out his finger nails one by one, pour scalding acid on his skin to melt it off...stuff like that. He deserves no less, and neither does bin Laden when we get him.
post #54 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by filmmaker2002
Death is too good for this man. They should torture him with the means he used to torture thousands...hell...even make up a few techniques. Pull out his finger nails one by one, pour scalding acid on his skin to melt it off...stuff like that. He deserves no less, and neither does bin Laden when we get him.

This is entirely wrong. This is a time when good must defeat evil, not become evil itself. Try him for his crimes, and execute him quick and mercifully. To torture him would be doing the very things he is loathed for.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #55 of 270
i hope this brings the Iraqi people a sense of closure on this entire mess.
post #56 of 270
I wonder if his head will be mounted on a plack in the oval office?

My that's a nice trophy heat you got there bush. - someguy
Thankyou, it only took a few billion to catch him too. - Bush.
post #57 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by rageous
This is entirely wrong. This is a time when good must defeat evil, not become evil itself. Try him for his crimes, and execute him quick and mercifully. To torture him would be doing the very things he is loathed for.

Well...that's what I would do. But I'm sure we'll just try him, convict him, and lock him up for the rest of his life. I don't believe International law allows the death penalty to be enacted after the conviction of war criminals anymore. I just say make the law that he follows (eye for an eye) applicable to the monster that he is...I see no reason for mercy for such a person, if Saddam could be considered a person. Or better yet...hand him over to the families of those he tortured and killed and let them do with him what they will...
post #58 of 270
...or one of the allegedly dozens of Saddam lookalikes has been captured.

Looks like BadSanta/Saddam (but so did they). Moles are different.
(And would we really have Santa's DNA for comparison?)

$750,000 in your pocket and you can't buy some grooming?
... the Iraqi barbershop infrastructure must have been bombed harder than we thought.

If it is Saddam, nice to have him off the table,
better if any trial is international (to rebuild international reputation...
a Bremer-appointed or US packed court would be worst case for PR)
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #59 of 270
Quote:
Death is too good for this man. They should torture him with the means he used to torture thousands...hell...even make up a few techniques.

It is always interesting to see how fast so called civilized people resort to absolutely the same level of cruelty as some random psychopathic dictator.

You should be ashamed of yourself, you are no better than Saddam, Udai and Quasai.
post #60 of 270
All I can say is:

FINALLY!

I'm very surprised that he didn't fight back and that he was taken alive. The trial is going to be a very interesting process.

Now let's get the real terrorist, Bin Laden, before Al Qaeda can plan/pull off another major attack.
post #61 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by Smircle
It is always interesting to see how fast so called civilized people resort to absolutely the same level of cruelty as some random psychopathic dictator.

You should be ashamed of yourself, you are no better than Saddam, Udai and Quasai.

Sorry if my rage for his actions leaks into uncivilized resolutions for this guy...but I've been affected by monsters like this first hand, much of my family suffered under the war criminal Milosevic who committed very similar crimes in Bosnia and Croatia. So my perspective is a little different than yours...and I'm sure I'm not the only one in this world who would like to take a crack at the guy...

and I'm no better than Saddam, Udai, and Quasai? I'm sure you don't mean that...I've never hurt anyone in my life. My views on how a monster should be treated puts me at a level of mass murderers, rapists, and terrorists? Wow...
post #62 of 270
<fires gun into the air>

<runs to avoid falling bullet>

and the real truth comes out -- Saddam dyed his mustache!

Here's to a fair trial by his peers. He deserves it. (The outcome of a fair trial for him is perfectly obvious.)
post #63 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto

[snip]
Here's to a fair trial by his peers. He deserves it. (The outcome of a fair trial for him is perfectly obvious.)

Umm... getting a pineapple crammed up his ass every day for the rest of his life?
post #64 of 270
Quote:
My views on how a monster should be treated puts me at a level of mass murderers, rapists, and terrorists?

Unfortunately yes. Because he's a human being just like the members of your family in Bosnia and Croatia.
post #65 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes
Umm... getting a pineapple crammed up his ass every day for the rest of his life?

Sounds like a plan to me....
post #66 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Unfortunately yes. Because he's a human being just like the members of your family in Bosnia and Croatia.

To each their own...
post #67 of 270
Quote:
and I'm no better than Saddam, Udai, and Quasai? I'm sure you don't mean that...I've never hurt anyone in my life.

You were never at the helm of a state and never held absolute power. It is always easy to behave civilized if you are one of millions of ordinary guys. See Milosevic, he never tortured, raped or killed anyone until he had the power in his hands.
post #68 of 270
This must be the best news of the week! Lets hope attacks on poor iraqi civilians and innocent soldiers will decease. And may peace prevail in Iraq this festive season.
iSurf, iSaw and iType
iSurf, iSaw and iType
post #69 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by rageous

Yes.
post #70 of 270
So what are the odds that Guantanamo is getting a special new inmate?

One would think that clearly, Saddam counts as a POW (Iraqi commander-in-chief) and not an "enemy combatant", but US adherence to the Geneva convention seems a little loose whenever the "terrorist" filter gets applied, and the desire for extended interrogation without the inconvenience of pesky lawyers may mean a stay in Cuba.
post #71 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by Smircle
You were never at the helm of a state and never held absolute power. It is always easy to behave civilized if you are one of millions of ordinary guys. See Milosevic, he never tortured, raped or killed anyone until he had the power in his hands.

There's a big difference between killing millions of innocent civilians and wanting to see the murderer of millions of innocent civilians treated as he treated millions and their families. But obviously my comments are being taken to places I never intended them to go, so let's let this thread get back on topic...
post #72 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
he is supposed to be tried in an Iraqi court. I heard that they must wait after the independance in order to start the trial.

Saddam's Hussein trial, belongs to Iraqi people.

Aw. What a quaint notion. The Iraqi People!

NO!

If he has committed war crimes, then that's something the Hague should handle. It would also be a great gesture from the Bush administration which has unilaterally pursued its foreign policy goals to give up Saddam to international authorities.
post #73 of 270
Quote:
Well...that's what I would do. But I'm sure we'll just try him, convict him, and lock him up for the rest of his life. I don't believe International law allows the death penalty to be enacted after the conviction of war criminals anymore. I just say make the law that he follows (eye for an eye) applicable to the monster that he is...I see no reason for mercy for such a person, if Saddam could be considered a person. Or better yet...hand him over to the families of those he tortured and killed and let them do with him what they will...

Quote:

Hello, Saddam. How are the authorities treating you?
post #74 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Hello, Saddam. How are the authorities treating you?

Well, they shaved my beard, got the lice out of my hair...man it was crazy down in that hole. I made friends with a rat named Bubba...those were good times...
post #75 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by dstranathan
I LOVE the lice inspection footage. So embarrassing. I wonder if they also checked him for dingleberries (weapons of ass destruction)

post #76 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Aw. What a quaint notion. The Iraqi People!

NO!

If he has committed war crimes, then that's something the Hague should handle. It would also be a great gesture from the Bush administration which has unilaterally pursued its foreign policy goals to give up Saddam to international authorities.

In egyptia for example the public opinion want a trial in Iraq ruled by Iraqi people.
Saddam have never done anything against me. At the contrary he have done several crimes among his population. And his population have the right to have a trial, where victims or their family could speak.

It will be a form of therapy for Iraqi people
post #77 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

what's with the ass fetish around here. are you guys gay?
post #78 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB
So the only loonatic still in the wild is GWB now.

Not quite. Lieberman's statement has to be seen to be believed.
post #79 of 270
Quote:
Originally posted by burningwheel

Quote:
Originally posted by burningwheel

post #80 of 270
Quote:
Oh superb! Let the insults fly. Unless you have an argument to counter what I posted, then take your rolleyes smiley and.....

Like Bush or hate him, this is huge for him politically It's huge for Iraq. It's huge for the troops and coalition.

Tell me otherwise.

I'm sorry if that rolleyes hurt your feewings. You made a stupid post, and deserved it. Just consider it tough love. It hurt me more than it hurt you.

Do you really not see how crass it is to talk about how this affects Bush in his domestic political situation, hours after this happens? I'm sure there are plenty of Bush's political hacks who see things that way, but why must you? Are you on Karl Rove's e-mail distribution list or something?

"Tell me otherwise" - OK. The only way it helps Bush is if this changes the situation in Iraq. If it slows down the daily killing of US soldiers, it may make people's perception of the situation as a quagmire somewhat less negative than it is now. The drawback of the new framing of this military action as a humanitarian one, done for the Iraqi people, rather than to defend the US from Iraq's WMD, is that it matters less to Americans. "OK, great, we got him, now let's get out so we can stop spending money and getting Americans killed" will be the response, IMO. And of course we can't do that.

And whether it slows down the killing of US troops really depends on the source of the attacks. If these attacks were being carried out primarily by Saddam loyalists, hoping for the day that he could return to power, then this will obviously help. On the other hand, it could also tick them off enough that there will be an increase in attacks. Especially if, as suspected, there's a lengthy show trial in Iraq. But if these attacks are not from Sodomites, but rather bin-Ladenites, as many have suggested, then this won't phase them at all.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Saddam Has Been Captured