or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The Official Mars Exploration Thread (merged and now with poll)

The Official Mars Exploration Thread (merged and now with poll) - Page 4

Poll Results: What should our focus regarding Mars be?

• 57% (28)
    A manned mission
  • 42% (21)
    More unmanned of various types.
49 Total Votes  
post #121 of 340
commentary is resuming with some new animations and updates from the next playback passes

apparently they hit within 10km of target...
of a moving planet, from another moving planet... daaaamn!
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #122 of 340
At the newsconference they reiterated that a spectacular Panoramic color photo will be released that will have 3 1/2 times more resolution then the current black and white one.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #123 of 340
ooooh

First High-res Stereo Pancam images are coming down...

much more detailed, and almost 22 MegaBits of colour imagery
post #124 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Where's this large rock that I keep reading about? I don't see it in any of the images?

immediately at the end of the rover...
may actually have been airbag over rock or rockdust-covered-airbag
new pancam photos with triple resolution will clarify if it's rock or not

should have new photos with the next UHF relay during Odyssey's pass
post #125 of 340
Mars Rover team use Macs. They are in the photo below:

post #126 of 340
Of course they use Macs... what, do you think they're retarded or something? These people are SMART (although I'm guessing they can't dance worth poo).

Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #127 of 340
One thing I just love with all this is the press conferences. They are just a bunch of happy kids which cunning plan to fool the next door kid actually succeeded. They are not gloating but giggling in joy.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #128 of 340
a few AlBooks... wouldn't you love to wardrive onto that Airport Network?

some SoundSticks are visible atop the Flight Directors LCDs in MER control

waiting resumption of commentary for tonight's scheduled deploy of High Gain Antenna and new data

Low Gain is sending 40 bits per second (super slow modem)
HGA will bump it up to 20,000 bps (slow Dialup modem) < 28.8kbps
UHF relay from MGS/Odyssey are in the 256 kbps range (slow Cable modem) < 512kbps but only bursts

damn impressive from this far away
post #129 of 340
Get out your 3D glasses for this anaglyph stereo image from Mars

click for full image
Quote:
This sprawling look at the martian landscape surrounding the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit is the first 3-D stereo image from the rover's navigation camera. A surface depression nicknamed Sleepy Hollow can be seen to center left of the image. Scientists theorize that this topographic feature, measuring about 10 meters (30 feet) in diameter and located approximately 10 to 20 meters (30 to 60 feet) away from Spirit, is either an impact crater or a product of wind-erosion. Image credit:NASA/JPL

full colour high res panoramas are expected near midnight PST tonight
post #130 of 340
I am not staying up until 3am EST tonight.

I mean it.

Honest.

Don't test my resolve.

Oh this is so pathetic.
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #131 of 340
You could go to bed really early, and get up at 3 am....
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #132 of 340
Hell, make a night of it. Just stay up all the way through until the Steve-note. Then when he's done, go to bed.

8)
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #133 of 340
Holy crap! What if they debut something ON MARS!!??

Maybe they'll do an iChat with the Spirit Rover!
post #134 of 340
"One more thing... we've started our own space program. iRovers will take over for Beagle2"
post #135 of 340
I got hooked on the Space Program because of our 6th grade science teacher. One of the girls in our class had an uncle (last name Adcock I think) who was an Astronaut in the 70's, while the shuttle was in development. One day we had a visit by him and another NASA guy, they had all sorts of NASA fliers and photos (still have all that stuff somewhere). They had a section of the ablative tile material and proceeded to the torch test to show us how it could be cherry red on one side and absolutely cool on the other.

Toward the end of the year he had all of the students build Estes model rockets and we'd have a schoolwide rocket day.

NASA TV is on fire right now with the success of the first rover landing. They're running animations of proposed manned trips to Mars with a peppy soundtrack.....boy, those animations sure do make it look easy!
post #136 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by drewprops
They had a section of the ablative tile material and proceeded to the torch test to show us how it could be cherry red on one side and absolutely cool on the other.

I remember that too!
I was in Elementary School (probably 6th or 7th grade) and they had these two guys hold a blowtorch to this brick sized white tile.

Wow, thanks for recalling that long lost memory.
post #137 of 340
You sure that your school didn't just have a really lousy lunch program? That memory may have been suppressed for a reason.....

I wish that NASA TV just had a running video of the control room, or switched back and forth from there to the ISS. Grrrrr. Stupid videos, I've seen them all 14 times now.

Oooh, look, they're running the video again....gotta go.
post #138 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Cake
I remember that too!
I was in Elementary School (probably 6th or 7th grade) and they had these two guys hold a blowtorch to this brick sized white tile.

Wow, thanks for recalling that long lost memory.

they probably tour the same core gee whiz demo, only now the brick is aerogel
post #139 of 340
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #140 of 340
Sweetness.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #141 of 340
Nova had a great hour-long show on Sunday documenting all the nightmares these people went through getting this to happen.

All I have to say is, Holy Crap...unbelievable.

They even replayed it again tonight, adding the new color images at the end. Highly recommended viewing.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #142 of 340
I saw that episode on Monday, it was awesome. What was really amazing was seeing some of the faces from the press conferences from the days before the first lander succeeded. It seems that Gusev Crater was the more adventurous destination of the two!

I agree that oodles of credit have to go out to the navigation team...wow.
post #143 of 340
ding dang it,
Now everybody is going to the site to see the pictures....where were they LAST month!!!? Spoiling the fun for the rest of us. I just wish they'd re-run the damned press conferences again during the daytime when people on the East Coast are awake!

Mebbe I should go read the TV schedule again....
post #144 of 340
NASA TV/Press Office folks are quite good about responding to emails.

The rest of the globe could make the same comment about 0900 PST MER briefings needing more frequent replay. Although the Stardust mission briefings deserved timely coverage and network interview feeds understandably dominated coverage during the first hectic days, the schedule needs work.

ISS daily report are cool, and the ongoing educational curriculum commitments need to be met, but the rest of the daily NASA TV coverage has seemed to be replay of the (now nicely edited) SPIRIT EDL, and almost completely lacking in replay of the morning MER briefing.

To be fair, NTV has run some interview and assembly and "challenges of getting to Mars" segments that seemed reminiscent of the excellent NOVA special, "Mars: Dead or Alive", which itself was the 2nd in its series.

But whatever happened to the live shots of MER control at JPL?

There must be a few streams, and it's possible they're reserving access to some for offsite science team members before opening more up to the masses again.

It's likely webcast schedules will shift once Spirit gets mobile and Opportunity approaches EDL.

But i miss the geeky voyeurism of lurking with roboticists and rocket scientists.
post #145 of 340
Those pics are artificially reddened. Mars actually looks a lot more like Earth. Accurate color pics will be released around the time it is politically advantageous for "them" to do so.
post #146 of 340
huh?
post #147 of 340
You know, the League of Red Headed Gentlemen.
I'm a member.

muaa hahaha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA
post #148 of 340
Quote:
You know, the League of Red Headed Gentlemen.
I'm a member.

muaa hahaha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA

LOL

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #149 of 340
There's a new photo from the mini-TES up now:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/rove...epy-hollow.jpg

The mini-TES photos are pretty whacky, but if it will help them pick a way through sand traps it's a great tool!
post #150 of 340
Quote:
There's a new photo from the mini-TES up now:

Holy crap, Mars has been overrun by marbles! Wait a minute....
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #151 of 340
How many of you folks have read the books by Robinson? How about the books by Ben Bova? I think that Bova's stuff is especially fun because he's kind of stuck in that hard sci-fi author rut of teaching a geology lesson while he's telling his story instead of JUST telling the story.

So if it's in there it's as accurate as scientific knowledge of the day would allow.
post #152 of 340
Sources said Bush will direct NASA to scale back or scrap all existing programs that do not support the new effort. Further details about the plan and the space agency's revised budget will be announced in NASA briefings next week and when the president delivers his FY 2005 budget to Congress.

It's basically a plan to junk any money spent on pure science (sure, the shuttle and the station are probably worth cutting, but there are plenty of other things), and open the coffers to the aerospace industry. Lovely.

from Atrios.

http://atrios.blogspot.com/

Screw sience... he wants glory.
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President
post #153 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Ganondorf
Those pics are artificially reddened. Mars actually looks a lot more like Earth. Accurate color pics will be released around the time it is politically advantageous for "them" to do so.

Each PanCam has a colour filter wheel of 6 or 8 specific wavelengths.
Both the left and right PanCam share a "blue" and "red" filter, but the remaining filters are infrared, near infrared, and a variety of other hues designed to highlight or help increase the contrast of particular features.

The "red" filter that the current colour images are captured with is actually a shorter wavelength of red than the standard 'red' most human eyes see, so the images are not quite the same spectra our eyes detect, but close.

Bear in mind also that the Martian atmosphere, thin as it is, casts everything in a pinkish hue.

Yesterday's MER press briefing included some discussion of the calibration targets on the rover's deck (including one with coloured lego blocks), and addressed some of these issues better than I've done here.
post #154 of 340
There's a great Flash site that explains the details of the Spirit/Opportunity mission's goals...great details, great images, highly recommended viewing!

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/flash/mars-l.../mars2004.html

While Gusev is the technically more challenging landing (according to what I've heard on the NASA programs) it is Opportunity's site that is the most intriguing because of the grey hematite they've spotted....
post #155 of 340
Nice link!
post #156 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by chu_bakka
Screw sience... he wants glory.

I'm a little steamed right now...
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #157 of 340
Eliminating probes is a bad idea, plain and simple. Probes deliver Great Science at Cheap Prices.

Looking back, the space agency has always been subject to the whims of every administration Republican and Democrat alike - but it outlives every administration and lumbers onward.

Going to the Moon is a Big Deal. I want to see it happen. Going to Mars is a Bigger Deal, I'll be amazed if I see it happen in my lifetime but I'm on-board if it's possible.

You guys can get all huffy right now but as far as I know, nobody has read the actual proposals. Please post us a link if you have those documents, I'm sure the media would love to post them!
post #158 of 340

Hey, is that Mars... yep.
post #159 of 340
Yes it is, I watched that press conference. The guy on the right is explaining how Martians sneak up on you and pounce. Very scary stuff indeed.
post #160 of 340
Quote:
Yes it is, I watched that press conference. The guy on the right is explaining how Martians sneak up on you and pounce. Very scary stuff indeed.

yes, if i remember correctly he was explaining what they thought happened to beagle 2...

"first the Martian, who became enamored by this pretty little British number, snuck up on Beagle 2, quickly pounced and is right now at this very moment, we presume, to be furiously dry humping that little bugger...thus the reason there is no transmission yet from this poor, aptly named, space "probe"...

he went on some more, but i forget the rest....dang those space scientist are graphic at times...
and yes, it is funny how they talk in run on sentences

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The Official Mars Exploration Thread (merged and now with poll)