or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The Official Mars Exploration Thread (merged and now with poll)

The Official Mars Exploration Thread (merged and now with poll) - Page 5

Poll Results: What should our focus regarding Mars be?

• 57% (28)
    A manned mission
  • 42% (21)
    More unmanned of various types.
49 Total Votes  
post #161 of 340
Well Opportunity is less than a two weeks from Mars. I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference in terrain between the two sites! The Panorama that JPL released tonight is fantastic!
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #162 of 340

Maestro dataset 1 released
~ See what Spirit sees in your own MER Rover Sim.

as for the view from approaching twin

"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #163 of 340
Oh, look how interesting that the new "panorama" is suddenly reddened again.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...inal-A10R1.jpg

Nice image anyway. Click the link for the full resolution version.
post #164 of 340
Okay, I took a swipe at color correcting the photo you've posted to bring the four color keys more in-line with the photo you've shown that's supposed to be from the lander when it's here on Earth. I didn't nail the exact hues, but the colors are close enough.....so what's up with your point? Are you just saying that they're adding an extra dash of poetic license to the photos to make them Mars-ier or is there something else afoot that we should know about? Do tell!

post #165 of 340
from http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...20040108a.html

and from http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...20040110a.html

Quote:
True Colors of Mars

This image [below] taken on Mars by the panoramic camera on the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit shows the rover's color calibration target, also known as the MarsDial. The target's mirror and the shadows cast on it by the Sun help scientists determine the degree to which dusty martian skies alter the panoramic camera's perception of color. By adjusting for this effect, Mars can be seen in all its true colors.

part of the reason "blue" shifts to "pink" is that that particular shade of shows a strong spectral response in one specific filter wavelength outside our normal perceptual range (but which is valuable for scientific study)

Steve Squyres and Jim ( Pancam lead Scientist ) talked about this exact thing a few briefings ago.
post #166 of 340
Curiousburb, thanks for the additional information, exactly what I was getting at....so Ganondorf, who are THEY and what are they trying to DO to us by shifting the colors?

For real, I'm interested.
post #167 of 340
Great Panorama of the surface!

http://www.panoramas.dk/
post #168 of 340
post #169 of 340
Okay, so it's a possible coverup.

I see that Keith also has an interest in the Martian geological feature known as "the face". Even the hard sci-fi author Ben Bova was inclined to put relics on Mars and there are many archaeological sites here on Earth that could not be proven to be made by intelligent life if you were to have seen photographs of them from a satellite. Physical on-site investigation is the only way to prove it.

But. The odds are so incredibly against that feature being anything other than just that, a feature, I remain disinclined to believe that intelligent life has ever existed on Mars. I welcome the opportunity for someone to disprove me.

Then I want them to prove that it ever existed here.
post #170 of 340
Woo Hoo!!

The Mars Express is going to team with the Spirit to do some complementary observations.....very cool!

Edit: Tonight's the night we roll off onto the Martian regolith!!! Party on!
post #171 of 340
The Lander is Dead. Long Live the Rover.

Six wheels on the surface.

post #172 of 340
Oh no!

They're reporting that the Gusev Crater is "blanketed in volcanic material" and that any evidence of sedimentary deposits were either scored away over the aeons or buried beneath volcanic emissions. They're trying to figure out if Spirit can hightail it off to the far away hills to get closer to potential sedimentary deposits.

Time for a road trip!
post #173 of 340
Good news for Europe and scientists everywhere!
The Mars Express satellite has been delivering fantastic images of the planet's surface!!

Dr John Murray, of the Open University, UK, who is on the camera team, told BBC News Online: "This is the first 3D camera sent to Mars.

"It is 10 times better than anything sent before. We have high hopes for it and how it will advance our understanding of Mars."

He added: "These first images are the culmination of more than 10 years of work. In a matter of minutes, we are able to map an area greater than Great Britain and Ireland showing details down to a few metres in diameter.

"At the end of the two-year mission, we will know the surface of Mars better than we do the Earth.

Follow this link to the Beeb's website for more!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3410631.stm

What are the sheeplike drones of local news reporters going to say when it turns out that the Mars Express mission WASN'T a "failure".

Ha!
post #174 of 340
First Mars Express pictures

click for bigger versions

Picture taken by the High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) onboard ESA's Mars Express orbiter on 14 January 2004. It shows an area 1057 miles (1,700 km) long and about 41 miles (65 km) wide that was captured by the HRSC as the satellite flew at an altitude of 171 miles (275 km).
CREDIT: ESA/DLR/FU Berlin (G. Neukum)

This image shows the Valles Marineris region in perspective view as if seen from a low-flying aircraft. This perspective view was generated on a computer from the original first image data.
CREDIT: ESA/DLR/FU Berlin (G. Neukum)

Meanwhile, over in Gusev crater...

Spirit is heading for the target rocks "Adirondack", "Sushi" and "Sashimi" in the "Wasabi region"
and making donuts along the way

mmmm donuts...

more about Adirondack and other target rocks
post #175 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by drewprops
How many of you folks have read the books by Robinson?

Yeah, I started reading Robinson hardcore in school. It was different from Chronicles - Bradbury was fantastic, but Robinson's trilogy had the opportunity to dwell into some of the social questions that could arise when colonization happens. It doesn't even have to be colonization - when we establish a research outpost there, all of the same dynamics we go through here will crop up there.

Of course, with Robinson came Zubrin and that led to British conference on Mars habitation etc., etc. Heck! I had planned on using my thesis to investigate the architectural implications for a Mars habitat. I mean, from an architectural point of view, can we import our "rituals of living" to Mars and expect it to work? What kind of changes will we need to face to adapt to a martian environment? Talk about cabin fever, right? So many questions - structure, shelter, materials, psychology... Well. This post is a little OT from the rover mission, but the question you posed concerning Robinson reminded me of something that I haven't looked at in a long time and got all excited again!
post #176 of 340
okay... for those who don't like or dispute the photographic colours of Pancam

Today, Spirit returned the first spectrographic images of Gusev soil

Alpha Particle Xray Spectrometer

Quote:
This graph or spectrum taken by the alpha particle X-ray spectrometer onboard the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit shows the variety of elements present in the soil at the rover's landing site. In agreement with past missions to Mars, iron and silicon make up the majority of the martian soil. Sulfur and chlorine were also observed as expected. Trace elements detected for the first time include zinc and nickel. These latter observations demonstrate the power of the alpha particle X-ray spectrometer to pick up the signatures of elements too faint to be seen before. The alpha particle X-ray spectrometer uses alpha particles and X-rays to measure the presence and abundance of all major rock-forming elements except hydrogen.

Mossbauer

Quote:
This graph or spectrum captured by the Moessbauer spectrometer onboard the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit shows the presence of three different iron-bearing minerals in the soil at the rover's landing site. One of these minerals has been identified as olivine, a shiny green rock commonly found in lava on Earth. The other two have yet to be pinned down. Scientists were puzzled by the discovery of olivine because it implies the soil consists at least partially of ground up rocks that have not been weathered or chemically altered. The black line in this graph represents the original data; the three colored regions denote individual minerals and add up to equal the black line. The Moessbauer spectrometer uses two pieces of radioactive cobalt-57, each about the size of pencil erasers, to determine with a high degree of accuracy the composition and abundance of iron-bearing minerals in martian rocks and soil. It is located on the rover's instrument deployment device, or "arm."

both from Spirit's Gallery for Jan 20
post #177 of 340
Its like you bought all the ingrediences for that great omelet you just love, prepared it all well and perfect and you by accident drop it into the sink where your socks are soaked in washing powder AFTER the stores are closed and you haven´t any eggs left.

Bummer...
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #178 of 340
If you're talking about Spirit, they believe they have contact at 7.8bps - the default "I'm stuck with a RSOD*" software error failsafe mode. News should break soon regarding this. (It's good to have moles at NASA. )

*RSOD - Red Screen of Death. It *IS* Mars, after all.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #179 of 340
Windows MC

Windows for Mars Cars
post #180 of 340
So... how bad is it? <sob>
post #181 of 340
It's alive, it has functioning power systems, some software capabilities, and some communications... but it seems to be bouncing all around the fault tree. They can't get the same error code out of it twice in a row, apparently. \

And, to boot, it refuses to downlink it's main telemetry which carries the debugging data. :P

So it's there, it's just in its own little personal spinning wheel of doom.
post #182 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
So it's there, it's just in its own little personal spinning wheel of doom.

That does sound like a Wintel pc
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
post #183 of 340
Imagine that!

Now we won't get to see all of this http://www.enterprisemission.com/spirit2.htm up close and clearly in focus.

Thriving on conspiracies....

Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #184 of 340
They hope to chat with Spirit more today.....

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...nt_040122.html

"Ive never been on a flight project that didnt have one of these. Every single one that Ive been involved in has had an event like this, or worse than this," said Steve Squyres, principal investigator for the overall Mars Exploration Rover (MER) program. Squyres works at Cornell University, which is collaborating with NASA on the project.
post #185 of 340
Could this have something to do with the Northern Lights I saw last night? I wonder if there's been a lot of solar activity recently, and some cosmic radiation took a likin' to our little beloved up there....
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #186 of 340
And finally...

Shouldn't this thread be merged with the Official Mars Exploration Thread....seems appropriate, instead of having five Mars threads hanging about.

Hat Trick.
post #187 of 340
Bah! Better five Mars threads than five Bush treads.

I go straight to NPR now for all of my "get him out of office, NOW" news... Sure sure, we have all that "sour grapes" talk from the former Treasury official, but it's always more revealing than a web forum when you hear things like the founder of the modern EPA (a staunch Republican all his life), talk about what an incredibly deceitful bunch Bush and his cronies are.

The administration is an abomination; let's talk about Mars for a while. Water and long-ago-manufactured stone parts / tools anyone?

Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #188 of 340
They probably should be merged. I thought the other thread was going to drop off, but, alas, it has been resurrected.
post #189 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs
Bah! Better five Mars threads than five Bush treads.

The administration is an abomination; let's talk about Mars for a while. Water and long-ago-manufactured stone parts / tools anyone?

Hear! Hear!
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #190 of 340
OK, the Lost in Space thread has been merged with the original Mars Exploration thread. Alien conspiracies belong in their own thread.
post #191 of 340
Maybe I should stroll over to the Alien Conspiracy thread to find out if it was the worker-class Martian or the dirigible-class Martian that is holding Spirit for ransom!

Oh! Good news! They appear to have received a 20 minute burst of info from the Spirit rover! All isn't lost!

They were supposed to be drilling into Adirondack when the communications bobble occurred. Hopefully that data has been gathered!?

Also, they had a NASA spokesman on Letterman last night. Dave was really busting his chops about why we would need to send men to Mars. He had a series of photos of the Martian regolith snapped by Spirit...he took a look at one and said "I can tell you right now there ain't nothin' up there!". About five pictures later there was a suspicious looking item on the lefthand side...the camera zoomed in and it was an Applebee's that had been photoshopped into the picture.

Dave said "I guess I was wrong!"
post #192 of 340
Nice update page on Spirit and the entire mission: http://spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/status.html

Sounds like a bug, Dave.
post #193 of 340
Mars Global Surveyor has imaged Gusev crater and spotted Spirit, its heatshield and chute.

less than 31 hours until Opportunity EDL in Meridiani Planum.
post #194 of 340
Saw the briefing today. Despite the fact Spirit is behaving confused pentium it was awesom! They went through the actual data gathered during decent and how the "decenter" had compensated for thinner air and more vertical vind than expected. The above picture and the landers way through that picture was explained.

I say to hell with Mars! THe engineering complexity is much more interesting than a dead red rock.
post #195 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders iBook
Saw the briefing today. Despite the fact Spirit is behaving confused pentium it was awesom! They went through the actual data gathered during decent and how the "decenter" had compensated for thinner air and more vertical vind than expected. The above picture and the landers way through that picture was explained.

I say to hell with Mars! THe engineering complexity is much more interesting than a dead red rock.

That 1000am pst 1/23/04 Spirit briefing is being replayed now on NASATV
post #196 of 340
Wow, it's continually rebooting itself...that's not good for the batteries especially if it's continuing that behavior throughout the night. The forensics team will, I suppose, be running tests on the Earthside version of the rover to narrow down what might be the cause of the bad behavior.

Wasn't there a solar flare during the trip? I'd be surprised if they DON'T discover if the problem was due to radiation, landing shock or inherent poor design.

We're not yet ready to send humans in 2004. In 18 years? Surely we must.

Edit: There are some new computer animations posted up on the JPL site that show Spirit's descent and bounce path - gathered by the sensors onboard. Would be a lot neater if the darned thing was working right now.
post #197 of 340
beautiful and sunny here, settling in for a great day on Mars
post #198 of 340
NASA TV Scheduled events for Opportunity Landing
All times EST
Quote:
January 24, Saturday
*3 - 4 p.m. - Opportunity Landing Update - JPL
*5 - 6 p.m. MER Briefing - JPL
*7 - 8 p.m. - Briefing: "Fireside Chat" with Administrator O'Keefe and JPL Director Dr. Charles Elachi - JPL
*10:30 p.m. - Opportunity Mission Coverage and Commentary - JPL

January 25, Sunday
*1:30 - 2:30 a.m. - Opportunity News Briefing - JPL
*2:45 - 3:30 a.m. - Commentary: Odyssey Pass - JPL
*3:45 - 4:30 a.m. - Commentary: Opportunity - JPL
*5 - 6 a.m. - Opportunity News Briefing - JPL
*6:30 - 10:30 a.m. - Live Interviews on the "Opportunity" Landing - JPL
*1:15 - 1:45 p.m. - Commentary: Opportunity (mgs VHF Pass) - JPL
*4 - 5 p.m. - Briefing: Opportunity Odyssey Pass - JPL
*5:30 - 9:30 p.m. - Live Interviews - JPL
*9:30 p.m. - Commentary - JPL

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasat..._Breaking.html

first briefing about to start

9 hours to Opportunity Landing

EDIT: SPIRIT upgraded from "Critical" to "Serious"
post #199 of 340
Since SPIRIT Landing, NASA has now received 4 Billion Hits from 29 Million different users

They say that's more than all government websites for all of 2003.
post #200 of 340
Ah the power of being a mod.

Please go to the first page and answer what I think is an importent question.

My take: For the same resources unmanned missions will give us much more information than manned missions. It doesn´t have to be rovers in every mission. It could be a platform lander that had a heavy duty drill that was able to look beneath the surface. It could be a ballon station that could send up ballons. The possibilities are huge and you won´t have to use billions to build huge space to transport a few humans there and back.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The Official Mars Exploration Thread (merged and now with poll)