or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › changing startup sound

changing startup sound

post #1 of 45
OooOoOoo... I wonder, is there any way to change the start up sound of my mac? the "duuum" sound does grow old after many many years
The bored one.
The bored one.
post #2 of 45
yeah, that sound sucks!
post #3 of 45
It's stored in ROM on the motherboard.

Good luck changing it!
post #4 of 45
for security reasons....

keep it self sucks....

post #5 of 45
dang... is there any way to set the computer to play another tune? maybe from the HD?
The bored one.
The bored one.
post #6 of 45
Nope.
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
post #7 of 45
"Startup" sound no. Desktop Startup sound, kind of.

from the last time this question was asked

versiontracker has some other utilities, but Classic Startup seems preferred

Not perfect, but does this do what you wanted?
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #8 of 45
just keep it running and only put it to sleep - presto... no more start-up sound
less is more
less is more
post #9 of 45
Do G5s have the same sound? I can't believe they didn't change it for G5s, it's been the same for a lot of new models, the G5 was quite a departure, I thought they'd finally change it. A Surround Sound start up sound, considering it has optical audio, would've been sweeeet. Sort of a swirling around you start up sound, or something. Maybe they'll change it for the iMac 3? The *G5* iMac?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #10 of 45
I don't think it'll change anytime soon. Macs used to change startup sounds pretty often - my parents bought new Macs every few years and I remember wondering what the next one would sound like when starting up. Now, though, they've all sounded the same since the PCI PowerMacs came out, so I doubt there will be a change anytime soon.
post #11 of 45
Isn't the start up sound a B? Isn't that the note that an orchestra plays to tune up? You'd think, I played trumpet for 8 years and was in dozens of concerts, but I can't remember if a B was the note I played to tune up.
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
post #12 of 45
no, a orchestra tunes their A, D, G, C, and E
The bored one.
The bored one.
post #13 of 45
given Jobs and Woz early Phreaking history, it would be funny if it were a harmonic of 2600 Hz
post #14 of 45
Having perfect pitch, I believe the startup chord is either D-flat major or G-flat major... I can't quite remember, and I'm not going to restart my Mac just to find out. :P

EDIT: fine, so I did reboot just to find out. It's sort of G-flat, but a quarter-tone or so flatter than your average A=440hz G flat.
post #15 of 45
God I hate that sound! It's the only thing I'm tired of in my PB
post #16 of 45
They used to have cool ones, like for the 840av. The IIsi and Quadras sounded happy. It's definitely been a record time since the sound changed! Time for a new one!
post #17 of 45
If you look at digital metronomes, you will see that they do have A between 40BPM and 220BPM. To whoever said it, you tuned to B, because you're instrument is Bb. B on a Bb instrument is the equivalent to A concert
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by psgamer0921
If you look at digital metronomes, you will see that they do have A between 40BPM and 220BPM. To whoever said it, you tuned to B, because you're instrument is Bb. B on a Bb instrument is the equivalent to A concert

That was me and thanks for the info. I knew that I wasn't going crazy and I tuned to a B.
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
post #19 of 45
You could set the volume to zero on shutdown, then reset it to whatever you like on startup, using Applescript, to mute the startup sound.

Where are the Startup Items and Shutdown Items equivalents in OS X?
Stoo
Stoo
post #20 of 45
In Library. Yes you're right, that's sort of a jury rigged way to do it, to mute the startup sound and play one at log in.
post #21 of 45
It's a startup sound, not an OS-is-loading sound. Compare to x86 boxes, which after all these years still make that annoying "blip-bleep" noise when they boot. By comparison, the Mac startup tone is so rich and deep and almost creamy. ;p One of the many benefits of making he whole widget.

I always thought it was funny how MS has put in more and more complicated sounds when Windows starts to load. Like they can't match the beauty and immediacy of the Mac tone, so they try the my-startup-sound-is-longer-than-yours game. I think with XP they're up to an entire Rolling Stones album, a Beatles LP and half of Beethoven's Ninth. And Windows is still loading when it's all done. If you feel the need to match that, set your OSX to auto-login and play whatever you want at login.

To me, this is one of so many ways in which Windows just feels like a poorly designed toy. With its silly OS-loading noises, jarringly gaudy colors and bigger-is-better interface elements, how can it be considered a "serious" OS, and not something that fell off a Toys R Us truck? Oh, right, because it has more games. I forgot.
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by fiddler
Having perfect pitch, I believe the startup chord is either D-flat major or G-flat major... I can't quite remember, and I'm not going to restart my Mac just to find out. :P

EDIT: fine, so I did reboot just to find out. It's sort of G-flat, but a quarter-tone or so flatter than your average A=440hz G flat.

Sure wish I had perfect pitch... Our choir teacher does and it never ceases to amaze me how she can recognize any note perfectly or sing one... So ya anyways. I am pretty surprised myself that they didn't change the startup sound for the G5's. It was one of the first things I wondered when the reviews of the G5's started to come in.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Ichiban_jay
OooOoOoo... I wonder, is there any way to change the start up sound of my mac? the "duuum" sound does grow old after many many years

For the love of god, if you're asking this to put, dare I say it, a windows startup sound on ...I just don't think I could be held responsible for my actions.

You'd basically have to figure out what format the audio is in and then create/find a bit of software that would flash the chip it's stored on to replace the audio. Myself? I could care less about the sound my computer makes when it starts up. I'm just glad to be sitting in front of my new powerbook everyday.
I think by now, EVERYONE expects the Spanish Inquisition...
I think by now, EVERYONE expects the Spanish Inquisition...
post #24 of 45
I wanted to put a intel sound on. LOL!!! just as bad. I find it ironic... to say the least if I could do it
The bored one.
The bored one.
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Ichiban_jay
I wanted to put a intel sound on. LOL!!! just as bad. I find it ironic... to say the least if I could do it

If you can't do that, settle for a Blue Screen of Death screensaver. It's quite amusing. (Just get a screenshot of a BSOD, yes you can, and play it as a slide show.)
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Eudaimic
God I hate that sound! It's the only thing I'm tired of in my PB

How could you? It's awesome. And after using Macs since before they were Macs (Apple II) I still love it. However, my Cube no longer does it. Can't figure out why, tried zapping the PRAM, but that didn't do it. I miss it though. But I still have my sawtooth, 6400, LC, Mac +, and Apple II to hear it from.
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
post #27 of 45
well , i have a solution to take it off 100% i got this link off a macnn forum and im using it . and seems to work fine, the only thing wrong is that its in japaneese but its a basic install so all the buttons are the same try it if you like and let me know if it helps

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/

and the direct download link to this pref pane;

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/...fPane100.dmg.gz
8)
post #28 of 45
The 6400's bass speaker sounds great on startup, expecially if the regular speakers aren't on. Everyone in the house knew when the Mac was turned on.
Stoo
Stoo
post #29 of 45
Macs dont post, they sing on the pc side look at the 286's and befor running win 1,2 ,3.1 and even DOS they all have 1 thing in common with moddern pc's (outside of forced reliance on micro$haft) it is that all pc's form the 80286(and befor) to the fastest pentium IV start with the most annoying beep what i would give to turn that off, WAIT i can, some bioses allow posting to be disabled, (DO AT YOUR OWN RISK) does mac have a firmware setting control anyware? equivelent to a bios but like most other stuff on mac, done better than pc?

P.S. does bill gates have a 'Microshaft'? jk lol
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #30 of 45
After thorough and scientific research using the latest in Digital Signal Processing techniques, chord analyzers, Root tone verification modules, and optimal psycho-acoustic algorhythms, I have determined the pitch and key of the PowerMac startup Sound:

Q-flarp.
Favorite Bumper Sticker:
Nuke the Gay Whales for Jesus!
Favorite Bumper Sticker:
Nuke the Gay Whales for Jesus!
post #31 of 45
Can anyone find and record what the mac sound is? For those of you talking about the Windows startup sound, this is what I'm stuck with
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Can anyone find and record what the mac sound is? For those of you talking about the Windows startup sound, this is what I'm stuck with

Every Mac that has ever made a start-up sound can be heard in MacTracker.
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
post #33 of 45
Um, can someone record it (Yes, I have Windows...)
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Um, can someone record it (Yes, I have Windows...)

MacTracker will run on Windows. Just go to the homepage (http://www.mactracker.ca/) and click the "For Windows" link.
"What we're doing is that which is currently doable in the way that we're doing it." - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld
"What we're doing is that which is currently doable in the way that we're doing it." - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld
post #35 of 45
Easy solution...buy external speakers and keep them off until your mac started up...that's what I do. You don't only get better sound from nicer speakers but you don't hear that booooooooooooom any more.

Lates!
post #36 of 45
I noticed somone mentioned mactracker. What are the "death chimes" in that program? when did older macs play that sound?
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by fiskone
well , i have a solution to take it off 100% i got this link off a macnn forum and im using it . and seems to work fine, the only thing wrong is that its in japaneese but its a basic install so all the buttons are the same try it if you like and let me know if it helps

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/

and the direct download link to this pref pane;

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/...fPane100.dmg.gz
8)

your link dosent work...
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Galen
I noticed somone mentioned mactracker. What are the "death chimes" in that program? when did older macs play that sound?

If the computer was dead and you got the most dreaded "Sad Mac" at boot, you got one of the death chimes. I can't tell you how terrifying it was to get a sad Mac at boot. Looks like this:

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
post #39 of 45
thunderpit , think this is the right one.
the download button is the 2nd blue link on this page.

if you have any probs just email me..
http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/software.html
post #40 of 45
Quote:

different macs had different startup/deathchime sounds, so there isn't really a single 'mac sound'

from an old thread on startup sounds

collections of old mac startup/deathchime sounds for those who don't understand what people are referring to:

as embedded quicktime files - listen here
or
as click-for-new-window quicktime files - click to listen here
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › changing startup sound