or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › can't seem to connect to networked printer

can't seem to connect to networked printer

post #1 of 28
here's the layout. My mac connected via Ethernet (through hub) to my wife's mac. Printer connected to her machine via USB. My Print utility doesn't find any networked printers in Rendezvous, IP, Appletalk, or any of the other options.

I've checked for Appletalk on the wife's machine, it's running as is file and printer sharing. Before attempting to add the printer I ensured it was powered up. I connected to her machine via connect to server.

I've installed the drivers for the Epson 780 Photo Stylus on my machine.

I am a little lost here... Can someone gimme a hand?
One of the fork and spoon operators from Sector 7-G
post #2 of 28
What version of the OS(es) are each Mac running?
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by tommy_thompson
What version of the OS(es) are each Mac running?

both 10.2.8
post #4 of 28
Check to see if the firewall is turned on, or if you have any firewall software other than what is built into the OS on. If not, message back.
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Check to see if the firewall is turned on, or if you have any firewall software other than what is built into the OS on. If not, message back.

both firewalls are off
post #6 of 28
Open print center, then go to prefrences..make sure that show printers connected to other computers is checked...on both Macs. Let me know.
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Open print center, then go to prefrences..make sure that show printers connected to other computers is checked...on both Macs. Let me know.

yes, it's checked on both
post #8 of 28
in the sharing pref pane are you sure that your wife's computer is sharing the printer?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
in the sharing pref pane are you sure that your wife's computer is sharing the printer?

yes
post #10 of 28
can you print from your wife's computer?

if you can and there are still problems...

take a look at this: http://www.fixamac.net/software/pcr/ (Does not work in 10.3... use the PSR instead)
post #11 of 28
Unless I am mistaken...you need to install the drivers on your Mac too. I did a test here at the office with our new epson and once I installed the driver on the Macs that did not have it connected directly via USB. Then you add printer and viola!
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #12 of 28
Quote:

indeed I can
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Unless I am mistaken...you need to install the drivers on your Mac too. I did a test here at the office with our new epson and once I installed the driver on the Macs that did not have it connected directly via USB. Then you add printer and viola!

I did that too
post #14 of 28
Well, damn...let me do a bit more looking. That worked here at the office. It has been along time since we bought a new printer..and we were having the same problem, until I installed the driver on the other computers. Weird. Hopefully I will find an answer for you soon.
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Well, damn...let me do a bit more looking. That worked here at the office. It has been along time since we bought a new printer..and we were having the same problem, until I installed the driver on the other computers. Weird. Hopefully I will find an answer for you soon.

Thanks tommy_thompson
post #16 of 28
Printing from X or 9(classic) Let me know if this helps:

For Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X clients

When both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X computers (in addition to the one sharing the printer) need to print, then there are additional considerations.

You will get the most predictable behavior if you avoid sharing the printer to Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X clients at the same time. Stop Mac OS X Printer Sharing before starting Classic USB Printer Sharing, and vice versa.

To share for Mac OS 9, you would use the same steps as in Scenario I, above.

Important: If you do start both printer sharing services at the same time, the printer may or may not work as expected. This depends on what make and model of printer you have and which versions of the printer drivers are in use. You may experience variations on any of these behaviors, which should be considered normal, since the printer and its drivers may not have been designed to allow this configuration:

* The printer may intermittently become unavailable to either the Classic or Mac OS X sharing service, particularly when the other service is printing.
* The printer may be available to either Classic or Mac OS X, but never both at the same time.
* The printer may not be available to anyone.

If this happens, stop both printer sharing services. Start each separately, and test to see if you can print when just one service is active.
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Printing from X or 9(classic) Let me know if this helps:

For Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X clients

When both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X computers (in addition to the one sharing the printer) need to print, then there are additional considerations.

You will get the most predictable behavior if you avoid sharing the printer to Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X clients at the same time. Stop Mac OS X Printer Sharing before starting Classic USB Printer Sharing, and vice versa.

To share for Mac OS 9, you would use the same steps as in Scenario I, above.

Important: If you do start both printer sharing services at the same time, the printer may or may not work as expected. This depends on what make and model of printer you have and which versions of the printer drivers are in use. You may experience variations on any of these behaviors, which should be considered normal, since the printer and its drivers may not have been designed to allow this configuration:

* The printer may intermittently become unavailable to either the Classic or Mac OS X sharing service, particularly when the other service is printing.
* The printer may be available to either Classic or Mac OS X, but never both at the same time.
* The printer may not be available to anyone.

If this happens, stop both printer sharing services. Start each separately, and test to see if you can print when just one service is active.

We are both running OSX only at the moment, so it's not an OS 9/10 conflict.
post #18 of 28
Apple says it will work here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/printers.html

But let me know if the previous helped. If not I will keep looking.
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Apple says it will work here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/printers.html

But let me know if the previous helped. If not I will keep looking.

I gotta finish christmas shopping so I can't stay around more an another 40 minutes or so... but that list didnt' offer anything other than confirmation that my printer should work without issue. Was there a link or something I should have seen but didn't?

I am completely baffled now...
post #20 of 28
No, what I was saying was that yes, it *should* work according to apple, and I am still looking for a soulution. I have a buddy of mine that does Mac hardware/software support. He's the whiz, I am just waiting for him to call me back. He too is busy doing Xmas shopping stuff. Hopefully hear from him soon.
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #21 of 28
Quote:
No, what I was saying was that yes, it *should* work according to apple, and I am still looking for a soulution. I have a buddy of mine that does Mac hardware/software support. He's the whiz, I am just waiting for him to call me back. He too is busy doing Xmas shopping stuff. Hopefully hear from him soon.

Oh, I gotcha... If I came off as harsh, I didn't mean to. Thanks for all the help
post #22 of 28
Quote:

if you can and there are still problems...

take a look at this: http://www.fixamac.net/software/pcr/ (Does not work in 10.3... use the PSR instead)

did you try this?
post #23 of 28
Quote:
did you try this?

I did but I didn't see any detector utilities.
post #24 of 28
Well, he is not getting back to me. I cannot find any other solutions. I did not say anything about print center repair, due to the fact Paul did. It won't "detect" anything, but could help if your print center is messed up a bit. And at this point, I think it is worth a try.
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Well, he is not getting back to me. I cannot find any other solutions. I did not say anything about print center repair, due to the fact Paul did. It won't "detect" anything, but could help if your print center is messed up a bit. And at this point, I think it is worth a try.

I talked to the genius at the Apple Store today and he asked if I'd tried connecting the printer directly to my Mac. I hadn't. He said that would be one really good way to determine if the print center was messed up.

Well, I connected directly and immediately found the printer and successfully printer from it.

So it has to be a networking issue... is there a way to determing the device address for the actual printer and I can try to set up IP printing?
post #26 of 28
It's an inkjet, so I don't think IP printing would work. I will be back in the office on monday, and will be able to do more *testing for work* (hehe) then. Sorry I don't have a better answer for now.
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #27 of 28
I have not found an answer, I am shamed. I will see now that Dave it back from MacWorld, if he knows!!
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #28 of 28
Quote:
I have not found an answer, I am shamed. I will see now that Dave it back from MacWorld, if he knows!!

Had my friend Shetline over with his powerbook yesterday and we think we have found the culprate, and as weird as it sounds, the problem seems to stem from my use of a Netgear EN194 Hub rather than a switch as the center of my home network.

Here's what we did -

Test 1

We connected his powerbook and my wife's G3 directly via a single ethernet cable and checked for a printer. The printer showed up immediately in his printer selection window.

Test 2

We then moved the printer upstairs and repeated the process, this time connecting the printer to his powerbook. Immediately the printer appeared in my print center manager.

Test 3

We connected the powerbook to the network through the hub (rather than directly to my G4). Ensured that his computer showed up in the network window (it did). The print center still showed the network printer as connected, but any attempts to use it failed. We rebooted the G4 to clear whatever legacy information was showing a connected printer, and viola, the printer was gone from the printer window.

So it appears that the hub is preventing printer sharing, though I have no idea why this might be the case, since it's essentially a dumb box and should simply pass every packet through to all the connected computers.

Anyway, I am going to buy a cheap switch and see if that corrects the problem. Thanks Tommy (and everyone else) for all your help
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › can't seem to connect to networked printer