or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Why the "minipod" is not going to happen:

Why the "minipod" is not going to happen: - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
You mean, basically, an empty minipod? Huh?!

Ok, so which is it, flash-based or HD?

Yup, I mean an empty miniPod, so it can be cheap. I know, that sucks. All flash-based mini players have built in memory or a card bundled in.

I think it will be flash-based. However, that's just my uneducated guess. As I said, I'm hoping they prove me wrong. HD iPods are great the way they are.
post #42 of 78
It could be one that took both types of cards, both HD and flash medias.

But then it would only add "pc-like hack" to the huge number of reasons why Apple won´t do anything less than the current low end iPod.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #43 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG3
Honestly, who the f*** has 100GB's of music? There has to be a point where the harddrive size needs to stop increasing, and more features start getting added to the product. I know a lot of people would rather have built in radio, screen on remote etc...than a 100GB harddrive.

Exactly...

(Heck, I've got a 120GB HD, and I've barely used a quarter of it for my entire comp!!)
post #44 of 78
^^^^^

Yeah, you'll have to wait for the Apple Movie Store to fill up that HD.
post #45 of 78
The unwashed PC masses don't want iPods that cost more than their Dell's....just that simple.

Besides in 5 years mp3 players will be like instamatic cameras....disposable. It is the computer that is the hub, not the periferal.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #46 of 78
i'm not sure if mini ipods will happen or not, but based on what apple has said in the past it would be unusual.
the advantage of the mini ipod would be to sell more music on itunes, but itunes isn't all that profitable. steve jobs has said it's there to sell ipods, not the other way around. besides, people with mini ipods would buy a whole lot less from itunes.
i don't know if people who want low cost mp3 players would buy an apple product anyway.
post #47 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyastronaut
^^^^^

Yeah, you'll have to wait for the Apple Movie Store to fill up that HD.

you laugh, but it could happen.... a touch screen ipod with a bigger color display.
post #48 of 78
I think we'll get some sort of mini ipod simply because of the lack of denials from apple. Usually when a rumor gets this out of control and actual news sites start picking it up and running it, apple will issue a denial if it isn't true.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #49 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG3
Honestly, who the f*** has 100GB's of music? There has to be a point where the harddrive size needs to stop increasing, and more features start getting added to the product. I know a lot of people would rather have built in radio, screen on remote etc...than a 100GB harddrive.

if apple get it's 'home' functionality done on the ipod, well:
45GB of music (will take some time to get all my cd's in iTunes). check.
10GB of software. check.
10GB of iPhoto Libary (i have a camera and use it). check.
40GB of work. check.
suprice: stuffed already

i hate radio. (ever listened to dutch radio? it's really bad)
so i would love that 100GB iPod.
would i buy it?

hell no.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #50 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by GabeRiles
you laugh, but it could happen.... a touch screen ipod with a bigger color display.

huh? I was talking about the big HD. Not touch screen iPods. *confused*
post #51 of 78
miniPod is credit card in size. Holds 10,000 songs and costs $249 for the largest size. Fact.
Cill the Wabbit
Cill the Wabbit
post #52 of 78
Plus, new iApp. GarageBand. Music creation tool. Included in $99 updated iLife. Fact.
Cill the Wabbit
Cill the Wabbit
post #53 of 78
Dade da dee is that all Elmer Fudd?
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
post #54 of 78
More info streaming in from Moscone sources.
Cill the Wabbit
Cill the Wabbit
post #55 of 78
Keep it coming...as much info as possible....who cares about the most expensive miniPod, the smallest, least expensive is the one we want to know about. Details on GarageBand would be appreciated as well.
post #56 of 78
Assuming an iPod-lite is about to be introduced the specs (price and hardware) will have to come from the marketing gremlins at Apple. As some have pointed out, the people who read these postings are far more sophisticated than the typical customer. Apple could come out with a $150 iPod. The specs might be very unappealing to the typical Apple user, however, they might be good enough for those unfamiliar with downloaded music to garner another million or so sales. These folk might feel that $150 is a bearable price for testing the waters of downloaded music. That is another million users buying from iTMS and not buying from Napster and Walmart. That is another million self-selected customers ready to upgrade to the next great thing Apple comes out with in a year or two.

On another topic, I wish that Apple could find a way to partner with a few other vendors to allow music to download to players other than iPods. This would cost Apple money in the short run but would garner mindshare in the long term.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by Elmer Fudd
miniPod is credit card in size. Holds 10,000 songs and costs $249 for the largest size. Fact.

Yeah, right.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #58 of 78
Quote:

you posted this in another thread. so i'll post the same answer.

fiction
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #59 of 78
its going to be 199, hd based, with a replaceable battery.
_ _____________________ _
1ghz Powerbook SuperDrive yippeeee!!!!
_ _____________________ _
1ghz Powerbook SuperDrive yippeeee!!!!
post #60 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by kraig911
...with a replaceable battery.

I think that alone is worth a price increase in most people's eyes. Of course, by lowering the price they will probably see about the same gross income from them, because everyone will wind up buying another battery in 12-18 months anyway.

Here's hoping...
...we have assumed control
post #61 of 78
Quote:
More info streaming in from Moscone sources.

Dark and lonely on a summer night
Cill his sources, Cill his sources
The watchdog's barking,
do he bite?

Slip into Moscone, break his neck
Then MacWorld I start to wreck
Got no reason
What the heck?

C-I-L-L his sources
post #62 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by gcarswell
1. When the original ipod came out, Jobs said Apple looked at the marketplace of MP3 players and decided they could add significant value and differentiate themselves by going with a non-flash based, high quality, large capacity player. This they did, but introducing the type of low cost, flash-based (or small HD based) player that everyone is speculating about goes back directly on their original intention.

What about USB 2.0, VGA, USB? Apple is going to make decisions that positively affect its bottom line. If a flash based player will do it, then Apple will go for it--they better!

I'm assuming that the budget line will be scaled down feature-wise, so all price points will be protected. Maybe the new ones will only play music. That'll put them on the level of the other players.
post #63 of 78
I'm saying no way to the miniPods...its definately just a case of wishful thinking on everyone's part...but what do i know, I'm not a scientist
post #64 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by Haxz0r Jim Duggan
I'm saying no way to the miniPods...its definately just a case of wishful thinking on everyone's part...but what do i know, I'm not a scientist

I'm going for: MAXI PODS !!!

Current models are the 'mini-pods' and will transmogrify into the new 'entry level' with price slash.

New Models are totally revamped with massive factor and come in at current price levels.

All else is diversion and smoking mirrors...
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #65 of 78
Just wanted to say this topic is now funny and wondered how that crow tastes
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
Just wanted to say this topic is now funny and wondered how that crow tastes

Well it was half right - the price is nowhere near mini
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Well it was half right - the price is nowhere near mini

That was the whole point wasn't it - no minipods for USD:99.00. And that's exactly what didn't happen.

The only people eating anything are those that didn't understand the price factor... and Apple when they realise that the price point of the minipods just made them this year's Cube.

-- Clive
B&W G3/350 22" La Cie II, 12" PowerBook, 67 Mustang, 96 Honda Pan European
B&W G3/350 22" La Cie II, 12" PowerBook, 67 Mustang, 96 Honda Pan European
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by Clive
and Apple when they realise that the price point of the minipods just made them this year's Cube.

Yeah, they definitely won't sell many until Apple lowers the price. The total fanatics with money to burn will buy first. Then they'll have to lower the price at least $50 if they're hoping for any kind of volume.
I think by now, EVERYONE expects the Spanish Inquisition...
post #69 of 78
And that's probably just fine. After all, early adopters traditionally pay premium prices (look at Dolby Digital home sound systems, projectection TVs, flat screen TVs, and even the VCR). They'll get their sales from the early adopters, and then as their margins improve due to a drop in component prices and economies of scale, then they'll be able to afford to drop it in price and attract everyone else.
post #70 of 78
I think they'll sell fine at $249. Current iPods were sold out during the holidays anyway.

If little Timmy wanted an iPod for Christmas and there were no other "regular" iPods left, Santa could just but an iPod mini because it's better than no iPod at all (or a Rio Crapus or a Dell Suckabox or whatever they're called.)
post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by sunrein
Yeah, they definitely won't sell many until Apple lowers the price.

Ok, the 15GB iPod seems to be priced attractively (people bought the 10GB version like hot cakes at that same price). So, knowing this, we can use it to decide if anybody will want the new mini's.

We have:

15GB, $299, larger (yes, still small), white only

or

4GB, $249, smaller, pick a color

Now, while I, personally, would still go for the 15GB iPod, I can definitely see many, many, many people trading 11GB for $50 plus getting a smaller version in a color they like.
cygnuhchur
spotbug is dead. Long live spotcatbug!
cygnuhchur
spotbug is dead. Long live spotcatbug!
post #72 of 78
^^^^^

I definitely agree. People forget 4GB is a lot of music. Your battery will probably run out before you can listen to 300 songs.
post #73 of 78
Wow, I can't believe how many of you here don't get it. The mini iPod's sole purpose is to take away sales from competitor's to the iPod. Remember the expo? The mini iPod is aimed at the Rio and similar crowd, not the iPod crowd. This is to target those who were GOJNG TO SPEND $250 on the Rio or similar. How is it expensive? It gives you more then it SME PRICED COMPETITOR! That same customer that was going to buy the RIO AT $250 will see the mini iPod and how it OFFERS SO MUCH MORE FOR THE SAME $250! Then, if smart, they notice for another $50, they can get a 15g iPod.

So, not only does Apple take away a sale from it's smaller/flash competition, it may entice those new buyers to drop an extra $50 for the 15g.

The mini is the trojan horse for competition. It's priced EXACTLY where is was intended. Not sure what ignorance compares this to the cube. Side note- this is the iPod I will probably buy, the others were too expensive, too big and had way too much storage for me (the arm band and clip is pretty cool too)
post #74 of 78
The armband makes it look like a blood pressure gague/cardiogram, very uncool.
post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyastronaut
I think they'll sell fine at $249. Current iPods were sold out during the holidays anyway.

If little Timmy wanted an iPod for Christmas and there were no other "regular" iPods left, Santa could just but an iPod mini because it's better than no iPod at all (or a Rio Crapus or a Dell Suckabox or whatever they're called.)

I don't doubt that the value is there, but I just keep remembering the history of other products. Lots of big consumer devices never 'really' took off until they hit the magic price point of $199 (and eventually $99). CD players, DVD players, PlayStation2, XBox, GameCube, etc.
post #76 of 78
^^^

That works with videogames. So far, in the MP3 player market it has been different. The higher-priced iPod has sold better than the cheap sub-$250 MP3 players.

We're still a year or two away from $99 iPods.
post #77 of 78
Quote:

Has nobody else noticed how close Elmer was? Just a zero out. Fact

What else d'ya know buddy?
post #78 of 78
Quote:
Originally posted by pioneer01
Has nobody else noticed how close Elmer was? Just a zero out. Fact

What else d'ya know buddy?

Didn't he get the armband right too if I remember ?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Why the "minipod" is not going to happen: