or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › OS-X 10.3 bits stuffed into OS-X 10.1: Can it be done ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OS-X 10.3 bits stuffed into OS-X 10.1: Can it be done ?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I am stuck with an underpower imac G3 with about about 190 megs of ram ( sorry I can't remember exactly ).

However it is running OS-X 10.1 quite well.

My question is this, Seeing that I have Panther on disk are there any bits of software & functionalities that I can transfer from 10.3 to use on this olde imac( with its limited ram and keeping the OS-10.1 in place.) ?

Or could I even manage to run Panther ?

Ps: I also have Jaguar 10.2
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
post #2 of 23
I dont know about running 10.3 code on 10.1, Im pretty sure thats not the answer but one the bright side...

Panther will work on your mac. Not only that but I imagine it will give a good performance increase too. Installing Panther on my ibook 600 gave it a new lease on life and I endorse it whole hardedly. If its possible and you plan on using this computer regularly you should definately put in the maximium amount of RAM (a fairly cheap upgrade if you DIY).

Install Panther ! another option, if you dont have a valid license for Panther is to install linux, its free dont you know...
post #3 of 23
I've got the feeling though he's running a 200Mhz, or 233Mhz G3? You could install it, it'll be alot faster than 10.1. But you can't expect great performance in X under a low Mhz G3, but you've already experienced X on it so it probably won't be too bad.
Ah yes, now I can breath!

Reply
Ah yes, now I can breath!

Reply
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Altivec_2.0
I've got the feeling though he's running a 200Mhz, or 233Mhz G3? You could install it, it'll be alot faster than 10.1. But you can't expect great performance in X under a low Mhz G3, but you've already experienced X on it so it probably won't be too bad.

Its a 350Mhz slot loader ( no firewire )

My panther copy is strictly legitimate.

I am suprised to hear you say it will run on such an olde machine.

Is Panther really possible with this machine ?
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
post #5 of 23
see for yourself...

Panther System Requirements

Before buying Panther I checked AI to see what other people were saying about running Panther on older hardware, everybody said it ran great. So I bought Panther and guess what, it ran great !
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by AsLan^
see for yourself...

Panther System Requirements

Before buying Panther I checked AI to see what other people were saying about running Panther on older hardware, everybody said it ran great. So I bought Panther and guess what, it ran great !

I so LURRV Apple.....
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
post #7 of 23
I have a Rev. A iMac (233) and a Rev. A iBook (300) both running like champs on 10.3.2 with 288MB ram...

your iMac (with a whopping 8MB VRAM!!! ) will be fine

just turn off dock bouncing and you are set.

<www.unsanity.com> and shadowkiller isn't a bad idea either.
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
I have a Rev. A iMac (233) and a Rev. A iBook (300) both running like champs on 10.3.2 with 288MB ram...

your iMac (with a whopping 8MB VRAM!!! ) will be fine

just turn off dock bouncing and you are set.

<www.unsanity.com> and shadowkiller isn't a bad idea either.

Great tips Paul.

I owe you guys a beer..
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquafire
Great tips Paul.

I owe you guys a beer..

Aqua - my PB is back at Apple and I am using an iMac G3 350 mhz with 512 mb Ram. It runs Panther 10.3.2 way faster then Jaguar.

I installed ShadowKiller though to kill the menu shadows which slow things down quite a bit. It doesn't look as cool but it really speeds things up.

No problems other than Photoshop is barely usable and Fireworks just too slow to bother with.

Other than that it's fine.

Edit: oops just skimmed the thread before replying and when I read through more I see Paul already covered my points ! Ignore me !
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #10 of 23
Why are you still running 10.1?

Are you a part of that OS X uptime contest? (I think the leader has the OS X Developer Preview running).

Going from 10.1 to to 10.3 would be like going from DOS to Windows.

(wait..bad analogy).
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquafire
Its a 350Mhz slot loader ( no firewire )

My panther copy is strictly legitimate.

I am suprised to hear you say it will run on such an olde machine.

Is Panther really possible with this machine ?

It will run, my mother runs panther on a 350mhz blue imac, i also have it running on a 300mhz Tang ibook with 160Mb of ram and 3gb hd.
post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
....................No problems other than Photoshop is barely usable and Fireworks just too slow to bother with.


Hey Sedgey,

Happy new year, old son.

Re the Shadows* :

I hate the shadow look anyway, so I will use shadowkiller for sure, especially if it rockets things along.

Second point & I know it is a tad off topic, but photoshop is giving me the pips too. ( price hikes are outrageous ) .

That is why I am seriously considering GIMP.

* Shadows ( the band ) are pretty cool though.
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquafire
Hey Sedgey,

Happy new year, old son.

Re the Shadows* :

I hate the shadow look anyway, so I will use shadowkiller for sure, especially if it rockets things along.

Second point & I know it is a tad off topic, but photoshop is giving me the pips too. ( price hikes are outrageous ) .

That is why I am seriously considering GIMP.

* Shadows ( the band ) are pretty cool though.

Well, I think Fireworks is a far superior program when it comes to graphics compression and as I do web stuff mostly I use it in preference to PS but as I say, Fireworks is far too slow to run on the system.

Isn't Hank Marvin a Jehovah's Witness ?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Hank could be a Jo~Hove~er.

But what I do know is the Shadows are just special..

Incidentally,

just bought the Shadows "Guitar " album for $10. Listening to it on my olde mac as I am writing..

Aqua.
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquafire
Hank could be a Jo~Hove~er.

But what I do know is the Shadows are just special..

Incidentally,

just bought the Shadows "Guitar " album for $10. Listening to it on my olde mac as I am writing..

Aqua.

Yeah but the Cliff Richard connection will forever consign them to room 101.

How's the Panther install going ?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius


How's the Panther install going ?


Installed beautifully. It is purring like a kitten Sedge.

And wow...have I noticed a pick up in speed over 10.1 !

Truly amazing.

Aqua
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
post #17 of 23
another panther convert
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
post #18 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
another panther convert

8)
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
post #19 of 23
Aquafire...what happened?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquafire in December in another thread

I still love my olde LC-475 ( running OS-8 ) Get loads of work done on it.

The only annoying thing about it is that if I had to rely on it "dying" before buying a new Mac.. I guess I'd be waiting so long into the future that Apple will have come out with a G-10.

Whatever happened to "used by dates " for old Macs ?

LC-475...die damm it...!!!!! die...


Did it die? Was Murbot flogging some of his old stock? Was Santa handing out ancient G3s to replace even older LC-475s?
tribalfusion?
Reply
tribalfusion?
Reply
post #20 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Chinney
Aquafire...what happened?




Did it die? Was Murbot flogging some of his old stock? Was Santa handing out ancient G3s to replace even older LC-475s?

It died by drowning.

Had a massive flood in my studio. ( ruptured mains water pipe ).

I literally had only seconds to choose what had to be grabbed first and then second and third and so on down the line.

My Lc-475 and a bloody good stereo didn't make it out the door in time.

The fire department guys took about 2 hours to pump my studio clear of water...

That night I posted that somewhat tipsy thingy about Jonathan's avatar.

He could have cut my balls off for all I cared....

If i'd have found away, I would have moved heaven and earth to put Panther into her workings, there was so much life in that old girl.

I'll miss her warm fuzzy glow of electrons..
sob...

There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquafire
It died by drowning.

Had a massive flood in my studio. ( ruptured mains water pipe ).

I literally had only seconds to choose what had to be grabbed first and then second and third and so on down the line.

My Lc-475 and a bloody good stereo didn't make it out the door in time.

The fire department guys took about 2 hours to pump my studio clear of water...

That night I posted that somewhat tipsy thingy about Jonathan's avatar.

He could have cut my balls off for all I cared....

If i'd have found away, I would have moved heaven and earth to put Panther into her workings, there was so much life in that old girl.

I'll miss her warm fuzzy glow of electrons..
sob...



My sympathies. As I indicated in another December thread (a thread that I started and that was actually inspired by the one I from which I quoted your comment about your "olde LC-475"), I have a thing for legacy machines. Notwithstanding that a few online here at AO have occasionally posted from older computers than your former LC, I think that yours was the oldest that anyone here used 'day in, day out'. I am sorry to see it go.

I hope that you did not lose too much else of value.
tribalfusion?
Reply
tribalfusion?
Reply
post #22 of 23
Not that this compares even slightly to your loss... but I had to leave behind an LC II a couple of years ago when I left the states, used to use it for playing dark castle and shufflepuck cafe, two of my favourite games (especially shufflepuck cafe).

Anyhow, glad to hear you like Panther.

Cheers
post #23 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Chinney
My sympathies. As I indicated in another December thread (a thread that I started and that was actually inspired by the one I from which I quoted your comment about your "olde LC-475"), I have a thing for legacy machines. Notwithstanding that a few online here at AO have occasionally posted from older computers than your former LC, I think that yours was the oldest that anyone here used 'day in, day out'. I am sorry to see it go.

I hope that you did not lose too much else of value.

Thanks for your sympathies Chinney.

I'm now living with a rather larger 1" diameter black plastic tube snaking its' way through my dank smelling studio to a first floor window. The ruptured water pipe has a huge stopper in it, but the water is still dribbling out.

My landlord said he'll get around to fixing it within the next three weeks..

I hope so.

As regards my posting with the olde girl, it was actually pretty fast at times. I could download a whole page in about 5 to 10 seconds..not bad for such an olde girl.

Thanks again

Aqua
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › OS-X 10.3 bits stuffed into OS-X 10.1: Can it be done ?