or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Official! New iPods!!!!

Official! New iPods!!!!

post #1 of 112
Well,,,they're here!
15Gb ,new headphones, but...

iPod Mini!!
4Gb, $249 ...... Wow!
post #2 of 112
The miniPod is here
"I'll either make this world a better place or bring it to its ruin. Destiny will determine that"
"I'll either make this world a better place or bring it to its ruin. Destiny will determine that"
post #3 of 112
100 dollars too expensive
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #4 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by othello

I agree, I think Apple screwed up on the pricing. If it is going to be that expensive, make it $200, better at $150. For an extra $50, might as well get a 15 gb iPod. I think they screwed up on this one. But we will see.
post #5 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by othello

Got to agree there - and April too.

Kind of takes the edge off the excitement (credit card goes quickly back in wallet).

Totally cool though.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #6 of 112
Too expensive, and there's no low end.

Would you expect anything else from Apple?

But seriously, I expect it to be like every other Apple product. Crap now, but much better value in 1 years time when the volume goes up and the price drops.

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
post #7 of 112
is it flash based??

will they come out with a 2 gig model for $199??

if it is flash based...then how did they do it for the price?

but if it is flash based, i will get one as i can't use my current iPod for jogging....otherwise, get the 15 gig for 50 bucks more...

will be fun to try out the armband holder....

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #8 of 112
5 colors : pink, green, blue, gold and alu.
249 $
slim
small : credit card size
USB 2 and FW connection
Same adaptator.

Well it's a little bit expansive, but i can easily predict a winner.
Parents prepare your credit card to buy a pink mini i pod for your daughter.
post #9 of 112
I'm not surprised by the price and I don't think its to high. Steve's demo said it all. $50 more than a small capacity flash player. Even if Apple could build it smaller (capacity) and cheaper, why should they. They are flying off the shelves at $299. Compare the price to the price of flash drives. Would you by a USB flash drive or spen a little more and also have an iPod? This is a good deal.

I've argued before that Sony Walkmen flew off the shelves at $129 many many years ago. $249 is about the same if you count for inflation.
post #10 of 112
I don't know how Apple does it. "Here's an iPod with 1/3 the storage, for $50 less." And I want one...
post #11 of 112
Given the specs, wouldn't it have made more sense to keep the 10GB iPod but offer it for $250? What about re-introducing the 5GB iPod for $200?
post #12 of 112
post #13 of 112
I was kinda hoping for a really small one, more like the one that holds about 60 songs, so I could just copy my "Top 50" playlist and keep that updated. Just a small screen and the usual firewire/headphone/controller ports. (the remote on the headphone cable works fine for me, no need for a scroll wheel) Although I want one a little, I will stick to my 30GB iPod. 8)
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
post #14 of 112
seems to be hard drive based, not flash....so i guess i can save some bucks for now....maybe if it gets good reviews for not freezing with running and bumping, maybe then i will get one

g
post #15 of 112
Gee you'd think by now all the price sensitive folk here would have things figured out.

The harddrive is a NEW premium product. In six months expect a price drop and one additional member of the miniPod family, with a slightly larger drive capacity. Just in time for Xmas. Yes, Apple finally has a product that sells in droves over the holiday season. And yes, people will pay a premium price for tiny shiny things.
four more beers, four more beers
four more beers, four more beers
post #16 of 112
I don't mind the price at all. I paid $400 for my 10gb ipod back in the day. I would have liked to see the price at $200 for the mini, but lifes rough.

I like the size, and color options. Overall I think it will be a winner for parents to buy their kids. This is definately aimed at a younger audience with the colors.

To me, what's the difference between buying your kid a home stereo mini unit. Usually over 200 for a decent unit or a mini ipod that they can and will get more use out of. I think it will be a winner, and if not. The prices will drop or the unit will be dropped.
Pac10 is the only conference that counts
Pac10 is the only conference that counts
post #17 of 112
I think 500 songs for $129.00 would have been better buy. That 62% share Apple is going after obviously has a problem spending more than $100-150. Why does Apple think they will suddenly be able to spend twice as much as what they paid for their flash players? If they could afford an iPod they would buy one.....they can't so they buy $100 knock-offs. $249 does not make them any closer to being able to buy an iPod.
post #18 of 112
Echo thegelding's last post. Seems HD-based. Same 8H battery life Same skip protection (If it were flash or other solid-state based it wouldn't need any skip protection).

And no lanyard ring. Dumb. Have to wait for a third party lanyard connector?
post #19 of 112
charge over USB2 seems the only real innovation

slightly smaller, significantly less capacity (4G vs 15G), for not much less money ($50).

unless you're desperate in need of anodized pastel shells

pass
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #20 of 112
I just don't get Steve. He says he wants to go after a $99-199 market, and does it with a $249 product. It's a great product, awesome form factor, nice colors....but just too pricey. It's not a "low-cost iPod for the rest of us". It's a high-end toy for people who value small size (and color). It'll start life as a niche toy for rich people who already have iPods, and if anything, it will draw new buyers to the $299 iPod (three times the music for an extra 50 bucks). Maybe in a year it'll drift down to 199 and become a product that can stand on its own; I could even see a high-end iPodmini overlapping with the $299 iPod and competeing on form vs. capacity. But it doesn't sound like it will ever become the "entry-level iPod" we were all hoping for. And it's a strong sign, I think, that the iPods will not drop below their $300-500 price range anytime soon.

I still think that is absurd - $300-500 is an awfully high price range for mp3 players. Yet Apple can't build iPods fast enough to meet demand. And I'll be going out to buy a 15GB soon. Steve obviously knows something I don't.
post #21 of 112
I'll admit it's sexy, but WAAAAYYYYY overpriced!

Price per gigabyte:

iPod 40GB: $12.48
iPod 20GB: $19.95
iPod 15GB: $19.93
iPod mini: $62.25!!!

If iPod mini were $199: $49.75/Gb
If iPod mini were $149: $37.25/Gb
If iPod mini were $129: $32.25/Gb

1. They should have left the bottom iPod at 10Gb.
2. This is the most blatantly overpriced Apple product I've ever seen.

I'm glad I'd never want that small of storage, because I'd never pay that price.

Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #22 of 112
I expect we'll see price drops before too long -- the gap up to the 15GB model is pretty narrow. I suspect the current price reflects limited supplies of either the unit or the drives, and when that's all sorted they'll knock off $50.

Also, I'm not sure the real risk here is people buying the 15GB over the mini. I think the reverse is more likely. For a lot of people 4GB is more than enough for their music collection, and the small size makes it much easier to carry with them. I think they'll say "Why pay $50 for 11GB I won't use, and have to carry something bigger for it?" How many people bought a 10GB iPod because they wanted an iPod, and that was the cheapest one? Many, I'd bet. Those people are now going to buy a mini.

We may compare the models and think it's not such a great deal, but consumers are (or Apple's betting that they are) worried about how they are going to use the product: in the target market, the $50 over the competition is unquestionably well spent.

$50 off the price would sure be real nice though!
"Time goes, you say? Ah no! Alas, Time stays, we go." -H. A. Dobson
post #23 of 112
People. This morning Rio announced a 4GB HD player... at $249. So the price is not bad. Those that thought that a $99 HD player was in the offing were simply not in touch with reality. This player will sell like hot cakes to females, kids, etc. Here's the Press Release:
Quote:
Apple Introduces iPod mini
Tuesday January 6, 2:02 pm ET

Smallest 1,000 Song Music Player Ever Comes in Five Colors

MACWORLD EXPO, SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® today introduced iPod(TM) mini, the smallest portable music player ever to hold up to 1,000 CD-quality songs. iPod mini is encased in an ultra-portable, lightweight anodized aluminum body available in five stylish colors -- silver, gold, pink, blue or green -- and features a patent pending, touch-sensitive Click Wheel for easy, one-handed navigation. iPod mini features the same award-winning user interface as its "big brother" iPods and works effortlessly with Apple's iTunes® Music Store, the world's number one digital music service, and the iTunes digital music jukebox software for seamlessly buying, managing and listening to digital music collections.

ADVERTISEMENT

"iPod has revolutionized the way people listen to music," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iPod mini joins the iPod family of best-selling digital music players, offering customers the same 1,000 songs in your pocket as the original iPod in an innovative design that's half the size. We think its going to be pretty popular, especially with younger music lovers."

iPod mini is the perfect combination of ultra-portable design, storage capacity, ease-of-use and audio performance. iPod mini is smaller than most cell phones and weighs only 3.6 ounces. Building on the success of the original touch wheel, iPod mini features an innovative, new Click Wheel that combines the ease and simplicity of a touch wheel with the precision of mechanical buttons for precise, one-handed navigation. iPod mini users can transfer a song per second from their Mac® or Windows computer and conveniently charge iPod mini with either the included FireWire or USB 2.0 cable.

iPod mini is the ultimate fashion statement with a choice of five stylish colors -- silver, gold, pink, blue or green -- the hallmark white headphones and a new belt clip. With a backlit, recessed screen and lightweight, yet durable anodized aluminum, iPod mini is the ultimate portable digital music player. Users can purchase an optional arm band, in-ear headphones or a dock to enhance their iPod mini experience.

iPod mini features Apple's patent pending Auto-Sync technology that automatically downloads an entire digital music library onto iPod mini and keeps it up-to-date whenever iPod mini is plugged into a Mac or Windows computer using FireWire or USB 2.0.

Users can personalize their new iPod mini with a custom laser engraving on the back. iPod mini can be custom engraved with a name or personal message to commemorate special events such as a graduation, birthday or a winning team's season, as well as for identification in case they lose their iPod.

Pricing & Availability

iPod mini for Mac and Windows will be available in the US in February for a suggested retail price of $249 (US), and will be available worldwide in April, in a choice of a silver, gold, pink, blue or green 4GB model with a belt clip. iPod mini will be available through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. All iPod minis will include earbud headphones, an Apple iPod mini power adapter, a 1.2m 30-pin to FireWire cable, a 1.2m 30-pin to USB 2.0 cable, and a CD with iTunes 4.2 for Mac and Windows computers.

Optional accessories with the following suggested retail prices include the iPod Dock for $39 (US), in-ear headphones for $39 (US) and arm band for $29 (US). Laser engraving is available for iPod mini for $19 (US) and can include two lines of text with up to 23 characters per line.

iPod mini can be charged with either the FireWire or USB 2.0 cable and gets up to eight hours of battery life. iPod mini requires a Mac with a FireWire port and Mac OS® X version 10.1.5 or later (Mac OS X v10.2 or later recommended); or a Windows PC with a FireWire or USB 2.0 port, or a Windows- certified FireWire or USB 2.0 card and Windows 2000, XP Home or Professional.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.
(C) 2004 Apple. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Mac, Mac OS, iPod, iTunes, FireWire and Apple Store are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #24 of 112
pass....
Shit Happens
Shit Happens
post #25 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by cowerd
Gee you'd think by now all the price sensitive folk here would have things figured out.

The harddrive is a NEW premium product. In six months expect a price drop and one additional member of the miniPod family, with a slightly larger drive capacity. Just in time for Xmas. Yes, Apple finally has a product that sells in droves over the holiday season. And yes, people will pay a premium price for tiny shiny things.

Exactly -- remember the initial price of the iPod? Hint: not $299.

Apple is maintaining their margins for an exciting, sleek new product... when the novelty wears off a bit, and (more importantly) the cost of the miniPod's HD comes down, they'll lower the price.

I see $199 being the magic number before they'll really take off, but I guess we'll see...
post #26 of 112
Yes people, some things you like, some you don't and price is always gonna be an issue, but.....

...in the back of your mind...

YOU KNOW YOU STILL WANT ONE!
post #27 of 112
Screw next year! It should be $199 today.
Yes, Apple has the market share, but it's this type of arrogance and pricing that has it's OS at 3-5 percent.

It's cool, it's sexy...but you want to own the market for years to come, lower the cost so that kids can at least save up their allowance to buy one. Get the kids hooked, and you'll have them when they get into adulthood.
post #28 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
5 colors : pink, green, blue, gold and alu.

Where's purple?!? \
post #29 of 112
I was really looking forward to this announcement and while the unit itself is good looking, I agree with the others on the price point. Steve made the comment its only 50 dollars more than the flash-based Rio, but its only 50 dollars more to a 15GB iPod....

I am paying 50 bucks less for a color body, 2/3 the size and 1/4 the space... I don't think so. Price drops to follow IMHO.
post #30 of 112
It is interesting to me that people are bitching about this price...the ****ing thing is amazing. It is what I have on my desk right now except waaaaay smaller. I bought the original iPod for $400 back in the day (plus tax) and I have 1,100 songs on it.

THIS THING COMES TWO YEARS LATER AND HOLDS THE SAME AMMOUNT OF MUSIC IN A SMALLER ENCLOSURE (WITH COLORS hehe) AND COSTS $150 LESS!!! I'm so on board with this, I think it will sell like hotcakes because it trounces other similarly priced players. Also, take into account that the reason some people are saying this about price is because we are comparing it to other iPods, for a moment look at the shitty 3rd party stuff and check out its price/performance. Apple hit a home run, a 500 foot homerun and I love it...even if it comes in Pink.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
post #31 of 112
At first I thought this was the biggest ripoff Apple's ever done, considering you can get nearly 4 times the capacity for an extra 50 bucks, but then I looked at the size of the thing.

It's tiny. I mean, really, really tiny. I'm looking at my tiny Sony Ericsson T610 phone right now, and the iPod Mini is actually smaller than that. That's amazing.

But still, aside from not being ideal for jogging, is the regular iPod's size that much of an issue? Plus, I'm worried the iPod Mini will be too easy to just plain lose. My cell phone slides out of my pocket on a regular basis and if I were less attentive, I know I'd have left it over at friends' houses numerous times by now.

I won't worry too much though... I'm quite happy with my 15GB iPod.

[edited to correct punctuation]
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
post #32 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut

Price per gigabyte:

I'm glad I'd never want that small of storage, because I'd never pay that price.

And what's the price per gigabyte of ANY flash-based player? You cannot compare prices this way.
post #33 of 112
This was made entirely for the Asian/Japanese markets.

Only people here with a lot of money would choose this over the 15 GB unit for only 50$ more.

The reason this is being sold is to cater to the Japanese market which likes smaller electronics(partially because of smaller hand sizes and just the smaller form factor the asian markets are accustomed to). This was made to battle Asian clones. Period.
post #34 of 112
$249 Rio: Just one letter away from RIP. Who would be dumb enough to buy the Rio instead of the iPod Mini?
post #35 of 112
Think Pink:

post #36 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by imanta
[B Price drops to follow IMHO. [/B]

You can say that about everything Apple or any other tech firm produces. All this whining reminds me of when the iPod first came out. "Its' just an mp3 player with a hard drive and it costs so much!" Well, did you see the sales chart have you read all the press? Sales are climbing and now they offer more choice and a greater range of prices. If you want a $99 iPod you can wait a few years while the rest of us have fun with our iPods.
post #37 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by iSegway
This was made entirely for the Asian/Japanese markets.

Only people here with a lot of money would choose this over the 15 GB unit for only 50$ more.

The reason this is being sold is to cater to the Japanese market which likes smaller electronics(partially because of smaller hand sizes and just the smaller form factor the asian markets are accustomed to). This was made to battle Asian clones. Period.

Look at the SE T610 sales figures in the US to see why this statement is full of crap. Americans like small too.
post #38 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut

Price per gigabyte:

These are totally different products. the iPod Mini goes after the flash market. It's like comparing $/ghz with Mac vs PC.
post #39 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by satchmo
Yes, Apple has the market share, but it's this type of arrogance and pricing that has it's OS at 3-5 percent.

I don't think price is even close to the first reason why Apple's marketshare is so low. I'll nominate: People use Windows at work or whatever, and don't even think of buying something different that they would have to learn how to use. Most people don't bother to find out that learning to use a Mac is easier than using a Windows machine that they already know how to use!

I'm not saying you can't argue with Apple's pricing... just don't blame their marketshare on it. Apple can't keep up with demand for the iPod at the current pricing, and their marketshare isn't suffering. Apple will need to start worrying about price competition when it looks as if anyone will be able to match Apple's user experience. The key for Apple is to maintain or improve the user experience while reducing prices in order to gain market dominance. When the portable MP3 and online music experience becomes synonymous with the iPod and iTMS, Apple won't have to worry about serious competition of the basis of price, because at that point people won't consider anything else -- just like Windows.

But yes, the mini could stand to be $50 cheaper... and soon please, Steve!
post #40 of 112
Let's see, me a consumer sees the ad for the mini ipod comparing it to the other $199 players. Oh my gosh, for only $50 more I can carry 940 more songs, must have.

As I enter the local Apple store to buy this astonishing new mini ipod to join the ranks of the stylish.

Sales rep comes over, "Good day, may I help you? You seem very interested in the stylish new mpg-3 killer the new mini ipod. Yes it is much much better than the competition, more songs, small and best of all has the Apple interface for cruising tunes."

Sales rep continues,"Before you make a decision, might I show this 15 gigabite iPod. For ONLY $50 more it holds an astonishing bazillion songs, you can partition the hard drive to hold back up computer data or system software, you know, just in case you may wish to run disc utilities to repair your desktop. Imagine 7.5 X's the storage, extra utility, you just can't go wrong with this. ALL FOR ONLY $50 more".

I say Apple positioned this mini ipod exactly where they wanted it. Seems like Apple's marketing is in overdrive.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Official! New iPods!!!!