or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › imac display

imac display

post #1 of 6
people says imac's display is truly ditigal,
i dont get it, is the LCD monitor comes with PC not digital?
iMac Newbie and now with an ibook G4 1.2G too
post #2 of 6
obviously it's digital when it's in the computer but most displays are analogue so it get's converted on the way out. Digital displays have to reconvert the signal before they display it and this leads to some loss of quality. the iMac keeps it in the digital domain all the way therefore it gives a sharper image.
post #3 of 6
Yeah, a PC only has a truly digital monitor when the output signal is through a digital display connector (What is the official name for them anyway?).
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
post #4 of 6
[quote]Originally posted by Crusader:
<strong>Yeah, a PC only has a truly digital monitor when the output signal is through a digital display connector (What is the official name for them anyway?).</strong><hr></blockquote>

DVI
post #5 of 6
[so the display card converts digital signal to analoge and to the LCD monitor?
post #6 of 6
Well, there's DVI-D, DVI-A, DVI-I and DFP. DVI can actually carry both analog and digital signals. If you remember Apple's last 17" Studio Display, it was a CRT that used the ADC port, not the VGA (mini d-sub.)

DVI-I is both analog and digital. DVI-D is pure digital. DVI-A is analog only. DFP is for Digital Flat Panel.

A lot of cheaper, older digital flat panels use DFP on the monitor side of the cable connection while using DVI for the video card connection.

DFP is all but dead because it only supports a max resolution of 1280x1024.
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › imac display