or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › How to Connect a PC to a Mac

How to Connect a PC to a Mac

post #1 of 4
Hi,

I'v done a search thru this forum for my topic but none of the posts I've found are appropriate.

I have a G4 Dual450 X 10.2.6 and I want to connect it to my win98se PC. I have them connected currently via a crossover cable and now want to set them up. However, all the posts I've found so far deal with connecting the mac to the pc so that you can share files from the Mac via the PC.

Instead, what I need to do is connect to the PC VIA THE MAC so that the pc hard drives show up in the finder.

does anyone know how to do this? If I choose "Connect to Server" via the Go menu in the finder it searches but finds nothing!
Greatly Insane
Greatly Insane
post #2 of 4
first disconnect both from the network to prevent problems. then you'll have to set bouth to static-IP (192.168.1.x, where x are to different numbers). DHCP also works but I believe static is better in your case. you can allready connect bouth again. go to your Win PC and click on the folder nearest to the root (you can try to share the whole disk, but I don't know if it works) and in it's properties select an easy share-name without spaces (My_shares...). If you have a firewall installed on the pc be sure it lets your Mac's IP in.
On the Mac side it should be enough to "connect to server" and select the share. if it doesn't find anything type: SMB://192.168.1.x/ (x is from the PC) and click on connect. You should now be asked for your username and password. that's all I can think of now.
post #3 of 4
Hi,

thanx for the reply.

I've managed to get them talking thanx to your advice but I've got a weird thing happening.

I have a dial up internet account via the internal modem (56k) and the isp dynamically issues IP numbers. If I leave things as they are obviously the mac failes to connect since when I'm not on line their is no IP number.

So I created a new location and set the ip number for the ethernet port and voila! I can connect to my PC. However I can't connect to the Internet!

If I want to connect to the internet I have to switch to my Internet location and if I want to network then I have to switch to me ethernet location!! I can't seem to do both!

Is there any way that I can simply connect to the internet as normal and then if I need (mid way) to connect to my pc I can simply connect to server?
Greatly Insane
Greatly Insane
post #4 of 4
If you use a Gateway/Switch and let it handle the connection to the internet it works like a charm... Both the Mac & PC should get their addresses from the Gateway (DHCP Server) and Bob's Your Uncle (Stella's your Aunt?). It's actually a lot more secure for your Win machine if you go this route. I've been doing it for years...

Don't forget to share your folders/drives on the PC so they show up as shared (etc.)

Jb
the Grape
the Grape
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › How to Connect a PC to a Mac