or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › AppleInsider Credits System.

AppleInsider Credits System.

post #1 of 45
Now, listen to this ZANY idea:

When a person signs up they get 100 AI Credits, and when they got to a speculation thread, or something of that sort, they can put their AI Credits where their mouths is. They can plop their opinions on a rumor, true or false, and then they get CREDITS of those who opposed their opinions.... so, it would be for every post people could bet on

So, we can see someone with a lot of Credits is a smart chap.

Of course, there are ways to get more, annually, you can get 10. OR, let's say, you can be given more by moderators.

THIS is Zany idea... no? Incredibly ZANY, right?

Of course, I have no idea how it could implemented, absolutely no idea... whatsoever... none...
post #2 of 45
I'm all for it but is sounds like a lot of work to setup.

How would we go about doing something like this?
post #3 of 45
I don't know about vb, but there's already a mod like this somewhere at www.phpbbhacks.com for phpBB
post #4 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by psgamer0921
I don't know about vb, but there's already a mod like this somewhere at www.phpbbhacks.com for phpBB

What would one search for?
post #5 of 45
I don't quite get it. If someone says something stupid on here, people are pretty quick to let him know that he is dumb. I don't think it's needed. Most people here are smart enough to keep their mouths shut when they don't know what they are talking about. Seems overly complicated to me.
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows

post #6 of 45
But then Jon really could give us cookies
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #7 of 45
are you thinking about some kind of member rating systems or eBay feedback scores?

how about paypal?
be nice and help people = make $$
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #8 of 45
I say bet your post counts. I know people who would give away one day of their lifes for each extra post. Instant elite for three years of their lifes is a small price for some.

And this way we also creates a marked. You have to have buyers for your bet. If I said "New Powermacs in 2004" I would have to bet 100 post for each post i could caary home if I won the "bet". But if I say Motorola chips in high end powermacs this year the situation would be reverse.

But to be realistic I don´t think that kind of rating system will be the first thing to be implemented on the boards...
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #9 of 45
Hey that was my idea

Yeah, now who is going to be the bookie? We'll have to set the odds... whoever does that is bound to have personal bias. Maybe it should be a committee.

I say the odds are 5 to 1 that iMac G5 will come before the PB G5.

heheh
post #10 of 45
I WOULD take your bet... but we don't have a system

OH NO!

See? A perfect scenario that would destroy innocent lives, this is why we need an AI Credit system NOW
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by bauman
Hey that was my idea

Yeah, now who is going to be the bookie? We'll have to set the odds... whoever does that is bound to have personal bias. Maybe it should be a committee.

The marked could take care of that.

Here is the system:

We all start out with 1000 AIPs that you can bet.

First you make an offer with a time limit and possible how many points you are betting. The sentence should be:

"I offer a bet. iMac G5s will come before the PB G5. 5 to 1. Valid to 1st february 2004. Max 200 AIPs"

Then somone have to accept it before the time limit. It has to be in this form

(first a quote of the bet offer)

"I accept this bet. Betting 50 AIPs. Valid to 10th februrary 2004."

And then the first person have to accept it before the time limit. And then it is official. More persons could take the original offer (like two betting 50 AIPs against the first person)

Anything I haven´t thought about?
post #12 of 45
Brad's kickback?
post #13 of 45
I'd much rather have a "usefulness" points system like at apple's discussion boards....
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #14 of 45
a futures market on predictions might require knowledge of past "usefulness" of posts, agreed.
post #15 of 45
Hmm, a good idea, but what about those of us who never post anything useful?
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Crusader

you just keep your CREDITS

GET THESE ****ING BANNERS OUT OF HERE!
post #17 of 45
if so i want a system that subtracts 10 points for each smokey smiley.
post #18 of 45
Then Nebagakid would post the shirt off his back.
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by alcimedes
if so i want a system that subtracts 10 points for each smokey smiley.

I want a system that somehow kicks Nebagakid in the junk for each smokey smiley he posts. It's not a problem for anyone else, they use them in small doses and when it's appropriate!!!

post #20 of 45
Correct use:

"I'm gonna get me some fun tonight!"

Incorrect use:

"The pink iPod mini is MY favorite."

Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #21 of 45
Also who assesses the winner, and when? What if I say "100 's that the iMac will get a G5", and don't say when? What if I say "100 's says that the iMac has a fan"? I think there is a rumor site that lets you bet on rumors already. If smilies were the units, when you were in a screen you could see how many smilies you had available and when you ran out, no more smokey smilies! 8)
post #22 of 45
I just can't stand it when he always ends his posts with those tripple smoking smilies. Somebody please make him stop!
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
Also who assesses the winner, and when? What if I say "100 's that the iMac will get a G5", and don't say when? What if I say "100 's says that the iMac has a fan"? I think there is a rumor site that lets you bet on rumors already. If smilies were the units, when you were in a screen you could see how many smilies you had available and when you ran out, no more smokey smilies! 8)

In my system you have to have a taker of the bet, so it will even itself out. noone will take a bet that doesn´t have some kind of end date.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Crusader

well, you would still get to award points to other people who posted something useful...

and not only would the poster who wrote the useful post get points... the actual POST would as well... this way you could weed out the useful posts from the crap...

kinda like slashdot with user ratings...
post #25 of 45
post #26 of 45
A slashdot-like post system would be neat!

Currently slashcode is under GPL so someone has to be ripping-it-off/porting it to other internet related languages.

This would be great... but it may not work... but it would be great!
post #27 of 45
Don't you all worry, i have a backup of the smokey smily, don't think I am so daft.

I think that considering the difficulty and lack of a plug-in for this great idea, it may never come to life. This saddens me, a great deal.

and if you are going to try to kick me in the genitals, I must warn you, I wear a steel/velvet codpiece, it would you more than it would tickle me. I am sorry for that above statement, it shall be STRICKEN from the record.
post #28 of 45
Nebagakid, you're an odd duck...and I don't mean that in a good way.

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
Nebagakid, you're an odd duck...and I don't mean that in a good way.

People do find me odd. It is because I have poor social skills, and it does not help that I am sometimes a coward, and I hate confrontations. I go to movie's by myself, which some people find odd, but my brothers and father do it as well, so I don't find it odd at all. Some people would believe I have no positive input at all, and yeah if you are talking about polotiks or something of that nature, I won't be any good. YET, I can blast on and on about Macs, or about web design, or about computers, those skills I have. I hate change, can't stand it, yet I latch on to a hobby (Macs) that allows me to withstand dullness because they are ever changing and evolving. Yes, I am an odd duck:

What you may find most odd about me is that I have a pants schedule: Monday/Tuesday: Lightweight Khakis that have dirt stains and hole
Wendsday/Thursday: Brown pants I don't like.
Friday/Saturday: Corduroys that losing their bumps and a hole.
Sunday: Whatever, FREE DAY!

So, would you consider this the behavior of an odd duck?
post #30 of 45
^
|
|
|
all of the above are just fine except for those ($*&@)#(^ smileys.

just cut back a few on those and you'll be fine.
post #31 of 45
just out of curiosity... do you have "" in your clipboard or do you just hit the button a few times after every post?
post #32 of 45
One of the boards I go to (Ambrosia Software) has a "Karma" system. If you're helpful (or just a kiss ass), mods can give you positive Karma. If you're an ass, they can subtract Karma. Karma can be regained over time as long as you don't continue to be an ass. If your Karma hits -10, your posting privileges are suspended for a while. It's an okay system except some of the mods get a bit power-trippy. Of course, if you say that there, they'll go nuts on you.

Perhaps we can dock one Karma for each inappropriate smokey at the end of Nebagakid's posts? That would be fair, I think
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Luca Rescigno
If your Karma hits -10, your posting privileges are suspended for a while. It's an okay system except some of the mods get a bit power-trippy. Of course, if you say that there, they'll go nuts on you.

All sound like good reasons NOT to have that here.

(That makes no comment on the attitudes or ideals of *our* admins and mods)
post #34 of 45

And CosmoNut just got his privileges revoked
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
just out of curiosity... do you have "" in your clipboard or do you just hit the button a few times after every post?

Well, I hit it a few times, and i probably click 10 times, but it only captures 3 smokeys on average. If I want more, i have to invest time.
post #36 of 45
what's with all these heads attacking Nebaga's smokeys? i think its wonderful, and make more efficient use of screen space. i'm scanning a thread, reading bits, and wondering "who wrote this?" i have to move my eyes all the way to the left, and read the name of the poster for most of you "people". sometimes i even have to scroll a little because the poster name is out of view. it's a big plastic hassle, particularly for people who i haven't figured out their style yet. with Nebagakid, i never have that problem. i see more than one smokey consecutively, then i know it's him. he's our insane elite. and yet, for some ungodly reason, he has told us not only what pants he's wearing, but that he revolves them on a schedule (brown today, i trust). i don't know which part i find more disturbing: that he has a schedule just for his pants, or that he felt it incumbent to tell us. bring on the smokeys.

as for a credit system, i don't like the /. one (well, only because i've been there like a month or something and dont' have any karma). i don't think a betting system will be easy to do. but a way of pushing "good" posters up, and "bad" posters down in some kind of point system would be kind of interesting.
post #37 of 45
Oh, really, do we need to resort to some crazy karma system? People already obsess enough about post counts.

We know who the good posters are.
post #38 of 45
Who was the guy who ALWAYS included a little avatar-type thing after his posts? He made them himself, and they always had his name, were about 30x60 pixels, and had something to do with the subject at hand (I remember one with the Apple logo and another with clouds). Those were always helpful for finding his posts.
post #39 of 45
maybe the "bad" posters could have text that was really hard to read, like a color that would blend into the background..eh? That is a bad idea.

I went out of the norm today on my pants, I think I may have to buy new ones. I might also be making a spin-wheel for my pants, because it is something I cannot fight, the schedule. There is something that will always haunt me about it, and not in a good way. (<-- Clicked four times, for two?)
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Nebagakid
snip...
I went out of the norm today on my pants, I think I may have to buy new ones. I might also be making a spin-wheel for my pants, because it is something I cannot fight, the schedule. There is something that will always haunt me about it, and not in a good way. (<-- Clicked four times, for two?)

Nebagakid you crack me up sometimes... fight the pants schedule - if it doesn't kill you, it will just make you stronger!
less is more
less is more
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › AppleInsider Credits System.