or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › countdown to new g5's...

countdown to new g5's...

post #1 of 411
i'm sure all of you have read this from AI:

Power Mac G5
Meanwhile, updates to the company's flagship line of professional desktops are nearing release, with the sources citing January 20th or later as a potential time-frame. Recent reports on the subject have been crossed with mumblings of project 'q38'; a tracking name which is rumored to pertain to the desktop revision itself or the new series of 90-nanometer PowerPC G5 chips that will power them.

During the week of Macworld Expo, sources were vouching for the completion of the q38 project and claimed that the units were ready for introduction. "We were kind of expecting them," one source said excitedly, "I don't know what the hold up is... they're done. Maybe they're attempting to distance announcements or have yet to build up a consistent supply of the microprocessors."

with that said, i'll start the countdown at 7
post #2 of 411
post #3 of 411
I cant remember right now, but when do they usually annouce these things? Hopefully it will be before noon PST because that is when I go to work. I would like to check these out before I get on the work computer... Of course I can look it up then to... Anyways, when are releases usually?
Come checkout SetiLogger X
Dual 3Ghz G5 coming soon!!!
post #4 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by tfworld
I cant remember right now, but when do they usually annouce these things? Hopefully it will be before noon PST because that is when I go to work. I would like to check these out before I get on the work computer... Of course I can look it up then to... Anyways, when are releases usually?

i think last year there was a speed bump about 3 weeks after MWSF.
post #5 of 411
Quote:

Wasn't it usually Tuesday for hardware, and Saturday for software a while back?
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #6 of 411
Tuesday Hardware is usually announced (and maybe released)
Saturday Software is usually released

This of course is not a religious schedule, so it can change with people getting mad, an nobody giving a damn about them... see?
post #7 of 411
Ahh I meant the time. What time during the day is it? I remember the first iBook was released about 9AM PST. Does that sound about right?
post #8 of 411
Quote:
Ahh I meant the time. What time during the day is it? I remember the first iBook was released about 9AM PST. Does that sound about right?

It all depends where:
If It is in Paris, then you will hear about it whenever the Stevenote occurs. If they are releasing it from Cupertino, probably 9AM, that is a good bet. And if they are releasing iPodmini's, at MWSF, it will be whenever the Stevenote occurs.
post #9 of 411
But he is talking about something that would not be rolled out as a part of a Stevenote, just a speedbump. No big events, just new products. As far as that goes, I have no idea though. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows

post #10 of 411
post #11 of 411
laboratory fire and patent infringements.

post #12 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by billybobsky
laboratory fire and patent infringements.

but ibm's the shizzle (since i cant use the other word)....

5 days.....
post #13 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
but ibm's the shizzle (since i cant use the other word)....

5 days.....

21, 5, 7, 9'er, pork chops, mullet.

can someone lead me in the direction to the meat aisle, I'm lost?
-walloo.
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
post #14 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by willywalloo
21, 5, 7, 9'er, pork chops, mullet.

can someone lead me in the direction to the meat aisle, I'm lost?
-walloo.

i started this thread as a way to have a solid, nice countodown to new powermacs, and a bunch of random numbers keep showing up (dont worry about them if you dont follow). anyways... i was hoping this thread would start a little more discussion about the new pm's, but the other threads sorta took over. nevertheless, the countdown rolls on....
post #15 of 411
alright! I get to be the real 5...

I still say dual 3Ghz G5
post #16 of 411
i'm so excited!!!
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
post #17 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by mattjohndrow
i'm so excited!!!

I'm pretty stoked too. I've been waiting on the 3GHz for a while. I have no real idea of when these are coming out, or if there is going to be an announcement on the 24th, but I'm still pretty excited.

Don't confuse that with with actually expecting anything.
I don't believe any rumours until Apple announces it.
onlooker

onlooker

post #18 of 411
4 days til i can finally order a freakin powermac....
post #19 of 411
Quote:
4 days til i can finally order a freakin powermac....

that sounds pretty damn confident.....
post #20 of 411
is it four days till tuesday the 20th?

if so, that is the day i am betting on...but i have no inside info and i am functionally brain damaged...so take it with a dash of salt substitute (for my hypertensive friends here at AI)

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #21 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker

I don't believe any rumours until Apple announces it.

I'm with you... but I don't REALLY believe ANYTHING from Apple until I see it at a store or it arrives at my door. I sure hope we don't have to wait 3-4 weeks AFTER the upcoming announcement. (PB 17") That would be "el-sucko"... "here's what we are giving you... a few weeks from now"

Sure wish I would have had iLife 04 this week... my latest DVD project is due about 30 minutes before FedEx is due at my door on Friday. I guess I am happier with the wait than I would be with buggy software.

Apple will do things when it is ready. That's cool. But if they are "spacing announcments out" for dramatic effect - that's a foul.

90nm up to 2.6 ... surely that can ship by early Feb...
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #22 of 411
YEAH !!!!!

Three... Trice... 3 day's left!!!
post #23 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Holistic
YEAH !!!!!

yet they'll be the longest 3 days of my life!
post #24 of 411
Tuesday is PowerMac day? Isn't the anniversay on the 24th?

I'm looking forward to at least dual 2.6 PowerMacs are cheaper prices.

Fred Anderson said Apple wanted to shift more units of the PowerMac.

Simple. Cut prices, Freddie Boy.

If they got a couple of towers under a K they'd sell way more.

3 single cpu models.

3 dual models.

More choice. Spread over price points under and over a K. They'd sell more.

Apple have, in Hmurchison's words, got to grow some balls. Otherwise, if they don't move soon, they're going to get trapped in this 3.2% and counting down 'death spiral' that they won't shake.

What 'Mac' computing home run will Apple have to strike to get to that holy grail 10%?

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #25 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I'm looking forward to at least dual 2.6 PowerMacs are cheaper prices.

Fred Anderson said Apple wanted to shift more units of the PowerMac.

Simple. Cut prices, Freddie Boy.

3 single cpu models.

3 dual models.

More choice. Spread over price points under and over a K. They'd sell more.

well, the 24th is the anniv., but its a saturday, and tuesdays tend to be hardware release days.

i agree with your financial stuff. 3 single and 3 duals would solve the whole problem, but theres no way it'll happen. you should call up apple and take over marketing or something. (then, once youre in, i'll join you )
post #26 of 411
It would really be cool to see some new machines soon. I want dual 3Ghz G5's!!! Of course announced soon and shipping in 6-8 weeks...............
post #27 of 411
Oh yeah, you think they could ship the tall towers with dual G5's and then cut out part of the inside where the 2nd processor went? That would make the tower shorter and cheaper. Maybe this could be the headless mac rumor?
post #28 of 411
Quote:
yet they'll be the longest 3 days of my life!

ditto

post #29 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Holistic
YEAH !!!!!

Leave it to the Doctor to treat a pointless thread as fact.

(Bonus points for the 2nd grade use of the apostrophe. )
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #30 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
(Bonus points for the 2nd grade use of the apostrophe. )

LoL...well said!
- Maciej.
- Maciej.
post #31 of 411
Quote:

What 'Mac' computing home run will Apple have to strike to get to that holy grail 10%?

Lemon Bon Bon

Agreed wholeheartedly LBB!

I mean, you can get any number of PC towers with DVD-Burners under $1000... with 120-160gb hard drives!!!!!!

why on earth would you buy a slow g4 powermac with combo drive @ 1299. No way. (And this is the argument that most shoppers use) How about a combo drive equipped tower at $799-899 and a superdrive tower @ $1299. This would help apple get to the 10% (Even if it is a powermac g4 rebranded as a g4 LC)

Sony 1

sony 2

sony 3

hp 1

hp 2

hp 3

hp 4

hp 5

compaq 1

So these all of these average about $899 , add in a 15" LCD for $400, and we are looking at imac 15" prices with a DVD burner and average hard drive of $120 and average video memory at 64mb and average RAM is 512MB. Is it any wonder people don't want an imac! Getting a DVD burner is a minimum $400 premium and you get less hard drive and video memory on your 17" imac compared with PCs in a simlar proce range.

A potential windows switcher can only justify so much extra expense before staying where they are.

Hopefully paying for ilife can help get the prices more in-line with the competition, and beyond the mythical 3%
post #32 of 411
Quote:
3 single cpu models.
3 dual models.

That's exactly what I wish Apple would do.

But don't you think they had done it already if they thought they could make money with such a product line?

Now the 970 will catch up with the fastest P4 in a few days - perhaps this will change Apples mind...
post #33 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by jade
why on earth would you buy a slow g4 powermac with combo drive @ 1299. No way. (And this is the argument that most shoppers use) How about a combo drive equipped tower at $799-899 and a superdrive tower @ $1299. This would help apple get to the 10% (Even if it is a powermac g4 rebranded as a g4 LC)

Because you still need to boot in OS 9 to use Quark 4.11 without any hitches? Quark 4.11 is probably the most widely used page layout program in the DTP arena today.
post #34 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by @homenow
Because you still need to boot in OS 9 to use Quark 4.11 without any hitches? Quark 4.11 is probably the most widely used page layout program in the DTP arena today.

If I recall, sales of the G4 towers still available are practically zero.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #35 of 411
To return briefly to the topic... sorta.... what is the conventional wisdom on the (Rev B) G5s re: more interal storage. Do you think we will see 3 or 4 hard drives in the HUGE G5 enclosure anytime soon... or are we looking at Rev C? Ideas?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #36 of 411
off topic
Quote:
Originally posted by @homenow

yup, and it works fine under classic on a 3 year old powerbook so it should fly under classic on a G5 tower.
anyway Quark is having compitition of Adobe CS.
adobe CS (photoshop/indesign/illustrator/acrobat pro) is much cheaper than Xpress 6.0 alone, (well, in the old world that is. a copy of Xpress6.0 sets you back 1999 euri (no joke))
an upgrade from photoshop 5.5 is even less.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #37 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Jubelum
To return briefly to the topic... sorta.... what is the conventional wisdom on the (Rev B) G5s re: more interal storage. Do you think we will see 3 or 4 hard drives in the HUGE G5 enclosure anytime soon... or are we looking at Rev C? Ideas?

i dont think we'll see more hard drive slots this time around, but its apple....

2 days....
post #38 of 411
Quote:
i dont think we'll see more hard drive slots this time around, but its apple....

2 days....

I don't know about that. There was a lot of talk about needing less cooling due to the fact that the G5 was moving to the 90nm process. Maybe one more optical bay (this NEEDS to happen) and hopefully one more drive bay too.

post #39 of 411
i agree it needs to happen, but i'm not gonna get my hopes up... another optical drive would just be awesome.
post #40 of 411
All I know is that *something* is getting an external FW800 enclosure. I am going for a half terabyte SATA , Superdrive AND 52x cd burner. Looks like I may as well go ahead and start looking at enclosures... I just wish we could get EITHER more drives or another MO slot. We'll see, I guess.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › countdown to new g5's...