or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › countdown to new g5's...

countdown to new g5's... - Page 6

post #201 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
With VT upgrading to Xserves I think we know where the first batch of .09 970s is going. Their first order delayed the original G5 launch and Steve won't make the same mistake twice. He'd much rather have a few more 1,000 G5 Xserve orders on the books than announce new Power Macs or G5 iMacs with no chips to put in them.

Good call, EP! Best reasoning I've seen.

As for 3Ghz, I hope Steve (by way of IBM) can under-promise and over-deliver.

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #202 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by sCreeD

Screed

under promise and over deliver stop talknig about george bush i tired of that
"Cuz if you leave the world a better place than when you got here, we all win"
-MURS 316
-MURS 316
post #203 of 411
Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
post #204 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by AirSluf
He's just the AI long term self appointed syntax squad, ignore those posts. Nothing to see there--move along.

who me?
-MURS 316
-MURS 316
post #205 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Ompus
A quick question for Ensign Pulver: Does insulting someone's intelligence after they misplace an apostrophe on Appleinsider feed an egotistical need - or are you simply a jerk?

Regardless, perhaps you could scratch that itch by using your sig to whine about its, it's, or some other irrelevant point of punctuation, grammar or syntax.

For people whose world view extends beyond their own egos, Othello's joke was pretty funny...

Grammar-insider.com

To what level does the English language need to sink before it's acceptable to point it out? If I spelled the word cat as "katt" would that warrant a general comment on a forum such as this? Spelling fees as "fee's" is just as bad in my book.

And Ompus, punctuation, grammar and syntax are NEVER irrelevant.

Mods - Sorry for the OT rant, but I've tried addressing this issue in GD, but if you don't point it out where it happens it doesn't do any good. Just trying to keep our AI standards up. God knows we need it.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #206 of 411
I'm posting this to this thread just to clear the air a bit.

Members can edit their posts. If you feel like playing editor, PM them. It's far less confrontational than calling them out in public, and it doesn't clutter threads with OT schoolmarming.

If you decide to send a PM, be nice about it. Accusing people of slop or incoherence or whatever just puts them in a defensive posture.

I expect this to be the last post in this thread on issues of language.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #207 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by sCreeD

Screed

Back OT - Thanks sCreeD.

For those worried about Apple abandoning the Mac lately in favor of the iPod, I think the new Xserve G5s are the answer to that. Look for supercomputer clusters like VT's to spring up everywhere starting this quarter. Apple will grab tons of market share, mind share and profits - more than they could with Power Macs and iMacs actually, at least in the short run.

post #208 of 411
deleted
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #209 of 411
and i apologise instantly for posting that. long long day. horrible clients.
post #210 of 411
Only 7 more days until the next expected PowerMac update!!!
post #211 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude [B]Only 7 more days until the next expected PowerMac update!!!

Uhm, how about Thursday? Apple has a history of Thursday updates as well.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
post #212 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude
othello,

I believe you can delete your post, if you want.

Back On Topic!

Only 7 more days until the next expected PowerMac update!!!

says who!??!?!
-MURS 316
-MURS 316
post #213 of 411
I'm not worried about VT taking all the new chips - IBM has probably shipped 10,000 to 20,000 of the new chips. No way are they going to be putting out the chips at full speed and shipping them 1,000 at a time.

I'm figuring that we've got another week of going nuts before we can relax for, say, two months. At that time the G5 PB posts will eat up the internet.
Ken
Ken
post #214 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by PS5533
says who!??!?!

sez me!

I doubt that means anything to Apple though.
post #215 of 411
Given the current channel inventory, there is no way we will see a new G5 in a week. Apple is clearly privileging XServes with this one. I would not be surprised to hear of other G5 clusters popping up. Until XServe demand drops, I would expect every 970FX to go there.

Check out http://www.macprices.com/powermactracker.shtml
post #216 of 411
What demand? They haven't even sold any yet. Further no matter how well Apple does the server market is tiny compared to the G5 PowerMac market.

I have to believe the delays are more critical than a few thousand chips to go to VT. I suspect that they are having trouble qualifying the upgrades and are trying to work out what ever quality issues the rev B PowerMacs may have.

Apple still has plenty of time before it has to debut an PM upgrade, they realize this and want to get the rev B right. Even is that may mean delays past the 20th. Lets face it if Apple intends to keep the present bus ratio they will be moving into completely uncharted waters with respect to frequencies across a PC board.

Frankly they should take their time they have a usefull lead now with e-bus, there is no sense in ruching to market something that is not ready.

Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by *l++
Given the current channel inventory, there is no way we will see a new G5 in a week. Apple is clearly privileging XServes with this one. I would not be surprised to hear of other G5 clusters popping up. Until XServe demand drops, I would expect every 970FX to go there.

post #217 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
and i apologise instantly for posting that. long long day. horrible clients.

Hugs ... I'm a hot babe, no really ...
In life, as in chess, the moves that hurt the most, are the ones you didn't see ...
In life, as in chess, the moves that hurt the most, are the ones you didn't see ...
post #218 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by *l++

If all Apple has to release is a rev B 2 Ghz chip (ie 970FX) that is in the Xserve, then there isn't even a need to anounce them. I'm sure that IBM is getting more from the die shrink than that. Since that is the only Xserve anounced then there isn't much of a conflict, at least on the high end.
post #219 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by @homenow
If all Apple has to release is a rev B 2 Ghz chip (ie 970FX) that is in the Xserve, then there isn't even a need to anounce them. I'm sure that IBM is getting more from the die shrink than that. Since that is the only Xserve anounced then there isn't much of a conflict, at least on the high end.

excellent point
post #220 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
With VT upgrading to Xserves I think we know where the first batch of .09 970s is going. Their first order delayed the original G5 launch and Steve won't make the same mistake twice. He'd much rather have a few more 1,000 G5 Xserve orders on the books than announce new Power Macs or G5 iMacs with no chips to put in them.

Where'd you get that from? If Apple are worried about the delivery of a couple of thousand chips, or even 10,000, then there's problem a lot bigger than having sold some of them elsewhere.

It's much more likely that IBM cannot yet produce the volume Apple requires for G5 towers, but can match Xserve production.

If Apple can match the first quarter sales of G5s they are going to want upwards of 300,000 G5 chips, that's close to 3,500 per day if they were working seven days a week.

Where are 2,000 chips for the VT cluster going to enter into that equation - it's not even a day's production.
B&W G3/350 22" La Cie II, 12" PowerBook, 67 Mustang, 96 Honda Pan European
post #221 of 411
MacOSRumors is not popular here, but today's posting is interesting.

Quote:

"Word on the grapevine that Apple held back announcing faster Xserve G5s right away (despite having 2.2-2.4GHz+ IBM PPC 970FX processors tested and ready to roll in the new design) not only to build up stock to serve Virginia Tech and a handful of other excited private supercomputing clients -- but to gird for large deals like it is reportedly working on for multiple major government agencies. Included among these are "classified" projects; the price tags on these projects are reportedly "on orders of magnitude that would make your eyes bulge out," according to one source.

If these recent reports prove accurate, Apple would be able to catch up with demand by the general public for faster Xserves after new PowerMac supplies ramp up in the February-March timeframe. There's a long line for large-scale G5 clustering contracts -- Apple's progress in this area is ahead of even its most optimistic estimates which we detailed last September -- and each one involves many millions in revenues, so the outcome of each one can sway the timing of product introductions by weeks if not months in some cases."

EDIT: Oops, just added the last paragraph!
post #222 of 411
What kind of source close to such respected porgrams and institutions would ever use phrases like, "Make your eyes bulge out"?
post #223 of 411
Quote:
What kind of source close to such respected porgrams and institutions would ever use phrases like, "Make your eyes bulge out"?

I agree; I'm sure senior defence executives would utilise epithets that refer to anatomical areas considerably farther south that the ocular.

(is that OK EP?)
post #224 of 411
PBG4 Dude, that is the inthuzeeazum I like to see!
Come checkout SetiLogger X
Dual 3Ghz G5 coming soon!!!
Come checkout SetiLogger X
Dual 3Ghz G5 coming soon!!!
post #225 of 411
Am I jumping the gun by saying that Wednesday the 28th has come and gone with no introductions....tomorrow!
post #226 of 411
Given that the front page of the Apple site has been taken over by the eye straining Pepsi announcement, I'd say that the likelihood that we are going to see any new hardware this week is nil. That ad was obviously designed to run through super bowl weekend and I can't see Apple superceding it before then.

Time to brew up another batch of tea leaves and break out the ouija board.
neumac
neumac
post #227 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
...not only to build up stock to serve Virginia Tech and a handful of other excited private supercomputing clients -- but to gird for large deals like it is reportedly working on for multiple major government agencies...

The maths on this just doesn't add up, as posted previously by me and someone else.

If Apple can get the chips they would be using them, a few thousand Xserves here or there is going to make no difference whatsoever. There's no sense in stock-piling chips if you can get a steady supply, and there's no point in putting them in anything other than test machines if you can't get a steady supply.

Use yer brains people?
post #228 of 411
I don't think we will see PM upgrades soon for the reaosn metnioned as well as hearing form sources that "apple is totally engaged in getting the miniiPod out the door and douldn't care less about the PM right now".
Also, I htink we will soon start seeing the slow transition of apple to a mobile media device manufaturer - the computers are becoming commodioties -
As for G5 PB - I think one woul dbe seriously nutz to buyu a rev 1 PB G5.
Me? I have a ibook G4933 and dell 2.4G laptop and my needs are met for the time being .
But then, I don't do high end graphics. and If I did I would still look at a opteron or xeon pc - better bang for the $ - what is more important - the manufacturer of the tool you use, your time, 0r getting things done?
post #229 of 411
jsut b/c there is a new front page doesnt mean we wont see new hardware. when the ibook G4 was introduced it was only part of a "rotating" front page. i dont see any reason why pm upgrades would be any different in that respect.
post #230 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by maclamb
... "apple is totally engaged in getting the miniiPod out the door and douldn't care less about the PM right now".

Like they have three employees?

Quote:
Also, I htink we will soon start seeing the slow transition of apple to a mobile media device manufaturer - the computers are becoming commodioties -

I don't really think there's any real chance of that.

Quote:
But then, I don't do high end graphics. and If I did I would still look at a opteron or xeon pc - better bang for the $ - what is more important - the manufacturer of the tool you use, your time, 0r getting things done?

Personally I value my time, that's why I use a Mac, I'm more productive and I can do more - so, yes, the tool does count.
post #231 of 411
Apple has about 14,000 employees and I'm sure theyre all hard at work in their respective area of focus. Powermac updates will come fairly soon and I think we all know that, nothing is in dire need of revision anyway. The flat panel iMac was released at 800 G4 when the top end at the time was only a 1.25 Powermac, the iMac intro'd on the 7th was followed shortly by Powermacs going to 1.42 Ghz. The updates are coming to both lines right now, the Powermac and the iMac-which is my theory for any possible delay. Both systems need to be ready, maybe one isnt completely ramped up for production yet? In any case, expect updates any week now.
post #232 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiahtosh
Apple has about 14,000 employees and I'm sure theyre all hard at work in their respective area of focus. Powermac updates will come fairly soon and I think we all know that, nothing is in dire need of revision anyway. The flat panel iMac was released at 800 G4 when the top end at the time was only a 1.25 Powermac, the iMac intro'd on the 7th was followed shortly by Powermacs going to 1.42 Ghz. The updates are coming to both lines right now, the Powermac and the iMac-which is my theory for any possible delay. Both systems need to be ready, maybe one isnt completely ramped up for production yet? In any case, expect updates any week now.

hey, don't worry guys... look at the shipping timeframes for the current XServes G5. they still say 6 weeks. i think these timeframes have something to do with the smaller supply of the new 90nm cpus at the moment. as soon as there are more 90nm cpus apple will ship the powermacs as well. the current powermacs are selling ok - so there's no need to pre-announce anything. i expect new powermacs in the second half of february with immediate availability.

and btw: with apple mac os x you can do much more things at once. so there's really no need to look after an opteron or xeon - to do so would be a bad joke for every creative pro!
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
post #233 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
i dont see any reason why pm upgrades would be any different in that respect.

Croquer gives an explanation. I cannot say if true or not. They pretended on Sunday that Apple is not going to release new products for some time since they were unable to build the necessary DDR RAM stock (due to chinese new year). Today they say that Hynix will provide next week the missing 75000 RAM modules Apple needs to meet the (I don't know why) "magic" number 100000. You can read their comments for yourself, they have automated translations.
post #234 of 411
Quote:
[snippiesnip]
As for G5 PB - I think one woul dbe seriously nutz to buyu a rev 1 PB G5.
Me? I have a ibook G4933 and dell 2.4G laptop and my needs are met for the time being .

why would anyone be nuts to buy a revA pbG5? what's wrong with a revA product. you just bought a revA ibook G4, does that mean you're nuts?
Quote:

if you did high end graphics you wouldn't consider a opteron or xeon pc an option. as a graphic designer your computer isn't your hobby, you don't have a sysop at hand, you have to get your work done and you are a designer. so you would look at the most elegant, simple solution and buy a mac.
if it's about money i don't consider a opteron or xeon workstation better bang for $ than a G5, even i get the shittie 17" dell crt for free.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #235 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Croquer gives an explanation. I cannot say if true or not. They pretended on Sunday that Apple is not going to release new products for some time since they were unable to build the necessary DDR RAM stock (due to chinese new year). Today they say that Hynix will provide next week the missing 75000 RAM modules Apple needs to meet the (I don't know why) "magic" number 100000. You can read their comments for yourself, they have automated translations.

interesting....

in the line you quoted though, i was talking about the placement of pictures/whatever on the apple.com front page, and comparing it to the ibook g4 update.
post #236 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac

in the line you quoted though, i was talking about the placement of pictures/whatever on the apple.com front page, and comparing it to the ibook g4 update.

Obviously I missed something in your post. I wanted simply to indicate a reason why upgrades in the Power Mac line wouldn't happen this week.
post #237 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Clive
Like they have three employees?

I don't really think there's any real chance of that.

Personally I value my time, that's why I use a Mac, I'm more productive and I can do more - so, yes, the tool does count.

I have no actual knowledge - just posting what I had heard...
and read:

http://www.theregister.com/content/39/35087.html

And thought it an interesting idea.
post #238 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
why would anyone be nuts to buy a revA pbG5? what's wrong with a revA product. you just bought a revA ibook G4, does that mean you're nuts?
if you did high end graphics you wouldn't consider a opteron or xeon pc an option. as a graphic designer your computer isn't your hobby, you don't have a sysop at hand, you have to get your work done and you are a designer. so you would look at the most elegant, simple solution and buy a mac.
if it's about money i don't consider a opteron or xeon workstation better bang for $ than a G5, even i get the shittie 17" dell crt for free.

I mistyped - I meant version 1 PB G5
A new chip in a new architecture - yes, at least I'll wait, thank you, you may go first.

Also - the G4 IBook is not new - it; sthe 12 pb reassembled into a larger case.
post #239 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Apple needs to meet the (I don't know why) "magic" number 100000. You can read their comments for yourself, they have automated translations.

A months supply?
post #240 of 411
Quote:
I have no actual knowledge - just posting what I had heard...
and read...

I think it doesnt really bear much thought to realise that kind of operation isn't going to happen.

You've basically got about four types of mobile "multimedia" devices: stills/video cameras, portable/personal hifi, mobile phones and PDAs. Is Apple about to invent a completely new genre to be able to sell a whole range of multimedia devices?

I don't think so.

If they were really going there then they would already have a camera or a PDA out - both ranges got discontinued some years ago.

Now, it is possible that Apple still covets Palm - which would be interesting. But given that Jobs has publicly discussed "I tried to buy Palm", I can't see him trying it again.

Could it be in five years time that there's a Newton-sized PowerBook "thing", that you can plug a keyboard, large display and external drives into? Yes, of course that could happen, but that's just ongoing miniturisation, and a bit of a leap of faith.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › countdown to new g5's...