or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › countdown to new g5's...

countdown to new g5's... - Page 10

post #361 of 411
Imagine how long this thread will be by the time they are released.
post #362 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by billybobsky
why?

why? why "why"?
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
post #363 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Beige_G3

Kinda like the 'Mercury Rising' thread?
post #364 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Beige_G3

I think the "new powerbook" thread started almost a year ago is the reigning thread king.

I'm going to start feeding this one if a release doesn't happen soon, though!
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
15G 3rd Gen iPod

post #365 of 411
i think this is already in the top 5 (or something like that) longest threads ever at AI. i imagine the longest one after this will either be for pbook g5's or a "confirmed rev. b g5's" thread to discuss the new update.
post #366 of 411
Now, either we have got a MacOSRumors twin or great thinks are coming this year's WWDC. I am talking about Croquer dans la pomme.

Quote:

2004-02-05 - The PPC 975

The PPC 975 will inaugurate technology Simultaneous Multi-threading from IBM. The first results obtained by APPLE are impressive without SMT, a PPC 975 at 3 GHz gives performances SpecInt 1350 and SpecFP of 1479. Activated SMT, one passes to SpecInt of 1650 and one SPecFP of 1750. It is the double of a PPC 970 at 2 GHz. The chip which has 98 million transistors, consumes 71W at 3Ghz, and 86W at 3,4Ghz. Mac G5 975 will be can be announced with the WWDC and put on sale a few months later.

If this rumor is true (I somewhat have doubts for the timing, at least), then there will be no new Power Macs until WWDC .
post #367 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Now, either we have got a MacOSRumors twin or great thinks are coming this year's WWDC. I am talking about Croquer dans la pomme.

If this rumor is true (I somewhat have doubts for the timing, at least), then there will be no new Power Macs until WWDC .

Can't believe that quote! Surely seems to good to be true?

However if it is even partially correct, Apple will string out a few more G4 updates and then blow the whole shebang clean from the water... Hmmmm. Exciting prospect!
post #368 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by PB

hrrmmmm..... smells like the evil clone of MOSR IMHO. If you read some of the other "rumours" on that page you'll see what I mean.

JAN 24'th: iMac G5 with sligthly new form-factor and finished in aluminium? New G5s with room for 4 HDs and up to 2.6 GHz? Aluminium monitors?

Move along. Nothing to see here.
post #369 of 411
71 and 86 watts!? Time to break out the Intel Bunny Suits. July seems so, so far away from now.

Must. Resist. Urge. To Buy. 2GHz refurb.

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #370 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by sCreeD
71 and 86 watts!? Time to break out the Intel Bunny Suits. July seems so, so far away from now.

Must. Resist. Urge. To Buy. 2GHz refurb.

Screed

No need to resist anymore, Apple sold out of 'em!
post #371 of 411
Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
post #372 of 411
Don't forget, megathreads like "Mercury Rising" which didn't survive "The Great AI Blackout" wouldn't be on any kind of current "Top 10" list.
post #373 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by kroehl
hrrmmmm..... smells like the evil clone of MOSR IMHO. If you read some of the other "rumours" on that page you'll see what I mean.

JAN 24'th: iMac G5 with sligthly new form-factor and finished in aluminium? New G5s with room for 4 HDs and up to 2.6 GHz? Aluminium monitors?

Move along. Nothing to see here.

I'd have to agree, This is a huge load of crap. These two sites are setting up major disappointments across the Mac community, and it's going to suck. I hate listening/(reading) to all the whiners that believe rumors. They are the freaking worst types of idiots to deal with.

Of course everybody wishes numbers like those were true, but that's just somebody's imaginative thinking being interpreted as factual. It's a shame there are no real rumors until a few days before announcements.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #374 of 411
Hypertransport 2 is introed yesterday, they will integrate this new tech in products by the end of 2004
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
post #375 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by fieldor
Hypertransport 2 is introed yesterday, they will integrate this new tech in products by the end of 2004

ya... hypertransport or not, i want a new g5. now.
post #376 of 411
This is why I shouldnt waste time trying to figure out anything from Apples shipping times:

Friday
1.6 GHz G5 Same Day
1.8 GHz G5 Same Day
2.0 GHz G5 Same Day

Monday
1.6 GHz G5 Same Day
1.8 GHz G5 1-3 Days
2.0 GHz G5 1-3 Days

Tuesday
1.6 GHz G5 3-5 Days
1.8 GHz G5 3-5 Days
2.0 GHz G5 Same Day

Just weird and, apparently, I need a life.
neumac
neumac
post #377 of 411
Simple, Apple will still continue to sell dual 2.0GHz systems after the update while the single CPU systems will be discontinued.

See how easy that was?
post #378 of 411
It seems to me that it is a little soon yet to see new PowerMac G5s. Perhaps March?
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
post #379 of 411
MacBidouille (have to check that spelling every time), while no longer doing the rumor thing, does have an interesting tidbit. Someone received a 1.6GHz G5 with 8 memory slots (i.e, a dual motherboard). They imply this means the single proc mbs are "out" and an all-dual lineup is in order.

Anyway, if new machines aren't out by the time I have some funds together, I'm going to try and grab a dual 1.8 refurb and pull the 5200fx card, buy a 9800 and slap that in. I figure I still come out ahead, even though I lose the EDU discount. Timing is everything, though.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

15G 3rd Gen iPod

post #380 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by neumac

Tuesday
1.6 GHz G5 3-5 Days
1.8 GHz G5 3-5 Days
2.0 GHz G5 Same Day

Same day on the 1.6GHz, today (tuesday 10th of feb)... their new line: 1.6Ghz, dual 2 and dual 2.2Ghz and of course a dual 3Ghz
post #381 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by neumac
This is why I shouldnt waste time trying to figure out anything from Apples shipping times:

Friday
1.6 GHz G5 Same Day
1.8 GHz G5 Same Day
2.0 GHz G5 Same Day

Monday
1.6 GHz G5 Same Day
1.8 GHz G5 1-3 Days
2.0 GHz G5 1-3 Days

Tuesday
1.6 GHz G5 3-5 Days
1.8 GHz G5 3-5 Days
2.0 GHz G5 Same Day

Just weird and, apparently, I need a life.

Just to make it even more confusing reading tea leaves from shipping dates etc., go to their Special Deals page. I hadn't noticed it before, but they are now listing a lot of "Previous Generation" deals, with some very attractive pricing.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #382 of 411
ok i think i have it figured out:

apple just started shipping ilife04 with new macs, minis start shipping, xserves start shipping, and refurb supplies are LOW. i say not feb 17th, but feb 24th. everything's getting out the door, and therefore apple can focus on releasing a new product.

also, and i totally forget where i read it, someone said they recevied a single 1.6 g5 that had a logic board or something that only duals use. therefore, i think we'll see an all dual line-up, but the low end will still be on the 130nm process.

discuss.
post #383 of 411
www.macbidouille.com presents the news about the 1.6Ghz model with 8 memoryslots. What they believe is that the lack motherboards with 4 mem.slots, and ship them with the old 1.8GHz model mb.

Link to the discussion: http://discussions.info.apple.com/We...L.10@.688e561a

New models 24th of Feb would be nice, yup... my hope is before 26th of March
post #384 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by rickag
Just to make it even more confusing reading tea leaves from shipping dates etc., go to their Special Deals page. I hadn't noticed it before, but they are now listing a lot of "Previous Generation" deals, with some very attractive pricing.

They've done that since around Christmas, at least.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

15G 3rd Gen iPod

post #385 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by sls
www.macbidouille.com presents the news about the 1.6Ghz model with 8 memoryslots. What they believe is that the lack motherboards with 4 mem.slots, and ship them with the old 1.8GHz model mb.

Link to the discussion: http://discussions.info.apple.com/We...L.10@.688e561a

echo... echo... echo...
15G 3rd Gen iPod

15G 3rd Gen iPod

post #386 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by machem
echo... echo... echo...

Only a reply to ipodandimac.

Anyway, this is a countdown. T-XX days
post #387 of 411
post #388 of 411
Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
post #389 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by sls

Unfortunately I can't see the Australia tradeup promo as meaning anything other than no new G5s before 3/26. Had I known it would be this long I would have gotten a dual 1.8 many months ago, but now I might as well keep waiting.
post #390 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by AirSluf
Not particularly applicable to the 970 or Apple.

Ok, did you read the entire article???
post #391 of 411
Now through February 28, 2004, buy any Mac and save $300* when you purchase Final Cut Pro 4 and DVD Studio Pro 2. Or save $150* when you purchase Final Cut Pro 4 and DVD Studio Pro 2. This offer is available only at participating Apple Authorized Resellers.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
post #392 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by oldmacfan
Ok, did you read the entire article???

I'm not sure he did, but I surely did. Would you mind elaborating ? I'm not sure what exactly they are saying ?
In short: What is foundry ?

edit: spelling
post #393 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by knappa
I'm not sure he did, but I surely did. Would you mind elaborating ? I'm not sure what exactly they are saying ?

A foundry is a plant that makes chips for other companies that design chips.

The real news here is that the IBM exec said they were about to deliver 90nm versions of a System On a Chip (SOC) design for Apple.

SOCs are completely different from CPUs. If this is not a transcription error on the reporter's part, it is big news.
"Spec" is short for "specification" not "speculation".
post #394 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by knappa

Foundry, in this case represents IBM's chip making factories. They not only make their own chips, they make chips to order for other people (i.e. Apple). As for the interpretation of the article itself, I was hoping for the board to give a better interpretation than I can make. The whole thing seems to contradict itself.
post #395 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by oldmacfan
Foundry, in this case represents IBM's chip making factories. They not only make their own chips, they make chips to order for other people (i.e. Apple). As for the interpretation of the article itself, I was hoping for the board to give a better interpretation than I can make. The whole thing seems to contradict itself.

There's no contradiction. IBM is just bragging that their designs are better than anyone else's. They're saying outside designs require an average of 2.5 revisions before going into full production mode. (ie: No one knows SOI at 0.13 micron like IBM does! It's just chest pounding.)
post #396 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown
A foundry is a plant that makes chips for other companies that design chips.

The real news here is that the IBM exec said they were about to deliver 90nm versions of a System On a Chip (SOC) design for Apple.

SOCs are completely different from CPUs. If this is not a transcription error on the reporter's part, it is big news.

Could he have meant the system controler for the powermacs?
Not quite the same thing?
post #397 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by cuneglasus
Could he have meant the system controler for the powermacs?
Not quite the same thing?

SOC designs usually incorporate CPU, memory controller and I/O devices like ethernet, USB, etc. It literally is a system on a chip.

You'd expect something like that in a set top box, or a router, or some other "dedicated" device, not a general purpose computing device.
post #398 of 411

post #399 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by AirSluf
Yes I did. IBM foundry contracts are for non IBM products, IBM contracts to manufacture, not design and manufacture. Design can be a major issue in getting a process to fab correctly from the start. 970 is not a foundry contract but IBM's flagship product which has been shipping for over six months now. Big difference.

Go back and read the last line. Carefully.
post #400 of 411

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › countdown to new g5's...