or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Marijuana Overdose

Marijuana Overdose

post #1 of 29
nope, not a typo. i just read an article, at the telegraph, about a fatal marijuana overdose. i had previously read, and been under the impression, that the fatal amount of marijuana had an ld/ed of 10000/1 (meaning that the lethal dose was something like 10,000 times an average dose; comparatively, i've been told, alcohol poisoning kicks in at like 10:1). anyone hear about this? i wonder if his mari was spiked. this may also affect the potential reclassification of marijuana in the u.k. (they are [were?] planning to put cannabis in class c on jan29). your thoughts?

they quote a professor who says that "This type of death is extremely rare." I was under the impression that it was so rare, that no one, in man's recorded history, has ever died of marijuana poisoning/overdose, or anything related (i mean, aside from being so stoned that they miss otherwise obvious safety dealies, like windows, cars, trains, ...).
post #2 of 29
Something is afoot here. If by "stronger marijuana" they mean laced with PCP I could believe. And the fact that this comes just as the UK was going to reclassify the drug seems iffy. Perhaps if he died from a condition usually associated with cigarettes like a stroke or something. I don't know. I call Bunk. Bunk. Bunk. Bunk.

Bunk.
post #3 of 29
You can OD on anything, even water, if you're a big enough idiot.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #4 of 29
Bullocks, I've seen Cheech and Chong smoke a hoobie the size of my forearem and they didn't OD. Duuuude!!
post #5 of 29
genetically engineered or bred cannibis may be produced that allows for a larger dose of THT (active ingredient) than ordinarily. Also a persons suseptability to the drug will vary as a matter of course. The LD (lethal dose) is an average which means there is a distribution of LDs across the board.

In any event, Drugs are bad. This message brought to you by people like Nancy Reagan and by the numbers 4 and 20.
post #6 of 29
Drugs are bad mmmkay.

post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by rageous
Drugs are bad mmmkay.

Exactly what I was gonna say. It might not have even been an OD, just a reaction. Some people are allergic or have a strange reaction to pot when they smoke it. That is a likely culprit in this case.
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by DMBand0026
Exactly what I was gonna say. It might not have even been an OD, just a reaction. Some people are allergic or have a strange reaction to pot when they smoke it. That is a likely culprit in this case.

yeah . . . and the stranger the better
8)
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #9 of 29
Good reaction= hunger/munchies, euphoria
Bad reaction= cottonmouth or now, death
I miss the 70's......... just good clean gold for $20 a satchel
post #10 of 29
Marijuana, the only drug that doesn't kill people. Let's make it illegal
post #11 of 29
it's more likely it was pesticide residue on the damn leaves than an actual marijuana overdose.

i'm not buying it.
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by alcimedes
i'm not buying it.

Yeah, um, neither am I. I mean, selling, either. Nope, not me....
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #13 of 29
The main point of the article is that the guy smoked six joints a day for 11 years straight. Eventually the build up of THC must have gotten to him.
PC Free Since 1999

"Don't copy that floppy!"
PC Free Since 1999

"Don't copy that floppy!"
post #14 of 29
I smell something a bit funky in that article ... or wait that smells coming from my room. mmm chips ...
15" Powerbook G4 -- 1ghz-512MB-60GB-Superdrive-Airport
15" Powerbook G4 -- 1ghz-512MB-60GB-Superdrive-Airport
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by jante99
The main point of the article is that the guy smoked six joints a day for 11 years straight. Eventually the build up of THC must have gotten to him.

Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. That's what I suspect anyway. The THC builds up in your system. Once upon a time I knew what the half life was, but those brain cells are gone.
The Mom
The Mom
post #16 of 29
20 hours to 10 days is the half-life of THC. i love this website.
post #17 of 29
If I was gonna die... that right there is the way I'd go...

High as a kite... with no way down.

Really, if this person did not feel any pain from the reaction then he "passed on" really well.
post #18 of 29
Maybe we should get the trial lawyers after Big Cannabis.
post #19 of 29
Quote:

it says in the article, that the dood smoked like 6jays/day. i think he would have presented some kind of allergic reaction at some point before.

i was just looking around, and i found this quote, from the dea (hold your breath, its a bit surprising considering the source).

"Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man.... At present it is estimated that marijuana's LD-50 is around 1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman's terms... a smoker would theoretically have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette... nearly 1500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response." [In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition, U.S. Dept. of Justice, DEA, Docket No. 86-22, Sept. 6, 1988 (Young, J.). Back in '88, some member of the dea, or something, actually suggested reclassifying pot. the quote mentioned summarizes some of the points, which if you review the full text, are backed by medical evidence. the drug czar denied the attempt.]

seems i was underestimating the ld50. i don't know what about marijuana would mean that the supposed 20000x dose would have to be within fifteen minutes, but it makes it seem a lot less likely. and there i was trying to take an article at face value. that'll learn me. cool to see most everybody finds fault in the article.
post #20 of 29
Stay away from Marijuana. If you begin soon you will start smoking and then you just go downhill.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Stay away from Marijuana. If you begin soon you will start smoking and then you just go downhill.

what if i've already started? and perchance, i noticed that the downward slope of this hill, infact is on an incline (ie: i fall up)? then what? [fall up... what the fvck am i thinking? sweet sweet mari, explain this to me. ]
post #22 of 29
Anybody here ever mess with "liquid" THC?

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #23 of 29
http://www.drug-overdose.com/marijuana.htm :

The Drug Awareness Warning Network Annual Report, published by the US federal government contains a statistical compilation of all drug deaths which occur in the United States. According to this report, there has never been a death recorded from the use of marijuana by natural causes. Unlike opiates, barbiturates or amphetamines, there seems to be little risk from the use of large amounts of marijuana. When a person smokes too much they feel very tired and lie down. When people swallow large amounts of hashish, occasionally they get sick to their stomach.

Marijuana's effect on the user depends on the strength or potency of the THC it contains. THC potency has increased since the 1970s but has been about the same since the mid-1980s. The strength of the drug is measured by the average amount of THC in test samples confiscated by law enforcement agencies. THC is the chemical in marijuana which makes you feel "high" (which means experiencing a change in mood and seeing or feeling things differently). Certain parts of the plant contain higher levels of THC. The flowers or buds have more THC than the stems or leaves.

--

I doubt that the story posted is credible. They weren't even sure whether or not he ate any. Now, if they really wanted to prove their point that you can OD on Marijuana, don't you think a years time is more than enough to perform an autopsy to back their story up? Without that this is just another war on drugs pipe dream.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jante99 View Post

You obviously dont know shit about pot then. Six joints a day for 11 years is not that long compared to many marijuana users.

There are people who smoke 14 grams of like the best pot in the world (atleast 15% THC) and dont die.

It has to have been something other than the pot that killed him.

The absolute biggest danger with Marijuana is prohibition. This lets the black market control the supply of pot and they can do pretty much anything they want to it. Pesticides, fertilizers, and other "enhancers" that can be poisonous. These are thousands of times more harmful that pot alone would ever be. If the government would regulate it and have controlled growing operations then this problem would disappear.
post #25 of 29
Lol this story is from 2004. Thanks for brining it back up because its a good issue but this story is old. Didnt catch it at first.
post #26 of 29
I had a marijuana overdose two nights ago. I have been asleep for the whole night and whole day yesterday without feeling hungry. I swallowed a hashish the size of my thumb when i was drunk. and that hashish was very powerful for it is the pollen that i took in. the flower has more toxins than the stem or leaf.

Here are what I experienced during the overdose..... good thing i had my girlfriend with me to take care of me. There are a lot of hallucinations. I remember a bomb explosion that is so loud but there never was a bomb. We were in this dark hangout place but I kept seeing blinking lights. the place where we had our fun, there were no blinking lights. The place is dimmed. I also remember my girlfriend having wings and blinking as well. she is blinking orange light.

When we got to the hotel, I was washing my face with the faucet not turned on. I remember that even the hotel owner helped me into our room.

Here is what scared my girlfriend, i was breathing so heavily like something is blocking my throat. She wanted to rush me to the hospital but i kept saying no.

Drugs will always be drugs guys. Even if they say that it is safe, it is still a drug. No matter what the studies will say about marijuana, it messes up with your brain. hehehehe. I just want to share something here guys.

And this kind of changed my life too..... I guess I have learned the hard way. this getting high thing is worst than getting drunk. as for me from now on, I would rather stick with getting drunk.
post #27 of 29
this is just propaganda
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivermad View Post

I had a marijuana overdose two nights ago. I have been asleep for the whole night and whole day yesterday without feeling hungry. I swallowed a hashish the size of my thumb when i was drunk. and that hashish was very powerful for it is the pollen that i took in. the flower has more toxins than the stem or leaf.

Here are what I experienced during the overdose..... good thing i had my girlfriend with me to take care of me. There are a lot of hallucinations. I remember a bomb explosion that is so loud but there never was a bomb. We were in this dark hangout place but I kept seeing blinking lights. the place where we had our fun, there were no blinking lights. The place is dimmed. I also remember my girlfriend having wings and blinking as well. she is blinking orange light.

When we got to the hotel, I was washing my face with the faucet not turned on. I remember that even the hotel owner helped me into our room.

Here is what scared my girlfriend, i was breathing so heavily like something is blocking my throat. She wanted to rush me to the hospital but i kept saying no.

Drugs will always be drugs guys. Even if they say that it is safe, it is still a drug. No matter what the studies will say about marijuana, it messes up with your brain. hehehehe. I just want to share something here guys.

And this kind of changed my life too..... I guess I have learned the hard way. this getting high thing is worst than getting drunk. as for me from now on, I would rather stick with getting drunk.

This is stupid. You mixed alcohol and cannabis. Then you "swallowed a hashish [sic] the size of [your] thumb..." Your overdose wasn't related to the effect of marijuana. It was related to the effect of stupidity.

"OMG i swallowed a whole bottle of Tylenol, nearly died and had to have my stomach pumped! Tylenol is poison!"

But there's this...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,414542,00.html

Whadd'ya wanna bet Winehouse releases a song titled "Brain Damaged"?

Nevertheless, I believe this post to be completely fake and intended to draw attention to the spammy sig that follows in the next post.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

But there's this...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,414542,00.html

Whadd'ya wanna bet Winehouse releases a song titled "Brain Damaged"?

Nevertheless, I believe this post to be completely fake and intended to draw attention to the spammy sig that follows in the next post.

Wow

Quote:
Amy's first overdose in August 2007 was from cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, ketamine and crystal meth.

I guess that makes her an over achiever.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Marijuana Overdose