or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New 970 FX details from macrumors...

New 970 FX details from macrumors...

post #1 of 80
head on over to http://www.macrumors.com and check out the details... i'm really looking forward to my new g5!

take a look at power consumption
post #2 of 80
I'm really looking forward to the PowerBook G5
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #3 of 80
don't jump on that purchase until after solid pefromance reports hit the net!

Apple has a lot of challenges with repsect to a 970 based laptop, the performance of the machine very much depends on how they approach those issues. No matter what I do hope that they put a larger or higher performance battery in the machines in the next rev no matter what the processor is. Saying that though I'm waiting for the big announcment. How many think a new PowerBook G5 tommorrow?

Thanks
Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
I'm really looking forward to the PowerBook G5
post #4 of 80
Wow 24watts for 2.0GHz? With out another wattage number for another 970 90nm processor speed it's kinda hard to extrapolate what a 1.6 or 1.5GHz 970 would consume. 18watts for the 1.6GHz?
post #5 of 80
Nice... Technical specs from IBM. 24.5W @ 2Ghz??? That is much better than the 51W @ 1.8Ghz. This makes PowerBook G5 a reality. If they came down this much, think how non often the G5 towers fans will have to come on I will be getting a G5 PowerBook soon... Also note there is not top speed listed... dun dun dunnnn

Dual 3Ghz G5 tower
2Ghz PowerBook

coming to your Apple store soon!
Come checkout SetiLogger X
Dual 3Ghz G5 coming soon!!!
post #6 of 80
Just noticed that the 1.4Ghz 970fx only uses 12.3W!!!
post #7 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by tfworld

Hotchy Kamatchy! I have to load up that page now. Been putting it off too long.!
post #8 of 80
You will need to follow this link: http://www-306.ibm.com/chips/techlib...G_01-21-04.pdf

Check out page 9...
post #9 of 80
**DMBand begins drooling**

mmmmm....g5 power book!
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
post #10 of 80
Oh yeah, with power levels at or *below* G4 ones... They are coming soon
post #11 of 80
shit I just jizzed all over myself!
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
post #12 of 80
How come the 970FX is so much slower than the previous 970 at a faster processor speed? 5800 MIPS at 2Ghz versus 7584 MIPS at 1.8Ghz for the previous 970 (130nm) doesn't seem to make sense. That's quite a bit slower.
post #13 of 80
even I am impressed.
that is....if those specs are true in which case i think i would be possible to put a g5 in a powerbook.
actually im shocked because if you remember the "new" motorola roadmap they wanted to produce a dual-core g4 chip at 2.0 ghz that consumed 25 watts or less.
while these chips arent dual core,the fact that they consume 25 watts or less at 2.0 ghz is a considerable achievement.
WOW.
post #14 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by twinturbo
How come the 970FX is so much slower than the previous 970 at a faster processor speed? 5800 MIPS at 2Ghz versus 7584 MIPS at 1.8Ghz for the previous 970 (130nm) doesn't seem to make sense. That's quite a bit slower.

The SPECint and SPECfp scale as you'd expect, but that Dhrystone 2.1 MIPS is slower. Unless smaller numbers mean faster speed. Does anyone know?

The package also seems to be the same size - why didn't it get smaller?
post #15 of 80
Shhh! Keep it down folks. Have you no respect? My less than 6 month old PowerBook is sitting right here and can hear everything your saying. Its looking very depressed right about now. Pity on the meek.
post #16 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
The SPECint and SPECfp scale as you'd expect, but that Dhrystone 2.1 MIPS is slower. Unless smaller numbers mean faster speed. Does anyone know?

Nope. Higher means faster here. I assume it's in error.
"Time goes, you say? Ah no! Alas, Time stays, we go." -H. A. Dobson
"Time goes, you say? Ah no! Alas, Time stays, we go." -H. A. Dobson
post #17 of 80
WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!
i love it here when there is good news!
bring on the G5's for the entire lineup!
post #18 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
The package also seems to be the same size - why didn't it get smaller?

The package size (for all chips) is determined by the number of pins.
post #19 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by jginsbu
Nope. Higher means faster here. I assume it's in error.

And you may be right. As the design of both chips are the same, there is no reason to see different performances in Drystone, especially if we consider that spec are the same.
post #20 of 80
EXCEPT that chip makers tweak their chips in between revisions (such as this one). You would expect the new chips to be a little faster clock for clock... but not enough to notice, or indeed wipe out the margin of error in benchmarking

12.3W... can you say PowerBook?

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
post #21 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by tfworld

The power requirements of the new processor are indeed a surprise. I expected something about 30% cut in wattage specifications at the same frequency, but it looks like it is of the order of 55-60%! After that, I don't see why the whole Powerbook line wouldn't get G5s, 1.4 GHz for the 12" up to 1.8 GHz for the 17". And bigger capacity batteries too.
post #22 of 80
Now, this info would explain the rumor that the 750VX is going to power the iBooks, without mention to the Powerbook line. Of course... there is already a high end chip for the Powerbooks.
post #23 of 80
Anyone notice that the supported bus speed has gone up from 1.0Ghz to 1.1Ghz only?
This either means the 970FX currently tops out at 2.2Ghz or they are going to more flexible multipliers.
post #24 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Smircle

This either means the 970FX currently tops out at 2.2Ghz or they are going to more flexible multipliers.

Or there are things they don't say yet.
post #25 of 80
Yup, notice they list the speed at 2.0Ghz+? IBM doesnt want to steal Apple's thunder here. I wonder if this came as a shock to Apple or if IBM spent all their updating time getting the power numbers down. Compare this to an intel mobile chip. Anyone have numbers
post #26 of 80
If I recall correctly, IBM will introduce the 65-nm-970s sometime in February? Does anybody know the excat date?

I guess that Apple will release new G5-hardware (PowerMacs in particular) before or around that date as they did with the original G5 introduction where IBM had a press conference shortly after the keynote.
post #27 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by RolandG
If I recall correctly, IBM will introduce the 65-nm-970s sometime in February? Does anybody know the excat date?

February 2005?
post #28 of 80
From the register:

Quote:
According the Xbit Labs story, the 1.8GHz Dothan consumes up to 31W, rather more than Banias' 24.5W, despite being fabbed at 90nm rather than 130nm.

So it looks like the 970FX beats the Intel mobile processor for power consumption.

And I think that the 867 G4 powering my 12" is rated at about 18W. These new 970s seem to be easily within power consumption limits for laptops (at around the sweet spot for the next upgrade 1.4-2.0 GHz).

post #29 of 80
Intel have some serous problems with their 90 nm procsess. It doesn't save power at all, and the processors runs even hotter than its predecessor. Dothan and Prescott shows this clearly.

An no.. IBM willl NOT introduce its 65 nm fab this february. I would guess that second half of 2005 is more accurate.
post #30 of 80
Actually... watch for the 65nm later this year.
post #31 of 80
5800 Dhrys may be a typo because 8500 sounds about right at ~ 2.0 Ghz.

post #32 of 80
If I remember reading correctly somewhere that IBM is in parallel development for Apple on the G6. Could this happen in time for the start of the Fall semester?

Edited to add a "?" mark where it belongs.
post #33 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Henriok
Intel have some serous problems with their 90 nm procsess. It doesn't save power at all, and the processors runs even hotter than its predecessor. Dothan and Prescott shows this clearly.

An no.. IBM willl NOT introduce its 65 nm fab this february. I would guess that second half of 2005 is more accurate.

Maybe they'll contract IBM to produce their 0.09µm chips, just like, well, it seems like everyone else is?
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #34 of 80
...one other point noted in the IBM PDF - pg 9.

The junction temp limits of the 970FX are 20 degrees higher than the current 970. This is a good amount. This is the chip temperature, the heatsink/case will be considerably lower.

This means that the chip runs at higher temperatures reliably, creating a relaxation of thermal management in applications like laptops. May make them uncomfortable though...

I'm not sure what the G4 operating range was...

lb
post #35 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Curufinwe
5800 Dhrys may be a typo because 8500 sounds about right at ~ 2.0 Ghz.

5800 Dhrys is correct, it's the other figure that's incorrect. Just dig up the ancient PDF from 2002, the 1.8 has 5220 Dhrys.
post #36 of 80
The only variable in all of this PowerBook G5 discussion is the power consumption and heat output of the system controller. However, since Apple is working hand in hand with IBM on the G5, perpaps Apple has worked with IBM on doing the die shrink on the system controller too. What other issues might there be?
post #37 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Zapchud
5800 Dhrys is correct, it's the other figure that's incorrect. Just dig up the ancient PDF from 2002, the 1.8 has 5220 Dhrys.

Glad someone did their homework. . . either way, a typo
post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Laughingboy
The junction temp limits of the 970FX are 20 degrees higher than the current 970. This is a good amount.

I'm not sure what the G4 operating range was...

0°C up to 105°C.
post #39 of 80
IBM is sandbagging
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #40 of 80
sandbagging??? I bet they really have 10Ghz ready to go that only uses 1W
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New 970 FX details from macrumors...