or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › SecurityUpd2004-01-26Pan-1.0

SecurityUpd2004-01-26Pan-1.0

post #1 of 36
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2003 Apple Computer, Inc.

Software Update found the following new or updated software:
! SecurityUpd2004-01-26Pan-1.0
Security Update 2004-01-26, 1.0, 8000K [required] [restart]
post #2 of 36
Quote:
Security Update 2004-01-26 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users. This update includes the following components:

Apache 1.3
Classic
Mail
Safari
Windows File Sharing

Additionally, Security Update 2003-12-19 has been incorporated into this security update. Those components are:
AFP Server
ASN.1 Decoding for PKI
cd9660.util
Directory Services
fetchmail
fs_usage
rsync
System Initialization
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #3 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by bauman
System Initialization

Slow boot fix?
post #4 of 36
Is it snappier?
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #5 of 36
Does it add anything outside security? Like stability, fan noise fixing, boot time acceleration, and of course Snappiness?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #6 of 36
I'm downloading it right now, will report back when I restarted.
post #7 of 36
Downloaded and installed. No problems on a SP 1.8 G5. I was hoping (with no actual basis) that it would fixed the problem with certain https sites in Safari not displaying autofill info, but no dice.
post #8 of 36
The cleaning up after the install took a while...

Anyways, if you're wondering what this update does to your boot time, let me tell you: It's back to normal! Like before 10.3.2. Wonderful.

post #9 of 36
Arg. On one hand I am happy that Apple releases security updates and what not because.. you know.. they are security updates. But I swear if one more security update or .x update or one more thing breaks my PHP and requires me to restart my computer I am going to be really really [insert dirty word of choice here]
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by SilentEchoes
Arg. On one hand I am happy that Apple releases security updates and what not because.. you know.. they are security updates. But I swear if one more security update or .x update or one more thing breaks my PHP and requires me to restart my computer I am going to be really really [insert dirty word of choice here]

Same here. I'm not going to install it just yet because I can't afford to have php broken (again). I know it's an easy thing to fix but do they have to change the httpd.conf file EVERYtime?
post #11 of 36
Really I know its just a matter of renaming a file to fix it.. But it gets quite annoying after a while. Restarting is bad enough. I never restart this beast.

I usually don't even install security updates anymore. Or even .x upgrades until I figure its about time to do some catching up and then I`ll let it update
post #12 of 36
The php is not broken for me. I just had to trash the load of index.html files that it installs taking precedent over the index.php. Though I expect if you changed the order in the config file, even that wouldn't be a problem. It appears to be using the previous httpd.conf file because my other changes are still in effect.
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by SilentEchoes
Really I know its just a matter of renaming a file to fix it.. But it gets quite annoying after a while. Restarting is bad enough. I never restart this beast.

I usually don't even install security updates anymore.

Cool... what's your IP again?

These updates are the only time I reboot, but I always make sure I install them soon after release. (Let others take the first bullet, but get in there quickly enough.)
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #14 of 36
Meh, I am behind a router - and encrypt important files, I also back up my important stuff on CDs. Anyone who hacked into my computer would be very disappointed.
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by Gabid
Downloaded and installed. No problems on a SP 1.8 G5. I was hoping (with no actual basis) that it would fixed the problem with certain https sites in Safari not displaying autofill info, but no dice.

You're destined to be disappointed my friend: the Safari engineers have deliberately decided to honour a site's request that autofill be disabled for that site: knowledgebase
I'm lacto-enzyme-oxy intolerant!
I use breathatarian-based emollient
Meditation makes me ebullient!
I've never earned a day's emolument.
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by staphbaby
You're destined to be disappointed my friend: the Safari engineers have deliberately decided to honour a site's request that autofill be disabled for that site: knowledgebase

Huh. I had no idea! Good to know: now I can stop hoping my AutoFill will come back with each update.
post #17 of 36
Bootcache is not fixed. Boot time is as slow as ever. I am going to do the manual fix now. I avoided it hoping the developers would get their act straight in the next patch.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by talksense101
Bootcache is not fixed. Boot time is as slow as ever. I am going to do the manual fix now. I avoided it hoping the developers would get their act straight in the next patch.

ya there is a nice terminal command line to type in--i just did it earlier tonight. startup takes like 5 seconds now. i'll post a link if anyone wants it.
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
ya there is a nice terminal command line to type in--i just did it earlier tonight. startup takes like 5 seconds now. i'll post a link if anyone wants it.

oooh, oooh, gimme!
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
post #20 of 36
I installed the security update as suggested on my 12" PB. When I restarted, all my added programs had disappeared! The basic programs that come with the PB were there, but not any that I had added. I restarted the PB again, and, to my relief, all my programs were back. That kind of scare I don't need. Fortuinately all is now well. I haven't noticed any change in speed. I am using OS X 10.3.2.
TCAT
TCAT
post #21 of 36
So did they or did they not fix the slow boot problem? I never used anything before 10.3.2 and it already boots faster than any Jaguar build so I don't care that much, just curious.
post #22 of 36
It did the trick for me, but not for some others.
post #23 of 36
Well I'm going to install it, if it hasn't caused trouble for anyone. Are there any known issues or anyone having problems with it?
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by staphbaby

Thats interesting. I disabled autofill and it still does it.
post #25 of 36
I installed it and all I know is that my iMac is running very well. Even AOL hasnt crashed on me once while it had been doing so at least 2 times a day. It may be a coincidence but everything is actually running very well for me right now. Im almost getting used to all of OSX' quirks and getting more comfortable with it.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
Thats interesting. I disabled autofill and it still does it.

Odd, but the distinction here is that websites can disable it *themselves*, and Safari will respect that, unlike some browsers. So you can have Autofill enabled, but it *will not work* with some sites because *the site* has requested it be turned off.
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Odd, but the distinction here is that websites can disable it *themselves*, and Safari will respect that, unlike some browsers. So you can have Autofill enabled, but it *will not work* with some sites because *the site* has requested it be turned off.

I would prefer to turn it of completely but it wont let me. I hate autofill, I find it annoying.

Anyhoo, have you noticed hat when you click once in the space to enter a web address in most browsers the whole space will be highlighted? In Safari it does not do this. I do a lot of copy and pasting and its much faster to highlight the space with a click, then to have to drag across it.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
I would prefer to turn it of completely but it wont let me. I hate autofill, I find it annoying.

Anyhoo, have you noticed hat when you click once in the space to enter a web address in most browsers the whole space will be highlighted? In Safari it does not do this. I do a lot of copy and pasting and its much faster to highlight the space with a click, then to have to drag across it.

Yes, the URL field is a text field, so it acts like every other text field across MacOS X... consistency is good.

Single-click sets the cursor, double-click selects a word, triple-click selects the line. Just like everywhere else.

I *HATE* trying to select a section of a URL to edit it in, say, IE. It's freakin' tedious.
post #29 of 36
Quote:

As Kickaha says: this is standard behaviour.

But perhaps you should save yourself some mousework and hit ?-L, which highlights all the URL text?

edit: blast, that ? was an apple when I entered it...
post #30 of 36
Quote:

As the above two said, this is standard behavior for Mac OS X text fields.

Also, you should note that Safari's behavior is the same across most Mac web browsers, contrary to what you said. Camino and OmniWeb both exhibit the same behavior as Safari. Mozilla is the only one of the bunch that breaks the rule, but I suppose that can be forgiven since its UI is mostly all platform-independent code anyway.
post #31 of 36
just single click the favicon
post #32 of 36
So, to sum up:

To select the entire URL entry field you can:

1) Triple-click in the field

2) Single-click on the favicon (nice catch there, hadn't noticed this one )

3) Hit Cmd-L

All three seem simple enough to me.
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
So, to sum up:

To select the entire URL entry field you can:

1) Triple-click in the field

2) Single-click on the favicon (nice catch there, hadn't noticed this one )

3) Hit Cmd-L

All three seem simple enough to me.

You guys rock my world. Thanks again.

But wait, did you think I didnt have another issue?
When I open a new window in Safari the page is off center. I move it back into place but i dont see a remember placement option and this happens everytime I use the browser. Any ideas?
post #34 of 36
Quote:
You guys rock my world. Thanks again.

But wait, did you think I didnt have another issue?
When I open a new window in Safari the page is off center. I move it back into place but i dont see a remember placement option and this happens everytime I use the browser. Any ideas?

Why not try cmd-T, and then your new page will open up in a brand new tab in safari.

By having each new page open up in the center, the one behind it would be hid. I beleive that is why they are staggered.

But i much prefer tabbed browsing (cmd-T).

Edit:
One more thing i really like...
When someone has put a non-hyperlinked web address in their message like:
.ww.blahblahblah... (edit: of course AI won't let me put in a non-linked web address)

All you need to do is double click the address (the entire address gets highlighted) then cmd-c, cmd-t, cmd-v, ENTER.

Super-Speedy the link is loading in the new window, and my hands never have to leave the keyboard.
512k Fat Mac
LCIII
Powerbook 5200c
Performa 6400
Newton 110 and 2100
Powermac 933
12" G4 PB
15GB iPod
512k Fat Mac
LCIII
Powerbook 5200c
Performa 6400
Newton 110 and 2100
Powermac 933
12" G4 PB
15GB iPod
post #35 of 36
You could make a local html file be your homepage, and put some javascript in it that always tells it where to go. I wouldn't know how you would do it, but I know it's possible.
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by gorebug
Why not try cmd-T, and then your new page will open up in a brand new tab in safari.

By having each new page open up in the center, the one behind it would be hid. I beleive that is why they are staggered.

But i much prefer tabbed browsing (cmd-T).

Edit:
One more thing i really like...
When someone has put a non-hyperlinked web address in their message like:
.ww.blahblahblah... (edit: of course AI won't let me put in a non-linked web address)

All you need to do is double click the address (the entire address gets highlighted) then cmd-c, cmd-t, cmd-v, ENTER.

Super-Speedy the link is loading in the new window, and my hands never have to leave the keyboard.

I tried it with tabs enabled and disabled and it did it even when I opened only one window. Ill check it again. One thing I noticed about Safari is that it is unstable. One day it works great, the next day it refuses to load any web sites.

Another thing I noticed-I copy and pasted some weblinks into textedit and they showed up as clickable links. I changed it to plain text that one time and now I cant get it to come up as web links anymore and I see no way to make it do so. Wierd, whacky stuff.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › SecurityUpd2004-01-26Pan-1.0