or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › well MWSF is over; as usual Apple fails to deliver

well MWSF is over; as usual Apple fails to deliver

post #1 of 39
The first post MWSF thread. i realize it's a bit early, but with all of the G5 talk raising people's expectations to unrealistic heights I figure we may as well get started griping now. (Come monday afternoon these boards may be inundated.)

I'll go first:
Who would have ever guessed what Steve's concept of revolutionary was? But you know Steve-he knows best! So we can be sure that within a few months the rest of the computer world will follow suit. I mean, who could beat a computer and monitor all rolled into one form factor, with a Mac OS running on a 8mhz 68000 motorola processor. And the whole OS fits on 100k of disk space and uses 640k of memory. Best of all it it comes with a 500k hard disk and 1mb ram--and sells for $400! Imagine, a $400 Apple Mac-who would've ever thunk that? Best of all, there's plenty of headroom for faster computers appearing in the coming months. By starting off at the bottom Apple can astound us at each successive trade show with screaming improvements in speed; runor has it that MWNY will see new Macs called "PowerMacs" running at speeds up to 40 mhz-that's a whopping 500 percent increase in processor speed. Let's see Wintel match speed increases like that!

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Ptrash ]</p>
post #2 of 39
I am a bit skeptic of the 19" display iMacs, I don't think they are, er, as "portable" as the old ones. But the dual G3 at 700 mhz sure make them interesting, though 128 mb of SDRAM and ATA66 don't really represent the cutting edge.
oy!
oy!
post #3 of 39
Cool. Where can I get the same time machine as yours?
post #4 of 39
[quote]Originally posted by catalyst:
<strong>Cool. Where can I get the same time machine as yours?</strong><hr></blockquote>

He received a Macaddict magazine from Einstein Express. "When it positively, absolutely has to be there by yesterday."

I'm still miffed that I have to wait until Tokyo for an Apollo in the TiBook. And Steve, lose the black turtleneck & jeans routine. It's so 1990s.
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
post #5 of 39
I like the black mock turtleneck and jeans. It is his signature.
post #6 of 39
[quote]Originally posted by xype:
<strong>I am a bit skeptic of the 19" display iMacs, I don't think they are, er, as "portable" as the old ones. But the dual G3 at 700 mhz sure make them interesting, though 128 mb of SDRAM and ATA66 don't really represent the cutting edge.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm very skeptical of the dual G3 because the G3 can't go dual. Some technical thing or other. Expect some lawsuits...
post #7 of 39
I feel that Steve Jobs himself has singled me out in all the world and betrayed me alone -- stabbed me in my heart. Apple has done exactly what has hurt me most, and in the process has only done what is possible with technology. Why couldn't they leapfrog technological progress? God knows they had enough time to do something besides a speed bump, new chips, new features, new cases and new marketing! There (sic) ads suck!

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO "INSANELY GREAT?!!!!?!?!"

post #8 of 39
[quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:
<strong>I like the black mock turtleneck and jeans. It is his signature.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly, nothing else would do. A suit just wouldn't feel right.
post #9 of 39
We got a 1 GHZ machine.

Thats what it topped out at and we have to waint until March to get it.

Cobra
post #10 of 39
DAMMMNNN!!!! I can't believe those people actually booed Steve! I still can't believe it. They didn't boo at MWNY, maybe that's why they did this time tho. Man, and that water bootle just missed Steve's head. I'm just as pissed about the top of the line G4 being only 1.0ghz with nothing new to it but I wouldn't have thrown bottles at Stevie. Can't believe Adobe won't be releasing photoshop 7 until July, they suck!!

I'm going back to bed, I got up early for nothing!
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #11 of 39
What a dissapointment. "We think that this represents a totally new direction in consumer computing" my ass! His damn turtleneck must be on too tight! Dude, I'm gettin a Dell.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
post #12 of 39
I knew there would not be a G5, but in my heart, that's what I expected. I am disappointed... The pace of progress is too damn slow!
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #13 of 39
Well, no G5 Power Macs (told ya!), but you gotta admit, that new iMac is SWEET!

900MHz G3 with a cool slot-loading combo drive and an 80GB hard drive? Looks like it had a gorgeous screen too. It's going to be nice to move to a 15" LCD at 1024x768 after two years of this 800x600 stuff!

And that MOUSE! I didn't think could improve on the Pro Mouse.

And I TOLD you guys that the only iApp obviously missing was a basic, consumer-level photo editor! I LOVE how it removed red-eye with that cool magic eraser. What did Steve call it...the Exorcist tool? Gets the demonic-looking red-eye out of photos!

"The power of iSnap compels you!"

That was funny

Go Steve!

Nice to see that the G4 FINALLY broke the GHz barrier in the top two models, though. And you gotta admit, having the low-end at 933MHz is nothing to sneeze at. I'll take a near-GHz G4 for $1599! And hey, they ALL sport the SuperDrive, so what are you bitching about?

The best part? They FINALLY came down on those damn displays! The Cinema Display will probably start selling like crazy, now that it's $1999. And I've been hoping that 15" model got down to $399. And a $200 cut on the 17" makes it actually affordable!

This keynote was MUCH better than the one in New York six months ago.

I dug Phil Schiller's new haircut. Kinda going for that George Clooney/Julius Caesar thing.

And who was that hottie from Adobe who did the Photoshop 7 demo?!? Hubba hubba! Is she on the development team? Never saw her before!

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
post #14 of 39
I am switching to Wintel

Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #15 of 39
I can't believe they think an abacus and slide rule are revolutionary... I guess Moto really can't deliver enough processors. At least the beads are available in different colours.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #16 of 39
Ohh, I am sooooooooo amazed, Dual 867's for the top of the line. And, a 12 inch iMac is just what everyone wants, hah. Thanks for nothing Steve, you f***ing ***hole.

Goodbye Apple, Hello Dell!

That good enough?
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
post #17 of 39
OMG! the iMac is sOooOOOoo Ugly !!!!!! and it's only a G3 @ 800Mhz ... I can't believe it... it look like a PC... BEIGE ! and what did they do with the LowerMac : the same motherboard !!!!!! only with a 1.13 Ghz G4 for the high-end !!!!! No PhotoShop , No iPhoto or whatever...

WTF !
"I like workin on my Mac to jazz. A pianist doesn't spend time peeking inside the piano." Neville Brody
"I like workin on my Mac to jazz. A pianist doesn't spend time peeking inside the piano." Neville Brody
post #18 of 39
Well, I just placed my order on a HP......The new iMac looks like trash ..and the Dual 867 just isn't enough of a speed boost, dispite the Photoshop test where it was 70% faster than a 900mhz Celeron...

Arggg!!!!
Only morons use signatures
Only morons use signatures
post #19 of 39
Who would have thought that Steve would actually dump the Mac in favor of the Newton?
post #20 of 39
Did you see how Steve chucked that printer when it wouldn't print a picture out of iPhoto?
HEE HEE!! Dual G5 2Ghz. 2 Gig RAM. Yeah baby.
post #21 of 39
This thread is great! But as they say, "many a true word spoken in jest." Don't be suprised if you really are this disappointed.

- Pook
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
post #22 of 39
I've been waiting for the iBooks and iMacs to come in the brand new, Ultra Key Lime Flower Power flavor!! Woo hoo!!!!
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
post #23 of 39
I'm not even going to try. You guys are great.

LOL,
Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #24 of 39
man, the only good thing was that the AI forums stayed up through the whole thing
post #25 of 39
What's the iBrator?
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #26 of 39
I'll never do it again! Never fall for the line of BS you guys spin before every MacWorld. Its always a big set up for disappointment. This time was the worst. And to think I really, truly trusted Codename. I mean if you can't trust some anonymous person in an online forum, who can you trust? I have to admit, I was surprised when Steve said he was quitting. Didn't think he would mention AppleInsider specifically, or give us the finger. Now that MasterGateing has been promoted to iCEO we might just get some cool stuff.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: murk ]</p>
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #27 of 39
[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Ptrash ]</p>
post #28 of 39
Yeah, the new iMacs are nice, but my Dad's gonna have to wait until March to get one. And I can't believe Steve chucked Avie Tevanian into the audience when OS X DVD player didn't play his Monsters 2 trailer.
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
post #29 of 39
yeah im totally bummed too. The iMac sucks, topping out at 900mhz?!?!?!?! come on now. And why in the hell is it in the shape of a pear? No new displays or even price cuts. PowerMac still hasnt broken the ghz barrier. And no new hardware advancements either.

Time to start saving up for the next expo when i know for certain they will debut a G5, i have a confirmed rumor that i heard while standing in line at the movies from this guy behind me, he said that in this new movie they talk about the G5 and OSX 10.9 and that the actor who says this has a friend of a friend that heard from a developer that there was this machine that he heard of from a friend that could do operations at like 20 to 30 times as fast as current machines but he never said what kind of operations and he also said he heard a voice coming from inside the totally sealed enclosure of an alien who was actually using his mind to perform the operations of the cpu, and that apple had been breading these aliens in their cupertino headquarters for the past 10 years and now they finally have enough of them for mass distribution. Hey where do you think the name iPod came from huh?

/end totally ununderstandable line of thought that is only one sentence.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: dartblazer ]</p>
dartblazer
<a href="http://www.openoffice.org" target="_blank">openoffice.org</a>
<a href="http://www.openbeos.org" target="_blank">openbeos.org</a>
Have a good-cold day
dartblazer
<a href="http://www.openoffice.org" target="_blank">openoffice.org</a>
<a href="http://www.openbeos.org" target="_blank">openbeos.org</a>
Have a good-cold day
post #30 of 39
&lt;you know we need to keep this thread to compare it on the 7th with what we really end up saying &gt;
post #31 of 39
[quote]Originally posted by torifile:
<strong>

I'm very skeptical of the dual G3 because the G3 can't go dual. Some technical thing or other. Expect some lawsuits...</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's not quite right. You can't have more than two G3s without *lots* of support hardware. I think there might be a couple "gotcha"s with using dual G3s, but I can't remember. In any case, I know a dual G3 can be done because the BeBox had dual G3s.
post #32 of 39
[quote]Originally posted by Whisper:
<strong>

That's not quite right. You can't have more than two G3s without *lots* of support hardware. I think there might be a couple "gotcha"s with using dual G3s, but I can't remember. In any case, I know a dual G3 can be done because the BeBox had dual G3s.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Be Box did it quite well with a 603, and it was even more limited in multiprocessing capabilities than the G3. Back when Be was hot, I posted to a Be board about the lack of true SMP support in the 603. I got an angry reply from a Be developer who told me that everyone who says the 603 can't do MP is wrong. G3 MP should be very doable.

I'm not going to post any gloomy predictions, since I believe we'll be pretty happy after Macworld. All of the rumors have obviously inflated our hopes to dangerous levels, yet something still gives me hope. We probably won't see G5s on the 7th. At the same time, however, Steve knows he has to deliver something the market really wants. I'm betting the new iMac will be insanely great.
PPC4EVER
PPC4EVER
post #33 of 39
[quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:
<strong>... And I can't believe Steve chucked Avie Tevanian into the audience when OS X DVD player didn't play his Monsters 2 trailer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, that was kind of funny. Some people in the audience thought it was another promotion like when Steve threw out those e***** t-shirts earlier in the keynote. Everyone was scrambling to get an Avie they could take home. The almost forgot about the iPopper digital camera under everyone's seat.

Now I'm sure people will think twice about vilifying the Kormacs and Dorsals of the world, when their predictions came true. Why, this MacWorld was just like a... dream on.
post #34 of 39
OK, the signs were clear - in hindsight. Everyone should have been able to notice, but it surprised me nonetheless. I mean, it was bound to happen at some time, and after this long it was even likely. Companies do this all the time to stay focused and rejuninate.
And the time maybe just right. After all, MacOS-X is on track but with a massive delay. The prospect of a G5 is clear, but competition, especially from AMD is stiff. So there are still chances and risks.

Nevertheless I felt sorry to see Jobs go.
post #35 of 39
They have to do something great now. Have you seen apple.com today? They are hyping this one as "Macworld Expo, This One is big. Even by our standards." WTF :eek: Something great must be coming.
post #36 of 39
[quote]Originally posted by imacSE:
<strong>They have to do something great now. Have you seen apple.com today? They are hyping this one as "Macworld Expo, This One is big. Even by our standards." WTF :eek: Something great must be coming.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree. Now usually I would dismiss this as regular everyday marketing-speak. However Apple should have the ability to tell the delayed-wow (such as the iPod reaction) from the real, meaty, tangible, BIG, e.g. the G5s that may or may not be coming.
post #37 of 39
I just can't get Steve's final comments out of my mind. I thought I had heard something similar somewhere before. Suddenly it hit me Sue's speech from Survivor I.
[quote] Quoting Steve Jobs: " There are two kinds of Mac users rats and snakes. I'm a snake, and I swear I'll spend the rest of my days hunting down those rat bastards at Applensider." (This is where he gave us the finger) <hr></blockquote>
post #38 of 39
Steve: "HAHA - we sure had you fooled with that giant web banner on our home page! So how do you like the iCrapper anyway?"
post #39 of 39
I have a very good feeling about this one. If it was going to be nothing they wouldn't be hyping it up so much ( that's called setting yourself up for a fall ). If it's going to be nothing big they wouldn't be drawing more attention to it.

I really don't know what it will turn out to be but, I think there will be some basic changes to their product line ( bigger changes than they have made in a long time ). Will this be the new imac or the G5 ( or both ) ? I have no idea but I think something dramatic will happen.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › well MWSF is over; as usual Apple fails to deliver