or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The Reinvention of Apple Computer

The Reinvention of Apple Computer

post #1 of 153
Below are a few "predictions" for 2004 and beyond. I'll give no reasons why you should believe any of this. "Faeylyn" isn't my real name. And, you folks at Apple Legal will never find out who I really am, so don't bother trying.

And now....

Sit down before you read this and prepare to pull your jaw up off the floor.

The 20th anniversary of Apple Computer brought a new, very cool 20th anniversary Macintosh. The upcoming 20th anniversary of the Macintosh will bring a new, insanely great reinvention of Apple Computer itself. Timeframe: 2004. Not all at once (unfortunately), but all in 2004.

Everything EVERYTHING is going to get an update.

The rumor mills are flying with seemingly conflicting information. Its not conflicting, just confusing because most people cant imagine the across-the-board changes coming.

1. G5 XServes: Of course. Nothing unexpected here. Already announced. Expect XServe updates to keep better pace with PowerMac updates for the foreseeable future. 3U 4-processor and 8-processor XServes are in the labs, but its unclear whether these will be released in 2004 (or at all).

2. PowerMac Updates: All Dual, starting at 2GHz/$1999. New impressive internal specs as well. $1999 for the entry-level tower model? People will surely revolt! Not when they see whats coming next.

3. AIO (All In One) iMacs are bye-bye. Take the pod/base of the iMac, chop off the display, redesign it to look uber-cool as only Ives can do, plop in single G5s and impressive (albeit less impressive than PowerMac) internals, and price-points of $999/1.6GHz, $1299/1.8GHz, $1599/2.0GHz. No super-drive or oodles of memory at $999. This effectively takes care of the new cube or headless iMac rumors. But what about AIO lovers? AIO iMacs are gone, but were not done yet. Keep reading.

4. Display Update #1: Why would anyone buy a pricey Apple-brand monitor for their new iMac when they can get better price/performance from brand-x. (1) Form-factor. While you technically could tack a blasé display to a mondo-cool iMac, no one will want to just based on the looks alone. Expect the display look/feel to perfectly match the new new iMac. Taken together, they will appear to be all-in-one-ish. Or, put the new new iMac under the desk and the new displays will still look very, very Apple. Also expect a reduction in price for the base model and larger displays.

5. Display Update #2: Kill me now. Think large. Think ULTIMATE viewing experience.

6. PowerBook Updates: Yes. Q1/2004 PowerBook G4s at 1.4, 1.6, and 1.8GHz. Other impressive internals to take advantage of the new IBM-based G4. An even better form factor (is that possible?). New, higher-resolution screens and better video cards across the board. G5 PowerBooks wont appear until late 2004. There are just too many heat and power issues to work out without compromising the portables form factor.

7. iBook Updates: Yes. Basically a crippled PowerBook. No new displays for the iBook this time around. Expect the high-end iBook to top out where the bottom-end PowerBook begins. Look for price points starting at $999 for a 1GHz 12 model. 1.4GHz will appear in the top-end. With the slight reduction in price and the better performance, these babies should fly off the shelves. Expect the following round of iBook updates to go mimic the 1.4/1.6/1.8 G4 PowerBook updates above. When the PowerBooks go to G5's the iBooks will go to high-end G4s.

8. eMac Updates: But of course! But first, for those who think Apple should abandon this design, forget it. Theres a market that requires this design and is willing to shell out your tax dollars in order to get it. Get over it already. However, while the form-factor is needed, that doesnt mean a design makeover for the thing isnt in order. Next to all the other updates the current eMac design would look pretty shabby. Add to the new design the new IBM G4s running at 1.4, 1.6, and 1.8GHz. Faster memory, better graphics, and like that.

Thats it for the existing hardware updates. As mentioned, not everything will be available at once. Expect at least one significant announcement per quarter though. So if you dont see something above by end of Q1, that makes it much more likely for Q2, and so on.

Apple wants a LOT of press out of the 2004 updates. They have been slowly (very slowly) tugging away market share from Wintel in 2003. What theyre looking to do with these product releases is to give a good solid yank on that chain rather than the gentle tug that has been happening up to this point. [A side-note rumor is that this is one of the reasons Microsoft purchased Virtual PC. Microsoft is EXPECTING Apple to make significant inroads into the PC market-space in 2004-2005.]
post #2 of 153
Oh yes. One more thing.

iPods and iTMS.

Consider the iPod. Technically, its not really very advanced at all. Theres really nothing special about it. The fact that its currently the best music player out there really speaks to the complete ineptitude of other companies more than it speaks to the technical prowess of Apple (not speaking Marketing prowess here, okay?) Technically, its just a so-so device.

Others will soon (end of 2004) catch up and pass (end of 2005) the iPod in the coolness factor. Apple cannot compete in a commodity market like this in the long-run. Others will continue to make improvements and eventually surpass the iPod. And when the iPod is no longer the cool kid on the block, what will become of the iTMS? Yes, the interface of the iTMS is better than the rest, but like all things Wintel theyll continue to make minor updates until they finally get it right. Or, more accurately, good enough.

So if people are flocking to the cool new sPod from Sony, and if people can connect to another music service to feed music to that device, where does that leave Apple?

Apple knows this. And they have no intention of letting yet another market that they pioneered be pirated away by the leeches of Silicon Valley.

First, the hardware. Apple knows they cannot compete long term in a commodity hardware market. Not only are better music devices coming, but better integration of existing devices will occur in 2004. Think phones. There is a HUGE market for people looking to carry just one device. One device they must carry is a phone. A phone with 1GB or 2GB of memory could hold a decent amount of music and would be a heaven-sent device for these people. Apple has nothing to offer these people. And they never will (hardware-wise).

So what to do? What happens when a mondo-cool phone with a decent music player appears that has a decent interface into a decent music service? How will Apple compete with that? Answer: Apple must offer their DRM technology to other hardware manufacturers. Apples DRM must be on the latest and greatest gadgets out there. Note that the latest and greatest music players out there are all currently made by Apple. When that changes, expect Apples DRM model of iPods only to change too.

But why would another company, like Sony, put Apples DRM on their devices? Whats in it for them? And, especially, why PAY Apple a royalty fee (and Apple WILL be charging royalties) for this privilege? And, even if other companies did include Apples DRM, how then would iTMS make any money? It barely breaks even now. Apple only makes money because it helps them sell iPods. So what happens when the iPods are no longer supporting iTMS?

First, expect the iPods to continue to evolve. Expect that little portable HD to be put to a lot more use than simply playing music. Expect the iPod to turn into your LifePod. Lots of cool stuff surrounding this, but most of it will not come out until 2005.

But again, what happens when the iPods are no longer supporting iTMS?

OneMoreThing

This is where the reinvention of Apple Computer comes into its own. Apple Computer will become Apple, Inc. There will be two major divisions (initially): (1) Apple Computer, and (2) Apple Studios. Apple Studios will be a combination movie/music studio. This will happen with the purchase of (a) Pixar, and (b) Apple Records. You heard correctly. Apple Computer will announce that they have purchased both Pixar Animation Studios and Apple Records. Several things will come of this.

First, the entire collection of a certain musical group will become available exclusively on iTMS. This may not happen in right away, but the goal is by the end of 2004. These tracks have yet to be made available (legally) on any music service. And the only music service they will every see will be iTMS.

Second, Apple Records will become an active record label again and start signing other artists. Whats in it for the artists? A LOT better deal than with any other record label. Whats in it for Apple? Online exclusives and tracks that actually make them money. They will now get to keep most of that 99 cents rather than forking it over to the RIAA. If you want these tracks, you have to either buy the album or come over to iTMS. Either way, Apple makes money out of the deal.

This will all ensure that Apple continues to be a major force in this market. Apples DRM will be included because companies cannot afford to not include it. So even if someone buys a Sony MP3 player and never looks at iTMS, Apple will still be getting a little kickback through DRM licensing. And if they do use iTMS, all the better.

Its all about content and providing the ultimate user experience for that content. Whether general computing tasks, the internet, iTMS -> iPod -> iMac or Apple/Pixar -> Mac -> uber-Projector/set-top-box. Using one to sell the other. High-end, best-of-breed hardware for the ultimate computing/listening/viewing experience. 2004 will be a VERY good year for Apple. It will only be topped by whats in store for 2005.

And the beat goes on.
post #3 of 153
We'll see. Interesting to see that I got an error message concerning the AI database when I ran a search on posts by "Faeylyn"...
You mean you read this far?
You mean you read this far?
post #4 of 153
Could be plausable. Only thing I'm doubtful about is 1.8Ghz G4s in Powerbooks.
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
post #5 of 153
But what happened to the iCam?
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #6 of 153
Quote:
Originally posted by Faeylyn
Second, Apple Records will become an active record label again and start signing other artists. Whats in it for the artists? A LOT better deal than with any other record label. Whats in it for Apple? Online exclusives and tracks that actually make them money. They will now get to keep most of that 99 cents rather than forking it over to the RIAA. If you want these tracks, you have to either buy the album or come over to iTMS. Either way, Apple makes money out of the deal.

apple will contract every apple-customer automatically and will offer them to sell self-composed garage-band/logic-produced songs over the iTMS. the payment will take place over the .mac-service! profits 50:50 -> how 'bout that?
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
post #7 of 153
Quote:
Originally posted by murk

what iCam?
post #8 of 153
Quote:
Originally posted by murk

maybe it has come alive as the iSight!
post #9 of 153
question:

how large an image could one project in a footprint juuuuust larger then an iMac base?

that is, projector is just behind your keyboard, fold up screen is behind your iMac?

i'm trying to make sense of what a little bird told me.
meh
meh
post #10 of 153
Interesting stuff, though nobody has that much inside information unless they are marketing or product managers. Thanks for the good read though.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
post #11 of 153
Quote:
Originally posted by Harald
how large an image could one project in a footprint juuuuust larger then an iMac base?

that is, projector is just behind your keyboard, fold up screen is behind your iMac?

i'm trying to make sense of what a little bird told me.

Why would Apple make that format? Who would want it? A projector wouldn't take the place of anything Apple currently sells. There will still be a need for the current form factor and current monitors. Completely different product line (but with links to current products).
post #12 of 153
While I'm inclined to agree that this is ingenuine, I think this may really be right because the hardware aspect isn't as "slam-bang" as one would hope (that is, as zealots we always get our hopes up and have them deflated pretty quickly). This doesn't blow my mind really, so it probably could be true. Then again, Jobs and his magicians in Cupertino could really be stirring something up beyond this.

The Pixar deal...I don't know. It makes sense -- could provide rendering hardware in-house (the 8-way 3U XServes), and of course Jobs/the board would love to have a bigger piece of the action. Plus, there's the tumult with Pixar/Disney (see thread in AO - Pixar/disney, etc.)--could Apple with this new division essentially distribute films itself?
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
post #13 of 153
Perhaps kim kap sol can confirm......
post #14 of 153
Cute rumors you bring, Faeylyn. Of course, I don't trust anyone anymore so I don't expect any of this to happen. But it would be fun if it did.
post #15 of 153
post #16 of 153
Quote:
Originally posted by Faeylyn

OneMoreThing

This is where the reinvention of Apple Computer comes into its own. Apple Computer will become Apple, Inc. There will be two major divisions (initially): (1) Apple Computer, and (2) Apple Studios. Apple Studios will be a combination movie/music studio. This will happen with the purchase of (a) Pixar, and (b) Apple Records. You heard correctly. Apple Computer will announce that they have purchased both Pixar Animation Studios and Apple Records. Several things will come of this.

And the beat goes on.

Why do I feel like a frog, who's been thrown into a pot of way comfy luke-warm water/Apple Info, only to have the heat turned up slowly but steadily, so I wind up toasted by the end of the experience?

Dood...

If Apple buys Pixar and Apple records, and becomes a record company themselves, dontcha think they'll be considered in a HUGE conflict of interest with the other - by now - very skittish record companies they host?

Believe me, all Uncle Bill would have to do at that point is call up Sony, Polygram etc etc and say "See, told ya so, tell ya what, you use my WMF stuff, and MY DRM, and I swear I'll never compete with you - hell I don't need to, I already own the air you breathe anyway"...

Oh, 1.8Ghz G4?

Get your feet off my coffee table, and no, I'm not going to spend money to buy an ad in your year book - now scram ... oh, and empty your pockets on the way out!
In life, as in chess, the moves that hurt the most, are the ones you didn't see ...
In life, as in chess, the moves that hurt the most, are the ones you didn't see ...
post #17 of 153
Very interesting read.

None of it sounds implausible to me.

Pixar have broken free of Disney and can negotiate their own distribution deal. Jobs owns 55% of Pixar.

Apple Records doesn't do much. Apple buying them would be a better settlement than the Beatles sueing Apple for years in the courts.

An Apple Studios/Apple Records content leviathon would be an intriguing and powerful new beast/player in content.

Certainly, the idea of exclusive Beatles content to lock down the music player market would be a sure fire winner.

Pixar film content exclusive to an Apple movie download service via Pixlet in a couple of years time? On your projecting vPod?

Making the PowerMacs all dual. That would involve a price hike on the low end. But a dual 2 gig at a little over the 1.6 G5's price? A good deal.

Getting rid of the AIO aspect of the current iMac would be a welcome move. It's far too limiting. Nice, 'BUT'. A return to a 'cool' Cube form factor with single G5 and the redesigned eMac below that? I guess I'd settle for that for the time being. Apple effectively gets decent priced mini-towers. Making a nice switcher box that meets the markets 'sweet spot' $999 price point. (Remember what Fred Anderson said at the analyst roll call?)

Powerbook, I could believe a heavily ramped up IBM G4 for eMac and Powerbook in the absence of cool enough G5. A 1.8 G4 would be a good performer for a portable. Especially on a superior bus.

None of this sounds outlandish. Though reading between the lines...I'm a little concerned as to the timing of this. I would have expected a G5 product blitz in the first quarter. Bumped G5 towers and the 'new new iMac' in G5 ville. I would expect the revised eMac and Powerbook just in time for early 2nd quarter...well in time for the edu buying season. Not to mention the iBook as well.

But importantly to me, would be bumped G5 towers and a revised iMac first.

There's no doubt that if Apple wants to survive the constant errosion of its marketshare then radical moves are required. An even bolder consumer Mac strategy. More competitive pricing on the iMac and iBook. (Stronger 'tug' on the Wintel market...) And a move to utilise current assets that Jobs has such as Pixar and their new found strength in music. The Apple Studios/Records vision could make Apple a strong player with Apple Computers set to benefit...less dependent on hardware as revenues from content go through the roof.

Looking at this, I could well see a day Apple goes software only. Apple can then circle round to stare M$ right in the face. If Apple 'Inc' can make $200 million per quarter from non-hardware sales of content, services and taking bigger cuts of sales from the iTMS then 'X' could be ported to multiple platforms with the potential to make Apple even more revenue from Software available to 95% of the computing market.

Like the mystery poster above says, 2004 may lay the ground work for the real fireworks to fly in 2005.

True or false. I congratulate the mystery poster on a very intriguing post.

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #18 of 153
i dont think it would happen, but that would be awesome if apple comp bought apple music, cause then iTMS could have all Beatles songs exclusively! that would draw in tons of people...
post #19 of 153
Quote:
Originally posted by OverToasty
If Apple buys Pixar and Apple records, and becomes a record company themselves, dontcha think they'll be considered in a HUGE conflict of interest with the other - by now - very skittish record companies they host?

Not to mention that the only people with access to this kind of info would be high level Apple execs who are certainly not about to blow their stock portfolios leaking it on AI.
"Spec" is short for "specification" not "speculation".
post #20 of 153
What's with the delete function not working?
post #21 of 153
Quote:
Looking at this, I could well see a day Apple goes software only. Apple can then circle round to stare M$ right in the face. If Apple 'Inc' can make $200 million per quarter from non-hardware sales of content, services and taking bigger cuts of sales from the iTMS then 'X' could be ported to multiple platforms with the potential to make Apple even more revenue from Software available to 95% of the computing market.

Lemon Bon Bon [/B]

Apple would effectively lose its lustre as a company if they got rid of hardware from their product offering. I really believe that if Steve does indeed play his cards right, Apple could end up being one of the fastest growing companies within a short time period, ever. With so much to draw people in, with so much convenience, and problems solved-There would be no better choice financially, technologically, and mentally than chosing Apple to be your digital age provider.
post #22 of 153
Of all the information that I have seeen come my way over the 25 years of following technology, this just might take the cake on rationality. Not that I believe that all this might come true. An example would be the quad 3u XServe, that takes up more room than 3 1u XServe's and has less power. Now an 8-way 3u XServe would make sence if they could not make a 1u cluster node with 4 G5's in it. SMP is the way of the future on all levels of computing. Apple is going to be a huge player in the supercomputer arena for the foreseeable future. Now a PM that had quad processor's would be logical, if the chips are cheap enough, and Apple and IBM are working hard at this.

What I see in the opening two post is either the biggest leak of actual information out of Apple, or the most well thought out guess I have ever read.
post #23 of 153
Quote:
What I see in the opening two post is either the biggest leak of actual information out of Apple, or the most well thought out guess I have ever read.

No kidding.

Lemon Bon Bon
post #24 of 153
[list=1][*]I think all the hardware updates would be plausible/possible. I've thought for a while now that the G5 towers will go all dual.[*]No Apple computer will have more than two processors in one unit. That's the whole reason for developing the XServe Cluster Node system. If you need more processors, you just add them on. If an 8-processor XServe is in a lab somewhere, I don't think it'll ever see the light of day.[*]I think the assertions concerning the iTMS and iPod are WAY off base. If the other things come to pass, they will only be in ADDITION to the iPod/iTMS success.[*]Apple Computer buying Apple Records? Maybe, but I think it would be only to end any pending litigation and have exclusive rights to the Beatles on the iTMS. Apple knows they must keep the good faith they've established with the rest of the industry, and they won't jeopardize that.[*]Apple buying Pixar? I think it's plausible. Apple has shown that they can do a lot of cool stuff with advertising/marketing. I see Apple buying Pixar for the purpose of then joining up with a film distributor to keep Pixar's films going and Apple gets the profits from it.[/list=1]
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #25 of 153
Looks like the Pepsi and iPod mini products and promotions are going to tide us over the first week in February (that seems to be the focus at the moment...) with a Powermac announcement likely to follow in the week or so after.

Powermacs at upto dual 2.6 would be okay. But the hint above of much improved internals sounds nice. That keeps PowerMacs on the edge. Ati are due for a next gen' video card circa April? So it would be nice if the Rev B Powermacs coincided with a new Ati card. If PowerMacs don't come until March...then I wonder if there is an increasingly likelyhood of dual 3 gigs being launched? IF it's Feb and we only get 2.6 then I guess the 3 gigger will come by September?

For me, I'm quite excited by the idea of the iMac going 'Cube' form factor. Effectively making a two-tier tower line. I think that's a great idea if it comes to pass. Hopefully with upgradeable graphics card options. If it looks anything like as gorgeous as the original Cube then I'll find it hard to resist this time...

I wonder what Apple will do with the eMac design. Get cheaper if the 'new new iMac' reaches $999. But the design could do with shedding a few pounds and slimming down somewhat. An AIO 17/15 inch LCD design without the expensive chrome arm would be the way to go for me... There are rumours of the 17 inch LCD being dropped from Apple's line of monitors... eMac. It's not Ive's best work.

Lemon Bon Bon
post #26 of 153
Quote:
Apple buying Pixar? I think it's plausible. Apple has shown that they can do a lot of cool stuff with advertising/marketing. I see Apple buying Pixar for the purpose of then joining up with a film distributor to keep Pixar's films going and Apple gets the profits from it.

Apple's computers could get exclusive Pixar content/games etc that could drive sales.

Lemon Bon Bon
post #27 of 153
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
[list=1]
Apple buying Pixar? I think it's plausible. Apple has shown that they can do a lot of cool stuff with advertising/marketing. I see Apple buying Pixar for the purpose of then joining up with a film distributor to keep Pixar's films going and Apple gets the profits from it.[/list=1]

Well, I think this is almost obvious thing to happen. So obvious that there was already some speculation on this topic in Finland's main newspaper Helsingin sanomat (= sure sign something is "old news" :-).

---

I've seen so many posts/rumors about Apple's releases at 2004 that I'm almost sick of reading them (and of course I still have to read them... :-)), but this one REALLY blew my mind. Wow! If this is true, I really have to buy some Apple's shares -- if not, this is really great and wellthought fiction! Thank you!
post #28 of 153
There has been talk of Steve Jobs replacing Michael Eisner at Disney.
Plugging Disney into the Apple Computer/Pixar/Apple Records/IBM equation could make for interesting speculation.

With both Microsoft and Intel having significant technical problems with Longhorn/64bit migration/virii, there is an opportunity for Apple here.
Of course, given the lax oversight, Microsoft could launch a hostile take over of Apple, Pixar and Disney.
post #29 of 153
Quote:
Of course, given the lax oversight, Microsoft could launch a hostile take over of Apple, Pixar and Disney.

Hmm, I don't think so...wait...I think I hear the DOJ right outside...
post #30 of 153
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon
Looks like the Pepsi and iPod mini products and promotions are going to tide us over the first week in February (that seems to be the focus at the moment...) with a Powermac announcement likely to follow in the week or so after.

ahhhhh. it feels so good to have predicted that new 90nm XServe and PowerMacs will come in the second half of february - though no one wanted to believe me
post #31 of 153
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiahtosh
Hmm, I don't think so...wait...I think I hear the DOJ right outside...

What are they here for, to lick Bill's boots?
post #32 of 153
There is no NEED for Apple to Purchase Pixar, or Disney for that matter. They are entertainment companies, not computer/software/hardware companies (except for Pixar which makes software already available on Mac OS X). It will not happen. I guarantee 500 AI Credits on it.

This would be like McDonald's purchasing Aamco.
post #33 of 153
More like Texas Instruments buying a textbook company.
post #34 of 153
I wouldn't have considered the Pixar purchase to be anything but silly, wishful thinking until this Disney breakup. Seems MORE of a possibility now, but still not sure.

Most of the hardware predictions seemed very reasonable and not terribly shocking. The iPod/iTMS/DRM angle is probably right on the mark. This is why Apple is so aggresively trying to dominate this market right now...and also why they are NOT (and won't be) supporting WMA.

In general Apple IS trying to transform itself into a more diversified entity. This is a good thing. More consumer electronics seem likely to me than a venture into the media world (Pixar and Apple Corps.) Possible, but seems unlikely. This does sound somewhat reminicsent of the "Apples buys Universal Music" rumors about a year ago.
post #35 of 153
Well, Krassy, if you said mid to late Feb' and it comes true..? Feather in yer cap.

Personally, I'm surprised it will have taken that long to roll out 2004 Macs.

Heh. I was expecting the whole line up to be updated by late Jan'.

Guess I was overly optimistic...

Lemon Bon Bon

I suppose if X-Serves aren't shipping to early Feb' then I guess it comes as no surprise that PowerMacs will wait until around then. Give or take.
post #36 of 153
I read this last night before heading to bed and didnt want to say anything. Now that other have, I will too!

This is either a good fabrication or the truth I can see some of this coming to frutation, but not all of it. Who knows what will happen though? No one here, that is for sure
Come checkout SetiLogger X
Dual 3Ghz G5 coming soon!!!
Come checkout SetiLogger X
Dual 3Ghz G5 coming soon!!!
post #37 of 153
This seems way to "just made up for me" First of all, 1.6, or 1.8 G4s? Come on. We all know the G4 is dead. Unless, the IBM G3 with altivec is the 1.6 G4 you're talking about, this will NOT happen. Is there some magic that happened when Motorola spun of the semiconductor unit, that made it possible to not only make a 1.6 or 1.6 G4, but make them in sufficient quanity? No there isn't. Mot. spun off the semiconductor unit, and the mot G4 will die soon.

Quad Xserves? 8 processors? You're kidding right? This has been wished for, for a long long time and has always been "rumored". Now, if they are "in the lab" then I do believe with your sentiment that they won't be released.

EDIT: I would expect that with everything involved in a 4 or 8 processor Xserve, it would be cheaper to manufacture and sell 2 or 4 dual processor Xserves, thus making money for apple. I do not see 4 or 8 processor Xserves. Xserves are 1u and that's they way they will stay.

The new new iMac. Sounds just like a cube! yes, the same cube that several of us have been wanting for a long time. yes a cube with a 17" widescreen display. Just what I've wanted for a long long time.

This just seems like dreaming to me.
post #38 of 153
Hrmm....
Quote:
Originally posted by Faeylyn on 10-07-2002 03:43 AM
Apple's rumor squashing department is in high gear, it seems. I'm surprised they've been able to keep so many secrets. They really do have some mucho cool stuff in the works.

But there will always be ways to get people to talk. Everybody has a price.

iCam? Yes, Apple will be coming out with an "iCam", in spite of what many of "experts" claim. No, it won't be called iCam. And the 20GB Toshiba drive, while certainly very nice, won't be the killer feature. The one feature I'm willing to share is this:

http://www.foveon.com/

<snip>

After the initial introduction, nothing. That's because Apple pounced on this technology faster than Rosie on an unguarded donut.

And I'm hear Steve thinks it would be nice for Apple's bottom-line if this came out in time for the Christmas buying season.

Check out the entire thread.

So, how much did you pay for that sweet little tidbit
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #39 of 153
Quote:
Well, Krassy, if you said mid to late Feb' and it comes true..? Feather in yer cap.

thank ya :-) i think it will come true...

Quote:
I suppose if X-Serves aren't shipping to early Feb' then I guess it comes as no surprise that PowerMacs will wait until around then. Give or take.

i think they won't ship in the first two weeks of february. the shipping timeframes on new XServes immediately after the macworld shows 6-8 weeks -> end of february.
post #40 of 153
Quote:
Originally posted by mattyj
Could be plausable. Only thing I'm doubtful about is 1.8Ghz G4s in Powerbooks.

We dont know what IBM has in their labs. All we know is that they have done a LOT better work than Moto bringing out faster CPU's, so why not?
Quote:
Originally posted by Krassy
apple will contract every apple-customer automatically and will offer them to sell self-composed garage-band/logic-produced songs over the iTMS. the payment will take place over the .mac-service! profits 50:50 -> how 'bout that?

Hehe... Actually a great idea!
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiahtosh
Interesting stuff, though nobody has that much inside information unless they are marketing or product managers. Thanks for the good read though.

Well.. For one, I think some of it are true, the rest are just wishes.
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown
Not to mention that the only people with access to this kind of info would be high level Apple execs who are certainly not about to blow their stock portfolios leaking it on AI.

Well.... Most people should be smart enough not to believe in rumor sites, and a little rumor monging should'nt blow the stock down in one shot..
Quote:
Originally posted by oldmacfan

As noted above, I only think some of it is true.
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The Reinvention of Apple Computer