or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Mass. Supreme Court says "No" to Civil Unions.

Mass. Supreme Court says "No" to Civil Unions. - Page 2

post #41 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
even though i dont agree with any of you, i respect your right to believe what you want to believe.

Yeah, yeah. I'm getting so sick of seeing that cut-n'-paste line in all of you WASP idiot's posts. Grow a friggin cerebelum for chrizzakes. Oh, wait, you can't. That would imply evolution.

*screams into pillow*
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #42 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
being gay is just a mental thing that people do to themselves because they want attention (oops... did i say that out loud?).
fire away.

Matthew Sheppard and others must have loved the attention.
post #43 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
Well, at least give the guy credit for not going in circles.

I´ll give him that.

Quote:
We need more people who agree to disagree.

I disagree

We need more discussions like this one. DIscussions where we hit the arguments hard on.

Lets try stir up more debate. Why are people straight or gay? The "right" thing to say is that thats the way people are and nothing can change that or that the genes deside that. I disagree. I believe its a social thing with a lot of factors with the genes playing a minor role. When newly born christians ex-gay people say that they suddenly realised that they weren´t gay afterall and had been living a lie that is probably true for them. Nobody is hardwired into being anything.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #44 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
We need more discussions like this one. DIscussions where we hit the arguments hard on.

Oh yeah, you mean like this:

Quote:
you WASP idiot's posts. Grow a friggin cerebelum for chrizzakes. Oh, wait, you can't. That would imply evolution.

or this:

Quote:
being gay is just a mental thing that people do to themselves because they want attention

post #45 of 298
Quote:
Nobody is hardwired into being anything.

I respectfully disagree.

I've a lot of gay friends, both male and female, and I can tell you truthfully that these people were gay since birth. Of course, given the society we live in, there was a bit more confusion than most adolescents usually are required to deal with, but they luckily found their way.

I have to wonder how many of my friends growing up never found their way. I grew up in a very strict and religious household, and even I was bi for a portion of my life. But I was eventually led by my *wiring* to prefer women over men.

However, I think I'm the exception to the rule. Most of my gay friends never thought about experimenting with the opposite sex, and most of my straight friends only thought about the opposite sex. I think 95% of people (gay/straight) just *know*, and the rest have to just figure it out.

Regardless, I do indeed think we are born...or 'hardwired' as you say...with our base sexuality. Straying from that is generally just experimentation in my book.
post #46 of 298
Quote:

Sorry BuonRotto, my blood just boiled and it got the best of me. My apologies.
post #47 of 298
Quote:
Lets try stir up more debate. Why are people straight or gay? The "right" thing to say is that thats the way people are and nothing can change that or that the genes deside that. I disagree. I believe its a social thing with a lot of factors with the genes playing a minor role. When newly born christians ex-gay people say that they suddenly realised that they weren´t gay afterall and had been living a lie that is probably true for them. Nobody is hardwired into being anything.

Social thing? Sure. I'm willing to bet that more people deny being gay or bisexual than those who mistakenly believe they are gay or bisexual. Yeah, it's a social thing.
post #48 of 298
Quote:

or this:

Okay. With "arguments" I meant "sitting ducks" and "hitting hard on" i meant "saying the obvious". But thats just me being biased.
post #49 of 298
I try to believe in free will, so while we might have inherent "hardwired" tendencies, being human is all about overcoming those limitations IMO. Being a slave to genetics and our precious bodily fluids qualifies humans as being alive, not being human. I think homosexuality is grossly oversimplified by both the genetic "switch" argument and the or the attention-seeker rationale.

Anyway, I suppose I should actually address the original point in the thread and say I too think this is a very good decision. Actually, I think the argument for the decision is excellent. It's why I was never a fan of the ERA and other derivatives of Jim Crow Laws, no matter how good the intentions.
post #50 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Social thing? Sure. I'm willing to bet that more people deny being gay or bisexual than those who mistakenly believe they are gay or bisexual. Yeah, it's a social thing.

What is that? Oh yeah I seem to remember someting from the 70s called "false consiousness".

People are what they believe they are. Anything else is patronising.
post #51 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
I respectfully disagree.

I've a lot of gay friends, both male and female, and I can tell you truthfully that these people were gay since birth. Of course, given the society we live in, there was a bit more confusion than most adolescents usually are required to deal with, but they luckily found their way.

And I know some who went the other way who I for sure can say was gay when they were and now isn´t. There is no essence.
post #52 of 298
I could no more choose to be straight, no matter how much I might want it (not that I do), than I could will my hair to start growing blond. Now, I could cover my black hair with blond dye and effectively, to all appearances, outwardly appear and seem to be a blond, but I would still have black hair, no matter how much I pretended to be blond.
post #53 of 298
Somebody did say to fire away.

Threads on gay marriage always tend to highlight the "Creation vs Evolution" argument or the "Can people be born gay" question.

I see the issue differently.

I think gay marriage is a dumb idea. I also think it's the clearest sign yet that those who've embraced the "alternate lifestyle" choices have run out of ideas.

For the last twenty or thirty years, gay rights advocates kept harping on how different they were from the heterosexual community. After decades of being "out" and failing to create any real social instituions of their own, we're now told that the legal definition of Marriage must be "expanded" to encompass gay relationships.

This from the same people who said in the 80's that the government had no business meddling in their lives. The same people who said they only wanted to the right to live their lives, and would never "force people who disagreed with their lifestyle to approve.'

The concept of Marriage doesn't seem to fit. The idea of two homosexuals getting married, moving to the 'burbs, spending 40 years in marriage and then retiring together is as much alien to that community as fundamentalist Christianity.

It's a weird caricature of society's idea of what heterosexuality is supposed to be like. It looks to me more like a pathetic cry for help. If homosexuality is really genetic and natural as its advocates say, surely their time is better spent building their own social institutions, rather than trying to lamely mirror what life is like for the other side.

Perhaps AIDS has altered the thinking here, but if the gay community is pinning their hopes on gay marriage to lower infection rates, I think they will be sorely disappointed.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #54 of 298
So your reasoning is that even if gay people WANT to get married... they should not be allowed to... because that's not what gay people do?

Your position is that if gay people want to become part of "moral" or "upstanding" society...they can't because they're gay and chose to be outsiders.

So they should just stay in the closet just to get along with the rest of us?
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President

John Kerry for President
post #55 of 298
Oh... and heterosexual people do a good job of mocking the institution of marriage all on their own.

How many times has Limbaugh been married?

John Kerry for President

John Kerry for President
post #56 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
I think gay marriage is a dumb idea.

If you think it's dumb, don't marry a man, Frank.

I think some of the posts made here are pretty dumb too, but I'm not looking to pass laws or amend constitutions to prevent dumb posts from getting through.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #57 of 298
i am seriously looking for a solid, logic-based argument opposing gay marriage. judging by this thread, such an argument does not exist, and as a person driven by logic, i support gay marriage.

and, uh, yeah. i'm still not sure if ipodandimac is serious or just trolling
post #58 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by progmac
i am seriously looking for a solid, logic-based argument opposing gay marriage. judging by this thread, such an argument does not exist, and as a person driven by logic, i support gay marriage.

and, uh, yeah. i'm still not sure if ipodandimac is serious or just trolling

I think he's pretty serious about trolling.
post #59 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by chu_bakka
So your reasoning is that even if gay people WANT to get married... they should not be allowed to... because that's not what gay people do?

Your position is that if gay people want to become part of "moral" or "upstanding" society...they can't because they're gay and chose to be outsiders.

So they should just stay in the closet just to get along with the rest of us?

So you're saying you can't be "moral" or "upstanding" without being married?

That's insane.
post #60 of 298
Trumpt's argument is all hell will break loose and people will start marrying moose or 8 year olds...

and the others just don't see the point because

either a. they can't have kids (forgetting adoption, insemination.. or surrogate parents)

or b. they're gay and why would gay people want what heteros want

did I miss something?

John Kerry for President

John Kerry for President
post #61 of 298
not at all...

but here you have people wanting to participate in one of societies traditions... one that some see as proof of morality or being upstanding... and SOME want to not let that happen.

Should they not be aloud to sing in the church choir too?

There's plenty of amoral sonsabitches out there that are married.

John Kerry for President

John Kerry for President
post #62 of 298
And, mind you, my post did not say they should be legally barred from being married.

I do think, however, the cry for it shows a desperation to conform to a kind of life that was specifically built to maintain values of monogamy and heterosexuality.
post #63 of 298
I frankly don't see a value in monogamy.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #64 of 298
who says heteros have the market cornered on monogamy?

If you love someone and want to spend your life with them, most see the obvious thing to do is get married.

John Kerry for President

John Kerry for President
post #65 of 298
hey BR... it keeps your gilfriend from hacking off your d!ck with a machete!

John Kerry for President

John Kerry for President
post #66 of 298
Quote:
And, mind you, my post did not say they should be legally barred from being married.

I do think, however, the cry for it shows a desperation to conform to a kind of life that was specifically built to maintain values of monogamy and heterosexuality.

there are two great reasons to get married:
1) testify to everyone, including yourself and your partner, that you are dedicated to and in love with one persor
2) you may not feel the need for a social recognition of your love, but you do want benefits of marriage, particularly access to your partner's insurance and of course the tax benefits.

1 OR 2 warrants justification for marriage and people falling in either should be able to marry if they would like to
post #67 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by chu_bakka
If you love someone and want to spend your life with them, most see the obvious thing to do is get married.

That's funny.

If this was a thread on Christians wanting more people to stop 'living in sin' and get married, I could see chu, BR and Shawn arguing about how that 'piece of paper' didn't really matter.
post #68 of 298
I think the cry for it has more to do with too many stories of people shut out of their partners death beds because they weren't family. I could prolly think of more examples, but remember this. Marriage as Howard Stern would say is a legal contract. A contract that gives its signers legal rights and obligations and in my opinion there is just no good reason to deny these rights to homosexual couples.
post #69 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by progmac
there are two great reasons to get married:
1) testify to everyone, including yourself and your partner, that you are dedicated to and in love with one persor
2) you may not feel the need for a social recognition of your love, but you do want benefits of marriage, particularly access to your partner's insurance and of course the tax benefits.

1 OR 2 warrants justification for marriage and people falling in either should be able to marry if they would like to

I think we can safely dispense with No. 2, all those benefits would be available under present law or the civil union proposal.

At least be honest enough to admit that is about getting society's blanket approval of same-sex relationships.
post #70 of 298
Geeze... this is about RIGHTS... not morality.

BUT there are those who argue that being gay is ammoral but here you have gay people wanting to get married... it turns THEIR world upsidedown... not mine.

John Kerry for President

John Kerry for President
post #71 of 298
Quote:
That's funny.

If this was a thread on Christians wanting more people to stop 'living in sin' and get married, I could see chu, BR and Shawn arguing about how that 'piece of paper' didn't really matter.

The two arguments are mutually exclusive. It is my opinion that a piece of paper doesn't matter, however, it is not within my rights to forbid any group of two or more consenting adults who disagree with my opinion to get that little official paper.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #72 of 298
Quote:
I think we can safely dispense with No. 2, all those benefits would be available under present law or the civil union proposal.

At least be honest enough to admit that is about getting society's blanket approval of same-sex relationships.

It's not about getting society's approval. It's about creating a society that promotes the live and let live concept.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #73 of 298
There is no reason for seperate but equal.

I haven't heard one yet.

John Kerry for President

John Kerry for President
post #74 of 298
Monogamy is not a uniquely heterosexual concept. Virtually every gay person I know, all in their 20s, are either in a monogamous relationship, or prefer to be. Which is not to say there aren't promiscuous gay people, there are tons of them. There are also tons of promiscuous straight people.

Frank's problem is that he's trying to lump all gays into one group. But that's a load of BS. Gays are as diverse a group as any other subset of society. It just so happens that a large number of gays are now both out of the closet, and very mainstream in their political, social and ethical views (whereas before, due to the societal situation, being out and thus a public activist for gay rights was mostly a phenomenon of the leftmost fringe of the gay community).

Frank talks about gays moving to the suburbs. Sorry, dear, but we're already there. We're also in the churches, teaching at schools, practicing medicine, you name it. Gay life is as varied and broad as straight life.

And it is these mainstream gays, these gays like me who you would never think were gay unless you saw the little yellow-equal-sign-on-a-blue-background sticker on the back of their car, who want marriage. Because we are already part of the culture of mainstream America, and part of that culture is marriage. So we want full access to all the aspects of the culture we are part of the culture we help fund and support and create with our tax dollars, efforts, work, sweat and tears, just like all the straight people who are also part of mainstream American life.

The gay people that Frank wants to lump all gays in with the ones for whom mainstreaming would be considered a "betrayal" _are but a small subset of modern homosexual culture. They paved the way for the rest of us to come out, but we don't live, act or think like them. So don't treat us as if we're all of one mind.

Nowadays, there are a lot more Ted Scmidts in gay America than there are Brian Kinneys.
post #75 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by BR
It's not about getting society's approval. It's about creating a society that promotes the live and let live concept.

Pluralism

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #76 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by BR

So, regarding that concept, should the argument be made (as we all know it will) would you agree with re-defining marriage to include other kinds of relationships, polygamy, between family members etc.

After all, those would be among consenting adults as well.
post #77 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship
Pluralism

Fellows

Indeed.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #78 of 298
Quote:
So, regarding that concept, should the argument be made (as we all know it will) would you agree with re-defining marriage to include other kinds of relationships, polygamy, between family members etc.

After all, those would be among consenting adults as well.

I am in favor of polygamy. I actually believe that such an arrangement is superior to traditional marriage. As far as family members getting it on, the possibility of having a genetically messed up kid must be weighed against the individual freedoms of consenting adults. I don't have enough information to make a judgment regarding incest.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #79 of 298
Quote:
Originally posted by BR
The two arguments are mutually exclusive. It is my opinion that a piece of paper doesn't matter, however, it is not within my rights to forbid any group of two or more consenting adults who disagree with my opinion to get that little official paper.

You will notice that all my posts have referenced my belief that gay marriage a terribly bad idea. My opinion.

I have not called for anyone to be barred from city hall.
post #80 of 298
... Laws were made by our predecessors who apparently had a stronger belief in religion than we do.

I don't agree with people putting the blame on nature or God for their sexual preferences. As humans, we are supposed to have control over our emotions and actions. As social beings, we do adhere to a common code which is acceptable by many living in our society. There is no such thing as true freedom. If I was into screwing animals, can I ask for civil rights after marrying an animal? Why am I not entitled to my preferences in that case?

We need to come up with genetic engineering to weed out all sexual urge in human beings and get it over with. Reproduction should be a yearly thing like in the case of other mammals. We could be using our brains for something useful in that case instead of wasting our prime trying to get laid.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Mass. Supreme Court says "No" to Civil Unions.