or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › New wave of bad ads

New wave of bad ads - Page 2

post #41 of 103
It's on every page now, even while I type this and the time i replied to the thread about this in General Discussion. It's annoying. There is no way this will bring any kind of profit so take it down...

pretty please?

post #42 of 103
Here's what she looks like. Bitch.:

Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #43 of 103
Hi there, my name is Tina.

Haven't we met before, Tina? Why don't you shut the hell up. My computer doesn't need your stupid scamware.

AGH

post #44 of 103
as much as i hate the ad, i MUST steal that "follow cursor with eyes and rotate head correctly" physics they have going there.

what a horrid misuse of cool technology.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #45 of 103
I've dispatched a message to the supreme overlords. It should be taken care of soon.
post #46 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
"horrid misuse of cool technology."

Hey rok, can I use that quote in my sig?
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #47 of 103
thank god...i just thought it was the voices in my head...of course it was pleasant not to have the voices yelling at me to kill kill kill

still

hello, my name is
hello, my name is
hello, my name is
tina shady

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #48 of 103
How much for AI to run without ads? I'd shell out $5 a month. Any takers?
post #49 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by Ebby
Hey rok, can I use that quote in my sig?

go for it. it's WIDELY applicable these days.

post #50 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by torifile
How much for AI to run without ads? I'd shell out $5 a month. Any takers?

We already proposed this to the supreme overlords, because we have the means to do this today. Supreme Overlords determined AI will never run ad free.
post #51 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCash
We already proposed this to the supreme overlords, because we have the means to do this today. Supreme Overlords determined AI will never run ad free.

Shit, let's go elsewhere then. If we can afford to be independent, why don't we do it?
post #52 of 103
seriously tina has to go or i won't come as often.. cuz its really really getting it on my nerves..
_ _____________________ _
1ghz Powerbook SuperDrive yippeeee!!!!
post #53 of 103
Quote:
Shit, let's go elsewhere then. If we can afford to be independent, why don't we do it?

That is an interesting idea, and I've often wondered why more forum users in general haven't done so.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #54 of 103
I'd do her.

Hey, you know what? $5 says this becomes added to the AI lore, along with that stupid cat/watermelon business and all the other AI-specific inside jokes, comments, catchphrases ("CONFIRMED!!!"), etc.

In other words, a few months from now, calling someone a "Tina" will be the ULTIMATE insult.

Or "man, my G5 just pulled a Tina...".

Just wait...

(I get credit for calling it)

But on a serious note...WFT?!?!

Why is it that every two weeks, there is yet another round of shitty, annoying ads...each one more shitty and annoying than the one before it?

Has AppleInsider simply been designated a testing ground for new shitty and annoying web-based advertising? If I'm not having an epileptic seizure by some blinking idiocy, I get Tina here promising me stuff.

Now I can't listen to iTunes while surfing AppleInsider.

Good one.
post #55 of 103
I don't know guys, I'm kinda having fun trying to introduce myself to her before she starts talking, that way I can ask her what her name is. Man does it ever feel good to have a little interaction with one of 'them' again. She ain't too bad looking either.

Ok, seriously, I was having a little fun with it the first, say, three times. Talking back to her, taunting her, etc. But that got old quickly. As it is now, every time she starts talking I have a hand on each side of the monitor with my face pressed against it screaming "Shut the hell up you ungrateful little whore! Why don't you just die you c**t?!?"

Ok, not really, I have an LCD screen, I can't really grip it like that.
post #56 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
In other words, a few months from now, calling someone a "Tina" will be the ULTIMATE insult.

Or "man, my G5 just pulled a Tina...".

Just wait...

(I get credit for calling it)

It's more like: "That user/troll was such a Tina. He needs to STFU."

j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #57 of 103
how did you find that URL for the flash banner? every time i see an add, i try to kill it, but i cant seem to get the url for the flash ones. my source page dosent seem to list it:/
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
post #58 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by Ganondorf

WTF?!?!?!

What's even more odd is that I get to hear Tina while seeing Microsoft's cutesy ad for Virtual PC. I have never seen the lady pictured in the banner above, I'm only hearing her on every friggin page of AI.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #59 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by Escher
WTF?!?!?!

What's even more odd is that I get to hear Tina while seeing Microsoft's cutesy ad for Virtual PC. I have never seen the lady pictured in the banner above, I'm only hearing her on every friggin page of AI.

Escher

she's at the bottom of the page.
post #60 of 103
Incoming message from high command:

Just blocked that ad; should be active within an hour.
post #61 of 103
she'd be good to go with a little funky cool madina.
post #62 of 103
24 hours ago, the statement, "...more annoying than Tina on every page," wouldn't have meant anything. I think we SHOULD use it as an insult.
post #63 of 103
It's still here, and I can honestly say that I wish Tina and whoever created her was dead.
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
post #64 of 103
You guys could save yourselves a lot of trouble and create a hosts file that would take care of this. I literally haven't seen this ad once -- that's why I asked for someone to send me a copy.

Just do a search on the forums "hosts" or "/etc/hosts" posted by "Brad".

Edit: ah, forget it. Here it is:

Using /etc/hosts to block ads
post #65 of 103
Quote:

The supreme overlords won't release the domain appleinsider.com... even for money.

I personally use PithHelmet and Safari. Never see any ads... nor do I hear voices.
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #66 of 103
I'm going to hear that in my sleep. I forgot about it for like 5 minutes and I opened like 6 threads in all different windows, man was cycling through that a horrible horrible idea.
post #67 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by bauman
The supreme overlords won't release the domain appleinsider.com... even for money.

I personally use PithHelmet and Safari. Never see any ads... nor do I hear voices.

I do to and I didn't know what anyone was talking about for a while. But when I use OW for a while, I have to see the damn ads.

And screw appleinsider.com if they're going to be pricks about it. It's the community that makes the forum, not the domain name.
post #68 of 103
Quote:
And screw appleinsider.com if they're going to be pricks about it. It's the community that makes the forum, not the domain name.

And besides, the ads on the forums can't generate much revenue for them.

That's why I have no qualms about explaining to people how to block the ads here.
post #69 of 103
Edit: taken down so supreme overlords don't know our master plan
post #70 of 103
Garrrrrrr!!!!

I spent two minutes looking for Tina....a lot of talking to the computer.

Screaming actually.
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #71 of 103
Wouldn't it be fairly easy to configure AI so that we would have the *option* to pay a subscription to have this place ad-free? I'd pay for it.
post #72 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
Wouldn't it be fairly easy to configure AI so that we would have the *option* to pay a subscription to have this place ad-free? I'd pay for it.

Nope.

Folks, this is a dead-end discussion. The owners of AppleInsider have flatly stated that there will be no ad-free option.

So, your options are either to put up with them, block them, or go somewhere else. I don't like that any more than you do, but it's just the way it is. \
post #73 of 103
one thing not that all the advertising here sucks, I've recently bought a hard drive through the cdw warehouse ad, and awhile back you had an ATT wireless banner and I signed up for cell phone service so... more of those and great. I wish your adserver wouldn't allow audible web banners tho, like so many other services on the web out there.
post #74 of 103
Just curious, is Tina still around?

I blocked her helpful ass, so I wouldn't know...

(Can I say "ass"? If not I apologize.)
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #75 of 103
She's gone, but I don't doubt that we'll be seeing "Amy" popping up soon to show us how to speed up our computers.
post #76 of 103
so do the overlords actually have a "no blinking, no audio" ad policy,
or are we inevitably due for another annoying onslaught and forced to report each offender?
(presuming they're not all from a single adserver we could reliably avoid with /etc/hosts edits)

I thought I read comments during the last wave of bad ads that some sort of policy existed,
followed by post to the effect of "at least we're not getting audio"... jinx.

At least Pith Helmet gets updated almost as soon as Safari does.

But there have been times I've wished for right-click options that included:
"Reply with Virus", "Crash adserver", or just plain "STFU"...

and I do still know people who reply to fax spam with looped black paper to overload the offender
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #77 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
...and I do still know people who reply to fax spam with looped black paper to overload the offender

Oh that is so MEAN! I gotta try that some time.
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #78 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
so do the overlords actually have a "no blinking, no audio" ad policy,
or are we inevitably due for another annoying onslaught and forced to report each offender?

The supreme overlords don't have any sort of policy at all, from what I can tell. They only block ads once we (either I or Amorph) send an official complaint to them.

So, yes, you can expect lots of future annoyances from our ad providers. Peachy.
post #79 of 103
It's just one more way of saying, "We love you guys, thanks for reading AI. Now bend over so we can "service" you..."
post #80 of 103
This new ad flashes non-stop! Talk about inflaming epileptic issues, ouch.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › New wave of bad ads