or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Over one thousand married queers in San Fran....

Over one thousand married queers in San Fran.... - Page 4  

post #121 of 160
ok, i haven't read all three pages, but i throw my thoughts in (you are welcome to ignore or discount them as you see fit)...

first the background...white male, married 19 years in june, i have no homosexuals in my family but i do have many homosexual friends that i love dearly...they are warm and kind and gentle and loving people (which are terms i would also use to describe my many heterosexual friends also)...so i wish nothing but good things for them and to be treated in kind and gentle and loving and fair minded ways...i wish them anything they want...

but i am also 42 years old and i thought i would never see civil unions allowed, so i was thinking, "dang, that is great, they can have civil unions, they can have them in church and they can tell everyone they are married...in a few years nobody will be able to tell the difference between marriage and civil unions and that will be great"

but the more i thought about it the more i don't agree...i can't see where "separate but equal" is doable...and i can't see why we need two laws to perform the same function...

so perhaps someone can help me understand "separate but equal"...do we have that anywhere today in society?? have we ever had that anywhere in history??

untill someone can explain it to me better i would have to say that i can not as an american except "separate but equal"

so please send me the examples, because i can't think of any...

g

the closest i can get is rosa parks and the bus...but that wasn't equal...whites could go to the back if they wanted...and it wouldn't be equal if the front seats were better maintained etc

men's bathrooms and women's bathrooms don't work...they are separate but different....i can't go into a woman's room and use the urinal, a woman can't go into a men's room and use the tampon machine, etc
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #122 of 160
In a real sense "seperate but equal"
is just a way of saying "gay marriage" as opposed to "hetero-marriage"
and refusing to allow people to simply say "Marriage"

some how it is like saying "Gay Love" as opposed to "Straight love" . . . simply so that you can claim superiority or correctness if you are the latter . . .
But Love is love

(sex is not love though it sure is great when it is SexLove . . . and the love of sex is good too)
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #123 of 160
Well, there were the drinking fountains. Now, I'm sure that the drinking fountains for whites were cleaned more often than the ones for blacks. But there were probably some that were basically the same. From pictures I've seen it looks like they were right next to each other. It was just a division based entirely on race, but there was little or no difference in quality.

Making gays accept "Marriage For Gays" aka Civil Unions is a case of separate but equal treatment if ever there was one.
post #124 of 160
nice article here (from utah! of all places)

the linky

coming up on 3000 couples...impressive

g
post #125 of 160
Good article.

Here is the sentence conservatives need to understand:
The same-sex marriage movement is rolling. It will not be stopped.

Let it go, Religious Right, let it go. You lost it. Just like you lost the battle of interracial marriage, you are losing this one. It is over. Let it go. Move on.

For all the bluster about the "Christian foundations" of America (total bullshit) when the rubber hits the road this country is about freedom, not Jesus.
proud resident of a failed state
post #126 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
Good article.

Here is the sentence conservatives need to understand:
The same-sex marriage movement is rolling. It will not be stopped.

Let it go, Religious Right, let it go. You lost it. Just like you lost the battle of interracial marriage, you are losing this one. It is over. Let it go. Move on.

For all the bluster about the "Christian foundations" of America (total bullshit) when the rubber hits the road this country is about freedom, not Jesus.

Grove, your bigotry gets tiring. I suppose Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. wasn't "religious" at all. Nor did he ever evoke Jesus in his teaching or his reasoning.

Religion in many ways is the foundation of civil rights. Who has rights if we are all just worm food fighting to see who gets to decompose last.

Oh and before we start complaining that King as a Democrat, let us remember all the religious imagery and invocations of Lincoln, the original Republican as well.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #127 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Grove, your bigotry gets tiring. I suppose Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. wasn't "religious" at all. Nor did he ever evoke Jesus in his teaching or his reasoning.

Religion in many ways is the foundation of civil rights. Who has rights if we are all just worm food fighting to see who gets to decompose last.

Oh and before we start complaining that King as a Democrat, let us remember all the religious imagery and invocations of Lincoln, the original Republican as well.

Nick

Yes, Martin Luther King was religious. That the civil rights activist Dr Martin Luther King was a Christian is incontestable. I've seen him on the TV. And yes, I saw him talk about Jesus.

And I still don't understand how you intended your post to be a reply to Groverat's (apart from the 'religion in many ways...' bit which actually has some merit but is still irrelevant to the matter at hand, which is the intolerance of Christian fundamentalists.)

And I also love the way you that you accuse the man railing against intolerance of being a bigot. It's been days since I've seen you pull 'I know you are but what am I?'. Classic stuff, Nick. Keep it up.
post #128 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
Yes, Martin Luther King was religious. That the civil rights activist Dr Martin Luther King was a Christian is incontestable. I've seen him on the TV. And yes, I saw him talk about Jesus.

And I still don't understand how you intended your post to be a reply to Groverat's (apart from the 'religion in many ways...' bit which actually has some merit but is still irrelevant to the matter at hand, which is the intolerance of Christian fundamentalists.)

And I also love the way you that you accuse the man railing against intolerance of being a bigot. It's been days since I've seen you pull 'I know you are but what am I?'. Classic stuff, Nick. Keep it up.

It is terrible that you judge so quickly yet, complain openly that you don't understand my reply. Perhaps you should only judge that which you understand.

Grove and many others here are bigots. They are intolerant of those who either are religious, or have religious views different from their own. They don't discuss the differences. They broadly paint them in hateful terms that alienate more than they seek to understand. If you can't understand that and thus find it humorous, that is your own limitation.

Nick

post #129 of 160
Quote:
It is terrible that you judge so quickly yet, complain openly that you don't understand my reply. Perhaps you should only judge that which you understand.

Grove and many others here are bigots. They are intolerant of those who either are religious, or have religious views different from their own. They don't discuss the differences. They broadly paint them in hateful terms that alienate more than they seek to understand. If you can't understand that and thus find it humorous, that is your own limitation.

Nick

Martin Luther King probably had different ideas than your own . . . he wrote his PHD Dis on Keirkegaard
Keirkegaard wrote a great book called Attack Upon Christendom
Kierkegaard was a Christian but he mocked Christianity as practiced institutionally
I wonder if he were to post here if you would call him a bigot?
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #130 of 160
Quote:
Grove and many others here are bigots. They are intolerant of those who either are religious, or have religious views different from their own.

But Groverat isn't a bigot. He objects to intolerant religious people, yes, but I"ve never seen him rail against Christians per se, or against followers of any other religion.

On the contrary, I remember him defending the Qu'ran over a ten-page, two-man thread where a right wing Christian fundamentalist, Noah J, was arguing that Islam was 'evil' and the Qu'ran was an 'evil' book, a thread that earned him my everlasting respect. This isn't the behaviour of a bigot.

The intolerant poster in that thread, as in this, happens to be a Christian.
post #131 of 160
(Can we get this thread back on topic? Apologies.)
post #132 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
Martin Luther King probably had different ideas than your own . . . he wrote his PHD Dis on Keirkegaard
Kierkegaard was a Christian but he mocked Christianity as practiced institutionally

Would I call Martin Luther King a bigot? I think that is quite a logical leap. I've in no way claimed that someone cannot criticize an institution, be it religious or otherwise. I've called those who use phrases like Christian, Religious Right, etc and associate them with negative actions like exclusively opposing interacial marriage when that is far from true. The right was founded and came to power in part because of a split in the Democrats regarding slavery and ending it. There is a long history of religious individuals on both the right and left working for civil rights. Disagreeing on what the definition of marriage does not mean someone should go and start associating hate/racism exclusively with one group. That is what Grove did.

I suppose I should just start claiming that the MAJORITY of Democrats who oppose homosexual unions being called marriage, including John Kerry just want to take us back to the days of George Wallace and should be wearing hoods while burning crosses.

Grove objected when Texans were painted broadly, I objected when religious folks are painted broadly as well.

Nick

post #133 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
But Groverat isn't a bigot. He objects to intolerant religious people, yes, but I"ve never seen him rail against Christians per se, or against followers of any other religion.

On the contrary, I remember him defending the Qu'ran over a ten-page, two-man thread where a right wing Christian fundamentalist, Noah J, was arguing that Islam was 'evil' and the Qu'ran was an 'evil' book, a thread that earned him my everlasting respect. This isn't the behaviour of a bigot.

The intolerant poster in that thread, as in this, happens to be a Christian.

Listen here Mr Judgemental. I assure you that there are areas of social policy where my circle of tolerance is larger than yours. There are areas where we are all less tolerant than others. That is the nature of ideas and discussion. When you give up on the ideas and just start calling people names, or associating them exclusively with hate when it is not so, I call that bigotry.

Nick

post #134 of 160
Test test testy.

Bottom line is that there is no bigger issue for conservatives than the constitutional ammendment to discriminate against a minority group in this country. Karl Rove has assured the Republican base that the president will soon reveal his plans to support the discrimination ammendment. Not only does the president want to put a halt to gay marriage, but he also intends to put a stop to civil unions as well.

Many conservatives argue that the majority of American's do not support gay marriage (though many do support civil unions). However, I propose this:

Fill in the blank.

In 1958, nine years before the Court ruled in Loving v. Virginia that miscegenation laws were unconstitutional, Gallup polled people about interracial marriages.

_____% of Whites opposed them.

No cheating.

...and the winner is... 94%! (it's also frequently reported as 96%. I think 94% is the right number).

It isn't clear if this is just personal disapproval or support for legal restrictions. I believe Atrios put it in correct perspective though.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #135 of 160
Quote:
Would I call Martin Luther King a bigot? I think that is quite a logical leap. I've in no way claimed that someone cannot criticize an institution, be it religious or otherwise. I[ . . .EXCISED blah blah . . . ]
Nick

Let's follow my paragraph:
MLK wrote of K. end of MLK
K wrote etc
K thought etc but he was an etc and etc
I wonder if (______fill in the blank most likely being referred to left by the missing he) were to post here etc

I wouldn't bother if this weren't such a prime example of your ability to misread the obviouse, but it does seem pretty clear that the he being referred to is K . . .
It is you who, in the simple act of reading comprehension, make "leaps of logic"
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #136 of 160
That's It - I'm Getting Divorced

These people have just ruined my marriage.

From Atrios.
post #137 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat

I wasn't aware that Christians fought a battle over interracial marriage. Care to say when?

I am aware that many misguided people didn't like the idea. Some of those were Christians, and would naturally scour the Good Book for passages that supported that view. Others backed up their beliefs from whatever worldview they happened to hold.

Anything they tried to quote from the Bible was always very weak theologically.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #138 of 160
look at how happy these people are...

http://ephemera.org/sets/?album=justlymarried&img=3

how can this be wrong? why would anyone want to stop this?

oh I know why...

they don't like gay people.
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President
post #139 of 160
trumptman,

I may have missed it, but I don't think you've addressed the issue of separate but equal. I would like to know your opinion since we've had discussions across many threads and you're one of if not the strongest voice against gay marriage.

Obviously we disagree, but I would think that we both agree in principle that 'separate but equal' is not good enough for the United States. We have a higher standard that the country is held to (the Constitution.)

I guess my question is in several parts.

1) don't you agree that the country shouldn't support 'separate but equal'?
2) doesn't the marriage/civil union issue fall within the bounds of 'separate but equal'? <-- I'm open to interpretation on this one.
2a) if it is 'separate but equal' how can you support it?
2b) if it isn't 'separate but equal' I'll reevaluate.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #140 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
I wasn't aware that Christians fought a battle over interracial marriage. Care to say when?

Remember Bob Jones University, and the criticism it received when Bush gave a talk there? Part of it was because they didn't think banning interracial marriage went far enough, they had a ban on interracial dating. After all the controversy over Bush, they dropped the ban. That was just a few years ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/03/04/bob.jones/

Quote:
"We're being defined as a racist school. That's all the media is talking about," he said, adding that "we don't hate Catholics, we love Catholics."

Jones said the university first implemented the dating ban more than five decades ago, "because we were trying ... to enforce something, a principle, that is much greater than this. We stand against the one world government, against the coming world of the antichrist."

"The principle upon which it was based is very important, but the rule is not. So we did away with it," he said.

"We realize that an interracial marriage is not going to bring in the world of antichrist by any means."

So interracial marriage is NOT going to bring the antichrist. Whew.
post #141 of 160
Since when did "Religious Right" = "Christians"?
Since when was MLK a part of the "Religious Right"?
post #142 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Remember Bob Jones University, and the criticism it received when Bush gave a talk there? Part of it was because they didn't think banning interracial marriage went far enough, they had a ban on interracial dating. After all the controversy over Bush, they dropped the ban. That was just a few years ago.

I knew sombody who's sister went to Bob Jones U for a while back in the 80s
She went jogging at the track and jogged along with *Ghasp!!* a black man
She was ostracized and felt seriouse negative feelings aimed at her . . .
SHe went there as a Christian but left there because they snubbed her for jogging interracially!!!
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #143 of 160
Step 1: Interracial jogging.
Step 2: ...
Step 3: Armageddon.
post #144 of 160
Click this link. Be amused.
post #145 of 160
Quote:
Click this link. Be amused.

the ending is very funny
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #146 of 160
Quote:
Let's follow my paragraph:
MLK wrote of K. end of MLK
K wrote etc
K thought etc but he was an etc and etc
I wonder if (______fill in the blank most likely being referred to left by the missing he) were to post here etc

I wouldn't bother if this weren't such a prime example of your ability to misread the obviouse, but it does seem pretty clear that the he being referred to is K . . .
It is you who, in the simple act of reading comprehension, make "leaps of logic"

Actually I don't enjoy criticizing people's writing but since you are being a bit rude about this, I'll go ahead.

Here is what you wrote.

Quote:

Now, you claim that it is clear, but in reality it isn't because of this little thing I like to call, punctuation. You have the trailing off periods which at best I would consider to be a bit of a pause, like a comma. Other than that it is just sort of one long run-on sentence.

Now let's move on a bit more. Your topic sentence of your "paragraph" is about Martin Luther King. In the last "sentence" you don't use any sort of regular noun before using a pronoun. In this instance I attributed the pronoun to the topic of the paragraph, MLK.

Now we could of course go further and ask that if you really wanted to speak about Keirkegaard, why would you even mention MLK? I mean it sort of clutters up the the writing there to have a sentence about him in the middle of the claimed paragraph about Kierkegaard. Why include him? Why to commit a logical fallacy of course!

Affirming the Consequent, if A is B than B must be A.

If King is racially tolerant and writes of Kierkegaard who criticized the church. Then King must not mind criticism of the church and likewise Keirkegaard must be racially tolerant.

That would be all fine and well except for it is a logical fallacy. So I had to either assume your pronoun, meant MLK while working with a complete lack of punctuation, or I had to assume you were intentionally committing a logical fallacy.

I presumed the punctuation and not the fallacy.

However since you have corrected the meaning, I'll gladly assume the fallacy and treat it accordingly.

Nick

post #147 of 160
post #148 of 160
Your avoidance is horrible. Just answer the questions or admit that you're wrong.
post #149 of 160
Quote:
Nick

HAHA

nice try trumptman

it goes even further to elaborate the circuitous routes your 'thinking' takes
while still missing even the slightest, obviouse point

I would bother but what's the use . . . if you actually believe half of what you posted in that retort above then I simply have to pity you . . .
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #150 of 160
Quote:

Bob Jones University is your example of the "Religious Right" in North America? I've run in Christian circles all my life and don't even know who Bob Jones is/was.

There are an abundance of Christian groups publicly fighting the gay marriage issue. At least pick a well-known representative if you're going to denigrate an entire group.

As I said before, some Christians use the Bible to justify things they disagreed with. Non-Christians found other stupid reasons to disagree with interracial marriages.

But I'd still like to see proof that the Religious Right as a group fought interracial marriage the way that gay marriage is being contested.
post #151 of 160
I ask one question of people from the religious right: did Christ ever condemn homosexuality in his message of peace and love even once?

And I get no answer. They call themselves "Christains"...
post #152 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence
I ask one question of people from the religious right: did Christ ever condemn homosexuality in his message of peace and love even once?

And I get no answer. They call themselves "Christains"...

First of all, learn to spell "Christians" right before proceeding to ask stupid questions about the faith.

Secondly, Jesus wasn't looking to become the Israeli Minister of The Obvious.

He, along with everyone who heard him knew the Old Testament prohibitions against homosexuality, and if he disagreed, the onus would have been on him to state his objections. He didn't.

As a matter of fact, he mentions several times that he agreed with and confirmed the teachings of the Torah - including the commandments.
post #153 of 160
Quote:
HAHA

nice try trumptman

it goes even further to elaborate the circuitous routes your 'thinking' takes
while still missing even the slightest, obviouse point

I would bother but what's the use . . . if you actually believe half of what you posted in that retort above then I simply have to pity you . . .

You are very, very sad. You have gotten to where you won't even quote or address my writing. You are self-deluding.

Any second grader knows how to write a paragraph. Don't complain to me when you don't. Additionally, you've NEVER addressed the logical fallacy. You ask if I thought Keirkegaard bigoted. Why would I consider him bigoted in any regard? Why would you mention Martin Luther King in a paragraph about him, even begin the paragraph speaking about King except to commit the fallacy. You are welcome to show why King writing about him is relevent in ANY WAY. It isn't except to affirm the fallacy.

Nick

post #154 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Your avoidance is horrible. Just answer the questions or admit that you're wrong.

How is my avoidance horrible? I've likely posted more in this thread attempting to address the issue than anyone else. You ask one question and I haven't had time to post to it and now I am avoiding you? Pretend that even I only have 24 hours in the day.

You asked for a seperate but equal scenario. That one is pretty easy and I have supported making it equal and not seperate. The military, draft and combat roles.

Men have to register for the draft. Women do not. Courts have upheld that this is okay. Women have sued to get into the "glass ceiling" military jobs that they desire for advancement, like fighter pilots, but have been "kept from" and not sued to get into "glass celler" roles like attacking ground troops.

Men and women have very seperate but equal roles in the military. All barriers to upward mobility have been sued out of the way of women. However they do not have to commit to the most dangerous combat roles nor do they have to register for the draft under threat of federal prosecution.

I would post more, examples, but I'm sure you'll have fun ignoring this one, declaring that it really isn't true, etc.

Nick

post #155 of 160
Quote:

I'm sure this is about as relevent as speaking about the Nation of Islam as being the typical "black" church for the religious left.

Nick

post #156 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
Bob Jones University is your example of the "Religious Right" in North America? I've run in Christian circles all my life and don't even know who Bob Jones is/was...But I'd still like to see proof that the Religious Right as a group fought interracial marriage the way that gay marriage is being contested.

Isn't that a great way to think about the world?

I run the IT department here at initech, and I make sure everyone uses DOS. Every once in a while these young whippersnappers come up talking some graphical user interface mumbo-jumbo, but I remind them that I don't know anything about it, so it must not matter. Afterall, I know everything about this stuff and it is part of my social identity.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I support you. Afterall, we all know that Bob Jones is just a struggling school with no support or influence.
post #157 of 160
post #158 of 160
Quote:
You are very, very sad. You have gotten to where you won't even quote or address my writing. You are self-deluding.

Any second grader knows how to write a paragraph. Don't complain to me when you don't. Additionally, you've NEVER addressed the logical fallacy. You ask if I thought Keirkegaard bigoted. Why would I consider him bigoted in any regard? Why would you mention Martin Luther King in a paragraph about him, even begin the paragraph speaking about King except to commit the fallacy. You are welcome to show why King writing about him is relevent in ANY WAY. It isn't except to affirm the fallacy.

Nick

It truly is tiring deal with your incomporehension

You were calling people biggots for being critical of religion
then you followed that up with a tiring-whatever-you-want-to-call-it that dealt with MLK and religion and civil rights
So I joked about MLK being influenced by Kierkegaard
Kierkegaard, who wrote a book called Attack Upon Christiandom
and asked "I wonder if he (meaning Keirkegaard) posted here would you call him a biggot?"

Can't you see the chain of EXTREMELY SIMPLE LOGIC YOU FsCKING BUFFOON!!'
'
JEEUSO**()#$%&(*_$&%()_*#$^%

and get off this idiotic 'fallacy' bllsht! as if you know something about philosophical disputation

please ban me and save me from needing to respond to this moron!
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #159 of 160
and the thread gets locked

g
post #160 of 160
Indeed. People, don't read and don't respond if you can't control yourself or handle the consequences. This thread has lived its awful life.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Over one thousand married queers in San Fran....