or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Over one thousand married queers in San Fran....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Over one thousand married queers in San Fran.... - Page 2  

post #41 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
There is no reason at all to have a carbon copy of marriage called "civil unions" that apply to homosexuals. There is no reason for it. It is illogical.

Not to mention it is improper discriminatory behavior on the government's part.

Marry me, groverat.

Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
And yet again conservatives back states' rights, but only when it is a means to reduce individual rights.

Marry me, BRussell.

Anyway, last week I saw a piece (ABC? CNN?) about how marriage has not been a set-in-granite legal institution. Among the variances, there was the whole Virginia eugenics movement that tried to prevent people with "undesirable traits" from marrying and interracial marriage et al.

The short of it is that Marriage being the union of any adult male with any adult female is actually the result of 200 years of progressive development.

Besides (troll bomb alert), "gay marriages" may decrease the high divorce rate that we heterosexuals are causing.

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #42 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by running with scissors
is it a states rights issue or is it a civil rights issue? and how exactly does this effect you one way or the other, trump? is the government suddenly taking something away from you?

Do I have to have a grievence myself in order to want our society to follow the rule of law instead of mob rule?

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #43 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
But the whole point of what they're doing is to challenge the law. They can't put it to the test unless people defy it. Perhaps the California Supreme Court, or even the US SC will overturn this law. Damn California Ballot measures.

And yet again conservatives back states' rights, but only when it is a means to reduce individual rights.

I didn't back state's rights. I have contended all along this will drive the issue to be federalize. I think anyone who claims this won't be federalized is being dishonest.

That being noted, I was pointing out the hypocrisy of those who declare that Massachusetts should be free to do what they want because of state's rights in one thread. While ignoring those very same rights in another thread. California has passed a law granting full domestic partnership registration and rights. We have also passed a law declaring marriage to be between a man and a woman. I find it humorous that those who are defending states rights don't care to defend them here.

I pointed out your catch 22 in another thread, and you rightly conceded that it was your own bias showing. Others should be so honest when admitting they only support federalizing or states rights on an issue by issue basis.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #44 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by DMBand0026


I still can't agree with gay marriage. It's just not right. I don't like to see this happening.

[EDIT: removal of tobbacco chewin sounds, but continuation of parody] . . . That is right!! . . It Just isn't Right!! . . . and those African-Americans and European-Americans intermarrying, that just isn't right 'either!![/EDIT: removal of tobbacco chewin sounds]

[EDIT: Removal of spitting sounds]
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #45 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
[TAWBACKEE CHEWIN] . . . That there is rawt!! . . It Just aint Rawt!! . . . and them colored and whites mixin aint no good t'either[/TAWBACKEE CHEWIN]


**nnnnnrahh--pphhthoey** <--sound O' Luggy

Do you ever make points anymore or just resort to caricatures?

You do this repeatedly. Associating someone repeatedly with a negative stereotype is a personal insult whether you care to admit it or not.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #46 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
I didn't back state's rights. I have contended all along this will drive the issue to be federalize. I think anyone who claims this won't be federalized is being dishonest.

I wasn't trying to single you out, I was just making a general statement about how when conservatives say "more states' rights" they really mean "less individual rights." It just seems odd to me.

Quote:
That being noted, I was pointing out the hypocrisy of those who declare that Massachusetts should be free to do what they want because of state's rights in one thread. While ignoring those very same rights in another thread. California has passed a law granting full domestic partnership registration and rights. We have also passed a law declaring marriage to be between a man and a woman. I find it humorous that those who are defending states rights don't care to defend them here.

In California, are those domestic partnership rights open to same-sex couples? I've read your views on this, and we're probably pretty close on this issue. You're not as conservative as other conservatives and I'm not as liberal as other liberals on this particular issue. I have very mixed feelings about opening marriage to gays. Maybe it's just lingering prejudice on my part. But marriage is a mixed legal and religious construct, and as long as that's the case, I think civil unions are the way to go.
Quote:
I pointed out your catch 22 in another thread, and you rightly conceded that it was your own bias showing. Others should be so honest when admitting they only support federalizing or states rights on an issue by issue basis.

I remember that, but I wouldn't call it a bias as much as a political philosophy: states should be able to choose to increase individual rights beyond the national level, but they shouldn't be allowed to go in the other direction.
post #47 of 160
[responding to Trumptman]

it is just too easy!

why go through all of the work that you go through . . . especially when, after watching the effects of your lengthy posts, I know that few attitudes will be changed.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #48 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
I wasn't trying to single you out, I was just making a general statement about how when conservatives say "more states' rights" they really mean "less individual rights." It just seems odd to me.

In California, are those domestic partnership rights open to same-sex couples? I've read your views on this, and we're probably pretty close on this issue. You're not as conservative as other conservatives and I'm not as liberal as other liberals on this particular issue. I have very mixed feelings about opening marriage to gays. Maybe it's just lingering prejudice on my part. But marriage is a mixed legal and religious construct, and as long as that's the case, I think civil unions are the way to go.
I remember that, but I wouldn't call it a bias as much as a political philosophy: states should be able to choose to increase individual rights beyond the national level, but they shouldn't be allowed to go in the other direction.

California's domestic partnership rights are only open to same sex couples as far as I know. I don't know if I would call my position conservative or liberal since my stance also desires to allow cohabitating couples to find a form of recognition that doesn't force them into "for life" legal commitments while also not making the law treat them as strangers before each other.

As for your "bias" thanks for clarifying it, but to me it is still a one way ticket and bias. At least it is a nice bias though.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #49 of 160
groverat, even though I completely disagree with some of your positions as taken on these and other forums, I respect you for backing yourself up. I will admit I kneejerked on the title. I man up to that.

c'mon groverat, don't give me that "toughen up" business. I'm neither out, latent or closeted. I grew up in an environment (not home) that was "two fisted" in the literal sense. I like to think I've become elightened since those times. That's an inflamatory title anyway you cut it. You are too intelligent to throw a cheapie like that up there. You know you have quite the cult of personality going on here. Good for you. Don't abuse it man.

I'll say that political correctness is out of control. That fact can't be denied. However, the idea of PC came out of a very serious need. It's basically been abused, not by the people, or group of people the concept of PC was intended to cover or protect, for lack of a better term. Abused by none other than certain vultures, errr, lawyers, of course. The "idea" of political correctness is still needed in the US.
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #50 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by hardhead
. . . .

What do you say to the existence of "Queer Studies Departments" in Universities.

It seems to me that the term 'Queer' has been close to re-appropriated by the Gay community, thus disempowering its negative power and replacing it as a positive term

Allthough I will admit the title seemed calculated to impact in a way caontrary to the content of his post . . .

And not only that . .. Grover has a cult of personality?!?


Note: I have EDITED my drawl post . . . but stick t my rights based on the rule of parody and satire
I will stick to my guns and state that the caricature revealed the sublimated tone of the original message!
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #51 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
California, as a state, has decided on this issue. The city of San Francisco is acting in opposition to the laws passed by the entire state.

But hey, lets have a win at any cost right?

It's called civil disobedience. Look into it. It's a hallmark of every great civil rights movement: non-violent protest that breaks a law that should be changed, but in a way that harms no one and destroys no property.

These two little old lesbians are Rosa Parks for our day and age.

Kirk
post #52 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
None of these SF marriages are legal.

It wasn't legal for Rosa Parks to sit on that bus where she did, either. Good thing you weren't around then.
post #53 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirkland
It's called civil disobedience. Look into it. It's a hallmark of every great civil rights movement: non-violent protest that breaks a law that should be changed, but in a way that harms no one and destroys no property.

These two little old lesbians are Rosa Parks for our day and age.

Kirk

Yep, and I'm sure those little old lesbians had ancestors sweating in a cotton field under fear of whip to stay in their place as well.

The comparison is laughable. No one made these ladies sit on the back of the bus. There was never a "gay" drinking fountain, nor have they had to be served in the back of the store or restaurant.

The only "right" they have to pursue with regard to civil rights, is marriage because they never were denied any other rights. It is almost like making up issues to be repressed about.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #54 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Do I have to have a grievence myself in order to want our society to follow the rule of law instead of mob rule?

Nick

I would argue that allowing gay people to marry is more a question of admitting tolerance and addressing discrimination than 'mob rule', no matter how you choose to couch your argument.
post #55 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Yep, and I'm sure those little old lesbians had ancestors sweating in a cotton field under fear of whip to stay in their place as well.

The comparison is laughable. No one made these ladies sit on the back of the bus. There was never a "gay" drinking fountain, nor have they had to be served in the back of the store or restaurant.

The only "right" they have to pursue with regard to civil rights, is marriage because they never were denied any other rights. It is almost like making up issues to be repressed about.

Nick


Screw you, Nick. I am sick of your shit. Now gays aren't oppressed? Gays are oppressed and repressed left and right in our backwards, religion-encrusted

Sure, we were never enslaved, but that doesn't mean that we are not victims of this society, that we have not be abused for no good reason, that we don't deserve to protest for equality, just like any other group trodden upon by the white, male, heterosexual majority.

Kirk
post #56 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
I would argue that allowing gay people to marry is more a question of admitting tolerance and eliminating discrimination than 'mob rule' no matter how you choose to couch your argument.

The only concern Nick has is furthering his own conservative, heterosexist bigotry.
post #57 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by hardhead
Hey Jubelum, you had me going there for awhile...
Obviously you're kidding about taking my "hetero...men" comment personally. Right? You are kidding? Good one!

Always glad to get a smile... by any means necessary.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #58 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirkland
The only concern Nick has is furthering his own conservative, heterosexist bigotry.

Feel free to insult that which you don't understand. Fear is what you act on with your name calling.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #59 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
I would argue that allowing gay people to marry is more a question of admitting tolerance and addressing discrimination than 'mob rule', no matter how you choose to couch your argument.

If it is addressed via the law, then I totally agree. If we have protests, speeches, votes, and discussions to change the law, I totally agree. We could even have people peacefully arrested to show the ridiculousness of the law, and I would agree. If we have people ignore the law then that is mob rule.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #60 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam

I will stick to my guns and state that the caricature revealed the sublimated tone of the original message!


Mmmmkay... spewing a stereotype REALLY helps. Mutual respect for those you disagree with, my friend. 8) Until WE rent the Moscone center for AI forum members, we are all in essence, hidden behind these digital walls. <note to self: pfflam must be telepathic, be careful, because pfflam can understand tonal inflection from simple, typed ASCII characters> Maybe you should offer your services to the Govt?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #61 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Feel free to insult that which you don't understand. Fear is what you act on with your name calling.

Nick

Nick, will you marry me?



Um, on second thought...
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #62 of 160
pfflam, your "note" cracked me up hard! I almost spit Pepsi all over the Cinema 23", almost. As to the "Queer Studies...", man you got me on that one. I fess up that I wasn't aware of such a thing. As I posted before, I admit that I kneejerked somewhat on the title. Guilty as charged.

I'll take a gamble here and say that MOST AI'ers subscribe to the "think different" mantra. I would think this implies that Apple users tend to be more open minded and better educated than their greater numbered PC using bretheren. Well, it doesn't quite work out that way in the real world, does it?

The main reason the government is sticking its nose into this is from Religious pressure. The Religious Conservative Christian Right. What a hypocritical group of folks their so called leaders comprise. There's a very good reason the founding fathers wanted religion and state separated. Granted, they never could have imagined the social environment we're in now. They were wise and far sighted beyond their individual human failings.
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #63 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirkland
Screw you, Nick. I am sick of your shit. Now gays aren't oppressed? Gays are oppressed and repressed left and right in our backwards, religion-encrusted

Sure, we were never enslaved, but that doesn't mean that we are not victims of this society, that we have not be abused for no good reason, that we don't deserve to protest for equality, just like any other group trodden upon by the white, male, heterosexual majority.

Kirk

Is that an offer?

To suggest homosexuals are oppressed the same way many minorities are is just nonsense because unless you broadcast your sexuality, no one can act on it. Like I said you are welcome to show me the "gay" drinking fountains or even the gay equal to Jim Crow laws.

As for abuse, there are plenty of members of every group who have been mistreated by society. There have been a few hate crimes against all members of society. Only if a gang of four black men beat up one white man, it doesn't make nationwide news. Don't think that doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

So as for being sick, you are welcome to gag at my posts. I know I am correct on this issue. If marriage were such a wonderful right, hetersexuals in both the U.S. and Europe wouldn't be abandoning it in record numbers. Marriage is just as much as series of legal entanglements as it is a "right." People who are hetersexual and homosexual do want the rights, but don't want the entanglements. As I have said, homosexual marriage will not address that for anyone.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #64 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Jubelum
Nick, will you marry me?



Um, on second thought...

Grab to polygamy rights signs boys and girls, we are hitting the state capital!


Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #65 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Like I said you are welcome to show me the "gay" drinking fountains or even the gay equal to Jim Crow laws.

Heterosexual 'drinking fountains' are called 'marriage' and homosexual 'drinking fountains' are called 'civil unions'.

I hope this clears things up a bit.
post #66 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
If marriage were such a wonderful right, hetersexuals in both the U.S. and Europe wouldn't be abandoning it in record numbers.

The point is that homosexual couples don't have the opportunity to abandon it whether they wanted to or not.

If in 50 years time we can cite statistics saying 'gay people turn their back on marriage' that's still an advance.
post #67 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
Heterosexual 'drinking fountains' are called 'marriage' and homosexual 'drinking fountains' are called 'civil unions'.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

All it shows is that the only right homosexual can claim to have been denied is a right given to a man and a woman. People are even quibbling about the word. It isn't even like a seperate drinking fountain. It would be more like calling what comes out of the fountain water for a man and a woman, and aqua for homosexuals.

That is the type of quibbling that is going on in the discussion between marriage and civil unions.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #68 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
The point is that homosexual couples don't have the opportunity to abandon it whether they wanted to or not.

If in 50 years time we can cite statistics saying 'gay people turn their back on marriage' that's still an advance.

As I mentioned, marriage has more entanglements than rights. Both homosexuals and heterosexuals want the rights without the entanglements. That is the true civil rights agenda if ever there were one.

If we pursued that then we could end several forms of welfare corruption, overturning of prenuptual agreements, lower the rate of divorce, advance rights for father and homosexuals.

People want the rights, it doesn't matter if they are homosexual or heterosexual.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #69 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
All it shows is that the only right homosexual can claim to have been denied is a right given to a man and a woman. People are even quibbling about the word. It isn't even like a seperate drinking fountain. It would be more like calling what comes out of the fountain water for a man and a woman, and aqua for homosexuals.

That is the type of quibbling that is going on in the discussion between marriage and civil unions.

Nick

But if it really is the same thing, why can't it be called by the same name?

Anyway, the discrimination isn't in what the stuff that comes out of the drinking fountain is called, it's the fact that 'men and women' and homosexuals can't drink out of the same damn thing. That's the problem here.

And let's not give this analogy any more air, eh?
post #70 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Feel free to insult that which you don't understand. Fear is what you act on with your name calling.

Nick

Just like all your posts . . . false righteousness and pompous swagger . . . full of emptiness

You don't know what gay people deal with, not so much today, but in the past it was serious oppression . . . constant fear of discovery and general social censure
Don't mistake the visibility of Gays in the media as acceptance . . . just because queer eye exists on TV doesn't mean that my gay neighbors aren't still ostracized by the average semi-rural population of kindly-lovin christians here in Wisconsin . . . and believe me, if you look like a lesbian you will still hear the epithets hurled from passing cars


and what is all this twaddle about "entanglements" . . . as if your silly vocabulary actually touches bases with real concepts as expressed in logical argument

EDIT: removal of causus belli
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #71 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by DMBand0026


I still can't agree with gay marriage. It's just not right. I don't like to see this happening.

Fair enough, it is your right to disagree. But....how does gay marriage affect *you*? Marriage is a legal contract between two people....it's their business, and not yours, or mine, or the government's....end of story. Why should gay partners who are committed to each other be denied the rights of married couples? If anyone is trashing 'institution of marriage" its people like Britney Spears....
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #72 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
Just like all your posts . . . false righteousness and pompous swagger . . . full of emptiness

You don't know what gay people deal with, not so much today, but in the past it was serious oppression . . . constant fear of discovery and general social censure
Don't mistake the visibility of Gays in the media as acceptance . . . just because queer eye exists on TV doesn't mean that my gay neighbors aren't still ostracized by the average semi-rural population of kindly-lovin christians here in Wisconsin . . . and believe me, if you look like a lesbian you will still hear the epithets hurled from passing cars


and what is all this twaddle about "entanglements" . . . as if your silly vocabulary actually touches bases with real concepts as expressed in logical argument

EDIT: removal of causus belli

You are becoming very good at ranting.

I know plenty of homosexuals and I know plenty of what they deal with. I have a homosexual aunt and uncle. If you think that you can study music in Long Beach and also go into elementary education without encountering homosexuals, well then you don't know much about the homosexual community.

It's in my family. It's in my neighborhood. It's in my profession. It's in my major. They've been my fraternity brothers, my faculty advisors, and even my renters.

So I don't just see them on T.V. or whatever other nonsense you make up in your caricatured, stereotypical shortcuts that you increasingly call critical thought.

Sure maybe they still get some grief in Wisconsin. But so did anyone who grew up too fat, to tall, with a funny name, (try figuring out what rhymes with Nick for fun on a Friday night) anyone with buck-teeth, ugly hair, whatever. Someone will always feel the need to put someone down to make themselves stand a little taller. That is a human nature issue, not a civil rights issue.

Oh and I suppose no hateful epitaphs would fly out a car window for an interacial couple or perhaps even a minority couple under the same possible circumstances even though they already have the right to marry.

Everyone can be taunted for something. No one can make you feel inferior without your own consent. Someday your answers will address the problems instead of just insulting others to endorse solutions to nothing.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #73 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Jubelum
THAT's not very tolerant, now is it?

LOL. May I suggest you learn something about Scientology?
www.xenu.net is a good place to start (the web site has nothing to do with me).
http://freehenson.da.ru/ - chased out of America because he exposed the evils of Scientology. So much for freedom.
http://freehenson.da.ru/ - chased out of America because he exposed the evils of Scientology. So much for freedom.
post #74 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel


If you ask me, marriage is a religious thing.

It's time the church p*ssed off and stayed out of people's private lives.
http://freehenson.da.ru/ - chased out of America because he exposed the evils of Scientology. So much for freedom.
http://freehenson.da.ru/ - chased out of America because he exposed the evils of Scientology. So much for freedom.
post #75 of 160
Thread Starter 
drewprops:

Quote:
You know Ratty old friend he's got a point when it comes down to The Law, blind justice and all.

Never once did I say the mayor or the city of San Francisco has acted appropriately in this matter.

Trumped has no point, as usual he doesn't bother reading a post and just blusters on with red herring bullshit.

---------------

hardheaded:

Quote:
That's an inflamatory title anyway you cut it.

"Queer" isn't a bad word to everyone. I would say that "queer" isn't a bad word to most homosexuals.

I love queers, homosexuals, whatever.

Besides, "queer" is a bad-ass word by itself. Just look at it! Lucky queers.

-------------------

pfflam:

Quote:
Grover has a cult of personality?!?

I am the AI Minister of Information, after all! ;-)
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #76 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
You are becoming very good at ranting.

I know plenty of homosexuals and I know plenty of what they deal with. I have a homosexual aunt and uncle. If you think that you can study music in Long Beach and also go into elementary education without encountering homosexuals, well then you don't know much about the homosexual community.

It's in my family. It's in my neighborhood. It's in my profession. It's in my major. They've been my fraternity brothers, my faculty advisors, and even my renters.

So I don't just see them on T.V. or whatever other nonsense you make up in your caricatured, stereotypical shortcuts that you increasingly call critical thought.

Sure maybe they still get some grief in Wisconsin. But so did anyone who grew up too fat, to tall, with a funny name, (try figuring out what rhymes with Nick for fun on a Friday night) anyone with buck-teeth, ugly hair, whatever. Someone will always feel the need to put someone down to make themselves stand a little taller. That is a human nature issue, not a civil rights issue.

Oh and I suppose no hateful epitaphs would fly out a car window for an interacial couple or perhaps even a minority couple under the same possible circumstances even though they already have the right to marry.

Everyone can be taunted for something. No one can make you feel inferior without your own consent. Someday your answers will address the problems instead of just insulting others to endorse solutions to nothing.

Nick

that's all fine and good . . . and even witty too

however, just because interracial couples still get epithets does not back up an argument that there does not exist oppression
and just because soem fat kid with a funny sounding name got insulted growing up does not mean that things can not be brought to a better state of equity
and just because you had contact with gay people as a music student in Long Beach doesn't mean that you saw what they go through, that you felt the cold sholder
I have lived in more cities in my life then you have visitted (a little hyperbole here) and I have encountered many gay people in each city and also very close to me in my family and extended family, and they are not all of them simply looking to lay their burdens on a boogie-man phantom by saying that they have dealt with descrimination . . . it is real
I'm not advocating too much should be done about it, things will change,
but oine of those things that should change is the legality of Homosexual marriage . . . let it be, what do you care?

If some couples find that "entanglements" are exactly what they need to show a level of commitment and to thus deepen their love then SO WHAT?!?!?!

If they want to feel the sting of divorce court . . then SO WHAT?!?!?!
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #77 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Yep, and I'm sure those little old lesbians had ancestors sweating in a cotton field under fear of whip to stay in their place as well.

Nope, just of losing their home and livlihood and being shut away in an institution or imprisoned for their twisted love. But I guess since that's no longer legal in California they should just sit down, shut up, and thank society for it's largesse.
"..do you remember where you parked the car?"
"..do you remember where you parked the car?"
post #78 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirkland
It wasn't legal for Rosa Parks to sit on that bus where she did, either. Good thing you weren't around then.

You assume too much. Just because I point out that the marriages are illegal doesn't mean I don't support gay marriage.
post #79 of 160
One quick question: How do a lesbian look like?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #80 of 160
this is sad but expected, after all this is the screwiest city in the screwiest state on earth, i call it the granola bar state, take out the fruits and nuts, and all ya have is flakes (AKA Holywood types).

they have befowled an instatution of 5000 plus years in a singal weekend, while marrage is a legal thing it ia a huge social and religious thing, cival unions, i think its creapy but ok, i dont give a damn what you do when the drapes are shut, but this incuranse thing is bogas, it is a known risk, like smoking or being a booze-hound
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Over one thousand married queers in San Fran....