or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › No new PowerMacs until March?

No new PowerMacs until March?

post #1 of 231
This from macosrumors:

"Many of our sources have been increasingly conservative in their projections for a new PowerMac G5 lineup, but until very recently, almost all were predicting the announcement of new models by the end of the month.

A recent report by ThinkSecret has given many rumormongers pause on this topic; now many are beginning to question whether the need to hit speed targets without sacrificing immediate availability of the new models could cause Apple to hold off on upgrade announcements until some time in March. Backing this up is considerable public-domain evidence that supplies of refurbished G5s remain strong enough to prop up dwindling stocks of new PowerMacs until as late as the second week of March, if need be. The situation remains murky enough that we are no longer attempting to make predictions at this juncture, but expect daily updates on the subject as the update draws closer."

Any thoughts?
post #2 of 231
Thoughts? Yes. Mac OS Rumors is lame.
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #3 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
Thoughts? Yes. Mac OS Rumors is lame.

...but this time I think they're correct. No, I'm not going to offer to auto-fellate myself if I'm wrong, but I think the end of March is looking more and more likely.

And my SP 1.25 MDD G4 is feeling more and more slow!

-J
They say that if you play a Windows Install CD backwords, you hear satanic messages. That's nothing; play it forward and it installs Windows.
-TBobMac
They say that if you play a Windows Install CD backwords, you hear satanic messages. That's nothing; play it forward and it installs Windows.
-TBobMac
post #4 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by bangstudios
...but this time I think they're correct. No, I'm not going to offer to auto-fellate myself if I'm wrong

-1 point for spelling

Fillet
post #5 of 231
At this point, I'm just curious to know what the sales figures for total computers sold from Apple wiill be this quarter. Yikes(in a bad way), maybe?\

My guess is, right now the mini is taking up all of the distribution. If Apple did introduce a possibly ready new G5 and iMac, there wouldnt be a way to ship it out for weeks upon weeks. We'll probably have to wait 2 weeks to a month before we see another hardware announcement. Even then, it may take a couple weeks to ship, from the time of announcement.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
post #6 of 231
He meant what he wrote. "Auto- fellate" Look it up in a dictionary or Word's dictionary.
post #7 of 231
Is it me, or does the transparency that they're just blatantly making stuff up get clearer all the time?
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #8 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiahtosh
...My guess is, right now the mini is taking up all of the distribution. If Apple did introduce a possibly ready new G5 and iMac, there wouldnt be a way to ship it out for weeks upon weeks...(

If this were the case then Apple needs to find better distribution channels. Especially since the mini, iMac, PM and PowerBooks are all produced at different facilities. In fact, I think that most these are contracted out to different vendors, though the PM may still be produced in house. If I recall correctly the iPod, software and hardware, are produced by a non-Apple entity. The iMac and PowerBooks are produced in Taiwan, or in another Asian country. The eMac, PowerMac, and the Xserve are the only computers that I don't recall referenced as being outsourced. Apple has handled near simultaneous release of products before, so I doubt this is the hold up. More likely it is a mixture of supply of components and marketing that is holding up any announcements. I would bet that Apple has a pretty well though out timeline for timing the 20th anniversary announcements that we will hear throughout the year, with one coming at least once a month.

January = Xserve, iPod mini, etc.
February = Pepsi promo, iPod mini shipping, something else?
March = iMac, PowerMac
April = iBook, PowerBook, eMac
May = Updated Xserve
June = PowerMac announcement, 3.2 Ghz shipping by end of summer.
July = iMac update announced, shipping by end of summer, iPod/iPod Mini updates.
Aug = iBook, PowerBook announcements.
Sept = OS X 10.4 announcement, shipping by November

Some room in there for maneuvering and adding in software and music announcements to draw it out through November, but I think the above is a pretty good guess.
post #9 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Rmh1572
He meant what he wrote. "Auto- fellate" Look it up in a dictionary or Word's dictionary.

Yup -- kind of goes back to the original G5 intro on here!

-J
-TBobMac
-TBobMac
post #10 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Rmh1572

Dictionary, google is much faster, I stand corrected and award 2 points. Damn, their are no smiies with tongues...
post #11 of 231
They better be announced by the end of March and they better be shipping within two weeks! I'm getting tired of waiting and I've been waiting for almost 2 months. But I agree that the signs point to sometime in March, near the end of March. I checked a couple of retailers and they had a lot of volume of current G5s in stock. Looks like there is a lot of stock to be cleared from the channels, yet.

It's been a very boring February.
post #12 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by oldmacfan
Dictionary, google is much faster, I stand corrected and award 2 points. Damn, their are no smiies with tongues...

Yes there are
post #13 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Luca Rescigno
Yes there are

now how was I supposed to know that I could use this code .
post #14 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonard
... I'm getting tired of waiting and I've been waiting for almost 2 months. ... Looks like there is a lot of stock to be cleared from the channels, yet.

The wait is over for me. I bought the 1.25 GHz Superdrive Powerbook yesterday at CompUSA. I bought my first Macintosh 3 years ago (a Cube) although I really wanted a TiBook which they had just released at the MWSF of 2001. I decided to wait for the portable to reach a GHz before I bought.

Even after the TiBook reached 1 GHz I waited... and waited. I picked up a dual 500 cheap along the way... and waited. This week CompUSA offered 18 months same as cash (until Saturday) so I made my move.

I spent over 4K, getting the wireless keyboard & mouse, a Wacom tablet, Gig of Ram and a Epson R300M printer plus misc. accessories. I've got a year and a half to make this thing pay for itself. Any creative ideas on how I can do that?

This month has been anything but boring for me.
OSX + Duals, Quads & Octos = World Domination
post #15 of 231
A theory: They're going for 3 Ghz in the next speed bump. They're not going to wait until the end of summer as we all expect. Perhaps in April or May.

1. We know Jobs said 3 Ghz before the end of summer '04.

2. The current G5s have really only been available for 6 months now, or less, given the initial delay. That's a relatively short life span, especially with the mid-range speed-bump recently. A new release in April or May would really only be about 9 months, which would be a reasonable life span for this machine.

3. If speed-bumped PowerMacs (say, 2.5 Ghz) are released in March, that's an awfully short life span for them too, assuming that 3 Ghz ones would replace them by end of summer.

I know, 1 Ghz is a pretty large jump. But it might be more cost-effective for them to skip intermediate jumps and instead sell them for 9 months rather than 6.

Eh, maybe not. But they better do it quick, because if they push it any longer, it's going to be hard to meet an "end of summer" goal for the 3 Ghz speed bump Jobs promised.
post #16 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiahtosh
My guess is, right now the mini is taking up all of the distribution.

]

No, the are lots of planes and ships crossing the Paciific that are carrying stuff that have absolutely nothing to do with Apple or the iPod Mini
post #17 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
1. We know Jobs said 3 Ghz before the end of summer '04.

No, when Steve announced the G5's he said "within a year" not "by the end of the summer" or "within a year of users receiving the G5."
post #18 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by NShirkey
No, when Steve announced the G5's he said "within a year" not "by the end of the summer" or "within a year of users receiving the G5."

No, at the Paris expo he changed that to the end of summer 2004. Either way, if they keep waiting it makes the timeline trickier to keep that promise.
post #19 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Flounder
Is it me, or does the transparency that they're just blatantly making stuff up get clearer all the time?

LOL!!! Totally agreed!

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #20 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonard
They better be announced by the end of March and they better be shipping within two weeks! I'm getting tired of waiting and I've been waiting for almost 2 months. But I agree that the signs point to sometime in March, near the end of March. I checked a couple of retailers and they had a lot of volume of current G5s in stock. Looks like there is a lot of stock to be cleared from the channels, yet.

Good luck clearing those quantities of G5's... if people have waited this long they are going to wait for the updates. Anyone who buys a g5 right now is out of their mind. I would assume power mac sales are way down right now. I'm too lazy to find a url right now. I just don't see how they could keep up those sales. \

Quote:

Quote:

post #21 of 231
Quote:
No, at the Paris expo he changed that to the end of summer 2004. Either way, if they keep waiting it makes the timeline trickier to keep that promise.

How often has apple honored year timelines
Of course all of the ones they haven't been faithful towards was due to other companies slacking. Its completely out of Apple's hands to have a 3ghz g5 ready before end of summer... its all on IBM. They just released a 2.5ghz... why would they release another 500mhz speed bump in 6 months when the 2ghz lasted for 13 months?? (they announced the 2ghz 970 back in January 2003.... 2.5ghz 970fx in February 2004...

But then again... its been mentioned that ibm could have a deal with apple not to mention what apple gets... who knows.

I hate to say it but we are all GUESSING 100%. Power Mac sales have to be done... could you imagine Apple milking those low power mac sales for another 6 months? won't happen.

Quote:

Quote:

post #22 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Aphelion
I've got a year and a half to make this thing pay for itself. Any creative ideas on how I can do that?

I'm no accountant, but I've heard third hand that if you purchase a computer for the express purpose of getting published (book or only article, I don't know), you can write off the cost of the machine when tax season rolls around the following year.
post #23 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by LudwigVan
I'm no accountant, but I've heard third hand that if you purchase a computer for the express purpose of getting published (book or only article, I don't know), you can write off the cost of the machine when tax season rolls around the following year.

I guess it's a good time to start the "Great American Novel" then. Seriously though, I'm planning a digital photography business using the Powerbook and my Nikon D100.

I shot a friend's wedding last Summer and it turned out great. I used iPhoto to create an album and they loved it (why not, it was a wedding present). A lot of friends said I should be doing event photography professionally, and so now I am. All I need are some customers. Any ideas there?

There is a wrestling tournament at the local High School tomorrow and I'm going to cover it with my Nikon and hand out my cards
post #24 of 231
Quote:
3. If speed-bumped PowerMacs (say, 2.5 Ghz) are released in March, that's an awfully short life span for them too, assuming that 3 Ghz ones would replace them by end of summer.

i think it will only be a minor effort for apple to ramp up production of cpu-upgraded powermacs every 4 months
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
post #25 of 231
You can claim a section 179 depreciation deduction on capital items for your business but there are some rules: Mostly that the amount you can claim is limited to your revenue. Of course, it has to be a real business or the IRS can get grumpy.

Quote:
Originally posted by LudwigVan
The Mad Kiwi Winemaker
The Mad Kiwi Winemaker
post #26 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Good luck clearing those quantities of G5's... if people have waited this long they are going to wait for the updates. Anyone who buys a g5 right now is out of their mind. I would assume power mac sales are way down right now. I'm too lazy to find a url right now. I just don't see how they could keep up those sales. \

Well, the way they are doing it is by cutting the price. There appear to still be a lot of single 1.8's out there selling around $1700... and they appear to be selling briskly at that price. I wouldn't say anyone who bought one of them was out of their mind, I'd say they got a pretty good deal.

But the other models, especially the 1.6's, I would suspect are not selling well at all.
post #27 of 231
People who read the rumor sites and follow the update schedules are a tiny minority. Businesses and schools buy when the money comes in, and most consumers don't follow the update schedules anyway. I seriously doubt if people waiting for updates is causing any drop off in PowerMac sales.
post #28 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
Well, the way they are doing it is by cutting the price. There appear to still be a lot of single 1.8's out there selling around $1700... and they appear to be selling briskly at that price. I wouldn't say anyone who bought one of them was out of their mind, I'd say they got a pretty good deal.

But the other models, especially the 1.6's, I would suspect are not selling well at all.

But how many 1.6's did Apple produce, and how many are currently in wharehouses? If Apple didn't produce many in the first place then it might not be such a big deal.
post #29 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by JCG
But how many 1.6's did Apple produce, and how many are currently in wharehouses? If Apple didn't produce many in the first place then it might not be such a big deal.

So if they weren't selling as well, then Apple doesn't make as many and they then sell those 1.6s over several months. No problem.

Further, Apple took preorders before they started making G5's, so they knew how low the demand would be for the 1.6s and so they made fewer of them in the first place.

The idea that somewhere in Cupertino there is a wherehouse full of 1.6 GHz G5s is totally bogus. This isn't Apple under Amelio.
King Felix
King Felix
post #30 of 231
Quote:
I seriously doubt if people waiting for updates is causing any drop off in PowerMac sales.

Yea, tell Apple Marketing that.

Surely you are not serious with that statement... good one.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #31 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Jubelum

I absolutely do believe it.

1. It's not even been a full 6 months that the G5s have been really available.
2. They had the mid-range upgrade even more recently.
3. The vast majority of people don't follow the update timelines like we here on AI.

Do you have any evidence that sales have dropped off, let alone that the drop-off is due to update expectations?
post #32 of 231
There is a new deal on the Apple Store for PowerMacs... This could mean something. You get a PowerMac, Apple Monitor and AppleCare for $59 a month if I remember correctly.
I love the miniBook!!! Oh yeah!!!
I love the miniBook!!! Oh yeah!!!
post #33 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Jubelum

He's correct. I know of NO creative person who looks at the rumor sites to decide what to buy and when. They buy when they have the cash or when they need it.
post #34 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
He's correct. I know of NO creative person who looks at the rumor sites to decide what to buy and when. They buy when they have the cash or when they need it.

I'm a creative person... I look at the rumor sites... I'm not going to spend my hard-earned cash on something that will be out of date in a week.

I like to think that Mac users are a bit smarter and more savy than the average PC user, and a Mac user would do a little research before just buying what's available.
post #35 of 231
Quote:

I'm a designer by trade, and I give buying advice to my associates. I look at the rumor sites regularly, and just the other day talked a colleague into buying a 1.8 Ghz G5 over a dual 1.25 Ghz G4 that he was looking at due to its ability to dual boot OS's. The week before I told another colleague to hold off for a month or so on the purchase of a dual 2Ghz G5 if he could because Apple historically releases new pro machines this time of year. I also talked him out of buying Quark 6 because it was redundant for his needs since he was buying InDesign, and he just uses it to produce a catalog for a mail order business. To say that we, creative professionals, don't keep up with the trends, news and yes rumors that effect our professional livelihood nieve at best, and a bit insulting at worst. We have as much or more at steak, if not more, as IT pro's, and a good amount of influence in the buying decisions that our employers make when it comes to computers.
post #36 of 231
Well I don't know you guys. :P
post #37 of 231
Quote:

Do you have any evidence that sales have dropped off, let alone that the drop-off is due to update expectations?

Do you really think that PowerMacs are still selling as well as they were the a month or two after introduction? The Apple employee at the local CompUSA said that in October, they could not keep the Dual 2 in. Now he is sitting on 35 of them. It just does not stand to reason that people are buying an aged model at full pace.

----------------------------
As reported by ThinkSecret in 02:

As one dealer put it, "Professional system sales have slowed to a trickle. They've got to clear stock before they rollout new models. That's how bad it is."

Here
----------------------------

Besides all of this, there would NEVER be a sale on current models if the demand was there. They would not have to. Look around at the deals on PMG5's right now. It's a buyers market- produced by SLOWING DEMAND.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #38 of 231
I dunno. I still get plenty of people who say "There's a G5 now?!" or "There 2 Giga-hurts now?!"
post #39 of 231
Quote:
I dunno. I still get plenty of people who say "There's a G5 now?!" or "There 2 Giga-hurts now?!"

Well, true to my handle... not all can be "enlightened" to the Mac world.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #40 of 231
Quote:

I'm a professional illustrator and I'm in the market for a professional machine (obviously a dual g5). The reason why I'm STILL in the market is because of the rev b's on the horizon. Just posting here defeats your idea that "NO creative person" looks at the rumor sites. I need the machine asap, but I dont want to drop the cash on a machine that will be replaced by something more powerful for the same price in another month or two. I just want to get as much for my money as I can. That may be foolish to think that way considering i could be using it now, but hey, we creative people are CRAZY.
You just gotta find the sweet spot.
You just gotta find the sweet spot.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › No new PowerMacs until March?