or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › No new PowerMacs until March?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

No new PowerMacs until March? - Page 5

post #161 of 231
Quote:
I still have dreams of waking one day and finding that the ATI All-in-Wonder is now Mac compatible.... fat chance

An ATI rep. claimed that upcoming All-In-Wonders would be Mac compatible late last year. It was on Ars Techinca's front page Expo news a while back.
Stoo
Reply
Stoo
Reply
post #162 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Stoo
An ATI rep. claimed that upcoming All-In-Wonders would be Mac compatible late last year. It was on Ars Techinca's front page Expo news a while back.

That is good news. The more graphics card options for PowerMacs the better.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #163 of 231
Why do you want more choices exactly? Apart form offering the Radeon 9600 for older macs (PMG4s etc) and putting more powerful cards in iMacs, there really isn't a need for more cards. Only perhaps the nVidia variant of the 9600 and 9800...

That would be nice, and we should be expecting these, shouldn't we?
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
Reply
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
Reply
post #164 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by mattyj
Why do you want more choices exactly? Apart form offering the Radeon 9600 for older macs (PMG4s etc) and putting more powerful cards in iMacs, there really isn't a need for more cards. Only perhaps the nVidia variant of the 9600 and 9800...

That would be nice, and we should be expecting these, shouldn't we?

That's pretty much what I mean. But I think the availability of a few cards BTO from each vendor would be huge selling points for Apple, and It would give users better choices to fit their needs.
If the user is not graphics dependent, or strapped for cash, but wants the Mac they can get the low end. (most of the following cards should be updated soon, but it's just a reference): They can choose from say an ATI 9600 pro, or from the Nvidia pulldown the Geforce FX 5700. If your big on gaming, or use graphics dependant applications you should have the option of the best card's to choose from for that situation. Like the ATI 9800 XT Pro, or nVidia GeForce FX 5950 Ultra. If you have special requirement's or needs such as 3D you'll need a 3D card like the ATI FireGL Z1/X1, or the nVidia Quadro FX 3000. 2 great vendors to choose from 3 cards each. Doesn't seem like a lot compared to what the x86 side has to choose from, and I think it would make the PowerMac look far more attractive to many people.
I personally believe the lack of graphics card options is the biggest reason would be switchers don't switch. That, and some speed/performance issues, but I think IBM has that taken care of, and it's soon to be completely over. They rule! Apple should be prepaired for that with graphics options to get more butts in seats of Mac desks.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #165 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by niloc
PowerMac updates will be announced on March 2nd.

You lose!!!
post #166 of 231
how bout march 23rd
post #167 of 231
I confess I didn't read the entire thread so this may have come up. IBM's Power Tune technology cuts the clock rate in half and drops the supply voltage from 1.3 V to 1.1 V, in the first step to running cooler, when computing demand is low. After that, it cuts clock rate even more, but the voltage stays at 1.1 V. It looks to me like Apple needs a new, fancy power supply to do the job of voltage reduction on demand. This supply might be one of the things slowing the schedule.

From what I can tell, the Xserve likely runs at 1.1 V always, to keep power low. Those 970FX chips that do 2.0 GHz at 1.1 V in the Xserve can likely do 2.4 or 2.6 GHz at 1.3 V. I did a calculation that showed a 3.0 GHz 970FX at 1.3 V would dissipate just under 60 Watts. That's close to the present 2.0 GHz chip.
post #168 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
how bout march 23rd

The new Mag'Plus rumor agrees 100% with you! Plus, they predict an all dual Power Mac line, 1.8 GHz, 2.2 GHz and 2.4 GHz.
post #169 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
I confess I didn't read the entire thread so this may have come up. IBM's Power Tune technology cuts the clock rate in half and drops the supply voltage from 1.3 V to 1.1 V, in the first step to running cooler, when computing demand is low. After that, it cuts clock rate even more, but the voltage stays at 1.1 V. It looks to me like Apple needs a new, fancy power supply to do the job of voltage reduction on demand. This supply might be one of the things slowing the schedule.

From what I can tell, the Xserve likely runs at 1.1 V always, to keep power low. Those 970FX chips that do 2.0 GHz at 1.1 V in the Xserve can likely do 2.4 or 2.6 GHz at 1.3 V. I did a calculation that showed a 3.0 GHz 970FX at 1.3 V would dissipate just under 60 Watts. That's close to the present 2.0 GHz chip.

GREAT!! More power supply issues... they can't even figure out the current power supply issues... but maybe bringing in a whole new power supply will get rid of current issues.

There could be a 100 different things holding back the power macs from what I've read over the last few months. Power Supplys, Lack of new 970fx's, Fan redesign, Graphic Cards... the list goes on. I only wish I knew what the real problem was so I knew who to blame .

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #170 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Stoo

An ATI rep. claimed that upcoming All-In-Wonders would be Mac compatible late last year. It was on Ars Techinca's front page Expo news a while back.

Including their HDTV card?
post #171 of 231
This thread keeps sending me email updates, but this has been the last post on my browser for the last few days...

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #172 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
The new Mag'Plus rumor agrees 100% with you! Plus, they predict an all dual Power Mac line, 1.8 GHz, 2.2 GHz and 2.4 GHz.

No dual 2GHz? A very conservative prediction by macplus. 256MB RAM is not much these days... Old graphics cards. I wonder what prices we can expect.
Why tell the world that the 970fx is good for 2,5GHz and then only offer 2,4Ghz?
I'm kinda disappointed, expected 2,6 GHz. But an update is always good. The wait for 3 GHz doesn't seem to long now.
post #173 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by sls
No dual 2GHz? A very conservative prediction by macplus. 256MB RAM is not much these days... Old graphics cards. I wonder what prices we can expect.
Why tell the world that the 970fx is good for 2,5GHz and then only offer 2,4Ghz?
I'm kinda disappointed, expected 2,6 GHz. But an update is always good. The wait for 3 GHz doesn't seem to long now.

I almost agree completely. Honestly if this is the computer that is going to be released, then i'm pretty pissed off. No ram upgrade, No Graphics Card upgrade, No Case upgrade, No HardDrive upgrade, just a 400mhz speed bump on each proc? Lets hope they upgrade that damned Power Supply. I assume they will have to since the 970fx is power variable. They will have to drop the prices on these machines if that is all they do.

I know they had to upgrade the motherboard for this new chip. If they are going to upgrade the motherboard why not use modern ram?? I seriously doubt apple is going to use DDR400 ram again.

The more I think about it the more I realize that these predictions have to be off. Offering 256mb ram in the Professional Lineup has to change. Also ddr400... I can't picture apple using it again... since 533 has been out for so long.

Could you imagine apple using the exact same cards in these machines that they released 7-8 months ago? This prediction is a bad one IMHO.

And you're right, 2.4 does seem weird since IBM announced 2.5s... really awkward. How would this european site know more than american companies? The g5 is made locally.

THe part I disagree on is the 3 ghz is off further then most think. Apple isn't going to release this update than release 3ghz 3-4 months later. They will milk the next update just like they milk every update they have ever made. Most are claiming apple won't even hit 3ghz this year but instead will hit 2.8ghz. Wouldn't that be a critical blow to predicitons?

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #174 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
THe part I disagree on is the 3 ghz is off further then most think. Apple isn't going to release this update than release 3ghz 3-4 months later. They will milk the next update just like they milk every update they have ever made. Most are claiming apple won't even hit 3ghz this year but instead will hit 2.8ghz. Wouldn't that be a critical blow to predicitons?

Bad formulation. What I meant was that I'd rather wait for the "holy" 3GHz model than buy a 2.4, can't explain it, psychologically... (Only thing is that I'll need a new PM before September/October, so I'll probably buy the 2.4)
I hope "most" are wrong. SJ not being able to fulfill his promise and deliver the worlds fastest PC would give the PC-world a long good laugh.
post #175 of 231
I am still thinking that the next PowerMac upgrade will bring G5:s at 3GHz. But I am crazy for believing that, perhaps...
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
Reply
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
Reply
post #176 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by KANE
I am still thinking that the next PowerMac upgrade will bring G5:s at 3GHz. But I am crazy for believing that, perhaps...

I hope you are crazy (right).

I am crossing my fingers, and holding my breath!

It's gonna be my first Mac ever, so it's gotta be good!
Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz, iPod mini green & silver & pink, iPod Photo 30g, 1g iPod Shuffle
160GB HDD
8x SuperDrive
512MB RAM
AirPort Extreme
Mac OS X
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
Bluetooth Module + Apple...
Reply
Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz, iPod mini green & silver & pink, iPod Photo 30g, 1g iPod Shuffle
160GB HDD
8x SuperDrive
512MB RAM
AirPort Extreme
Mac OS X
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
Bluetooth Module + Apple...
Reply
post #177 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by sls
Bad formulation. What I meant was that I'd rather wait for the "holy" 3GHz model than buy a 2.4, can't explain it, psychologically... (Only thing is that I'll need a new PM before September/October, so I'll probably buy the 2.4)
I hope "most" are wrong. SJ not being able to fulfill his promise and deliver the worlds fastest PC would give the PC-world a long good laugh.

You're right.. they will be laughing. It wouldn't be the first promise SJ has broke. I can think of so many...

One thing though. Everyone keeps referring to what he said as a "promise". He didn't promise anything. If I recall correctly he said if everything works out correctly we could have 3ghz this time next year. I could be wrong though.

Again the more I talk to people and think about it... these rumors aren't holding true. A tiny 400mhz speed bump for each proc is not all they will do. I'm not too worried actually. But I'm in the same boat as you. i can't wait until october for a new machine. I don't have a mac any more because I sold it thinking they would be out by now... I have a Select ADC account and I can't even use the tools I get every month... it sucks!

But again... these macs will scream and still be more than I'll need for a long long time. Programmers don't need all that great stuff any ways. But I will need Photoshop to fly. So we'll see...

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #178 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
A tiny 400mhz speed bump for each proc is not all they will do. I'm not too worried actually. .

I'd be interested in what other promises he has not delivered on. Not for the purpose of creating an arguement, rather to soften the crushing trauma from it maybe not happening. I tend to take the word "promise" seriously... did he actually use that word at the keynote? I don't remember, I was catatonic from the spectre of the G5. What else has he fudged on?

I have decided that if we see 2.6 with a terabyte of internal as an option and 512+ RAM standard, I am there. As far as RAM, though, I would rather pay for it after the fact cheaper, than have to pay Apple for RAM impregnated with Californium 252.

I am at the end of my rope with a daisy-chained Firewire HD nest. I want it internal and fast, and the case can certainly do it. A new display would be nice, too.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #179 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Jubelum
I'd be interested in what other promises he has not delivered on. Not for the purpose of creating an arguement, rather to soften the crushing trauma from it maybe not happening. I tend to take the word "promise" seriously... did he actually use that word at the keynote? I don't remember, I was catatonic from the spectre of the G5.

All he said was that they would be at 3 ghz in a year.No promise.Nothing about "if all goes well".What he didnt say was that 12 months to the day you would be taking home a 3 ghz machine.If they are delivering 3 ghz machines by the end of the summer in September I consider that a "promise" kept.No one should be upset about that.
post #180 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
I almost agree completely. Honestly if this is the computer that is going to be released, then i'm pretty pissed off. No ram upgrade, No Graphics Card upgrade, No Case upgrade, No HardDrive upgrade, just a 400mhz speed bump on each proc? Lets hope they upgrade that damned Power Supply. I assume they will have to since the 970fx is power variable. They will have to drop the prices on these machines if that is all they do.

I actually don't want anything more than the upgrades you listed. I had a dual G5 and totally got burned by video issues, costing me enourmous amounts of time before (and after!) I returned it. So I'd rather they do a very small update that fixes all the bugs of the current machine, so that I can repurchase one with all the fixes.

Adding new features is much more likely to add new bugs...
Die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen. -- Goethe
Reply
Die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen. -- Goethe
Reply
post #181 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by cuneglasus
All he said was that they would be at 3 ghz in a year.No promise.Nothing about "if all goes well".What he didnt say was that 12 months to the day you would be taking home a 3 ghz machine.If they are delivering 3 ghz machines by the end of the summer in September I consider that a "promise" kept.No one should be upset about that.

Actually Steve said "3GHz within 12 months" at WWDC. Then he changed this to "3GHz by the end of summer" (don't recall where, but it was a few months later, maybe september?). We already know that by the end of summer means by the end of September by Apple standards. So if we don't see the machine then, the stockholder lawsuits can fly
post #182 of 231
Actually... you all are right. "Within 12 months"

Just give me my terabyte of SATA and no one gets hurt. I get my RevB and Apple gets (more) of my money. Wasn't that easy?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #183 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by kupan787
Actually Steve said "3GHz within 12 months" at WWDC. Then he changed this to "3GHz by the end of summer" (don't recall where, but it was a few months later, maybe september?). We already know that by the end of summer means by the end of September by Apple standards. So if we don't see the machine then, the stockholder lawsuits can fly

It was at the Paris Expo where he changed his statement.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #184 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by sls
No dual 2GHz? A very conservative prediction by macplus. 256MB RAM is not much these days... Old graphics cards. I wonder what prices we can expect.
Why tell the world that the 970fx is good for 2,5GHz and then only offer 2,4Ghz?
I'm kinda disappointed, expected 2,6 GHz. But an update is always good. The wait for 3 GHz doesn't seem to long now.

Well... the G4-->G5 upgrade gave you everything and more... Why do you want it again already?
I expect all of the 2 Ghz processors to go to the Xserve, and maybe a stockpile to go into the iMac soon?

And note, if i remember correctly, noone from IBM or Apple has said anything about the FX reaching 2,5 Ghz... That came from newssite's and rumorsites...

Geeezz....
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
post #185 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by kupan787
Actually Steve said "3GHz within 12 months" at WWDC. Then he changed this to "3GHz by the end of summer" (don't recall where, but it was a few months later, maybe september?). We already know that by the end of summer means by the end of September by Apple standards. So if we don't see the machine then, the stockholder lawsuits can fly

An announcement of 3.0 Ghz G5's within 12 months, would still be on schedule! A shipment within 12 months of the original G5 shipdate, would also be on schedule!
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
post #186 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch
Well... the G4-->G5 upgrade gave you everything and more... Why do you want it again already?
I expect all of the 2 Ghz processors to go to the Xserve, and maybe a stockpile to go into the iMac soon?

And note, if i remember correctly, noone from IBM or Apple has said anything about the FX reaching 2,5 Ghz... That came from newssite's and rumorsites...

Geeezz....

Microprocessor Report - 970fx

There... straight from the horses mouth on IBM announcing 2.5 970fx's. That is from the OFFICIAL company that did the ISSCC conference. It took some digging but I found it.

Most people aren't asking for a total revamp of the g5. We don't need 3ghz procs. The main complaint is they aren't changing anything but the PS and the PROC... no ram upgrade? No grahpics card upgrade? both ram and graphics card are over a year old. DDR533 has been out for 9 months. The 9800 has been out for 12 months that I know of. 9800xt has been out for at least 5. NVidia is stuck on 5200's?? Give me a break. This is potentially the weakest update I've seen from apple. I hope they modify the case for terabyte hd's. Say no to daisy chained hd's.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #187 of 231
I just wanted to say I've never seen a forum topic go on this long!

This just shows how badly apple needed to update the powermacs... *shrugs*

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #188 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Microprocessor Report - 970fx

There... straight from the horses mouth on IBM announcing 2.5 970fx's. That is from the OFFICIAL company that did the ISSCC conference. It took some digging but I found it.

Quote:
Editor: The 970FX should yield well at 2.5GHz


I see nothing except speculation.. (cant access the original link)

Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Most people aren't asking for a total revamp of the g5. We don't need 3ghz procs. The main complaint is they aren't changing anything but the PS and the PROC... no ram upgrade? No grahpics card upgrade? both ram and graphics card are over a year old. DDR533 has been out for 9 months. The 9800 has been out for 12 months that I know of. 9800xt has been out for at least 5. NVidia is stuck on 5200's?? Give me a break. This is potentially the weakest update I've seen from apple. I hope they modify the case for terabyte hd's. Say no to daisy chained hd's.

I'd say a 400 Mhz speedbump is a lot...You think not? And I cant see why you need more ram/HD.. Just buy it!
And dont expect Apple to jump on the latest wagon all the time... We've had PC-133 ram for years now... I would expect a ram/HD/more bays upgrade when it hit 3.0 Ghz!
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
post #189 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

I would expect a ram/HD/more bays upgrade when it hit 3.0 Ghz! [/B]

I agree completely. This update to the systems is probably going to be more of an interum update. Just minor changes in specs here and there (wishfully...they'd give us lots of new stuff). I think when they hit the 3 ghz mark is when you're going to see more system changes (the ram, two optical drives, more hd bays...etc...). They'll probably hold off on the monitor upgrades until then too, because Jobs announced the 3 ghz last summer. THey're going to make as big a deal out of that as they can, and introduce as much as they can. That's just my opinion though. It'd be nice to get new monitors with the new round of upgrades.
You just gotta find the sweet spot.
Reply
You just gotta find the sweet spot.
Reply
post #190 of 231
the mac rumor sites are making very conservative predictions on the new g5's so that they'll be right--i can see up to 2.5 or 2.6, and wont be upset.
post #191 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Jubelum
...As far as RAM, though, I would rather pay for it after the fact cheaper, than have to pay Apple for RAM impregnated with Californium 252...

Oi!
Quote:
Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus
...(not Apple RAM of course because it costs only just a little less than californium-252 -- ah Google...)

[Insert homer_mad.gif here ]

Patent Pending
Patent Pending
Patent Pending
You mean you read this far?
Reply
You mean you read this far?
Reply
post #192 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus
Oi!

[Insert homer_mad.gif here ]

Patent Pending
Patent Pending
Patent Pending

Oh. For. Real.

What kind of licensing fee can I pay you for referring to your original post?
How about eleven cents and half a Hershey Bar? Cool?

Hey everyone, I was referring to SonOf's Californium post. The author apologises for any confusion or trademark infringment. We now return to our regular thread.

To me, internal storage is the whopper, along with 8x DVD burning. RAM and processor are secondary... but I think AAPL needs more than a 400Mhz bump in this revision... 2.6 would put us on track, methinks.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #193 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
the mac rumor sites are making very conservative predictions on the new g5's so that they'll be right--i can see up to 2.5 or 2.6, and wont be upset.

You will be upset if Apple releases 2.8 Ghz?
Dfn Eupfhoria: the joy of playing the 21st level of marathon.
Reply
Dfn Eupfhoria: the joy of playing the 21st level of marathon.
Reply
post #194 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
DDR533 has been out for 9 months.

And what PCs are using it? Currently it is too expensive to hit Apple's price points. That they went with DDR400 was surprisingly progressive and unusual.

Quote:

The 9800 has been out for 12 months that I know of. 9800xt has been out for at least 5. NVidia is stuck on 5200's??



The significance of the changes since the 9800 was released have been fairly minor (same for nVidia). Apple is probably waiting for the next big leap so that it is worth the investment. Revving products is expensive so they'll only do it if the payoff is worthwhile.

Quote:
Give me a break. This is potentially the weakest update I've seen from apple. I hope they modify the case for terabyte hd's. Say no to daisy chained hd's.

Which update is that? I haven't seen Apple announce anything yet, and I'm sure the news sites would have had something.

Sheesh, at least wait until Apple actually announces something before slamming them. The rumour sites are just grasping at straws since everybody expects a bump.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #195 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Programmer
Which update is that? I haven't seen Apple announce anything yet, and I'm sure the news sites would have had something.

Sheesh, at least wait until Apple actually announces something before slamming them. The rumour sites are just grasping at straws since everybody expects a bump. [/B]

if you paid attention you would have seen that I said the word "POTENTIALLY"...

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #196 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Jubelum
To me, internal storage is the whopper, along with 8x DVD burning. RAM and processor are secondary... but I think AAPL needs more than a 400Mhz bump in this revision... 2.6 would put us on track, methinks.

Internal storage is a big one. And you're right... ram and procs should come secondary.

Apple does need a bigger bump than 400mhz... you're right. At least it would satisfy many peeps.

As far as the DVD burning thing. If you buy a custom built g5 from apple... take out the superdrive and save $$. You get a really nice combo drive that is worth at least 50 dollars. Then go to some website like livewarehouse.com or esbuy.com and buy a pioneer 107... 8x for -/+R for 140 dollars. Now you have a really cool spare combo drive and a superdrive... and you saved 60 dollars .

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #197 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647


As far as the DVD burning thing. If you buy a custom built g5 from apple... take out the superdrive and save $$. You get a really nice combo drive that is worth at least 50 dollars. Then go to some website like livewarehouse.com or esbuy.com and buy a pioneer 107... 8x for -/+R for 140 dollars. Now you have a really cool spare combo drive and a superdrive... and you saved 60 dollars .

How does that affect AppleCare coverage?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #198 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Jubelum
How does that affect AppleCare coverage?

Thats why you keep around the combo drive in case something happens. But I believe the 107 would be the exactly the same as the superdrive that comes in them. I had a friend who said apple finally moved over to the 106 pioneer instead of the sony. I'm not really sure which they are using right now. But it would be very difficult for them to tell if you swapped the optical drives.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #199 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
This is potentially the weakest update I've seen from apple.

You must be new to this game. To me, a 400MHz speed bump is almost unbelievable. It wasn't so long ago that whole expos were built around 50MHz increases, new iMac case colors, or iCards.
post #200 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by BrunoBruin
You must be new to this game. To me, a 400MHz speed bump is almost unbelievable. It wasn't so long ago that whole expos were built around 50MHz increases, new iMac case colors, or iCards.

As a rule of thumb technology doubles every 18 months. 18 months ago I would have been impressed. Just like I was impressed of apple going from 333->450mhz g4s. That was 4 years ago? Its time to have bigger updates. 100mhz isn't what it used to be.

I've been in this game since 91. I remember when apple went from 33mhz to 66mhz on the 68040. There was also a ppc release in there at 66mhz too. That was a big thing back in 93 or 94 (can't remember off of the top of my head). That was also 10 years ago

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › No new PowerMacs until March?