or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › No new PowerMacs until March?

No new PowerMacs until March? - Page 2

post #41 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyTwoToes
I just want to get as much for my money as I can. That may be foolish to think that way considering i could be using it now, but hey, we creative people are CRAZY.

If your business was made or broken by the speed of the machine you woulda purchased a Dual 2GHz G5 machine MANY months ago - been maximizing the profits from the purchase (by doing more jobs faster) and getting ready to sell the sucker and buy the next speed bump...
If your business isn't made or broken by the speed of the machine you buy the best VALUED machine and keep it as long as you can stand it and maximize your profits by not wasting money on more hardware than you really need.

Quote:
I need the machine asap but I dont want to drop the cash on a machine that will be replaced by something more powerful for the same price in another month or two.

Well... if you are a professional and NEED THE MACHINE ASAP then you'd buy it - that's what professionals do! Now could it be you didn't mean to say "I NEED THE MACHINE ASAP" but instead "I'D LIKE A NEW BUT CAN HOLD OFF"

Am I right?

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #42 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveGee
If your business was made or broken by the speed of the machine you woulda purchased a Dual 2GHz G5 machine MANY months ago - been maximizing the profits from the purchase (by doing more jobs faster) and getting ready to sell the sucker and buy the next speed bump...
If your business isn't made or broken by the speed of the machine you buy the best VALUED machine and keep it as long as you can stand it and maximize your profits by not wasting money on more hardware than you really need.

Well... if you are a professional and NEED THE MACHINE ASAP then you'd buy it - that's what professionals do! Now could it be you didn't mean to say "I NEED THE MACHINE ASAP" but instead "I'D LIKE A NEW BUT CAN HOLD OFF"

Am I right?

Dave

ya caught me red handed dave. you win this round, but your victory is a shallow one. FOR THE DAY IS MINE! all kidding aside... if i'm gonna sink money into a machine, my philsophy has always been to get as high as you can on the tech scale so it stays viable longer, but that's just my take on it. You may not NEED that type of horsepower NOW, but someday, who knows. That might keep me running new versions of many of the apps i use longer, or if my needs change it will be easier to accomdate them. I ran a mac LCII with a IIe card for YEARS before i switched over to pc, but my needs changed to neccessitate the switch (family system, wasnt just my decision..you've seen it before i'm sure). I'm still chugging along with my bug ridden system now, but in doing freelance work the only person who will ever use this machine will be myself. Work is slow right now, which is the only reason i'm waiting.
You just gotta find the sweet spot.
post #43 of 231
Quote:
ya caught me red handed dave. you win this round, but your victory is a shallow one. FOR THE DAY IS MINE! all kidding aside... if i'm gonna sink money into a machine, my philsophy has always been to get as high as you can on the tech scale so it stays viable longer, but that's just my take on it. You may not NEED that type of horsepower NOW, but someday, who knows. That might keep me running new versions of many of the apps i use longer, or if my needs change it will be easier to accomdate them. I ran a mac LCII with a IIe card for YEARS before i switched over to pc, but my needs changed to neccessitate the switch (family system, wasnt just my decision..you've seen it before i'm sure). I'm still chugging along with my bug ridden system now, but in doing freelance work the only person who will ever use this machine will be myself. Work is slow right now, which is the only reason i'm waiting.

Heh... Well now, that wasn't so hard was it...

All kidding aside... If I were in your shoes (and I kinda am) I'd be waiting too... (and I am) Yup... as much as I'd like to say I NEED a new machine the reality is I don't (or I'd already have it).

Dave
post #44 of 231
Quote:
I'm a professional illustrator and I'm in the market for a professional machine (obviously a dual g5). The reason why I'm STILL in the market is because of the rev b's on the horizon. Just posting here defeats your idea that "NO creative person" looks at the rumor sites. I need the machine asap, but I dont want to drop the cash on a machine that will be replaced by something more powerful for the same price in another month or two. I just want to get as much for my money as I can. That may be foolish to think that way considering i could be using it now, but hey, we creative people are CRAZY.

You can read my post again where I sais I KNOW of no creative person, blah blah b lah. And thats all I work with. OBVIOUSLY any creative person on AI responding to me will say they do care what the rumor sites say because, DUH, they are posting on AI!! The Mac rumor site headquarters!
post #45 of 231
i heard that outsider. you can be my boy now.
post #46 of 231
For some of us it's not a matter of getting work done more quickly, it's a matter of getting the work done at all.

I compose and sell music (part-time gig) produced with a Mac, soft-samplers, DAW, etc. PC's have had the raw speed for less money edge for a long time. The G5 finally made the Mac a viable alternative for this kind of work.

I have been getting by on a SP 733 G4 Jaguar/Cubase SX/Halion by bouncing tracks, using the lower CPU usage feature in Halion (and rendering at full res.) Now I have a second machine at work - a 2x2 G5. SX 1 and Halion (and from what I hear, Logic) work great now. But more and more sample libraries that I need for my music are only available in copy-protected proprietary sample players. And these players don't stream from disk well, and they hog the whole CPU.

Even on the latest G5 I can't load the number of instruments I need in order to be competitive with orchestral work. Most all of these sample players work fine on a PC, so it's a matter of time before the Mac versions are optimized for Panther/G5, But development is slow, and I need to throw all the horsepower that I can at the problem for now.

So I am waiting for the rev b G5 to replace my older G4 with hopes that I will finally have the same resources on a Mac that are available for PC users. Every little bit will help. Some day, the aps will be optimized and then I will be a very happy camper.
post #47 of 231
No new G5 Powermacs before 26 March 2004:

http://www.apple.com.au/promo/tradeupg5/
post #48 of 231
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stratosfear
[B]No new G5 Powermacs before 26 March 2004:

This seems like some compelling evidence. I hope something happens. Historically (about the last 2 and a half years) according to MacRumors BuyerGuide section, March has been a dry year for new or updated hardware (only 1).
On the other hand January has seen about 3 hardware changes in the past, we had just two this January. Also February has seen one per year. So maybe there is hope for something happening in the next 30 days or so.
I am ready to replace my two aging Macs.
post #49 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Stratosfear

This has been re-re-re-rehashed before. Apple Aus != Apple.

May turn out to be that long a wait, but it would be a coinkeedink I think.
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
1.25GHz 15" SD PowerBook, etc. etc.
15G 3rd Gen iPod

Well i've said it now, nothing's changed
people are burnin for pocket change
and creative minds are lazy
and the big three killed my baby
post #50 of 231
Okay, how about new Power Macs on March 1st?
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #51 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755

Well March 1st is a Monday, so March 2nd is more likely. Plus I'm going to Disneyland that day, so we go that going for us.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #52 of 231
Quote:

Look at the bottom of the page... its Apple Australia and New Zealand... we are not Australia or New Zealand... They got their g5's MONTHS after we did.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #53 of 231
No they didn't. They are getting their iPod minis months later but that was announced by Apple. The G5s were available for order immediately with delivery in the same timeframes as US customers.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #54 of 231
Quote:

the promo ends Feb 28th...how about new G5's on Feb 29th?! you know, a major leap in performance for leap year.

====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
post #55 of 231
Look for IBM shipping chips - then you'll have an idea of what is going to happen.

Reality is that IBM just ramped up production on the new 90 nm chips and initial deliveries are allocated to the XServers. Next in line will be the PM, then the iMac, which is in serious need of a G5.

I think that the allocation of the 90 nm to PMs will be rather fast as Apple will not have a large backorder on the X Servers - with the exception of VT making their switch.

My bet is that IBM will use the time between now and, say, June to work out just how fast it will be able to deliver future speed bumps. Apple Marketing will be working on how to get the Mac Faithful to adjust to significant speed bumps every 3 - 4 months and there will be some hard work on inventory control for speed bumps this fast.

We have been too used to Moto slowing things down. Now we have IBM pumping out some serious iron. Tech specs anticipated for 2005 are included on the 90 nm chips with an initial production quantity delivery within the first 45 days of 2004.
Ken
Ken
post #56 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Telomar
No they didn't. They are getting their iPod minis months later but that was announced by Apple. The G5s were available for order immediately with delivery in the same timeframes as US customers.

A guy I've been talking to over the net since 94 ordered his almost immediately when they were announced. He didnt' receive his until late November. (He lives in Auckland NZ)

Quote:

Quote:

post #57 of 231
Quote:

Quote:

This all makes sense. The bulk of the market (the US) gets Rev B around 1 Feb, whilst in lesser markets, like Aus/NZ, Rev B's are released post 26 March where the current upgrade offer soaks up remaining Rev A stock.

I only know 10 people that get the
binary joke

I only know 10 people that get the
binary joke

post #58 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Look at the bottom of the page... its Apple Australia and New Zealand... we are not Australia or New Zealand... They got their g5's MONTHS after we did.

I am "we are" Australia.

Last time I checked .com doesn't mean .us...

GRIM REAPER:
Shut up! Shut up, you American. You always talk, you Americans. You talk and you talk and say 'let me tell you something' and 'I just wanna say this'. Well, you're dead now, so shut up! - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
post #59 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by daabido
I am "we are" Australia.

Last time I checked .com doesn't mean .us...

GRIM REAPER:
Shut up! Shut up, you American. You always talk, you Americans. You talk and you talk and say 'let me tell you something' and 'I just wanna say this'. Well, you're dead now, so shut up! - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Hey daabido,

The promo was on .com site... which is world wide. But if you look at the bottom of the page... you'll see 2 things. 1... the very very bottom says Apple of Australia. And 2... the requirements state that you MUST take it to either an Australian or New Zealand reseller / seller.

Quote:

Quote:

post #60 of 231
_ posted 02-23-2004 04:40 PM _ _ _ _ _ _ \t _
------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by daabido

GRIM REAPER:
Shut up! Shut up, you American. You always talk, you Americans.

"You American"? ???

Come on...we don't need the "You American" "You Euro ", " You whatever" mentality around here.
post #61 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Beige_G3
...Come on...we don't need the "You American" "You Euro ", " You whatever" mentality around here.

His signature is a quote from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, I assume it is a joke not a serious comment.
post #62 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by concentricity
the promo ends Feb 28th...how about new G5's on Feb 29th?! you know, a major leap in performance for leap year.

i would love for this to be true!!
good call!
post #63 of 231
Do you guys really believe the rumor sites that claim no macs in Feb? I'm not saying they are wrong... but what are they basing that off of? Its looking pretty obvious that Apple won't be releasing the pm's this month... but that quote was projected in the middle of the month... isn't that weird

The dual 2ghz g5's are the last powermacs to be released... yes thats the nightmare I keep having... waking up in a cold sweat... that i'd be on Windows forever (there isn't a crying face)

Quote:

Quote:

post #64 of 231
As we all continue to desperately clutch at straws, here is some more offer related food for thought that does not make happy reading. Apple UK has recently added this little gem for us professionals.

Between February 16th and April 15th, 2004, professional customers based in the UK can lease any Power Mac, PowerBook, Xserve, Xserve RAID or Apple Display over a 24-month period and we will waive the first payment, making the sum of the 23 monthly lease rentals payable during the primary lease term less than the cash price.

Read the rest here
http://www.apple.com/uk/promo/leasingoffer/

Make of it what you will, but this looks like a long wait until a major Summer O4 showcase keynote with Rev B PowerMacs, New Displays, and more.

On the other hand, this could be a stock clearing promo in which case we could see new 3GHZ G5s and 30 Cinema Screens today!!! (said with extreeeeeme sarcasm no flaming!)

I dont know what to think anymore, im going to put myself into cryogenic sleep until Steve gets out his announcement turtle neck.
post #65 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by JCG
His signature is a quote from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, I assume it is a joke not a serious comment.

Sorry for any offence caused. It was genuinely meant to be funny.

Oh, and I stand corrected about the .com issue too. I understand the issue it was refering to now.

GRIM REAPER:
Be quiet! Englishmen, you're all so f***ing pompous, and none of you have got any balls. - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.
post #66 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by mecha
As we all continue to desperately clutch at straws, here is some more offer related food for thought that does not make happy reading. Apple UK has recently added this little gem for us professionals.

Between February 16th and April 15th, 2004, professional customers based in the UK can lease any Power Mac, PowerBook, Xserve, Xserve RAID or Apple Display over a 24-month period and we will waive the first payment, making the sum of the 23 monthly lease rentals payable during the primary lease term less than the cash price.

Read the rest here

Make of it what you will, but this looks like a long wait until a major Summer O4 showcase keynote with Rev B PowerMacs, New Displays, and more.

On the other hand, this could be a stock clearing promo in which case we could see new 3GHZ G5s and 30 Cinema Screens today!!! (said with extreeeeeme sarcasm no flaming!)

I dont know what to think anymore, im going to put myself into cryogenic sleep until Steve gets out his announcement turtle neck.

The only positive spin I can put on this is that it includes the new Xserve, so maybe Apple's intent is to also include the new PowerMac (coming any day now to a store near you...).
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #67 of 231
Steve Jobs' birthday today! I can't think of any better way to celebrate it than to release rev Power Macs. And it's the 24th today on a TUESDAY

My guess: 2nd of March. Things have quiet down around the iPod mini and Pepsi/iTunes promo.

Anyone else?
And what configurations are you expecting? All dual? Dual 2, 2.3 and 2.5 GHz?
post #68 of 231
The biggest issue I have with us waiting until August for new g5's is the fact that g5's are getting big discounts and freebies with it now... Here is a price comparison... notice 4 places are offering the PM g5 under $2900...

MacRumors PriceComparison

Who knows at this point. Whats interesting is they haven't released any promos in the U.S.?? I"m really confused at this point because it seems every other continent has a promo going... weird eh?

My predictions for release...

single 2ghz (130nm)
Dual 2.2ghz (130nm)
Dual 2.5ghz (90nm)

Quote:

Read the rest here

Quote:

Quote:

post #69 of 231
Dangit!!!

I want my G5 PowerMac update !!!

I sold my laptop back in January and figured I'd have a new Mac by now!!!

Hurry up apple... release my PowerMac Rev.B
post #70 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Holistic
Dangit!!!

I want my G5 PowerMac update !!!

I sold my laptop back in January and figured I'd have a new Mac by now!!!

Hurry up apple... release my PowerMac Rev.B

LOL!!! How many of us did that... we should have a forum on that...

I'd be willing to bet most of us coming on this forum every day sold our fastest mac hoping to get a Rev B powermac...

I'm down for 1 vote of selling for new power mac and being macless

Quote:

Quote:

post #71 of 231
Yup!

I had a very respectable DELL machine which I sold in December in anticipation of my switch to Apple. I am now working of my "toy" (a Sony PCG-Z1RMP) which despite being shiny silver and very sexy, is no Rev B PowerMac with Cinema Screen.

I wish I never found out about these forums...I would have a three month old Dual 2gz G5 with 23" HD Cinema Screen now, with one of these on my face!!

As it is...... I have this face -
post #72 of 231
Quote:
They better be announced by the end of March and they better be shipping within two weeks! I'm getting tired of waiting and I've been waiting for almost 2 months.

The world quakes ar Leonard's wrath!
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #73 of 231
Quote:
Yup!

I had a very respectable DELL machine which I sold in December in anticipation of my switch to Apple. I am now working of my "toy" (a Sony PCG-Z1RMP) which despite being shiny silver and very sexy, is no Rev B PowerMac with Cinema Screen.

I wish I never found out about these forums...I would have a three month old Dual 2gz G5 with 23" HD Cinema Screen now, with one of these on my face!!

As it is...... I have this face -

Hey mecha... I'm sure you'll have one of these on your face when you're laffing at all of your peecee friends when you get your new dual 2.5 g5

It'll come ... just wait. Ever hear the phrase... the longer you wait.. the more its worth when you get it...

I'm sure we'll be happy kidz when they come out.

Quote:

Quote:

post #74 of 231
Quote:
laffing

alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #75 of 231
Quote:
single 2ghz (130nm)
Dual 2.2ghz (130nm)
Dual 2.5ghz (90nm)

that would be stupid after all the R & D to only have one model on the 90nm... i say at best, only the low end will be on the 130, but i bet the whole line will be 90.
post #76 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac:
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647:
single 2ghz (130nm)
Dual 2.2ghz (130nm)
Dual 2.5ghz (90nm)

that would be stupid after all the R & D to only have one model on the 90nm... i say at best, only the low end will be on the 130, but i bet the whole line will be 90.

The only reasons I could think to retain a 130 nm part in the product line at all would be if (a) it is cheaper (unlikely given die size), or (b) they need to dump a bunch of stockpiled parts. The latter scenario seems more likely, though I don't know if it's really probable.

Makes you wonder, though, about the incredibly short lifetime of the original 970. The 970FX would seem to improve on the 970 in every way. Who will buy the 970's now? Will they discontinue it, or put it on the "not recommended for new designs" list? Perhaps IBM will dump off its remaining stock at steep discounts, in which case a few might find their way into Apple products (but only until they run out, after which the 970FX will be substituted.)

Kind of an interesting question, at least to me.
post #77 of 231
Ok, this may sound stupid but I can imagine Apple doing something similar to this. If next tuesday would be the release date for PowerMacs Apple's front page would read "Super Tuesday" or something, considering the Democratic primarys. Just a thought.

PowerMac updates next Tuesday: Super Tuesday
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
post #78 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiahtosh
Ok, this may sound stupid but I can imagine Apple doing something similar to this. If next tuesday would be the release date for PowerMacs Apple's front page would read "Super Tuesday" or something, considering the Democratic primarys. Just a thought.

i'll be a happy guy if there are new pmacs on tuesday
post #79 of 231
we're becoming a desperate group around here! hehehe
post #80 of 231
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiahtosh

it'll be more like "Tuesday Pro" or "Tuesday Express"
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › No new PowerMacs until March?