Originally posted by Messiahtosh
No, Apple should not do that. I think there needs to be an interim release before the 3 GHz barrier is broken. Everything is stale right now.
I never said it was what they should do. What I meant was I wouldn't put it past Apple to do it that way.
Nevertheless. How many new PowerMac updates do you foresee in the next 4 months then 2? If we get an interim update in late March it will postpone any update way past WWDC because they wont update the PowerMac every 2 months. You also have to take into consideration that Steve Jobs knows we all (Mac users, PC users, and the Press) are going to be waiting to see how that WWDC 3GHz Pre-announcement from 2003 is going to turn out. It would be a huge sh*t storm of bad publicity not only for Apple, but IBM as well if there was no 3GHz, or better by WWDC.
Actually now that I think about it. If Apple, and IBM did do it the way I said we would probably have a better chance at faster PowerMacs sooner.
Apple could possibly have faster processors in hand that they may not have originally intended to use in more quantity originally because there would not have been enough of them if they confined them self's to doing two revs of the PowerMac. It also gives Apple, and IBM time to prepare. Apple would likely be able to prepare for orders, and any other modifications to the boards, and/or devices that we have no idea about such as new video cards (hopefully), and maybe a move PCI-Express (but I doubt the latter).
I think Apple knows how annoying it is to us when they announce something, and the actual release/shipping date is another 2 months down the road. Two weeks is more acceptable, and if they delay just the PowerMac, and updated some of the other lagging lines for the reasons I mentioned we would be better off in the end. I think.
It also gives you more time to save up for it.