or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › ATi driver updates

ATi driver updates

post #1 of 8
ATi just released updates, and so did Apple (although TomeViewer makes these updates seem a bit dusty, they're from August, and AGP only apparently?)

I haven't seen a topic on this.. I'm surprised! Anyone out there tried this in a Blue & White G3 rev 1, or a new iceBook (Dual USB)??

If only I was rich enough for AGP or a new Retail ATi card. So, does the "Retail" update help Blue & White G3's with the original card, or the new iBook?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #2 of 8
[quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:
<strong>ATi just released updates, and so did Apple (although TomeViewer makes these updates seem a bit dusty, they're from August, and AGP only apparently?)

I haven't seen a topic on this.. I'm surprised! Anyone out there tried this in a Blue & White G3 rev 1, or a new iceBook (Dual USB)??

If only I was rich enough for AGP or a new Retail ATi card. So, does the "Retail" update help Blue & White G3's with the original card, or the new iBook?</strong><hr></blockquote>

This update is for G4's w/AGP 4x only...and is for OS 9.
post #3 of 8
The update from ATI will update drivers in both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X 10.1.x. It provides support back to the Rage128 cards I believe. So you really just need to have an ATI card on your box, and this update will work. If you want to have updated drivers in both OS 9 and OS X, you must run the installer once in Mac OS X, and once in Mac OS 9.
post #4 of 8
I installed the update on my iBook 600 12.1" combo, and I haven't noticed any performance increase. The iBook seems to be somewhat buggy as well. Like when I unplugged the AV cable from the TV after the display sleep was triggered, and I couldn't get the display to wake up without a reboot. Also, today, window redraw got screwed up totally, with the window drawing and leaving a trail of multiple copies of itself as I dragged it around the screen; all windows were affected. I relaunched the finder, no effect. Then logged out and back in - nothing. I restarted the iBook, and now it seems fine. Note that I've had no trouble with this iBook until I installed the ATi retail update. Although I'm not certain that the update is the cause of the "buggy" behavior", it's the only thing I've installed recently.
17" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz, 128MB vram, 80 GB 5400 RPM HD, 2 GB DDR RAM, 200 GB LaCie D2 Extreme FW800 HD, M-Audio Sonica Theater USB Sound Card, Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra, Logitech MX 510, Apple...
17" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz, 128MB vram, 80 GB 5400 RPM HD, 2 GB DDR RAM, 200 GB LaCie D2 Extreme FW800 HD, M-Audio Sonica Theater USB Sound Card, Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra, Logitech MX 510, Apple...
post #5 of 8
I would strongly suspect that a laptop is the last place you want to put a retail video driver; you can't get more OEM than a chip that's soldered to the motherboard. It would not surprise me if ATI doesn't even test the retail drivers with the laptops.
post #6 of 8
Is there any way to "uninstall" the update?
post #7 of 8
I have a G4/466 with an Nvidia card, and given the balkiness of the drivers so far, I have usually made backup copies when updating them. What you do -- if you have a backup copy of the drivers -- is simply go into the extensions folder and replace the new ATI extensions with the old ones. (take the bad ones out of the extensions folder and put them in a separate file, then place the good ones in the extensions file, and they will take effect on restart). If you don't have a backup copy, check on the Apple site to see if they have recently posted an ATI driver update of their own; I would strongly suspect they have. Then use Apple's ATI driver installer to put the OEM drivers on the computer. If that's not an option, then you'll either have to do a Software Restore; or a system reinstall; or, if you're more technically proficient than I am, use Tome Viewer to extract the ATI drivers from the Apple system CD and deal with it that way.
post #8 of 8
That sounds easy enough to me. Thanks.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › ATi driver updates