or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple Hypes MWSF 2002

Apple Hypes MWSF 2002 - Page 4  

post #121 of 1762
WHAT ARE THEY DOING!?!?!? I just woke up and decided to check the apple page, expecting them to just say "6 days, this is big, even by our standards"... i thought that they would just count down the numbers with the same tease underneath it.... now this... i remember an apple store employee telling me months ago that Steve had mentioned having something up his sleeve for the next Macworld... i totally forgot about him telling me this until just now. For a company that has tried to diffuse hype in the past (Paris etc), this is getting VERY exciting
post #122 of 1762
Count on being blown away? They'd better hope it's good enough to do that.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #123 of 1762
i am slowly going insane....i now think that they may up-grade everything---

iBook---700 Mhz G3 across the board w/ Hd or 20 g-DVD/ 20g cd-rw / 30g Combo

Power Book---Apollo Chip--speed bump--

iMac---LCD---Apollo Chip G4---cd-rw/combo/superdrive (who was the crazy poster who said the new iMac will get a G5??? dang...that would be a dream)

Power Mac---G5--1.0/ 1.4/ Dual 1.2---all with superdrive (thou the 1.0 might get a combo only---though if top iMac gets superdrive, then all Power Mac will probably get superdrive)

will all the hype, and now with Apple itself jumping in, i don't think it would be strange for them to go all out and just say, we've got all this great stuff, we are up-dating everything we make...come and buy it.....

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #124 of 1762
We're getting G5s. If we weren't, then with all the rumors going around, Apple wouldn't come out like this on their front page - everyone would expect G5s and when they didn't come there'd be major letdown.

Let me say it again - we're getting G5s.
Microsoft knows what's best for you, so keep quiet, open your wallet, and be a team player.
Microsoft knows what's best for you, so keep quiet, open your wallet, and be a team player.
post #125 of 1762
I wonder if the person creating the splash screen count down for this even knows what's coming out...I am guessing not hahaha
post #126 of 1762
Motorola's site lists the MPC7XXX series processors. Right now there are only the 7451, 7450, 7441, 7440, 7410 and 7400 processors...meaning all of those processors would fit withing the classification MPC74XX.

So is Apple going to announce the Motorola MPC75XX 'G5' processors next Monday...hmm?

The MPC8XXX series processors look like they aren't at all suited for personal computers, but a lot of the tech from those processors will probably be seen in an MPC75XX...hmm...

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #127 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by Jared:
<strong>I wonder if the person creating the splash screen count down for this even knows what's coming out...I am guessing not hahaha </strong><hr></blockquote>

HAHAHAAH now that would be really funny! All this for nothing!!
Although, steve would not want people to be dissapointed, so...
It's a toss up...
Either way, there has to be something....

-Paul
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #128 of 1762
Here's a countdown to MWSF for all you guys.

<a href="http://www.cowofwar.com/blocks/test.html" target="_blank">countdown</a>

It counts down in realtime. The normal counter is on my main page on the right.

//End shameless site plug

In my opinion Apple is going to have to release the g5s. Why would they create so much expectation only to release an iMac with a new LCD display. It doesn't make sense. Either the G5s are going to be released with a whole new form factor along with the iMacs or Apple has some new revolutionary product that can hold its own.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: cowofwar ]</p>
-Moo to you too!
<a href="http://www.cowofwar.com" target="_blank">www.cowofwar.com</a>
-Moo to you too!
<a href="http://www.cowofwar.com" target="_blank">www.cowofwar.com</a>
post #129 of 1762
I'm betting on the new iMac having a tablet functionality. That would warrant this sort of hype. I have no idea on that topic though and that is really just a wish

As for G5s...well that I can't say anything much about. Maybe they will maybe they won't. I wouldn't count on it though.

My assumption would be not the processor upgrades that steal the show but the functionality of some design or device being what the hype is about. Don't count on anything more.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #130 of 1762
This has to be big. There just have been too many G5 rumors for Apple to tell people to get ready to be blown away for an LCD iMac and a 1.2 Ghz G4 PowerMac.

Remember, the G5 rumors were even mentioned in an article on CNN's website.
post #131 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by Telomar:
<strong>I'm betting on the new iMac having a tablet functionality. That would warrant this sort of hype. I have no idea on that topic though and that is really just a wish </strong><hr></blockquote>

When will Microsoft's Tablet PC be released? (we all know that it can do half of what B.G. showed when they announced the damn thing ).
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #132 of 1762
I think the new iMac will have features not yet seen on a consumer computer.
Don't forget there is going to be some interesting new Software as well.
Even though SJ has not used the , "one more thing" line in the last several MacWorlds.. contrary to popular belief, I believe this time he will. It will be a product nobody has a clue on outside of Apple. Things are getting very interesting.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #133 of 1762
Acccording to Apple's web site:

Count the days...
Count the minutes...
Count on being blown away...

Are they three statements a hint that there will be three new products announced (PowerMac G5, LCD iMac, & Digital Device)???

This must be big. In a few days, the non-Macintosh press will counting down with all of us.

Thanks
post #134 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by Dave K.:
<strong>Acccording to Apple's web site:

Count the days...
Count the minutes...
Count on being blown away...

Are they three statements a hint that there will be three new products announced (PowerMac G5, LCD iMac, & Digital Device)???
</strong><hr></blockquote>

No it isn´t. Sorry.

[quote]
<strong>
This must be big. In a few days, the non-Macintosh press will counting down with all of us.

Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don´t really count on it.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #135 of 1762
cowofwar- Your counter is nice, but its 3 hours off. The keynote starts at 12 PM EST, not 9 AM. It's 9 AM PST.

I can't believe Apple is hyping this even more. I mean, I thought it was hard to believe when I made this thread. Now there has to be something huge at MWSF if they're going to do this every day.
post #136 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by Anders:
<strong>

Don´t really count on it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you have proof or are you just being pessimistic (to avoid a let down)? Hopefully, there will be FIVE more announcements like this coming. Mac OS X wasn't even hyped like this event. I really think this is TRUELY going to be big.
post #137 of 1762
Anders is looking at this board and it's wild predictions. He sees Apple possibly over hyping this event, and wants to make sure that people take the rumors posted with a grain of salt rather than believing them because its so hyped up by Apple.
post #138 of 1762
"Count the days. Count the minutes. Count on being blown away."

Hmm... overhyping? Or is there really something "blowing us away"?
post #139 of 1762
OMG I just figured out what it is. You just have to read their clues litterally

[quote]This one is big. Even by our standards<hr></blockquote>

They mean big as in actual physical size, not as important.

[quote]Count the days. Count the minutes. Count on being blown away.<hr></blockquote>

See what I mean? Count the time and be blown away.

Those two clue can only mean one thing: A doomsdays devise. Perhaps the days and minutes part means that it won´t blow up before Apple reaches a certaint low of marked share, like 1%. And the hype is to let everyone know this so in fear of their lifes will buy Macs.
post #140 of 1762
[quote]Do you have proof or are you just being pessimistic (to avoid a let down)? Hopefully, there will be FIVE more announcements like this coming. Mac OS X wasn't even hyped like this event. I really think this is TRUELY going to be big. <hr></blockquote>

Okay. Here's what we know:

The PowerBook G4 will not be recieving an upgrade. It was just bumped about a week ago to include the combo drives, and even BTOs are 5 day shipping. Does Apple reallly want to make people who just bought a new TiBook for full price right after it came out angry by releasing a 733 MHz TiBook? Maybe they will do this, but the cost will have to be around $3700.

But the biggest deal about the TiBook not getting a bump is when it was bumped. That was last week. Why would Apple release a 'new' (I know, it's just a combo drive/more RAM), TiBook just a few days before Macworld? If Steve truly didn't have anything to show off at MWSF, he would have saved the TiBook bump for his keynote.

We are also pretty sure that the iPod isn't going to get bumped. It was just introduced over a month ago, and seems to be a big hit. So count the iPod out (but not another digitial device, perhaps).

So that leaves the rest of the product lines:

iMac
iBook
Power Mac

Apple also could deal with it's iSoftware, as well as expanding the product line.
post #141 of 1762
Hey wait a minute. Why is the hours missing. Count days and minutes? It MUST be an Apple watch with a new universal time standard, AppleBites, where you only count minutes, not hours, and based on Cupertino time and from the year and day of the the first mac. So right now the time is 18MY1D356 AB. That must be it.
post #142 of 1762
This is really hard to judge. If it is just us dreaming on these boards, making up ideas with no consequences, then we could blow all the usual smoke. However, Apple is a publicly traded company which has to live up to the consequences of its proclomations. Look how bad it was for them last summer when the expectations were driven solely by outside forces. For Apple to raise expectations on their own their must be something substantial behind this. It may not be the G5 but it has to be something substantial.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #143 of 1762
I just wanted to say that stevie boy must have some friggin huge b@lls by telling it's customers on their Apple.com homepage to get ready for being blown away®
:: Macbook pro
:: iPhone 3G
:: iPad
:: Macbook pro
:: iPhone 3G
:: iPad
post #144 of 1762
Ok, let's say we should be interpreting these little "hints" literally... the first one, "This One is Big, Even by Our Standards"

So what does Apple make that's 'big' or even 'bigger' than it's competitors? How about the Cinema Display? At 22" it's pretty a pretty big flat screen, so maybe Apple plans on coming out with an even bigger one? Hmmm?

And now we have "Count the Days, Count the Minutes, Count on Being Blown Away." What could one use to "count the days?" An Apple PDA perhaps? I doubt it, but it's the most logical, outside of an Apple watch, lol, and that would hardly blow anyone away.

any other ideas?

ciao,

michael
my other signature is witty
my other signature is witty
post #145 of 1762
The real facts are that nobody on this forum knows what Apple has in store. The only time info has been correct is when it is leaked out the day before an Expo. We're involved in an excercise in futility.
Now, it's a beautiful day outside here in South Florida and I'm going to spend time with family and friends. Monday will be here soon enough and we'll all know the truth then (and there will be the usual disappoinments from folks who will never be satisfied with anything Apple does. You know who you are!
post #146 of 1762
well, steve and his cronies must be watching these boards and loving it. man-o-man, they've whipped us into a frenzy, and there's STILL SIX DAYS LEFT!

remember, hype like this has not been done since the days of "Pro, Go, Whoa" - remember that? the night before the unveiling of the original iMac? and they only devoted ONE NIGHT to that hype...

my only prediction (for what it's worth):
new iMac form factor with LCD (yeah, essentially what everyone already knows, so it ain't much of a prediction - anymore classified info., though, and i would have to kill you).

thought i don't "think" that's enough to warrant this sort of hype, so that can only be part of the grand scheme...
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #147 of 1762
The Apple site seems to be down.

9:44am CST
post #148 of 1762
I can't get it either, and my mac.com email is all screwed up...
post #149 of 1762
I remember an interview with Jobs about a year ago He was talking about Apple's new focus on killer apps. At one point he mentions that one of the upcoming apps is the best thing Apple has ever done. That's a bold statement. Apple created the PC market. Apple popularized the GUI computer. What next? Could this killer app be part of the big announcement?
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #150 of 1762
yep, apple's been slashdotted six days early (hope they're happy - geeks feed on hype).

and murk, i assumed that app was itunes.

post #151 of 1762
Don't forget rack mount OS X (G5?) workgroup servers! This WILL happen, as I have spoken to sources who can confirm this. But will it happen at MWSF02? My guess is "YES!"
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #152 of 1762
And why is apple.com down now? :eek:
--
The draught is over.
Get ready to fight back for the Mac.
--
The draught is over.
post #153 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by murbot:
<strong>I can't get it either, and my mac.com email is all screwed up...</strong><hr></blockquote>

My guess, they put there homepage on a new G5 for testing purposes

Anyway, i'm already eating my keyboard from the tension this is creating ;o)
Does anyone have the info regarding receiving the keynote through satelite

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: iCom ]</p>
post #154 of 1762
connect.apple.com is down as well.
J.C. Corbin, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Member, Apple Consultants Network
www.ro3.com
J.C. Corbin, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Member, Apple Consultants Network
www.ro3.com
post #155 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>

Okay. Here's what we know:

The PowerBook G4 will not be recieving an upgrade. It was just bumped about a week ago to include the combo drives, and even BTOs are 5 day shipping. Does Apple reallly want to make people who just bought a new TiBook for full price right after it came out angry by releasing a 733 MHz TiBook? Maybe they will do this, but the cost will have to be around $3700.

But the biggest deal about the TiBook not getting a bump is when it was bumped. That was last week. Why would Apple release a 'new' (I know, it's just a combo drive/more RAM), TiBook just a few days before Macworld? If Steve truly didn't have anything to show off at MWSF, he would have saved the TiBook bump for his keynote.

We are also pretty sure that the iPod isn't going to get bumped. It was just introduced over a month ago, and seems to be a big hit. So count the iPod out (but not another digitial device, perhaps).

So that leaves the rest of the product lines:

iMac
iBook
Power Mac

Apple also could deal with it's iSoftware, as well as expanding the product line.</strong><hr></blockquote>

err... the iBook is only a week older than the iPod, so both iBook and iPod have the same amout of likeliness of being updated.

And could somebody explain to me the meaning of "Pro. Go. Whoa."?

Thanks folks.

Only 6 days and 33 minutes left. Oh God.

Greets
olli_g
--
The draught is over.
--
The draught is over.
post #156 of 1762
[quote]err... the iBook is only a week older than the iPod, so both iBook and iPod have the same amout of likeliness of being updated.<hr></blockquote>

Yes, but we're not seeing the hints about the iPod that we are about the iBook. Just too many thing leading to an iBook update.

I'm certain it will get some kind of revision. I'd bet $100 on it. (see my other thread in this forum)
post #157 of 1762
Today's the day here in Europe that 12 countries will have their currency replaced with the Euro ( &lt;-- everybody who doesn't see this Euro symbol is lame :cool: ). Perhaps that's the reason, they're probably just updating their servers, because the other international Apple-Servers (e.g. Switzerland) don't work neither.

Damn.

Only 6 days and 25 minutes left. Oh God.

Greets
olli_g
--
The draught is over.
--
The draught is over.
post #158 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by olli_g:
<strong>Today's the day here in Europe that 12 countries will have their currency replaced with the Euro ( &lt;-- everybody who doesn't see this Euro symbol is lame :cool: ). Perhaps that's the reason, they're probably just updating their servers, because the other international Apple-Servers (e.g. Switzerland) don't work neither.

Damn.

Only 6 days and 25 minutes left. Oh God.

Greets
olli_g</strong><hr></blockquote>

They did that a long time ago, the store was offline during a whole week . Even a few days later they adjusted the prices on some models .
post #159 of 1762
OMG!! I just discovered the secret!

Convert "This one is big. Even by our standards." to Hexadecimal. Then, figure the ASCII characters, and it comes out as:

"New LCD iMac."

I swear to God!

Then, do the same for: "Count the Days, Count the Minutes, Count on Being Blown Away," but first translate these words to Latin. Then look up the verses in the Bible that correspond to the binary translation of the Latin. Convert those Bible verses to the Hebrew numerical equivalents, and then back to the English alphabet, and you get:

"¶*2Æ;' H& Â$¬¬¬*04"
post #160 of 1762
Arrrggghhhh, Im going insane, Im gonna spill....

Powermac

Low
---
867MHZ Apollo G4 (1MB L3) 256MB DDR GF2MX32MB CDRW/comboBTO $1499

Low Mid
-------
Dual 1GHZ Apollo (2MB L3) 256MB DDR GF2MX SDrive $1899

Mid
---
Single 1.4GHZ G5 (512K L2 2MB L3) 512mb DDR 64MB GF3 Superdrive $2499

High
----
Dual 1.2 GHZ G5 (512K L2 2MB l3) 512mb DDR 64MB GF3 Superdrive $3499

iMac
----
Low
---
733Mhz G3, 128MB PC133 Rage 128+ CRT CDRW $799

Low Mid
867 G3 256MB PC133 Radeon CRT Combodrive $1099

Imac2
-----
800MHZ G4Apollo 256MB PC133 Radoen LCD 1280*960 Combo $1299

933MHZ Apollo 512 MB PC133 Radeon Superdrive LCD 1280*960 $1599

---------------------------
Going into hiding shortly
---------------------------
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple Hypes MWSF 2002