or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple Hypes MWSF 2002

Apple Hypes MWSF 2002 - Page 3  

post #81 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:
<strong>

They didn't hype MWNY 2001 anymore then the other MWNYs. I've been to every one in NY and there were no more posters then usual. In fact there's one huge ass giant iPod banner thats the size of a building in Time Square right now. Plus another one a few blocks away. I think they're hyping the current iPod more then they hyped MWNY this past summer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

are you kidding? Apple's advertising was 10X greater for MWNY 2001 than ever before. even local news stations had segments on how expansive their billboard campaign was for this year's. obviously something big was planned for MWNY and wasn't ready.

I think Apple even said how much they spent on ads for MWNY
post #82 of 1762
So what's with all the G5 skepticism? There seem to be a majority (although not vast) who don't believe that the G5 will be released this coming quarter (SF or tokyo).

I must admit I am a doubter myself but only based on the constant pessimism i never shake

What's everyone else's reasons for doubting the G5 release?
post #83 of 1762
I doubt it will be released so I will be surprised when it is.
post #84 of 1762
key to know if a G5 is coming....

if one of the flat screens on stage has a desktop with an athlon on it.

they would never put a G4 against an athlon.
post #85 of 1762
I have to believe that Apple will deliver in SF.

Many say Apple dissapointed in NY. While Apple did not try to dampen enthusiasm, they in no way hyped the thing up themselves.

Then, Apple made the announcement of no new hardware before the aborted Apple Expo Paris.

The iPod was just announced in a quick 2 sentence wording by Anderson in an analyst briefing. Yes, some invitations were given out. No hype on the website where most of the mainstream venture too.

Just some thoughts on the subject.

Cobra
post #86 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>key to know if a G5 is coming....

if one of the flat screens on stage has a desktop with an athlon on it.

they would never put a G4 against an athlon.</strong><hr></blockquote>So, you're giving hints to look for DURING the keynote?

OK, here's another hint - if Jobs has a slide that says "G5" on it. They would never put "G5" up there if they weren't going to introduce a G5.
post #87 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by BRussell:
<strong>So, you're giving hints to look for DURING the keynote?

OK, here's another hint - if Jobs has a slide that says "G5" on it. They would never put "G5" up there if they weren't going to introduce a G5.</strong><hr></blockquote>

heh heh.....

I am REALLY starting to get excited about this. I think Apple is aware of all the "oh WTF?" comments making the rounds after they hyped up the iPod - a lot of people were disappointed after finding out it was only a MP3 player.

For that reason alone, I have to think Apple is going to do something really, really HUGE Jan 7. They know it's going to blow us all away, and they are not afraid to hype the hell out of it. They know they are going to deliver.

G4 iMac with a 15" LCD and a G5.

Just my 2 cents, even if they do carry less weight than a Meader update...

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
post #88 of 1762
<strong>

are you kidding? Apple's advertising was 10X greater for MWNY 2001 than ever before. even local news stations had segments on how expansive their billboard campaign was for this year's. obviously something big was planned for MWNY and wasn't ready.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I remember this. Wasn't this the first time in a long while that TechTV covered the keynote with a live broadcast? I remember the negative comments they made throughout it. We really let them have it even though part of us agreed with them. Anyway, the hype for this expo is far greater. Still, I think in Apple's view it could simply be for the new iMacs and nothing more. G4 speedbumps breaking the Gigahertz barrier but no G5, not that I wouldn't mind seeing that.
Stuck in an infinite loop waiting for an Apple PDA...

apple.otaku

apple.otaku
post #89 of 1762
I'm tellin ya guys...if they release an LCD iMac and break the GHz barrier with the G4, that would be more than enough (in their minds) to warrant this kind of hype. Let's not forget through all of this, that Steve really is full of himself.

Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #90 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by Moogs :
<strong>I'm tellin ya guys...if they release an LCD iMac and break the GHz barrier with the G4, that would be more than enough (in their minds) to warrant this kind of hype. Let's not forget through all of this, that Steve really is full of himself.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

and that's exactly why they are saying that it is big even for their standards.

normally an LCD iMac and a G4 breaking 1 Ghz would be big for apple. but this is bigger. that's why they say bigger than their standards.
post #91 of 1762
<strong>normally an LCD iMac and a G4 breaking 1 Ghz would be big for apple. but this is bigger. that's why they say bigger than their standards.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What about pre-loading osX as default? That would be a huge deal at Apple. Maybe they found a way to really speed up classic?

-Paul
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #92 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by psantora:
<strong>

What about pre-loading osX as default? That would be a huge deal at Apple. Maybe they found a way to really speed up classic?

-Paul</strong><hr></blockquote>

neither of those seem like anything to hype up.
post #93 of 1762
<strong>

I think Apple even said how much they spent on ads for MWNY</strong><hr></blockquote>

Every single banner said "I &lt; apple&gt; NY" Thats it.
I didn't see any products on banners, no think different banners and no iMacs painted on the sides of buses (as in previous years).
I still think MWNY wasn't over hyped.
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
post #94 of 1762
I will still be happy if they have 1.2Ghz and DDR ram. This will require an new mobo and have other goodies.
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #95 of 1762
Apple Corporation Reinvents the World Wide Web:
<a href="http://www.apple.com/scitech/stories/skycorp/index2.html" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/scitech/stories/skycorp/index2.html</a>

The best I can do; I'm spent.

Happy New Year (be it 'twenty oh two' or 'two thousand and two') to one and to all. You are one of the best, interesting collections of intellects that I've encountered. Would have been a blast to have been in the same dorm with y'all.

Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #96 of 1762
[quote] What about pre-loading osX as default? That would be a huge deal at Apple. <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, they are going to install OS X and OS 9 on all new Macs, like they do now, but the Startup Disk control panel will be set to boot from OS X instead of OS 9. Astounding.

You called it, dude! This explains all the hype coming from Apple. What a revolutionary change.
post #97 of 1762
I think Apple would actually be pretty hypocritical for patting itself on the back for breaking the mythical 1 GHZ barrier.

Hasn't Apple in the past said clock speed means nothing?

A G4 1 GHZ announcement would go over like a lead balloon.

A totally new G5 would be quite different though. Its something new.

I suspect that Apple has been begging Moto to keep hush. Any G5 desktop chip announcement by Moto would just be pre-announcing a new Powermac by Apple.

All the writeups by the press would read like this:

"Apple FINALLY gets the G4's past 1 GHZ".

Not extremely flattering.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Cobra ]</p>
post #98 of 1762
the one thing i have yet to see mentioned here is "GigaWire" this may be somehting big...... it is a whole new technology that apple has trademarked and we all know nothing about it yet. what better way to introduce it to the world than on a new flat panel iMac and new PowerMacs......

also. think of this. if the rumor is true of Steve keynoting CES later that same week I think whatever this big thing is has to be an industry type of impact not just new Mac desktop machines....

also don't forget that we have yet to see iPicture (another apple trademark)

[correctd iPhoto to iPicture]

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: macXusr ]</p>
post #99 of 1762
1.) Wouldn't there have to be a patent for gigawire if it were a new apple technology? or does a trademark cover that?
2.) I don't think Apple has a trademark on iPhoto. iPhoto is some kind of seminar by another company with apple I think

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
post #100 of 1762
iPhoto was a seminar with mulitple companies- a solutions type of seminar where different companies offered different services.

Or something like that. It was never an 'iapp'
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #101 of 1762
I believe they have a trademark for iPicture, not iPhoto.

apple.otaku

apple.otaku
post #102 of 1762
It was all of the news sites, not Apple who hyped the iPod. Apple just stated that they were going to release a breakthrough digital device at a press conference.

I, for one, believe that the G5 will be coming in 6 days, 10 hours, and 22 minutes.

I've gone through enough let downs, one more won't be any different. I don't think I can remember Apple making such a big deal out of MacWorld like this one.
post #103 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by RevEvs:
<strong>

Well I changed my time zone to PST and it went back 8hours....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Try <a href="http://www.worldtime.org" target="_blank">www.worldtime.org</a> -- Its invaluable.

Michael
post #104 of 1762

OK, here's another hint - if Jobs has a slide that says "G5" on it. They would never put "G5" up there if they weren't going to introduce a G5.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unless of course he is announcing the release of the G5 public beta by the end of summer.

Michael
post #105 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by mmurray:
<strong>

Try <a href="http://www.worldtime.org" target="_blank">www.worldtime.org</a> -- Its invaluable.

Michael</strong><hr></blockquote>

The other good thing for Mac OS X is
@-time. Search for it on VersionTracker.
It give you a little floating window with up four times on it.

Michael
post #106 of 1762

well before too.

before the keynote the camera for the stream/satelite always panns the auditorium and shows the LCD screens and their desktops. you can sort of tell what demonstrations will be based on the desktops.

at least I find myself doing it. never said you had too

post #107 of 1762
steve will pull off his face to reveal himself in all his glory, william gates. and laugh his ass off as mac os x actively "updates" itself via the internet connections of thousands to windows xp.

you heard it from me first, folks. just remember.

i just don't know what could get apple to promote this keynote THIS MUCH. i mean, they throw everyone into a tizzy by moving the keynote to monday, then plaster it all over apple.com. sure hope akamai's servers are ready for the "slashdot" effect come next monday. i am beginning to think that as the apple turns may be the closest, where apple doesn't have any ONE thing massively earth-shattering... they just have a TON of mid-range announcements. new imac, speed bumps across the line, gigawire, ipicture, os x as default. i mean, hell, that's a LOT of potential news stuff!

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: rok ]</p>
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #108 of 1762
[What happened applenut? Did you grow tied of defending the bronx judicial system?

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #109 of 1762
If iPod is 'revolutionary' than a new LCD iMac is 'big' even by their standards. Don't get me wrong, iPod is wicked cool, but I'd say it's 'evolutionary', not revolutionary. So, if this is 'big', then reduce your expectations a notch, and you'll be on the right path.

Since the wackjobs predict G5's and G4 iMacs, I'm gonna dial it back to LCD iMac G3's and 1 GHz DDRRAM G4 Powermacs. My darkhorse candidate is an Apple branded digital camera, with quicktime capabilities and a new photosuite.

This G5 brouhaha? Fuggetaboutit. Newton2? Nah. iWalk? Don't make me laugh.

Remember, hoping for something IS NOT the same as predicting something. Otherwise, my supermodel/chef/Ph.D./sexually insatiable/totally devoted girlfriends would be a reality, too.

SdC
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
post #110 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by Majuki:
<strong>It was all of the news sites, not Apple who hyped the iPod. Apple just stated that they were going to release a breakthrough digital device at a press conference.

.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In my opinion calling an MP3 player with a HD and firewire a `breatkthrough digital device' is hyping. At the very least it gives you a measure of what these people mean by `revolutionary' which might not be a lot.

Michael
post #111 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by mmurray:
<strong>

In my opinion calling an MP3 player with a HD and firewire a `breatkthrough digital device' is hyping. At the very least it gives you a measure of what these people mean by `revolutionary' which might not be a lot.

Michael</strong><hr></blockquote>

watch the iPod unveiling. Jobs went over the 4 breakthroughs. Most of them I think most people who know anything would agree with.
post #112 of 1762
Apple's main page now says:

Count the days. Count the minutes. Count on being blown away.

apple.otaku

apple.otaku
post #113 of 1762
6 days...mmmm, and a new slogan each day.
post #114 of 1762
Count the minutes. Count the Days. Count on being blown away.....

now they are just toying with us...bastards

i wanna know now.......g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #115 of 1762

OK... Something fishy is going on here...
THEY MUST BE WATCHING.. IBM/M$FT=Big Brother? BULLSHIT!!
Unless of course Apple is being bought out??
-Paul

Edit: wording

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: psantora ]

Edit: conspiracy theroy

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: psantora ]</p>
post #116 of 1762
i was hoping for a new slogan everyday...it's why i checked right at midnight pacific coast time....you know, they may as well tell us now what's coming out....who's gonna buy an apple between now and the 7th anyway??? none of us, and now nobody who goes to apple.com either since they are hinting (like a shovel to the head) that big things are coming down the pipe....g

ps...SJ, if you let us know now, i promise to still be "Wowed" by your keynote speech and presentation....you have my word and promise as thegelding....g
post #117 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by thegelding:
<strong>ps...SJ, if you let us know now, i promise to still be "Wowed" by your keynote speech and presentation....you have my word and promise as thegelding....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

no way, Steve wants his surprise, thats what it is all about... like you said, bastards...
hehe what the hell are we talking about? It is just a friggin computer!

-Paul
post #118 of 1762
<a href="http://www.apple.com/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/</a>

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: louismg ]</p>
post #119 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by louismg:
<strong><a href="http://www.apple.com/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/</a>

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: louismg ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

now that just took too much effort...

Any chance someone could peek ahead to the next 6 days' slogans?

-Paul
post #120 of 1762
[quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:
<strong>Well, since that banner has to be changed for tomorrow... Do you think they will be doing any hint dropping?

6 Days till MacWorld... "Insert some hint" :eek:

Dave

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm, between Dave's post and Fran's subject (General hype, not focusing on the "Big"), I think we have 2 candidates for people who can see the future?? Any chance you guys will tell us what we are in for?

-Paul
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple Hypes MWSF 2002