or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Terrorist attack in spain : 200 people killed, 1500 wounded
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Terrorist attack in spain : 200 people killed, 1500 wounded

post #1 of 163
Thread Starter 
4 terrible bombings occured in spanish suburban trains near Madrid : more than 190 peoples where killed. This is the most terrible terrorist attack in the whole spain history. 1200 people are wounded. The situation is terrible in Madrid.

There is a lot of chance that ETA made it. ETA is very unpopular now in spain, and it will not help them. Killing innocents people (the average guy who take train to go to work) is ugly. .

It's time for this terrorist group to die.

Update : Batasuna the ex politic branch of ETA said that it was not ETA, but AL quaeda. One thing is sure, it's not the way, ETA practiced terrorism in the past.

Updated the toll.
post #2 of 163
It is a sad world we live in these days...
post #3 of 163
The death toll is 173 now.

This is yet another sad day in history of human civilisation. Will it ever stop?
post #4 of 163
I love Spain.
meh
Reply
meh
Reply
post #5 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Harald
I love Spain.

Terrible news - it is the Spanish general election on Sunday too - I suppose that is why ETA (without doubt) felt they could 'make a point'.

Why do these maniacs imagine that this could do anything else but hinder their cause ?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #6 of 163
I don't think it is the ETA. That group used to issue a warning beforehand every time they set off an explosive. At least that is what I hear on the news.

There are plenty of websites out there sponsored by governments that give information to the public on these issues.

http://cfrterrorism.org/terrorism/introduction.html

This a social problem and has to be addressed as such. I don't think there is a magic wand which can be used by the government to eradicate this. It is deplorable to say the least.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #7 of 163
Synchronised attacks. I hate to say it, but that stinks like al Qaeda.

ETA are just cowardly murderous scum; al Qaeda are evangelically ambitious cowardly murderous scum.
meh
Reply
meh
Reply
post #8 of 163
I have relatives in Spain... I just hope this abates and doesn't spread to other cities like Barcelona or Seville. Fekking chicken-shit terrorists.
Aldo is watching....
Reply
Aldo is watching....
Reply
post #9 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs
I have relatives in Spain... I just hope this abates and doesn't spread to other cities like Barcelona or Seville. Fekking chicken-shit terrorists.

If it does it isn't ETA probably - I think they have an amnesty towards Barcelona.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #10 of 163
bastards

fukken bastards!
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
Reply
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
Reply
post #11 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by talksense101
I don't think it is the ETA. That group used to issue a warning beforehand every time they set off an explosive. At least that is what I hear on the news.


The latest that I hear is that the Spanish gov't is blaming ETA. From the CBC Website:

Quote:
The Spanish government is blaming the Basque separatist group ETA, which had threatened a new round of violence in advance of general elections planned for Sunday.

"This is mass murder," Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar said.

Tests revealed that the bombs were made with a type of dynamite that has been used by the ETA, Spain's Interior Ministry said.

Link
tribalfusion?
Reply
tribalfusion?
Reply
post #12 of 163
This is terrible. As of right now, I think it's unknown who is behind the attack.
post #13 of 163
This was a horrible attack.

My thoughts are with the people of Madrid.
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
Reply
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
Reply
post #14 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
This is terrible. As of right now, I think it's unknown who is behind the attack.

What does it matter anyway - we know whoever it was are sick maniacs. Basque or Islamist - same shit as far as I can see.

All that matters is that yet again, ordinary people are dead that didn't have to be - people that had nothing to do with whatever twisted game it is these nutters are playing.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #15 of 163
I am very saddened to see this

"I have learned two lessons in my life: first, there are no sufficient literary, psychological, or historial answers to human tragedy, only moral ones. Second, just as despair can come to one another only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings."
- Elie Wiesel

May Spain have better days ahead and may all the families be comforted through their time of sorrow.

May each of the dead be remembered for the love they added to the world.

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #16 of 163
Thread Starter 
This is really sad.

The Basque governor, who is a democratic nationalist think it's basque. One truck full of explosive was discovered some days ago, it belonged to ETA, that's why the ETA is on the top of the list.

Basque or not is not the question, but this act is unbelievable and haven't any explication even for an extremist.
post #17 of 163
Yeah. Nice going.

I'm getting more and more convinced that terrorists, actually, are less interested in the idea of global Islamic revolution / kicking the Brits out / self-rule for Tamils or Basques or Chechens / liberation than they are in killing strangers as an end in itself.

It doesn't seem to matter how legitimate your grievance is - are you the kind of person who would put a bomb in a backpack on a train to kill strangers or not?
post #18 of 163
I'm inclined to think it is the ETA, since they've not denied it. Other Basque groups have, but that's not the ETA. They may in fact say nothing in order to cause confusion / divert attention to other terrorist groups who could've done this. At this point why even make a distinction. It's likely they cooperate with one another when it suits their individual purposes, so in effect they're all part of a larger organized threat.
Aldo is watching....
Reply
Aldo is watching....
Reply
post #19 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs
I'm inclined to think it is the ETA, since they've not denied it. Other Basque groups have, but that's not the ETA. They may in fact say nothing in order to cause confusion / divert attention to other terrorist groups who could've done this. At this point why even make a distinction.

I'm inclined to say it's al'Qaida rather than ETA right now. I think they're punishing one of the Coalition members, like they said they would. I hope not. It just smells... funny. Although I agree it doesn't really matter when you count the dead.
post #20 of 163
Seems that wars are definately over.

Soldiers - 0

Cowards - add numbers to infinity.

Wake me up when it's over...

I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
Reply
I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
Reply
post #21 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Artman @_@
Seems that wars are definately over.

Soldiers - 0

Cowards - add numbers to infinity.

Wake me up when it's over...


We just need to come up with a way of taking these guys out. It's a new level and the old ways just don't work - it needs some revolutionary thought, no-one is safe anymore and it's getting worse not better.

We need to forget any partisan BS, any WOT or anything else - we need to bury any political differences till this is sorted and see the divide for what is really is - sane people versus maniacs.

This can't go on.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #22 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
We just need to come up with a way of taking these guys out. It's a new level and the old ways just don't work - it needs some revolutionary thought, no-one is safe anymore and it's getting worse not better.

We need to forget any partisan BS, any WOT or anything else - we need to bury any political differences till this is sorted and see the divide for what is really is - sane people versus maniacs.

This can't go on.

Of course. This won't bode well with some here but **** them. Identify the terrorists, find them and shoot them dead on site. Not a cowardly act I might say...it's called justice.

I feel the same way (right now...I'm a little pissed) with gangs and cowards who randomly kill, rape and steal from the innocent. in this country. they wear their colors on their sleeve...how hard is it to just gun them down and get it over with?

Sorry, I'm just pissed...Goes back to listening to the Dead Milkmen...

I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
Reply
I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
Reply
post #23 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
We just need to come up with a way of taking these guys out. It's a new level and the old ways just don't work - it needs some revolutionary thought, no-one is safe anymore and it's getting worse not better.

We need to forget any partisan BS, any WOT or anything else - we need to bury any political differences till this is sorted and see the divide for what is really is - sane people versus maniacs.

This can't go on.

U can't do it.

You just can't put a policeman on every corner, close your borders, secure airports, and all that. How about fixing the problems which lead to actions like that?

And since it won't happen, prepare for more acts of that nature.
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
Reply
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
Reply
post #24 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by piwozniak
How about fixing the problems which lead to actions like that?

and what problems might those be? they prefer they're soup cold versus warm? people that do acts such as these are fvckheads, pure and simple. logic and reason went out the door a long time ago and nothing's going to appease them.
post #25 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by piwozniak
U can't do it.

You just can't put a policeman on every corner, close your borders, secure airports, and all that. How about fixing the problems which lead to actions like that?

And since it won't happen, prepare for more acts of that nature.

I know you can't do it - and even if you could it wouldn't work.

That's what I meant by saying we need some NEW thought here - I don't know what and I'm not saying I do but I do know that Artman @_@'s suggestion above is the old way - it hasn't worked yet and it won't now.

Violence breeds violence and if we're going to use that as the solution then we have to just keep upping the ante and every time act more extreme than they do. Then they'll do the same.

There has to be a more effective way that WILL neutralise them. I just don't know what it is but I can certainly understand the urge to take retribution....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #26 of 163
Quote:
Violence breeds violence and if we're going to use that as the solution then we have to just keep upping the ante and every time act more extreme than they do. Then they'll do the same.

Well said.

So long as we, or our governments in our name, sanction the deaths of innocents in order to pursue the causes that we believe in, we are in a weak position to criticize others doing the same. The ends do not always justify the means for us or for them. We need to set an example and act from a position of moral strength. Win hearts & minds.

Its very sad for all those affected, victims, friends, families, Europeans...those responsible should be captured, tried and if convicted punished.

Those who support their aims should be shown the civilised way to respond to injustice.
post #27 of 163
This is truly awful.

Until very recently, I lived in Madrid for a few years. I sometimes travelled on the very same trains that were bombed this morning.

I remember driving to work one time, and when I got there someone said that a few minutes earlier there had been a bombing nearby. One poor guy never made it to work that day.

Or when ETA decided to murder someone by exploding a car bomb in a busy street as he drove past. Carnage.

Or when an alert security guard spotted a car parked partly obstructing a pedestrain crossing in central Madrid. The car was towed to an underground car-pound. A few hours later it exploded, destroying all the other cars nearby.

Or when ETA kidnapped a young man called Miguel Angel Blanco in July 97, and declared he would be murdered shortly. His young fiancee begged for his life on live TV. For days the ghastly agony continued. Then someone heard a shot nearby, and Miguel was found lying there, dying. We all joined in the huge, silent, peaceful demonstrations of literally hundreds of thousands of citizens.

Turn on your TV at 7pm Spanish time on Friday.

There will be another demonstration.
post #28 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
I know you can't do it - and even if you could it wouldn't work.

That's what I meant by saying we need some NEW thought here - I don't know what and I'm not saying I do but I do know that Artman @_@'s suggestion above is the old way - it hasn't worked yet and it won't now.

Violence breeds violence and if we're going to use that as the solution then we have to just keep upping the ante and every time act more extreme than they do. Then they'll do the same.

There has to be a more effective way that WILL neutralise them. I just don't know what it is but I can certainly understand the urge to take retribution....

Complacency breed s violence.

Put this asshole...



or...



or this smirking ass leaving court...



...on world wide television...put a gun to their head...BAM...

...next? No. you will be next...

I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
Reply
I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
Reply
post #29 of 163
don't jump on my back, i also believe that these guys are fvckheads, BUT..

Why do they do that? Just because they are fvckheads? I don't think so.
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
Reply
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
Reply
post #30 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Well said.

So long as we, or our governments in our name, sanction the deaths of innocents in order to pursue the causes that we believe in, we are in a weak position to criticize others doing the same. The ends do not always justify the means for us or for them. We need to set an example and act from a position of moral strength. Win hearts & minds.

Its very sad for all those affected, victims, friends, families, Europeans...those responsible should be captured, tried and if convicted punished.

Those who support their aims should be shown the civilised way to respond to injustice.

Terrorism against a fascist governement like Franco, i can understand (but not approve), but terrorism in a democratic countrie, where peopel have the right to vote ?

For the record the leader of the Basque region (a sort of governor if you like) is belonging to the moderate Basque nationalist party. A party who is for the autonomy of the Basque countrie. This man, and his party, say that this ugly crime was comited by ETA, and ask Basque people to participate in a huge peacefull manifestation.

According to a specialist of terrorism i heard on radio, the new generation of ETA members is made of people coming from street-gang. We deal more with a criminal mafia, than a political movement. Even in the Basque countrie the support for ETA is extremely low, now he will be ridiculously low.
post #31 of 163
Without terrorist acts, the "war on terror" becomes redundant. It wouldnt surprise this political cynic if Spanish PM Asnar, (a major supporter of the US-UK international terrorist campaign against the Iraqi people last March, where we killed 10,000+ civilians there against international law) had pre- knowledge of the March 11 attacks, in the same way that members of the Bush administration (Cheney, Rumsfeld, etc) had pre-knowledge of the September 11 attacks.

Without 9-11, the Bush foreign policy ship would still be marooned in the doldrums...Without these horrific attacks in Spain, the unpopular Asnar regime, facing upcoming elections, and way behind in the polls, would have been looking at certain defeat. Now, the Spanish people, enraged by these acts, will fall behind Asnar, no questions asked, and Spanish democracy will probably start heading south, au Ashcroft modus operandum here.This looks like electioneering, Rove style, where collateral damage (200 dead. 1200 hurt) is a "small" price to pay when political careers are at stake. It worked here after 9-11, when nobody dared even question Bush policy out of fear of being labeled "anti-American", so why shouldn't the same dastardly methods work in Spain?

No, this isn't a conspiracy theory. It's the way the world works these days. People who get into positions of power do so, not through innate "humanitarian" characteristics, but more due to innate scumball characteristics. It usually takes scumball characteristics to rise to positions of leadership....nice guys dont cut it. Life is tough, you live it, and hope you dont get mown down in the process. Humanity hasnt changed really in the last few thousand years....we are suspectible to bad intention when a choice is to be made, and if you are in a position of power, you can make bad decisions with far less chance of being caught out and punished. We will never know who perpetrated 9-11, and probably never know who perpetrated these latest attacks.

One thing is for sure... anyone who lays any measure of blame on a party who isnt the "usual suspect" will be laughed out of court by the hordes who look to leaders and officialdom as being blameless by default.

Now, all I'm waiting for is for those "conspiracy theory" accusers' knees to start jerking in unison.....It always happens. Yawn.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #32 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Artman @_@
Complacency breed s violence.

Put this asshole...



or...



or this smirking ass leaving court...



...on world wide television...put a gun to their head...BAM...

...next? No. you will be next...


Fine. Do it.

Do you think that fundamentalists are scared to die ? If so you know nothing about their mindset.

They'd love you for it. Then they'd come for you with a bigger truck of Semtex, or more hijacked planes, or another railway bomb.

And on it goes.

They don't care whether they take you out with a bomb belt or whether you blow their brains out on tv. It's their cause. There's always more where they come from - everytime one dies two more are born.

Do you really believe your solution is a solution or would it just make you feel better ?

I'm not interested in feeling better - I just want it to stop by the most effective means and your plan don't cut it. Sorry.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #33 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
Terrorism against a fascist governement like Franco, i can understand (but not approve), but terrorism in a democratic countrie, where peopel have the right to vote ?

For the record the leader of the Basque region (a sort of governor if you like) is belonging to the moderate Basque nationalist party. A party who is for the autonomy of the Basque countrie. This man, and his party, say that this ugly crime was comited by ETA, and ask Basque people to participate in a huge peacefull manifestation.

According to a specialist of terrorism i heard on radio, the new generation of ETA members is made of people coming from street-gang. We deal more with a criminal mafia, than a political movement. Even in the Basque countrie the support for ETA is extremely low, now he will be ridiculously low.

Powerdoc - I don't agree with this outrage as I hope you know but one thing I would say about Spain is that it can lean a little to the undemocratic sometimes.

Not to justify this but Batasuna was recently banned as a political party (and mot because of ETA or terrorism) and their elected politicians thrown out of parliament.

This was when the upsurge in violence occurred (although it has a history). I don't think this action was democratic but nothing justifies these actions.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #34 of 163
Thread Starter 
Paradoxaly, as you mentionned, the terrorist helped someone they was supposed to hate. This is ****ing idiot.

For the conspiracy theory lovers, Asnar is going to leave politic in 3 days, and have announced this since months.

Link the two, and you will understand that like Hassan, i think that this kind of people are more interested by the taste of blood and fear, than a real political agenda.
post #35 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Powerdoc - I don't agree with this outrage as I hope you know but one thing I would say about Spain is that it can lean a little to the undemocratic sometimes.

Not to justify this but Batasuna was recently banned as a political party (and mot because of ETA or terrorism) and their elected politicians thrown out of parliament.

This was when the upsurge in violence occurred (although it has a history). I don't think this action was democratic but nothing justifies these actions.

No democracy is perfect and i am not a specialist of spanish politic. Batasuna was banned for his double standart (you are either a political party, or a terrorist org), but there is several nationalist party in spain. And one of them is governing the spanish basque countrie.

I think that this is much better than Tchetchenia. Every democracy has some injustice in it, with a good towel you will finish to find one, but that's not an excuse for terrorism, because if it was the case, terrorism will always have an excuse.
If you want to check injustices, do it in the name of the citizens who suffer this injustice, but don't do it for preventing terrorism, it will lead you to disapointment.
post #36 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
I'm not interested in feeling better - I just want it to stop by the most effective means and your plan don't cut it. Sorry.

Their "effective" way of stating their idiotic (or in some cases justified...but that's another solution...I guess GWB & Dick have their agenda for that?...) demands. Is by blowing innocent people into chicken nuggets...do us all a favor...get balls and kill the leaders of your disgust or use political means to take them down instead. Don't be a ****ing loser/coward.

This is a war. On a battlefield there is no judge or jury. Kill or be killed. Death. Immediate death for all accused of these atrocities. Bring a couple of semi-trucks and flatbeds...you know we'll need it...

I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
Reply
I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
Reply
post #37 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
Without these horrific attacks in Spain, the unpopular Asnar regime, facing upcoming elections, and way behind in the polls, would have been looking at certain defeat. Now, the Spanish people, enraged by these acts, will fall behind Asnar, no questions asked, and Spanish democracy will probably start heading south, au Ashcroft modus operandum here.

Sammi Jo - while I often agree with you as I do with most of this post, unfortunately I can't agree with the above bit.

Aznar's party might well have cruised it. No way were they losing in the polls. I can't understand it but there it is. Spain is an odd place - every night during the Iraq war people were on their balconies smashing kettles and pans in protest. In every major city.

It would start at 10pm and go oin for an hour - you could hear it all over Barcelona like a thunderstorm. Only louder. Cars hooting, everyone out of cafes and shops. Every night. We had a million person march they say. It just does not translate into anti-government feeling. I cannot explain it but it is true nonetheless.

They would vote Aznar's party back in anyway if they wanted to - there doesn't seem to be an association of guilt.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #38 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Artman @_@
Their "effective" way of stating their idiotic (or in some cases justified...but that's another solution...I guess GWB & Dick have their agenda for that?...) demands. Is by blowing innocent people into chicken nuggets...do us all a favor...get balls and kill the leaders of your disgust or use political means to take them down instead. Don't be a ****ing loser/coward.

This is a war. On a battlefield there is no judge or jury. Kill or be killed. Death. Immediate death for all accused of these atrocities. Bring a couple of semi-trucks and flatbeds...you know we'll need it...


Immediate death for all those accused? Indiscriminate slaughter is not the cure for indiscriminate slaughter.

It doesn't have anything to do with having "balls" or being a "***ing loser/coward". It has to do with the best way to combat terrorism. Running around assassinating everybody you think might be a terrorist, or might be planning a terrorist act, or might be sympathetic to terrorist causes, is a great way to swell the ranks of suicide bombers, as well as a way to surrender any hint of moral authority.

Do you imagine that terrorists sport terrorist t-shirts and it is simply a lack of will that prevents us from picking them off? Terrorism is a scourge precisely because it not a country, peoples or army, but rather a diffuse strategy shared by certain members of a citizenry.

Calling this a war and making the whole planet a battlefield will distort and destroy any vestage of the values that we ostensibly hold, and which we ostensibly consider morally superior to that of the terrorist.

The rhetoric of war and kill or be killed means almost anything is justified, because almost anyone might be a terrorist almost anywhere.

Do you really want a world where entire apartment buildings are destroyed because someone had "intelligence" that terrorists might be harbored there? Because that is what you are actually talking about, as a matter of practice.

And at that point, what is the difference, really, between "us" and "them"?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #39 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Artman @_@
This is a war. On a battlefield there is no judge or jury. Kill or be killed. Death. Immediate death for all accused of these atrocities. Bring a couple of semi-trucks and flatbeds...you know we'll need it...


I know you've probably been watching Rambo, but keep it real please.

There is no battlefield per se when it comes to terrorists. The "battlefield" is where you least expect it. Do some reading on why it's called -terrorism-. It's not that simple.
post #40 of 163
I just spoke to a friend two days ago about his trip to Basque country last week! Yikes... Anyway, he's mexi/American and looks-wise, could fit in with lots of different people. Many folks approached him and would start to speak in Basque before he could tell them in spanish where he was from (Houston, TX).

His impressions were that the overwelming majority of folks there wish the ETA would go the f#*k away... As frustrated as they are with Madrid's rule, they are more and more turning their backs on ETA's way of doing things. So now ETA is going to start to collaborate with Al Queda.

This is a truly horrendous crime.
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
Reply
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Terrorist attack in spain : 200 people killed, 1500 wounded