or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Aluminum Display - (Apple slideshow leak?)

Aluminum Display - (Apple slideshow leak?) - Page 2

post #41 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
Thank you. That's what I was trying to say, but kept tripping and stumbling on sarcasm.

Sometimes the lure of sarcasm is a devilish delight. Kinda like your sig...
...we have assumed control
...we have assumed control
post #42 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by robo
Nice looking mockups, but i'm 99.9% sure you just saw a regular Cinema Display reflecting the light funny or something. It's not the first time that the Cinema Display has been mistaken for aluminum in a photo.

I have used a 22" inch Cinema display for about three years now. I know what they look like.

Quote:
Originally posted by robo

I do not think many people at Apple have access to secret new products. Least of all some guy doing a 'learn to use OS X' presentation to a MUG.

I agree. However, the "some guy" was an Apple Systems engineer. .. and the image appeared as a portion of a single slide in either Keynote or PowerPoint. This was not a MUG event.

MSKR
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
post #43 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by Sopphode
I dont know about the display, but could someone post that desktop image

I don't think it's a desktop picture... it's Photoshop 7 (only tool palette visible)

an "official" promo picture would probably want to show the newest s/w versions
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #44 of 116
Quote:
Messiahtosh, I think you're looking too hard and exerting quite a bit of energy for such small returns. Pull back on the reins a tad: a slideshow "leaks" a new display AND an official Apple T-shirt points the way to a new iPod? Both in one day?

Will you see a new iBook design in your Pop-Tart tomorrow morning?

I didnt post this topic and I dont eat pop tarts.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
post #45 of 116
Hahaha...I just NOW looked and realized Masker - not Messiahtosh - started this thread. Looks like I jumped the gun and owe Messiahtosh a small, half-assed apology.

I'm sorryyyyyyy. *mumble, mumble*

But can you blame me?

It SOUNDS like something you'd start.

Pop-Tarts are good. Try 'em!
post #46 of 116
post #47 of 116
How about this:

1. the display, just like the other pic
2. the legs "fold" up to the back, so as to not be visible from the front, and then can hang on a wall.
3. The legs can also stick at a certain point, allowing it to be adjustable.
4. Attached with optional iMac-like stand.

What do you think?
post #48 of 116
The words "too complicated" spring to mind. That's definitely not something Ives would let be designed.
post #49 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
The words "too complicated" spring to mind. That's definitely not something Ives would let be designed.

I'm gonna second that. It's very un-Apple.
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
post #50 of 116
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Masker
[B]I attended an "event" recently and during several of the presentations, a slide was shown that showed a 23" or larger aluminum display beside an Apple Tower.

I asked someone about the display and they said, "I don't know what that is... (name deleted) put this slide show together and no telling where ____ pulled that image from..."

I saw the sllide for about 2-3 secs and an Apple guy clicked right by it without flinching. In case your wondering if a bunch of people stood up immediately and say "HEY! AN ALUMINUM DISPLAY!!!!", this was not the case, the room was full of mac users but not any hardcore future hardware types like me. Was mostly an older crowd wanting to know hot to start using OS X, etc, you get the idea.

Apple using a slide projector? Unless your saying that you saw an apple presentation... in keynote slides although from the tone of your post I dont think so. Dude! think different.... ala
keynote... Would apple really do a slide presentation... get a better story.
Nice try and good mockup to expalin with no cheese grater design...Nothing to see here... move along....
post #51 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by Celco
Apple using a slide projector? Unless your saying that you saw an apple presentation... in keynote slides although from the tone of your post I dont think so. Dude! think different.... ala
Nice try and good mockup to expalin with no cheese grater design...Nothing to see here... move along....

I'm not commenting on the legitimacy of this report but I don't know how you got 'slide projector' as in old fashion 35mm slides... In both PowerPoint and Keynote individual 'frames' are still referred to as slides and they are still 'projected' by a projector...

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #52 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by lightningrod220

4. Attached with optional iMac-like stand.

What do you think?

Why put a neutron star to the dome just to avoid the screen to fall on your head? Do you realise, I hope, that the 20" iMac weighs 18.2 kg, but there is a computer therein.
post #53 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave
ADC only, has got to go. I just sold a 17" Studio Display and it took months. Nobody wants anything to do with ADC. It's nice if you have a recent Mac tower, but only then.

what i've always found odd is that ADC is only to be found on towers. yet apple make this big thing about how you can hook up your powerbook to a sexy 23" cinema display *with optional adaptor. just seems a very inelegant, and un-apple-like solution.
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #54 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
what i've always found odd is that ADC is only to be found on towers. yet apple make this big thing about how you can hook up your powerbook to a sexy 23" cinema display *with optional adaptor. just seems a very inelegant, and un-apple-like solution.

ADC has to supply 130W of power, which is quite completely beyond the capability of a PowerBook or its power supply. That's why you only see it in towers.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #55 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by othello

Agreed. If I'm not mistaken, ADC was introduced before DVI was available on any PowerBook. If every display needs a power supply, it aught to be built into the display not in a separate dongle. ADC would be elegant only if it was built into every computer, which it's not. DVI is becoming the standard.
post #56 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveGee
I'm not commenting on the legitimacy of this report but I don't know how you got 'slide projector' as in old fashion 35mm slides... In both PowerPoint and Keynote individual 'frames' are still referred to as slides and they are still 'projected' by a projector...

Dave

GeeDave! note my irony...
that was the question i was asking ... the post sounded more like it was a real slide projector .... I was not making the point that it was... anywho my post was more a reflection on the way some at fh comes up with those i know so and so who brother knows the sister of sj... rumours. what would be cool to see in fh is real evidence ie some specs... or even a trademark or patent listing except this is more hey i can use photoshop ( although its done quite well i have to give ) and i want to show off with a rumour to get people here... Instead it would be great if soemone just posted the title my take on the new cinema displays... Its a pity good art work goes along with such crap. im not flaming anyone here hoping that FH will get back to the reason I first came to apple insider... the promise that there are a few on the boards that have an inside edge of knowledge that they wish to share Its been so long since anyone on this post had "I have real proof" credible information since the power mac MDD pics which were totally not to be seen
post #57 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
ADC has to supply 130W of power, which is quite completely beyond the capability of a PowerBook or its power supply. That's why you only see it in towers.

Stupid question... how does DVI to ADC on a powerbook connected to a apple display work then?... is there a wattage increase? or does the display get its power from a mains source...and just take a signal from the powerbook I thought the whole idea of DVI and ADC was to supply power and signal together?
post #58 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by Celco
Stupid question... how does DVI to ADC on a powerbook connected to a apple display work then?... is there a wattage increase? or does the display get its power from a mains source...and just take a signal from the powerbook I thought the whole idea of DVI and ADC was to supply power and signal together?

The DVI to ADC adapter is plugged in the wall and supplies the power to the display. Video signal and USB come from the computer.
post #59 of 116
Quote:
The DVI to ADC adapter is plugged in the wall and supplies the power to the display. Video signal and USB come from the computer.

always wondered why you have to keep the charger hooked to the PB with the DVI-ADC converter in use?
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #60 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigc
always wondered why you have to keep the charger hooked to the PB with the DVI-ADC converter in use?

You don't have to. If you want to use a PowerBook in closed-lid-mode, for some reason you have to have the PowerBook connected to its power adapter, otherwise it sleeps when the lid is closed.
post #61 of 116
I've update the image slightly. I'm thinking a very similar image is going to show up on Apple's website before this month is out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Celco: Resident Judge of Truth

"and the image appeared as a portion of a single slide in either Keynote or PowerPoint." <= Me say this.

Why would a LCD display need the mesh? i could see a little on the back, but there would be no need for it aesthetically.

Also, a couple of points to emphasize... I did not make this story up, it actually happened. The image i saw took up about 1/4 of one "slide" - you know - a single frame in a "slide show presentation".. (Semantics.) This slide had type over it regarding specialized hardware for this "specialized event".

I'm not claiming the slide is real or official, but a follow up call to "some guy" revealed that it came from Apple. (let the stones fly)

MSKR
post #62 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by sorhed
aluminum is so 2003.

we need a new metal.

Not a metal but... dilithium!

Or there is always mithril...
post #63 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by kikaida
Not a metal but... dilithium!

Or there is always mithril...

...or Plutonium!

"Mommy, why does the computer glow green? ..and why do I have chest pains so much?"
post #64 of 116
I have a problem, not with the story which could be true but with the concept. Having used G4 iMacs and Powermacs i must say how much I prefer the additional height of the iMac screen. I am looking straight ahead not down.

I cannot think of an elegant way to achieve this with a standalone screen, but there is no doubt that the iMac is better for ones posture.
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
post #65 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by Addison
I cannot think of an elegant way to achieve this with a standalone screen, but there is no doubt that the iMac is better for ones posture.

Correct, the iMac has by far the best ergomonics of any computer available today. I would love to work on such a machine just for this reason. I have difficulties to imagine another, more efficient, computer-display arrangement. However, it is not at all obvious how this design paradigm could propagate to standalone displays.
post #66 of 116
Sony have had a display like this out for over a year now, and I reckon it's a pretty good match for the G5.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...U=SDMP232W%2fB

PLEASE don't let Apple's new display have two feet.....
post #67 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by jasonfj
Sony have had an adjustable display like this out for over a year now, and I reckon it's a pretty good match for the G5.

Looks like it would tip over with the slighest bump.
post #68 of 116
I've seen in a store and it doesn't.
post #69 of 116
Quote:
Looks like it would tip over with the slighest bump.

With a sneeze I would say.

EDIT: OK, already replied.
post #70 of 116
quote:
"Why would a LCD display need the mesh? i could see a little on the back, but there would be no need for it aesthetically."

I never said that an LCD would need the mesh. I was actuallty commenting that the mockup pic looked GOOD without it unlike a post a while back which also claimed to have the inside scoop on the new display design and that post has an image of a display with the chese grater design on the front. Personally I hope the new displays have a thin bezel than a thick one so placing two displays togeather allows for a better viewing when monitor spanning.

Quote:
"Also, a couple of points to emphasize... I did not make this story up, it actually happened. "

If you say so than it must be true.... frankly who cares... Im not calling you a liar... but question why do you believe that apple would release an update now ie end of the month instead of at WWDC when they have all the media attention...If thats what you are saying...

"let the stones fly"
...No need... there seems to be to many pigs flying....
Lighten up... its only FH ... realise i was complimenting the artwork...
post #71 of 116
Before they actually come out, I want to get on record here...

1. I think new Apple displays WILL a) be covered in aluminum and have less curvy edges, better matching the PowerBooks and G5.

And I've posted this before (but lost it, so doodled a quick new one here at work ), but I can't get a away from some sort of bisected "cradle" design. The below display could swivel side-to-side and it could tilt back and forth (like a laptop screen).

The display's sides are halved and it sits on a wide "U" base, tilting at the vertical half point (see side drawing). The base could (and should) be some sort of dense, heavy material (covered in nice G5 aluminum, of course) that is itself split: the base stays put while the top portion of itswivels on a secure, heavy-duty pinot rod.

I'm no engineer, so go with it.

The styling isn't there in my drawing (just showing the mechanics) and also keep in mind: Apple would do a clean, visually seamless take on the below, so don't let the lines fool you into thinking it's too "busy" or cluttered. In the below state (a line drawing, showing every part), it certainly is. But I would imagine Apple rolling and smoothing the parts to butt to each other nicely, resulting in a clean, tight look.

Again, just an idea that allows for simple tilt and swivel, which is what most people probably want.

In case something like this DOES come to be, I jus twant to be in the clear...

post #72 of 116
Masker, If your rendering has the scale right, that could be the 30" display Apple's rumored to have been working on. It figures a new model would get the updated look we've been expecting, and that the look would get spread down to the rest of the line. I hope it also comes with a price drop to, say, $1799 or so for the 23". I have quotes sitting on my desk for 8 G5s with 23s and I find myself now leaning towards waiting for the new round, instead of taking discounts now, largely on the strength of this idea of what the new displays might look like. (the 8 G5s are for 8 designers and they LOVE the look of that display.) Your post may end up costing us a bunch of money!

By the way, I remember being at an Apple Event a couple years ago and seeing a slide that showed an Xserve Raid, several weeks before that product was announced.
-Tim
-Tim
post #73 of 116
Quote:
1. I think new Apple displays WILL a) be covered in aluminum and have less curvy edges, better matching the PowerBooks and G5.

And I've posted this before (but lost it, so doodled a quick new one here at work ), but I can't get a away from some sort of bisected "cradle" design. The below display could swivel side-to-side and it could tilt back and forth (like a laptop screen).certainly is. But I would imagine Apple rolling and smoothing the parts to butt to each other nicely, resulting in a clean, tight look.

Looks like it would tip over with the slightest bump.
post #74 of 116
Quote:

Something like a... mirror ? It will need perhaps some screws to fix it on the table . Otherwise, it's nice.

EDIT: now I am thinking about it, is there any manufacturer having already displays with this design? Or it is something completely new?
post #75 of 116
Are there not materials out there that could be used for the base? I have a neat little lamp that I bought at IKEA about four years ago. It's a "dual mount" type of thing, in that I can clamp it to a desk or table OR insert it in to this small round base that came with it. This base is about a 6" circle and no more than 1.5" tall...IT IS THE HEAVIEST THING THAT SIZE I'VE EVER LIFTED.

I don't know what it is made of, but it's ridiculously heavy (I'm talking "hold it with both hands and grimace" heavy).

That's just a 6" circle. Couldn't a 12-18" long "bar", maybe 4" or so deep and an inch or two tall, made from something this dense, support the device? Also, I could imagine the "U" cradle being heavier than the bezel and the "top" part of the display, so all the weight and bulk would be at the bottom. Nothing should tip.

That IKEA lamp is a jointed architect type of lamp, about 4-feet long when fully extended. When I insert it in to its base and tilt it over as far as it reaches, it doesn't come close to tipping. Ever.
post #76 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by sorhed
aluminum is so 2003.

we need a new metal.

My vote is for half copper, half zinc...if the batter goes just squeeze a lemon on the keyboard and you get 5 more minutes of power.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #77 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
My vote is for half copper, half zinc...if the batter goes just squeeze a lemon on the keyboard and you get 5 more minutes of power.

Batter? Lemon?? What are you talking about, fish & chips?
post #78 of 116
A more fleshed-in take...

post #79 of 116
Quote:
Originally posted by jasonfj

Batter? Lemon?? What are you talking about, fish & chips?

Batter-y.....sorry.
post #80 of 116
I prefer the 'original' design! I think the aluminium design shown doesn't work. I hope apple come up with something a little more stylish and flashy!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Aluminum Display - (Apple slideshow leak?)