or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.3.3 is officially out - anyone install it yet?

10.3.3 is officially out - anyone install it yet? - Page 3

post #81 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by torifile
Turn off animated gifs. That makes it completely normal again.

Did you do the IOReg command yet?

Why are you using Safari?
post #82 of 160
My boot time went from ~1 minute in 10.3.2 to just under 30 seconds under 10.3.3.
post #83 of 160
any word on pith helmet compatibility?

what is safari's new build number?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #84 of 160
Wait... I did not think Safari was updated. And I use Safari because I LIKE it. If you don't like it, go ahead and use whatever you want. Anyways, back on topic, the build is 1.2.1. I am using PithHelmet, but as I stated, typing was not this slow before the update, and changed no settings afterwards. Sorry torifile for not making it clearer, I did run ioreg again and got the same results as I did before the update....
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
post #85 of 160
ads are still blocked, so pithhelmet seems to have transitioned to 10.3.3 fine

Safari reports 1.2.1 (v125.1)

seems Snappier
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #86 of 160
lovely. 10.3.3 appears to have eliminated a very frustrating audio-skipping flaw, which occured every time the screen backlight toggled its power. but no more!

still broken: stickies. crashes on me several times a day, usually while sitting idly in the background.
has anyone else experienced this?
post #87 of 160
The only problem I am having with 10.3.3 is that Quake 3 1.3.2 still quits when I am killed with a plasma gun.
Seatbelts kill because they hate.
Seatbelts kill because they hate.
post #88 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Gilhooly
The only problem I am having with 10.3.3 is that Quake 3 1.3.2 still quits when I am killed with a plasma gun.

That's strictly a Quake 3 related issue. Try using an older build of Q3a (the pre-altivec/10.2 ones).
post #89 of 160
Some questions for 12" Powerbook users (867 MHz, first generation):

(1) Does the power management unit coccuption (the system erroneously reports the CPU frequency as 533 MHz) still occurs after a restart or cold startup? Otherwise stated, is still necessary to reset by hand the PMU before startup?

(2) How about audio skip under network activity?

(3) How is the fan? At what temperature it fires up? You can monitor the temperature with, what else , Temperature Monitor.

Thanks.
post #90 of 160
Installed 10.3.3 an hour ago, and haven't heard the fan yet (AI PB 1.25 G - 1G RAM)
Safari snappier, no broken or funny apps for now. Boot time normal. Cool.
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
post #91 of 160
OK, I had some real issues with 10.3.3, but got them worked out. If anyone else runs into these problems, here's what to do.

- Finder completely locks up, spinning beach ball. When I first installed the update, my finder would pop up a connect dialog to my server, then spin the beachball no matter what the response. Solution: Go into terminal, CD to your ~/Library/Preferences then RM your finder and siderbar plists. In my case I had folders in my side bar that were on my shared mounts. I think that this was causing the problem to begin with.

- I store my iTunes library on the server as well, and had some very strange issues with it asking to mount the server for every song, even though the drive had already been mounted. I tossed the iTunes plist preference file, and then reset my iTunes advanced preference of iTunes library back to my server folder. iTunes went through its thing (80gb library), and now all is well.

Obviously these issues won't be had by most users, but if you were trying to utilize networking extensively under 10.3.2, you need to do a little house cleaning for the update. Oh, and everything seems to be running fine now.
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
post #92 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by dglow
still broken: stickies. crashes on me several times a day, usually while sitting idly in the background.
has anyone else experienced this?

Did you delete com.apple.Stickies.plist in your preferences folder? It's probably corrupted.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #93 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Ebby
The data port on my 1500 also looks like a ethernet port. However the cable I use to plug in into my G5 has a ethernet port on one end and a USB port on the other.

Ah. Did that come with your UPS? I don't recall seeing such a cable in my packaging.

PS Kickaha: don't laugh, the telecom companies and others already have working prototypes for "data transmission over existing power lines". In fact I thought I saw something at CrapUSA last year in the cable section that was related to this technology, something used for home networks. Anyway they probably have to adapt the plugs to get such a technology to work anyway, not that I suspected that was the case here.

Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #94 of 160
Anybody know if 10.3.3 supports the new 8x DVD drives natively?

I'm thinking about buying a Pioneer DVR-107, but I don't really want to have to hack anything

\
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #95 of 160
All seems okay on the pscates 15" PowerBook (1.25GHz) front. Downloaded and installed last night, did my usual stuff (Safari, iChat, Mail, some Photoshop and Illustrator CS stuff, some .Mac things, Backup, iSync, bought a song, burned a disk, printed a page, connected to an iBook (both via AirPort and Ethernet cable), etc.

Don't notice anything snazzy or different or blatantly "improved", but also don't experience any glitches or goof-ups or stuff acting weird or idiotic, so that's fine with me.

I guess it works.
post #96 of 160
Just to clarify what you get with the update...

Apple Computer Inc. has at last released its Mac OS X 10.3.3 update for desktop and server Macs. This significant 58.8MB update has been in development since at least January, when a build circulated to Apple developers was withdrawn. The most recent beta-testing build was distributed late last week.

Mac OS X 10.3.3 offers enhancements for: networking and .Mac; DVD Player; Apple's tranche of OS X applications; Finder enhancements and more. Apple has also added a feature to DVD Player. This now recognizes and plays DVD+R media. An extensive list of some of the improvements in the release is available from Apple. Some selected highlights follow:

Networking, wireless and Finder improvements

An enhancement to Network browsing that means Servers appear both on the desktop and in the Finder window Sidebars. You can also disconnect from a server using the Finder and by dropping the server's icon on the Trash. Finder and applications that allow users to browse the file system will now refresh the contents of a remote network volume's folder or directory when the folder's contents change. Synchronization between .Mac and your Mac has been improved, as has .Mac's treatment of wireless networks. The OS is also now more compatible with third-party wireless networking PC cards.

SITE
Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz, iPod mini green & silver & pink, iPod Photo 30g, 1g iPod Shuffle
160GB HDD
8x SuperDrive
512MB RAM
AirPort Extreme
Mac OS X
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
Bluetooth Module + Apple...
Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz, iPod mini green & silver & pink, iPod Photo 30g, 1g iPod Shuffle
160GB HDD
8x SuperDrive
512MB RAM
AirPort Extreme
Mac OS X
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
Bluetooth Module + Apple...
post #97 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
Don't notice anything snazzy or different or blatantly "improved", but also don't experience any glitches or goof-ups or stuff acting weird or idiotic, so that's fine with me.I guess it works.

Ditto the sentiment. Installed yesterday on Dual 800 Quicksilver at work and AlBook 15" at home. Have been internet'ing and using graphics apps on both and seems fine so far.
bah!
bah!
post #98 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs
Ah. Did that come with your UPS? I don't recall seeing such a cable in my packaging.

PS Kickaha: don't laugh, the telecom companies and others already have working prototypes for "data transmission over existing power lines". In fact I thought I saw something at CrapUSA last year in the cable section that was related to this technology, something used for home networks. Anyway they probably have to adapt the plugs to get such a technology to work anyway, not that I suspected that was the case here.

Heh. Yeah, not the case here. The IP Over Power basically used the electrical wiring as an Ethernet cable, and required an adapter at each end (*not* the power plug! ). Think of a little nubbin you'd plug into the outlet, that simply had an RJ-45 jack for Ethernet, essentially turning that electrical outlet into an Ethernet jack. WiFi kind of kicked that idea in the crotch and ran away laughing.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #99 of 160
I might get a Pioneer DVR-107 now that they're fully supported in 10.3.3. 8x DVD-R/+R, 24x CD-R, and it's now $126 (about $20 cheaper than last time I checked). However, NEC has an 8x available for under $100 and it works if you use Patchburn, so maybe I'll do that...
post #100 of 160
installed and works fine for me (867 PB).
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #101 of 160
Well, I dunno about you guys, but my battery capacity actually went up. I had checked it before and got results in the 3600 range. Now, after the update, I get 3935.

Also, under 10.3.2 my fan would come on rather quickly and almost never turn off. It does still come on a bit more than I'd like, but at least it shuts off sooner. I can only assume things are running a little cooler now, or the fan subsystem has been updated to be more accurate.

For the record, this is a first edition 12" PB.

{Edit} The fan has been running for a little while, hovering around 124 degrees F.
post #102 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
installed and works fine for me (867 PB).

You mean the fan issue of 12" Powerbooks?
post #103 of 160
Quote:
(2) How about audio skip under network activity?

Ah yes one more insanely frustrating issue! It used to happen virtually every second on 10.2.8 when Ethernet activity was going on. It's only happened twice in 10.3.2 but when it started, it kept occurring. I had Carracho Server, AIM, Safari, iTunes streaming, and lots of other network activity and iTunes started predictably skipping again. WELL I am going to go ahead and install it! Remember to fix permissions before and after everyone.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #104 of 160
So basically its safe?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #105 of 160
from the 10.3.3 KB article:
When you use an Open menu command to choose a file in Finder or an application, the flashing button now says "Choose" instead of "Open".

interesting. I'm still seeing 'open' everywhere, though. has anyone noticed this change?
post #106 of 160
Just updated. It's a mixed bag, bad for me, good for most I assume. The fan still runs on PB 12"s. And my battery capacity is still 3426. I am not looking forward to spending over a hundred dollars on a new battery that Battery Update killed. Definitely not looking forward to it.

On the upside Connect To... SMB works like it always should have and booting seems faster (after the first boot of course.) Will look in to the battery issue more later.

edit: the audio skipping bug is definitely STILL there. Damnit! I was browsing only Google News and Eleanor Rigby in iTunes skipped. Went back, without doing internet activity, and it didn't skip. sooo annoying.
post #107 of 160
I haven't seen choose either.
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
post #108 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs

Apart from the power cable... I think that's the only cable that APC UPS comes with (unless they throw in some telephone lines since it's a filter for that as well). The cable is USB on one end... and what looks like ethernet on the other (I'm not sure if it actually is ethernet (for some other connectivity)... of if they just chose an odd connector).
post #109 of 160
It seems only the second boot after the update shows the improved boot time. The first reboot right after the update is normal.

Anyone noticed dramatically improved boot times after the first reboot?
post #110 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Just updated. It's a mixed bag, bad for me, good for most I assume. The fan still runs on PB 12"s. And my battery capacity is still 3426. I am not looking forward to spending over a hundred dollars on a new battery that Battery Update killed. Definitely not looking forward to it.

On the upside Connect To... SMB works like it always should have and booting seems faster (after the first boot of course.) Will look in to the battery issue more later.

edit: the audio skipping bug is definitely STILL there. Damnit! I was browsing only Google News and Eleanor Rigby in iTunes skipped. Went back, without doing internet activity, and it didn't skip. sooo annoying.

Thanks for answering my questions. Sadly, 12" Powerbook (867 MHz) users have to choose, either heat or noise.
post #111 of 160
Is Google replaced with Yahoo in Safari's search bar? I read that on ThinkSecret that that may happen.... I know it's only a rumor but I was just wondering.
http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/erro...amxsigflat.jpg
Above is a link to my sig pic.
If you'd like to send me an email please use gheller@hellermedia.com. The email listed in my profile is for...
If you'd like to send me an email please use gheller@hellermedia.com. The email listed in my profile is for...
post #112 of 160
I had installed the 10.3.3 update from Software Update yesterday. Then today Apple came out with the combo updater, a little less than 10MB bigger (67.6MB, I think). For a giggle, I downloaded it and installed it. To my surprise, it seems to have added, or updated, several files in the system folder as their checksums were different. Odd.
post #113 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2
Is Google replaced with Yahoo in Safari's search bar? I read that on ThinkSecret that that may happen.... I know it's only a rumor but I was just wondering.

Nope.
post #114 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

you might be thinking of Ambrosia's iSeek
post #115 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
Anybody know if 10.3.3 supports the new 8x DVD drives natively?

I'm thinking about buying a Pioneer DVR-107, but I don't really want to have to hack anything

\

Apparantly it does.
post #116 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Heh. Yeah, not the case here. The IP Over Power basically used the electrical wiring as an Ethernet cable, and required an adapter at each end (*not* the power plug! ). Think of a little nubbin you'd plug into the outlet, that simply had an RJ-45 jack for Ethernet, essentially turning that electrical outlet into an Ethernet jack. WiFi kind of kicked that idea in the crotch and ran away laughing.

I liken them to DSL modems. Same concept at least, piggy-back IP traffic on existing infrastructure. I think this is popular in some parts of scandanavia and elsewhere...

But back on topic:
What is the backend to Apple's UPS control panel?
Is it nut?
post #117 of 160
Quote:
Thanks for answering my questions. Sadly, 12" Powerbook (867 MHz) users have to choose, either heat or noise.

No we don't. It would be just awesome if Apple added a checkbox in Energy Prefs in 10.3.4 that said "Increase fan sensitivity" so that it either ran more and we had a cool powerbook or ran less, resulting in it be slightly hotter, which I personally don't mind, but can see someone using it too much with shorts on becoming impotent!
post #118 of 160
10.3.3 is fine for me. Works like a charm. Ahem. Like before. Marvelous!
post #119 of 160
Look murb, you'll just have to stay with that machine. It even ups its battery for you. I mean, if that isn't love, what is?
post #120 of 160
What's new in Safari, Mail, etc? I don't see anything other than it being snappier.....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.3.3 is officially out - anyone install it yet?