or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The Best Looking (Pretty) Icons

The Best Looking (Pretty) Icons

post #1 of 22
Just wondering what your favorite icons are. I don't like IE, but I think it's blue E is really cool and wish I knew how to make letters like that. I'll have to give it a try soon. The Software Update icon isn't too bad looking either, although I've always liked the blue network icon.

I'm partial to the icon I made for firefox as well, but I guess anyone likes what they themselves made right?

Safari is pretty nifty as well, I don't like the silver boarder, but the blue is pretty cool, and the detail of putting the continents in the background was a very nice touch.
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #2 of 22
I'm a pretty big fan of the Photoshop and illustrator icons, as well as the Final Cut Pro icon (I'm assuming most people haven't seen that one, it's a little like the iMovie icon, but on steroids.)
I also like the iTunes icon, especially how it changes colors with each major release of it. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now.
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows

post #3 of 22
All the Adobe CS icons are really neat. It's cool how they take the outline of an object and put it around a close up of it.
post #4 of 22
The blue iTunes logo was the best. That is the one I am using now.
post #5 of 22
Yeah, I still use the blue iTunes logo too.

I hate the Adobe CS icons.

I think the best icons are the Snow.E and Snow.E Aqua sets. Simple and clean.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #6 of 22
iDisk
post #7 of 22
Currently I'm using Xanthic Eye for drives and World of Aqua for the bulk of other icons.

InterfaceLIFT has a huge collection. Anything from Hein Mevissen is gold. Or was... (click link)

As far as Apple icons go, the latest iTunes looks great (love green).
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
post #8 of 22
Are we limited to the stock application icons?

I really like the style of the Smoothicons series found at www.iconfactory.com
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally posted by DMBand0026
I also like the iTunes icon, especially how it changes colors with each major release of it. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now.

Shows how wet behind the ears I am -- I've only ever known green (ahhhhh...)
You mean you read this far?
You mean you read this far?
post #10 of 22
i like the biohazard set from xicons.com
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus
Shows how wet behind the ears I am -- I've only ever known green (ahhhhh...)

There has been 4 versions of iTunes so far. From what I remember, there has been Blue, Purple, Green, and another color that I can't think of right now.

People make icons for it too, in all sorts of cool colors.

http://www.gowan.us/itunes.jpg

Edit: These aren't official Apple icons, just ones that people have created.

post #12 of 22
iTunes' first icon had three single notes on it. They were blue, purple and red. The second version's icon was the blue one, with the 'double' note we have now. Then came iTunes 3, which had a purple 'double' note. And last for now is iTunes 4, which has a green note.

Thank you, Wayback Machine.
post #13 of 22
Wow...I had forgotten about the old icons...I just remembered the colors. Wayback Machine rules. Brings back old memories...it's cool to see how the interface has changed from 1 all the way to 4. We've come a long way!

post #14 of 22
Maestro has a cool rover icon
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #15 of 22
I had the Snow.E icons on my computer for a long time, but reverted to the default set when I installed Panther.

And while I know they're not icons, I love the Adobe splash screens. I haven't seen the ones for CS, but the latest Acrobat splash screen is very cool, and the one for Image Ready 7 is beautiful.
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
Model: TiBook, Speed: 500mhz, RAM: 512 megs, OS: 10.4.1, Name: Rendezvous
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
post #16 of 22
The CS splash screens are really neat...well at least the image part, I don't really like the white box because it's so plain, but what else are you gonna do? The CS icons are just small versions of their splash screen which is cool.

That mars rover is a picture that was extracted...I mean I know we have geeks on here, but if you think a mars rover is pretty, well...

Some of the icons are neat, but some of them look like gloried clip art

To each their own, here are pics of the icons I was talking about...

Explorer: Safari: FireFox (Me):

FireFox (Original): QuarkXPress:

CS Suite
Photoshop: ImageReady: GoLive:
Illustrator: InDesign:

Who knows, maybe I have a thing for browsers\

I guess I just don't like a real cartoony looking icons like Acquisition and Poisoned as an example.

Edit: Do all these icons look darker then normal? Perhaps the grey background.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
FireFox:

That's not FireFox's icon. If you're going to talk icons, post the real thing and not your Illustrator copy.
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
That's not FireFox's icon. If you're going to talk icons, post the real thing and not your Illustrator copy.

Don't shoot!

I should have specified what was what, and I fixed it. Do I get any redemption points for at least saying about it's my own earlier?
Quote:
m partial to the icon I made for firefox as well, but I guess anyone likes what they themselves made right?

Eh?\

I guess I should have done Save For Web because they are all a lot more magenta than they should be.

Example, this is what it should look like, not that red:

post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
Maestro has a cool rover icon

Im interested to download it but to take up half of my ram i don't don't think so.
post #20 of 22
stylistically, i like the adobe cs icons, but, just like everything else, they are VERY marketing driven, as opposed to, you know, telling in a snapshot what the app actually does. i guess their apps' icons have been that way for a while now.

by the way, i'll throw in my least favorite.... macromedia. you friggin' name it. i don't know what annoys me more, the almost illegible-at-times klingon script they have for letters, or the fact that this branding doesn't tell you what the app does, or how they don't change the icons between revisions (dreamweaver mx and mx 2004 are EXACTLY the same), or how anyone outside an english-speaking country might not understand what the hell they are at all. as a matter of fact, i think i dislike any "letter" icons. hell, my dock is practically alphabet soup as it is.

as far as favorites, just about ANYthing from David Brasgalla at iconfactory. i just don't know how he does it. apple's icons are generally very good (though the finder icon seems to hedge towards marketing than anything else).
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #21 of 22
I like the GarageBand icon. It's a work of art. m.
Killing me isn't going to help you. It isn't going to do me much good either, is it? -- The Doctor
Killing me isn't going to help you. It isn't going to do me much good either, is it? -- The Doctor
post #22 of 22
I don't think it's that important for an icon to give an indication of what the program does, unless it's a bundled app. For instance, it is good iTunes to have an icon that relates to it's function. When someone turns on their Mac for the first time, there's the iTunes icon in the dock, and they know right away, "oh, that must be what I use to play my CDs." But for applications that someone has to buy outright, like the macromedia apps, it's not as important. I bought Dreamweaver; I spent a lot of money on it. If I don't know what it does, then there is a problem. As long as I know what icon is associated with Dreamweaver, that's all that really matters. This is not to say that I like macromedia's icons. I much preferred the old style icons (even though they bore absolutely no inherent relation to the applications whatsoever), they just looked nicer. Thgankfully I found a nice compromise on xicons.

I can't find them on xicons any more, but they are called "Macromedia - Old and New" I don't remember who they were by, but I use them for the Macromedia apps I have now.

Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The Best Looking (Pretty) Icons