or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bush *jokes* about not finding WMD...

Bush *jokes* about not finding WMD... - Page 2

post #41 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship
I agree with you on this Shawn

Fellowship

Perhaps you ought to read it without the spin.

Quote:
THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all. Thank you. Thanks for inviting me -- finally. (Laughter.) And thank you for honoring David Bloom. It was a fantastic speech you gave for a man you loved.

I am sorry Laura couldn't be here. And I'm sorry Secretary Rumsfeld is not here, either. The guy constantly surprises me. Do you know what Rummy's favorite TV show is? "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy." (Laughter.) My Cabinet could take some pointers from watching that show. In fact, I'm going to have the Fab Five do a make over on Ashcroft. (Laughter.)

Anyway, it's nice to be with you. A couple of years ago when I was here, I read from my book of "Misarticalations." (Laughter.) Fortunately, my verbal phonation and electricution -- (laughter) -- have improved. So tonight I'm going to do one of my slide shows. These are actual, unstaged photos pulled from the files of the White House Photo Office. So, ladies and gentlemen, I present a White House Election-Year Album. (Applause.)

As you know, the contest with my opponent is going to be a slugfest. I'm feeling good. (Laughter.) I'm feeling ready. (Laughter.) I'm psyching myself up for the fight. (Laughter.) I knew it was going to be a tough campaign when Karl Rove started dressing like this. (Laughter.) And this is Condi Rice, of course. Here I am trying to explain John Kerry's foreign policy. (Laughter.)

I have to admit it really ticked me off when Democrats questioned my National Guard service in Alabama. Here's a photo proving that I was in Alabama fulfilling my duties. (Laughter.) Political campaigns always have their unexpected moments. This next photo is when I heard that Senator McCain said he was considering being Kerry's running mate. (Laughter.) The next one was taken a couple of months ago. I had just gotten word that Howard Dean had lost Iowa. (Laughter and applause.)

In addition to campaign calls, I also spend a lot of time on the phone listening to our European allies. (Laughter.) The conversation went like this: "Hey, John, Kim Jung-il here." (Laughter.) "Just wanted to call and let you know you're my guy." (Laughter.)

Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be somewhere. (Laughter and applause.)

As you can tell from the look on Andy Card's face, we've become a little concerned about the Vice President lately. (Laughter.) Whenever you ask him a question, he replies, "Let's see what my little friend says." (Laughter.) But we get along well. Here I am saying, "Dick, if the Hunan Palace doesn't get lunch here in four minutes, we're going out." (Laughter.)

Nope, no weapons over there. (Laughter and applause.) Maybe under here. (Laughter.) Oops, this photo wasn't supposed to be in here. This is the Skull and Bones secret signal. (Laughter.)

I'm not paranoid. (Laughter.) But it was at this point in my presidency that I had a strange feeling somebody was following me. (Laughter.)

One thing about being President is you get lots of advice. Yes, Mother. (Laughter.) Yes, Mother. (Laughter.) Mother, would you just listen to us for once. (Laughter.)

I like this next picture a lot. It's hard to get Rumsfeld to laugh, but when he does, boy, it is worth it. (Laughter.) This photo was taken down at the ranch, and as you can tell, Barney is not very happy with me. This is the day I told him he'd been neutered. (Laughter.) And this is the day that Barney got his revenge. (Laughter.)

Now, on long flights, the staff and I often play cards. The key to playing Poker is keeping a straight face and never letting your opponent know what you're thinking. (Laughter.) Actually, this is on the way to the G8 summit. Once I got these trading cards, it's easy to remember the names of the foreign leaders. (Laughter and applause.)

All Presidents have dreams and aspirations of what their legacy will be. Here they are measuring me for Mt. Rushmore. (Laughter.)

But I do have a few serious photos to show you, in closing. It's photos like these that mean the most to me. Some of our Special Forces sent me this last picture. The faces are blurred in the slide because they remain in harm's way. The photo hangs in my private study next to the Oval Office.

To honor those who died on September the 11th, and to make a statement of their own commitment to this country's security, these Americans buried a piece of the World Trade Center in a place in Afghanistan where the al Qaeda once ran free. They wrote that they held a ceremony, which was far more emotional than they had expected. The team leader wrote a prayer and a dedication. Let me read you one sentence from that dedication.

"We consecrate this spot as an everlasting memorial to the brave Americans who died on September the 11th, so that all who would seek to do her harm will know that America will not stand by and watch terror prevail."

We will not stand by. The greatest honor being President is leading such men and women. We have the freedom we enjoy tonight because they protect that freedom. And may God protect them.

Thank you very much. (Applause.)

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #42 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
Newsflash: America does not own the world. Pakistan is a sovereign state with its own laws.

I agree America does not own the world.

However I am not a fan of WMD proliferation for obvious reasons and I simply believe (and this is only my opinion) that the entire world (UN) or other form of governing body should demand real punishment to people that proliferate WMD.

As a side note about you raising the issue about Pakistan being a sovereign state with its own laws,, Do you dismiss this argument in regard to Iraq?

Quote:
And why are some European countries right for following public opinion and staying out of the war, but Pakistan is wrong for following its public's opinion and condemning - but not jailing - its "national hero"?

Their "national hero" proliferated WMD technology and materials to questionable parties.

Just because a person is a "national hero" does not mean they are immune to doing something against the interests of humanity at large and should be immune from punishment.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #43 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Perhaps you ought to read it without the spin.
Nick

After reading the transcript I still believe it was unfortunate that the Joking about WMD was carried out for reasons that John Kerry has stated in his reply to this issue.

Following the joking with a bit of recognition of the troops is not enough to sweep the unfortunate jokes under the rug in my opinion.

Fellows

post #44 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
Well that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. How exactly do we stop "acting like we do"?

Eh? by not getting tangled up in world affairs that don't need to pertain to us. Converting people to democracy..et al.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #45 of 287
Quote:
However I am not a fan of WMD proliferation for obvious reasons and I simply believe (and this is only my opinion) that the entire world (UN) or other form of governing body should demand real punishment to people that proliferate WMD.

The UN has no power or right to dole out judicial rulings and/or punishments associated with the aforementioned proceedings to any citizen of any sovereign nation.

UN resolutions are not law. Let that be clear. Any agreement made in the UN can be broken by any involved party without direct retribution for the breach of contract. Sure, nations can agree to 'punish' a country through the UN (i.e. agree to economic sanctions) but in itself, the UN does not 'punish' nations or individuals. The UN cannot extridite anybody.

The closest thing that exists to handle an issue of this sort is the International Court of Justice in the Hague.

Quote:
Their "national hero" proliferated WMD technology and materials to questionable parties.

Just because a person is a "national hero" does not mean they are immune to doing something against the interests of humanity at large and should be immune from punishment.

Fellows

At the risk of repeating something I posted eariler, Musharref will not do anything to compromise his political future.

Jailing, executing, or doing anything else of the sort to a "national hero" would seriously undermine Musharref's stance with his own people.

He won't touch this guy with a ten foot pole.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #46 of 287
Quote:
One thing about being President is you get lots of advice. Yes, Mother. (Laughter.) Yes, Mother. (Laughter.) Mother, would you just listen to us for once. (Laughter.)

Actually, I found this part quite funny.

It reminds me a lot of my own mother.

j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #47 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by job
Actually, I found this part quite funny.

It reminds me a lot of my own mother.

Well I don't because I just can't get over that bit where he's making fun of other people's misfortune. I was taught at quite a young age that this is never right. It's the equivalent of running away with a cripple's wheelchair and then standing back and laughing while they drag themselves along the pavement.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #48 of 287
Quote:
After reading the transcript I still believe it was unfortunate that the Joking about WMD was carried out for reasons that John Kerry has stated in his reply to this issue.

Following the joking with a bit of recognition of the troops is not enough to sweep the unfortunate jokes under the rug in my opinion.

Fellows

Well I guess Kerry needs to hire some joke writers as well.

Quote:
But Kerry himself has had trouble with pushing the humor envelope.

"Somebody told me the other day that the Secret Service has orders that if George Bush is shot, they're to shoot Quayle," Kerry joked in 1988. The Massachusetts Democrat then said, "There isn't any press here, is there?"

Gee Presidential and Vice-Presidential assasination. So funny....really.... these are the jokes folks...ba-dum...dum...dumb....

Nick

post #49 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
Well I don't because I just can't get over that bit where he's making fun of other people's misfortune. I was taught at quite a young age that this is never right. It's the equivalent of running away with a cripple's wheelchair and then standing back and laughing while they drag themselves along the pavement.

Errr...? What?

I was talking about the part I quoted. The part about his mother giving him constant "advice."

How on Earth does that have to do with cripples in wheelchairs???

j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #50 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by job
Errr...? What?

I was talking about the part I quoted. The part about his mother giving him constant "advice."

How on Earth does that have to do with cripples in wheelchairs???

I am referring directly to the subject of this thread. A little more than an unfortunate joke me thinks. I note the failure of so many of either persuasion to address this directly. I don't blame you. Our sychophantic PM is bad enough. I'd be in denial too if he was as big an idiot as George.
post #51 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by job

Why is Musharraf in power right now? Because the US wants him there. Who are his bodyguards? US special forces. Why is Pakistan starting to go into tribal areas?
Quote:
Jailing, executing, or doing anything else of the sort to a "national hero" would seriously undermine Musharref's stance with his own people.

Not only can you not spell the name, but you say this like it is news.
Quote:
He won't touch this guy with a ten foot pole.

But not because we can't.

We won't because he's our guy running pakistan.

What Khan did will likely turn out to be the most significant factor in international relations for the next couple decades and has changed the course of world history dramatically.
post #52 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777

Intentionally meddling in another government's decisions, that could fuel anti-US sentiment in a politically volatile and nuclear-threatened region of the world, would be even more dumb.

Newsflash: America does not own the world. Pakistan is a sovereign state with its own laws.

we meddled in iraq, it fueled anti-US sentiment for a false claim of WMD
iraq is a sovereign state with its own laws

pakistan has WMD and gave WMD to "hostile" countries...why invade one but not the other?? why invade one and not even slap the hand of the other?? that is all fellows is asking...bushie can't answer because the answer will hurt him badly...he wanted saddam, he lied to america about it and he (well not he, but soldiers he put out on the front line) went and got him...all on the american peoples dime and the american peoples psyche...but i'm sure he sleeps soundly on big fluffy pillows as 585 american mothers cry themselves to sleep each night, nightmares each night of their child being killed so young and so far from home....

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #53 of 287
Quote:
And then you have This

Then you have:

"Pakistan's president pardoned the country's top nuclear scientist Thursday for leaking weapons technology to Iran, Libya and North Korea."

And you have this:
"Musharraf was unapologetic about pardoning Khan, whom he referred to as a "hero" many times in a two-hour news conference at army headquarters Thursday. "Whatever I have done, I have tried to shield him," he said."

Taken from This Link

Where are Bush and Blair on this? Funny they do not demand our "US friendly" partner Pakistan to seize Kahn's home and assets and put him in prison or worse.

Double FREAKING Standards. Bush has no integrity. The war in Iraq was not about WMD. If WMD were the concern Kahn would either be dead or in prison today not keeping his millions and his mansions in Pakistan.

Yes this pisses me off.

Fellowship

Why go after Kahn? He's just the tool in Pakistan's machine.
post #54 of 287
Why go after Hussein's cronies? They were just his tools. Why not just arrest the country?

There is no defending Bush here, it is pathetic and sad.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #55 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Why go after Kahn? He's just the tool in Pakistan's machine.

What would you suggest?

Fellows

post #56 of 287
Quote:
You know, at this point it really doesn't matter what Bush does...the Bush haters will attack him for everything. .

You know, at this point it really doesn't matter what Bush does . . . SDW will still see rosy brilliant leadership
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #57 of 287
The jokes are in poor taste . . . they reveal a flaw in reading the situation

I wouldn't get too huffy about it though . . . but then again, my son was not killed in Iraq either

Bet the other jokes and pictures were pretty funy though
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #58 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
The jokes are in poor taste . . . they reveal a flaw in reading the situation

I wouldn't get too huffy about it though . . . but then again, my son was not killed in Iraq either

Bet the other jokes and pictures were pretty funy though

David Corn put it nicely ,
Quote:
Even if Bush does not believe he lied to or misled the public, how can he make fun of the rationale for a war that has killed and maimed thousands? Imagine if Lyndon Johnson had joked about the trumped-up Gulf of Tonkin incident that he deceitfully used as a rationale for U.S. military action in Vietnam: "Who knew that fish had torpedoes?" Or if Ronald Reagan appeared at a correspondents event following the truck-bombing at the Marines barracks in Beirut--which killed over 200 American servicemen--and said, "Guess we forgot to put in a stop light." Or if Clinton had come out after the bombing of Serbia--during which U.S. bombs errantly destroyed the Chinese embassy and killed several people there--and said, "The problem is, those embassies--they all look alike."
post #59 of 287
re: transcript of Bush's speech.

On a simplistic level, the speech is very funny, I did laugh when he says he's playing poker to remember the names of world leaders.

However, as I've said in another thread, the job of presidency must at all times be a reflection of the seriousness and responsibility that the position demands. Joking about the lies of WMD and the issues that have cost the lives of tens of thousands of people is simply unacceptable and really, just plain dumb, in any circumstance. I doubt any of the parents of dead servicemen, or even the living ones under daily attack, found it funny, nor the families of 10000 dead iraqis, nor anyone with a decent sense of moral consciousness.

I 100% agree with fellowship. If i was in the US, I wouldn't want to choose between Bush or Kerry, both are equally Vile.
post #60 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
Why go after Hussein's cronies? They were just his tools. Why not just arrest the country?

There is no defending Bush here, it is pathetic and sad.

I still don't get this. What would you have him do?

Arresting the guy is outside his jurisdiction, isolating Pakistan is dangerous and destabilizing. Does no one remember how hard it was to get them onside in the first place? This is a country that, along with India, has elements in it prepared to launch Armaggedon over a piece of real estate.

How does anyone know that US displeasure has not been voiced through diplomatic channels? Does any thinking person really believe that Musharraf would alienate the few grassroots supprters he has, to jail someone with this guy's public support?

Is it worth having hardline elements sympathetic to Al Queda retaking the Gov't simply to say we did something? The trafficking has been stopped and can't be undone.

I understand the anti-Bush posters that are common in every AO thread. What I don't understand are those (both left and right in this thread) who would seem to be ignoring the geo-politics of the region and thinking all this is happening in a vacuum.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #61 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
Why is Musharraf in power right now? Because the US wants him there. Who are his bodyguards? US special forces. Why is Pakistan starting to go into tribal areas?

Not only can you not spell the name, but you say this like it is news.

But not because we can't.

We won't because he's our guy running pakistan.

What Khan did will likely turn out to be the most significant factor in international relations for the next couple decades and has changed the course of world history dramatically.

Wow! Two pages of nonsense until giant finally hits the nail on the head. The US had known about Khan for awhile now and had been keeping track of what he was up to. Remember the NK ship intercepted in international waters with the help of the Spanish? How about Libya coming clean? And Iran? That's just what we know publicly.

And who says the US hasn't severely reprimanded Pakistan? For two years they have done practically nothing inside their borders and all of the sudden a major operation is taking place. And that's just on the surface.

The same people who fault the Administration for not acting diplomatically now faults them when they do. Go figure.
post #62 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
re: transcript of Bush's speech.
However, as I've said in another thread, the job of presidency must at all times be a reflection of the seriousness and responsibility that the position demands. Joking about the lies of WMD and the issues that have cost the lives of tens of thousands of people is simply unacceptable and really, just plain dumb, in any circumstance. I doubt any of the parents of dead servicemen, or even the living ones under daily attack, found it funny, nor the families of 10000 dead iraqis, nor anyone with a decent sense of moral consciousness...

Bush wasn't joking about the lies of WMD's...he was joking that they haven't been found yet. And he wasn't joking at the armed forces. Quite the opposite in fact, since in practically every speech the president gives he praises the sacrifice and courage they endure and this one was no exception.
post #63 of 287
Quote:
You know, at this point it really doesn't matter what Bush does...the Bush haters will attack him for everything. God forbid the President shows a sense of humor about what is surely an embarrassment for him (and it is whether you think he lied or not).

Get over it.

I hope he has a sense of humor, especially being the joke that he is.

I'm not so sure the families of those who died or are still in the field would agree with him.
Take this seriously, but don't take the serious, seriously.
post #64 of 287
Quote:
And then you have This

Re: Saudi flights after 9.11

Am I reading this right? Is this confirmation that flights of Saudis left the US during the ban?
post #65 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Well I guess Kerry needs to hire some joke writers as well.

Gee Presidential and Vice-Presidential assasination. So funny....really.... these are the jokes folks...ba-dum...dum...dumb....

Nick

OK... THAT WAS not only FUNNY but hopefully true. Dan Quayle was the best bullet proof vest a president ever had.

And nobody is saying these jokes aren't funny. I'll admit, I can picture that dumb grin on his face as he looks around the oval office for ANY WMDs, just to show the press they're SOMEWHERE.

They're in bad taste and inappropriate at a time when men and women are dieing because he has them searching for WMDs that don't exist.
post #66 of 287
Quote:
As for Iraq, you may be stunned to know there are still those that feel the war was needed. Actually, 57% of Americans think it was worth it....according to recent polls. [/B]

The stupidity is beyond amazing.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #67 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by FaydRautha
And nobody is saying these jokes aren't funny.

The WMD jokes are not funny.
post #68 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by k squared
Bush wasn't joking about the lies of WMD's...he was joking that they haven't been found yet. And he wasn't joking at the armed forces. Quite the opposite in fact, since in practically every speech the president gives he praises the sacrifice and courage they endure and this one was no exception.

The fact that you really don't seem to understand the context of my post is probably funniest of all!
post #69 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by thegelding
we meddled in iraq, it fueled anti-US sentiment for a false claim of WMD
iraq is a sovereign state with its own laws

pakistan has WMD and gave WMD to "hostile" countries...why invade one but not the other?? why invade one and not even slap the hand of the other?? that is all fellows is asking...bushie can't answer because the answer will hurt him badly...he wanted saddam, he lied to america about it and he (well not he, but soldiers he put out on the front line) went and got him...all on the american peoples dime and the american peoples psyche...but i'm sure he sleeps soundly on big fluffy pillows as 585 american mothers cry themselves to sleep each night, nightmares each night of their child being killed so young and so far from home....

g

Well Mr Obvious, I think you have just pointed out how having the "big one" with regard to nuclear bombs dramatically changes the rules. You can do a lot more to a country before they have one than you can to a country after they have one. Think of it as arguing with your neighbor while he is holding a rake, and then arguing with him after he is holding a gun.

Gee, suddenly you weren't so forceful, you didn't treat him the same as the guy with the rake, you suddenly seemed to consider what he was saying a lot more heavily..... etc....

If anything you show why Bush and company were exactly right to do what they did. The Middle East is already a giant cluster f*ck, but at least now it isn't a cluster f*ck consolidated under a guy with nukes. Once a country gets that power, the rules simply change, which is why all these countries are attempting to work toward that.

Bush is likely "riding the back of the bear" in dealing with this. He can't condemn them while likely working on something in the background to get this taken care of.

Nick

post #70 of 287
i'm not sure why anyone would joke about the WMD situation. he may still think they'll find some, but even if they did that doens't mean you joke about it now.

some subjects are prone to humor, period. this is one of them.

*sigh*
post #71 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by X X
The world is not black and white. You do not solve all problems the same. To sit in front of your computer and read a couple of news articles here and there and then think that you have a lucid idea to all the politics behind stage is absurbed. Pakistan and Iraq are on opposite ends of the rainbow when it comes to dealing with them.

I'll say this one last time...

The Iraq war was not about WMD. It was a red herring to get the people of this country and the world behind the idea of removing Saddam's regime from power. That's all! I don't think anybody in our government felt threatened by the supposed WMD that Saddam had, and I don't think Saddam would've been so stupid to have done anything to make us feel threatened had he had them.

Oh I get it! So the president decided we couldn't make the right decision on this so he baited us with false info to get us to go along? Then all those people died for something that was basically a lie? So really we aren't in charge of the country when we elect an official to do that job for us? So when we vote we give up that freedom? I get it.

The scary thing is I think you're basically right about how this went down! Any president who thinks he can make major life and death decisions for us by lieing to us needs to get the hell out of office right away!

OUT THE DOOR IN 2004!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #72 of 287
Quote:
You know, at this point it really doesn't matter what Bush does...the Bush haters will attack him for everything. God forbid the President shows a sense of humor about what is surely an embarrassment for him (and it is whether you think he lied or not).

Get over it.

It'll be over in November.
post #73 of 287
Quote:
Honestly they both make me sick to my stomache.

I may not vote

Fellowship

If you feel this way you need to vote. If Bush was reelected I'm sure he'd have another 4 years to do more damage. And this time he isn't trying to get reelected so he might feel free to do anything.

Say you're right about Kerry ( I happen to like the man so far ) one thing's for sure. It would be nothing compared to the Bush government who doesn't have to worry about reelection.
post #74 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
The stupidity is beyond amazing.

post #75 of 287
There is no point to this thread. Pakistan would not hand over Khan even if demanded, and he still would have been pardoned.

It's like demanding the Saudi King hand over any one of his corrupt sons. It just isn't going to happen.

We can blame Bush all we want, but we've no access to any information regarding what kind of pressure was put on behind the scenes, if any. And if the whole cause is to bring to justice someone who proliferates nuclear arms, perhaps we ought to spend more time going after ex-soviets as well? Where's the pressure from people in this thread to do that?

It seems many like to feel W has the omnipotent Jedi Mind Trick like ability to get people to do his bidding, create false intelligence within and outside of the US from thin air, and single handedly conduct a four year long conspiracy to deceive and oppress his citizens, all the while trying to dominate the world. And in the same breath he's criticized for being an idiot with poor college grades, that can't eat without choking, or enunciate correctly. You can't have it both ways.

I'm by no means a Bush fan, but he can't be the root cause of every problem facing global politics today. It's too naive a viewpoint.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #76 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by rageous
There is no point to this thread. Pakistan would not hand over Khan even if demanded, and he still would have been pardoned.

It's like demanding the Saudi King hand over any one of his corrupt sons. It just isn't going to happen.

We can blame Bush all we want, but we've no access to any information regarding what kind of pressure was put on behind the scenes, if any. And if the whole cause is to bring to justice someone who proliferates nuclear arms, perhaps we ought to spend more time going after ex-soviets as well? Where's the pressure from people in this thread to do that?

It seems many like to feel W has the omnipotent Jedi Mind Trick like ability to get people to do his bidding, create false intelligence within and outside of the US from thin air, and single handedly conduct a four year long conspiracy to deceive and oppress his citizens, all the while trying to dominate the world. And in the same breath he's criticized for being an idiot with poor college grades, that can't eat without choking, or enunciate correctly. You can't have it both ways.

I'm by no means a Bush fan, but he can't be the root cause of every problem facing global politics today. It's too naive a viewpoint.

Yes but like the rest of us he works for somebody. Unfortunately it isn't the people who voted him into office.
post #77 of 287
i hate american double standards

post iraq:
"hey everybody make fun of the president for not finding wmd's!!!!!"

after president makes jokes about himself:
"wmd's are not a funny topic. how could our president say such a bad thing about himself regarding them?????"

and another one run into the ground:
"families of the victims of 9/11 blah blah blah...."

9/11 happened and the problems are being fixed--move on and dont dwell on the past.

if youre gonna make fun of the president, dont b**ch about him making fun of himself.
post #78 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by rageous
Pakistan would not hand over Khan even if demanded, and he still would have been pardoned. It's like demanding the Saudi King hand over any one of his corrupt sons. It just isn't going to happen.

No it's not. Totally different situation, for a ridiculous number of reasons.

Pakistan would not hand over Khan because the US doesn't want him to. The US wants to keep the status quo in pakistan, and that part is not at all particular to the Bush admin.

Quote:
We can blame Bush all we want, but we've no access to any information regarding what kind of pressure was put on behind the scenes, if any.

Sure we do. Here's just one example:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040308fa_fact

Just because you haven't looked for info and/or found it doesn't mean public channels aren't saturated.

Now, the current admin is to blame for letting it go on as long as it did. The admin's focus was in the wrong place.
post #79 of 287
Also important is that taking Khan out now does nothing to solve the problem.
post #80 of 287
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
Re: Saudi flights after 9.11

Am I reading this right? Is this confirmation that flights of Saudis left the US during the ban?

ignore if you already got a reply....

They grilled Clarke on this---he said there was a request from the SA that they "were afraid of reprisal attacks" and wanted to leave. Clarke said no and sent the request over to the FBI and they checked it out before allowing the plane to leave. Clarke also said he was fairly certain that the passenger manifest, in retrospect, didn't have anyone they wanted to "talk" to.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bush *jokes* about not finding WMD...