or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › does anyone else think safari 1.2 is terrible?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

does anyone else think safari 1.2 is terrible?

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
i hope they come up with something soon to fix it. 1.2 fvcks my sites up. text/tables jump around when clicking from one section to the next. i have this problem with IE as well. Opera works fine. This problem doesn't happen when viewing my sites on a PC

to make matters worse. it only does it for some pages and not others!. there's no rhyme or reason to this problem
post #2 of 33
Thread Starter 
Here's what the apple website says;

Precision layout
Rest assured, Safari renders web pages properly according to the latest Internet standards. So pages that use advanced HTML, XML, XHTML, DOM, CSS, JavaScript and Java specifications just look right. And of course you can view the content in QuickTime, Flash and Shockwave plug-ins. Going beyond standard accuracy, pages in Safari look beautiful, thanks to fully anti-aliased text. Safari takes advantage of Panthers rich support for Unicode, which lets you view sites in different writing systems, such as English and other Roman languages, Japanese, Chinese, Hebrew or Arabic even on the same page.

check out my site
and tell me if you get tables jumping around using Safari and IE
post #3 of 33
The only time I notice content shift is when the browser window has to render a scroll bar and column, which offsets your content to the left about, what, 20 pixels? Any specific order of pages we should hit if that isn't the problem?
post #4 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCash
The only time I notice content shift is when the browser window has to render a scroll bar and column, which offsets your content to the left about, what, 20 pixels? Any specific order of pages we should hit if that isn't the problem?

that's right. is there anyway to stop this from happening?

the pages that are out of wack are the discography page and then if you go to the press section and click on most of the articles you have this offset of about 20 pixels or whatever amount it is.

all the pages use the same template

thanks for looking
post #5 of 33
Thread Starter 
it usually only happens with sites they are centered but it also happens with this site of mine

click on the ress section, then click the pumpkin faries article to see what i mean. 2 other articles do this shifting too, but the rest don't
post #6 of 33
All I know is that huge rainbow header is annoying to have to scroll past just to read the content every time you click a link.

No offense.

Are you on a large monitor?
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
post #7 of 33
Well, there isn't really a way around it, unless you force scrollbars onto every page. That would just be silly though.

It's the viewport that gets smaller when it needs to draw the scrollbars. Can't really do anything about that one.
post #8 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCash
Well, there isn't really a way around it, unless you force scrollbars onto every page. That would just be silly though.

It's the viewport that gets smaller when it needs to draw the scrollbars. Can't really do anything about that one.

is there css that will allow you to force scrollbars for safari? i'm off to look now

looking at my wife's PC i see that Mozilla and IE automatically create scrollbars, that why it's not problem on that platform

thanks for your help. i knew the problem but made me see the light as to the problem
post #9 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
All I know is that huge rainbow header is annoying to have to scroll past just to read the content every time you click a link.

No offense.

Are you on a large monitor?

yeah. you'd have to sroll a lot anyways
post #10 of 33
Thread Starter 
supposedly putting scroll="yes" in the body tag forces IE to always create scroll bars but IE for the PC already does this. well it didn't work for me
post #11 of 33
i don't think it is terrible, a little slow, but i'm sure that's my machine...eh, my opinion
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
Reply
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
Reply
post #12 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by mattjohndrow
i don't think it is terrible, a little slow, but i'm sure that's my machine...eh, my opinion

it's supposed be slow
post #13 of 33
well, my machine is a 400 Mhz G3 iMac, running panther, so...
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
Reply
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
Reply
post #14 of 33
There's still also a long standing (complex) frame issue. It doesn't render them pixelperfect. Not as bad as NS, but still.
Look at this website, and notice the thin horizontal line in the (colored) frameset. It's there since the beta, and it's still not resolved.
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
Reply
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
Reply
post #15 of 33
FYI it does the same jumping around on my Linux box running Epiphany (the Gnome browser based on Mozilla, sort of like a Linux version of Camino).

Less helpfully, I have to comment that if your building a site that is just a big split-up table in the year 2004 then you shouldn't really be criticising a browser for it's standards compliance.
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
Reply
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
Reply
post #16 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by stupider...likeafox
FYI it does the same jumping around on my Linux box running Epiphany (the Gnome browser based on Mozilla, sort of like a Linux version of Camino).

Less helpfully, I have to comment that if your building a site that is just a big split-up table in the year 2004 then you shouldn't really be criticising a browser for it's standards compliance.

well it's not a standards compliance problem as it turns out. safari just doesn't render the scrollbars automatically like browsers for PCs
post #17 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by BigBlue
There's still also a long standing (complex) frame issue. It doesn't render them pixelperfect. Not as bad as NS, but still.
Look at this website, and notice the thin horizontal line in the (colored) frameset. It's there since the beta, and it's still not resolved.

i didn't see it
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by burningwheel
i didn't see it

Sometimes you see it, then you don't
Change the browser size a bit.
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
Reply
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
Reply
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by burningwheel
i didn't see it

I see a white horizontal line at the bottom, below discography in situ.
post #20 of 33
v1.2 fixed every compatibility issue I've had in the past. However, it also does things(specifically animated .gifs) a lot slower than IE, camino, and Omni ever did. \
orange you just glad?
Reply
orange you just glad?
Reply
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by burningwheel
well it's not a standards compliance problem as it turns out. safari just doesn't render the scrollbars automatically like browsers for PCs

This is a Macintosh Human Interface Guideline going way back: If you don't need scrollbars, don't display them.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
post #22 of 33
I'd rather have unnecessary scrollbars than have my page's content jumping around.

What must I do, declare body height:101%; ?!
post #23 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by unremarkable
I'd rather have unnecessary scrollbars than have my page's content jumping around.

What must I do, declare body height:101%; ?!

me too hey i'll try that!
post #24 of 33
Thread Starter 
unremarkable, i think i love you

... but don't tell my wife

this fixes it for safari , mozilla and IE

html,body {
height: 105%;
}

edit: i've been working on this problem on and off for days. nobody on any other fourm has been able to solve this problem

man... Ai should have a html help forum so i can get problems solved sooner
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
This is a Macintosh Human Interface Guideline going way back: If you don't need scrollbars, don't display them.

I always thought the opposite, that the guidline was to always have a scrollbar if you think you ever might need it to prevent exactly this jumping around effect. For example the text box I'm typing in right now in safari has the empty channel for a scrollbar but the blue gel slug will only appear if I type enough text.

edit: I just tried TextEdit, NetNewsWire, Terminal and Tofu, all are the same, with an empty scrollbar always present (though Tofu has it on the horizontal axis.
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
Reply
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
Reply
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by ericg
I see a white horizontal line at the bottom, below discography in situ.

That's the one.
A proof that there's still work to be done at Safari's frame rendering.
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
Reply
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
Reply
post #27 of 33
Slightly on topic, does anyone know how to stop Safari from automatically playing Flash ?
Stoo
Reply
Stoo
Reply
post #28 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by BigBlue
Sometimes you see it, then you don't
Change the browser size a bit.

i thought that part of the design i see what you mean. i'll look into it for ya
post #29 of 33
Safari doesn't support <object>, and doesn't even fall back, anything contained in <object> is not displayed, and some people report their use of <object> causes it to crash!

Plus its slow, it seems like it will only open about 4 concurrent connections for the whole app, so loading multiple tabs takes for ever if the sites have lots of images/etc.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by biaachmonkie
Plus its slow, it seems like it will only open about 4 concurrent connections for the whole app, so loading multiple tabs takes for ever if the sites have lots of images/etc.

This is a problem that many people have complained about. Why only 4 connections, I wonder.... It's a lame restriction.
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Stoo
Slightly on topic, does anyone know how to stop Safari from automatically playing Flash ?

remove the flash plugin
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
Reply
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
Reply
post #32 of 33
If you remove the Flash plugin you get errors on all Flash objects in a page. I'd still like to download the Flash applets, but just not play them.
Stoo
Reply
Stoo
Reply
post #33 of 33
i was just kidding

did you catch the " "
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
Reply
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › does anyone else think safari 1.2 is terrible?