or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.4 Tiger Feature Request

10.4 Tiger Feature Request - Page 6

post #201 of 244
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
But reembmer that the Special menu was only in the Finder. You always had to go to the Finder to shut down and such back then, the app was more central to the OS. Services need more than a more prominent place in the menu system, though they do. They need to do more, get more development and attention to detail from Apple and third parties. They should be more elegant.

Unfortunately, the iLife suite of apps access each others' data and circumvent services rather than work as an extension of that concept. I would like to see Services become more robust and be the kind of concourse for data that all apps can tie into more easily, and use lots more types of data in different formats, like how services and the pasteboard handle text now. There's a lot of potential to the idea, but it could just fade into obscurity.

I never use the services menu, whenever I try and use it, for grab only as it happens it never wants to work, I don;t see the point of it, and as most people wont use, it should stay where it is, it's easy enough to access at the moment. I don;t want it to have it's own title. It wouldn't be necessary for the vast majority of people, although they could make it an option!!!

[Or is this your point, no-one uses it!]
post #202 of 244
That's kind of a feedback loop as to why you don't use Services. Services aren't as pervasive, robust or apparent as they could be, so you don't use them. But you don't want to make them more robust, pervasive or apparent because you don't use them. If services were improved, you you feel the same way? For me, services should be improved so they earn more prominence in the OS. They are admittedly of limited use for now.

BTW, to use the Grab service, you need to be in an app that can create a TIFF document, like Photoshop or Create. The fact that it doesn't work in Photoshop says more about Photoshop than the Grab service.

PS: Enough about making everything an option! Options are cop-outs for more intelligent solutions. But that's another discussion.
post #203 of 244
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
As much as we'd be flattered, the odds of this site being bundled with OS X are long indeed.

Sorry I didn't write it correctly A.I. should be A.I.= (Artificial Intelligence).

I edited the post.

My error

Although it would be amusing to have a rumour site integrated into an O.S. yes thats (Operating system)
Just in case everyone mistakes it for (orange sherbet) Ha

Genuinely curios now, did you read the rest of the post? A good deal of effort went into writing it, theres actually some on topic stuff in that post, no one even picked on the ideas?

Heres a constructive idea for the trash someone suggested that it be included in the finder in the side bar so that it can be browsed not bad. Moreover lets take it one step further and allow files that have been trashed and not had their addresses overwritten be recovered. Sort of a two level trash, i.e. a folder that has yet to be condemned files in it and a sub level that contains files that are overwritten as the system is used but that can be salvaged if necessary.

How useful do you think this would be?

Cheers
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Necessity, who is the mother of invention. - Plato...
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Necessity, who is the mother of invention. - Plato...
post #204 of 244
Quote:
That's kind of a feedback loop as to why you don't use Services. Services aren't as pervasive, robust or apparent as they could be, so you don't use them. But you don't want to make them more robust, pervasive or apparent because you don't use them. If services were improved, you you feel the same way? For me, services should be improved so they earn more prominence in the OS. They are admittedly of limited use for now.

BTW, to use the Grab service, you need to be in an app that can create a TIFF document, like Photoshop or Create. The fact that it doesn't work in Photoshop says more about Photoshop than the Grab service.

PS: Enough about making everything an option! Options are cop-outs for more intelligent solutions. But that's another discussion.

you can't use grab in preview! I see what you're saying but I don't know, what are services for? Is it like a way of doing things you do often quickly or what?
post #205 of 244
I think services are a way to allow different apps to offer features to other apps, therefore making the system ass a whole more versatile and powerful. It just happens to be very poorly implemented, so it often looks like none of the services work. I think with time this should eventually correct itself (for the most part), as it is mostly up to the 3rd party developer to make sure his app supports services properly.
Ranger in training
PMDF
Ashan McNealy
Ranger in training
PMDF
Ashan McNealy
post #206 of 244
Quote:
Originally posted by Imergingenious
therefore making the system ass a whole...

You misspelled hole
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #207 of 244
ha thats hilarious.

Well thats what you get when you've been up all night.

45 minutes of sleep... yey!
Ranger in training
PMDF
Ashan McNealy
Ranger in training
PMDF
Ashan McNealy
post #208 of 244
http://www.apple.com/accessibility/spokeninterface/

Apples spoken interface technology is currently in development and scheduled for delivery in the next major release of Mac OS X.

Score 1 for Captain Obvious.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #209 of 244
Great article to explain it all: Service Call

Just substitute, "OpenStep" with, "Mac OS X."

The Grab service works in some of my Cocoa applications like Create and TIFFany. I don't know why it doesn't work in Preview. I would have thought it would work there too.
post #210 of 244
Quote:
Great article to explain it all...

Great read to understand it all

Indeed, it gave me a good grasp of the relationship between that openstep thing and my beloved platform, which probably emerged from this nextstep thing .
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #211 of 244
sorry mistake
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #212 of 244
Yes, NeXTstep changed its name to OpenStep when NeXT dumped its hardware operation. It's just the later versions of it, aiming more for the enterprise market. Sound familair?
post #213 of 244
I would like to see Address Book made more robust, have the ability to see others addresses via Rendevous exactly like iTunes and iPhoto. For example I have 4 computers networked in my house with my largest "database" of addresses on my "family computer" as of right now I have no way to access those addresses unless I "try" and use some useless third party app. I want it integrated.

Metadata would be an excellent addition if its done right.

After reading all of the previous posts, I agree that some if not all of the Services functions should be in the contextual menu, I can't tell you how many times I have made an archive and right clicked on it looking to email it only to end up bust. This would increase my work flow greatly.

An Apple database app built on open standards like postgre or mysql would be a most generous and welcome addition.

Other than that I just want them to WOW me with great innovation.

my 2¢

zen
Imagine all the people!!!
post #214 of 244
Quote:
Originally posted by averagezen
I would like to see Address Book made more robust, have the ability to see others addresses via Rendevous exactly like iTunes and iPhoto. For example I have 4 computers networked in my house with my largest "database" of addresses on my "family computer" as of right now I have no way to access those addresses unless I "try" and use some useless third party app. I want it integrated.

Apple sells Dot Mac for this very purpose. I doubt you're going to see Rendezvous support in Address Book.
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
post #215 of 244
dot mac is great when I'm on the road and need webmail. I have no need to have 300 vCards sync'd to .mac and then sync it to my laptop. I just want to be able to go and get an address if i need it. Rendevous is an apple architecture and should be incorporated into all of its apps.

Just my opinion.
post #216 of 244
Image capture should be merged into the System Preferences App much like the print and fax pane...

Image capture has the ability to share devices-who here knows about it?

the expose and dock panes could be merged into one similarly to how the Desktop and screen effects panes were consolidated...

3rd... multi-button mouse support should be better supported in the keyboard and mouse pane... currently there is no way to customize what each button does without loading some 3rd party driver... Why isn't this native?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #217 of 244
ultimately, the point of .Mac (no pun intended) is to synchronize computers, well, Macs anyway. For those of us who work on PCs a lot of the time, we only see part of this in action. But for those who use multiple Macs, .Mac is almost ideal. Still, pervasive Rendezvous would be great.

Anyway, who also knew that Image Capture lets you selectively import pictures, movies and songs, place them in their respective folders automatically and can run custom scripts of all sorts when you import them? It's really under-appreciated. Part of that is because it's out of the way. Part of that is because a lot of things are excused from not being more accessible because Applescript can handle it. That's fine for those who can write scripts, and really scripting is a great way to access these features and make custom features and workflow. I mean, that's the point of Applescript anyway. For others who don't know scripting but could take advantage of it, a more robust set of prepared scripts and better access to them from applications would be a very good idea. I still kind of see Services and AppleScript having the same sort of purpose, and I wonder how they might be combined or presented on equal terms to users, made more obvious to even Joe E-mail.
post #218 of 244
Save and Shutdown?? Ahh my fantasy.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #219 of 244
Save and shutdown?

Just shutdown, and hit return when the app thats closing asks if you want to save. I don't see the fantasy in this.
Ranger in training
PMDF
Ashan McNealy
Ranger in training
PMDF
Ashan McNealy
post #220 of 244
You missed the point.

It saves the current state of the memory (including VM) to disk, then on reboot, reads it back in. Essentially it freeze-dries what you're doing - all apps, files, etc, and lets you get back to the *exact* same point in your workflow automatically.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #221 of 244
what really bugs me:
when i double-click a folder in a finder window, which is set to collum-view, that particular window opens in an unpredictable view. Although the window-appearance is set previously to a certain appearance. hm. should be adressed in 10.4 or 10.3.5.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #222 of 244
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
You missed the point.

It saves the current state of the memory (including VM) to disk, then on reboot, reads it back in. Essentially it freeze-dries what you're doing - all apps, files, etc, and lets you get back to the *exact* same point in your workflow automatically.

I will blow a load if Steve demonstrates that at WWDC next month.
post #223 of 244
Quote:

I realize it would be more complicated, but I wonder if you could do something like this in conjunction with the rumored Home-On-iPod feature. It would be really cool if you could save your state when you logged out, move your iPod to a different computer and then start up where you left off.
post #224 of 244
Damn that's a neat idea. But doubtful it will be realistic in the next few years, because wouldn't you have to be going to and from the exact same system, since this is the OS loaded in to RAM you're talking about. Also doesn't seem useful enough to warrant; the whole purpose for Save and Shutdown or Hibernate as Windows calls it is for laptops to save battery. If you have a laptop you're going to be taking it with you, right?
post #225 of 244
Quote:
You missed the point.

so what VPC does when you hit apple-q and you 'save state'. its a cool feature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #226 of 244
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Damn that's a neat idea. But doubtful it will be realistic in the next few years, because wouldn't you have to be going to and from the exact same system, since this is the OS loaded in to RAM you're talking about. Also doesn't seem useful enough to warrant; the whole purpose for Save and Shutdown or Hibernate as Windows calls it is for laptops to save battery. If you have a laptop you're going to be taking it with you, right?

I was thinking about this the other day. Because Macs are so fast at starting up and also because it's a lot better for the computet to shut down and restart (it performs all the necessary checks on the system)surely it makes more sense to leave hibernation on the platform that crashes m$. Sometimes it's useful if you want to close your laptop and resum later on but doesn't sleep let you do this?

I want to see tabbed browsing in the finder, if they're going to use that clunky metal interface they should allow tabs!! Because the side bar isn't as flexible - you'd have to put every folder in it to use it for tabs!
post #227 of 244
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
I want to see tabbed browsing in the finder, if they're going to use that clunky metal interface they should allow tabs!! ...

kinda fuzzed logic, no
Anyway, do you see tabs in the finder as in safari, each tab represents a different (directory) state (not view!) of the finder window? That would funk me instantly, assured.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #228 of 244
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
kinda fuzzed logic, no
Anyway, do you see tabs in the finder as in safari, each tab represents a different (directory) state (not view!) of the finder window? That would funk me instantly, assured.

If you've got lots of windows open you could tidy them all up into tabs. So even though the sidebar doesn't have the window you want you can have quick access to it, quicker than expose and more effective, you could drag files to folders using them and quickly copy and past documents, it would tidy up the finder and be intuitive and I think it woul work really well. I don;t want Apple to do a windows though, I like safari and finder being separate apps.
post #229 of 244
This is my little compiled whish-list. Most of it has been heard of already or mentioned here too but it's my almost complete list of features and add-ons that I wished my favorite OS would provide them

1. OS:
1.1\tAll new database founded filesystem with metadata
1.2 Resolution independent UI (displayPDF is already built in - take the last step)
1.3 Out of the box linux support with X11, Gnome & KDE with all the necessary libs to easily compile most applications
1.4 Remote APIs for remote GUI login
1.5 Finally a usable user management (old school rwxrwxrwx scheme doesn't do the deal) with something like ACL, using 1.1 might help
1.6 Virtual Desktops (Exposé, Hide and Dock are all fine but all serve another purpose or in another way)
1.7 Exposé Application Blacklist (e.g. Games that run full screen sometimes cause troubles with activated screen edges) for which exposé is automatically disabled
1.8 Optional Dock (I don't use it for applications e.g., only for "docking" documents)
1.9 More customisable dock (as e.g. for my usage: drop applications from it)
1.10 ScreenMovie (rather then screen-photo - what have we got broadband for? ;-)
1.11 Something like KQueue (menthioned somewhere in this thread) in the carbon, cocoa & java APIs to avoid polling by still supplying i

2. Finder:
2.1 Threading! E.g. if a network volume suddenly disappears finder is blocked for 30s - completly. That sucks big time.
2.2 Trash in lefthand bar
2.3 More speed (using 1.1 should help with that) on large folders
2.4 More speed on temporarly inactive Volumes (if you do not use a volume over a longer time the HD stops spinning), e.g. through caching the directory content

3. Safari:
3.1 Improved URL completion (it's crappy - take a look at OmniWeb if you want to see a good one)
3.2 Generally take a look at omniweb. There is tons of stuff that is IMHO handled better there.

4. Mail.app:
4.1 Like iTunes' smart playlists: smart mailboxes (order once by rule is fine, display always by rule is better)

5. iChat.app:
5.1 [I'm sure that will never come, anyway] Multi protocol support (ICQ natively, MSN, Jabber, Yahoo, Miranda)
5.2 Single View for contacts with multiple accounts
5.3 Contact grouping (with possibility to add a person to multiple groups)

6. iPhoto & iTunes:
6.1 Let them use Filesystem Metadata instead of their own databasesMost of it has been heard of already or mentioned here too but it's my almost complete list of features and add-ons that I wished my favorite OS would provide them

(Edit: Somehow I copied the list twice in here)
post #230 of 244
Quote:
If you've got lots of windows open you could tidy them all up into tabs. So even though the sidebar doesn't have the window you want you can have quick access to it, quicker than expose and more effective, you could drag files to folders using them and quickly copy and past documents, it would tidy up the finder and be intuitive and I think it woul work really well.

Have you told apple yet? 8)

Quote:
I don;t want Apple to do a windows though, I like safari and finder being separate apps.

Hopefully apple keeps the difference
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #231 of 244
Quote:
If you've got lots of windows open you could tidy them all up into tabs. So even though the sidebar doesn't have the window you want you can have quick access to it, quicker than expose and more effective, you could drag files to folders using them and quickly copy and past documents, it would tidy up the finder and be intuitive and I think it woul work really well. I don;t want Apple to do a windows though, I like safari and finder being separate apps.

damn, just lust, imagine 5 or 6 finder windows open, you go and exposé them, hold shift, move back and voilá all 6 finder windows merge into one tabbed window. gorgeous. com'on apple let my fantasy roll

And yes this is a true feature request
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #232 of 244
maybe I should explain more in-detail why my point 1.1 (All new database founded filesystem with metadata) is so important.
Take a look at how your computer is organized today:
-You have mail.app organizing your emails
-You got iTunes to organzize your music
-iPhoto organzies your pictures
-The finder organizes your movies by name (with some work by date/size/...)
-The finder organzies your all other kinds of documents

Think about how this could become improved by an FS that is able to handle metadata and refined applications.
First the OS needed to provide a clean API to the metadata. I just assume that.
Second your applications needed to fully support this. I'll just assume that too.
How could your digital life look like then?

Why do all the work yourself and put movies into the movies folder? That's what the computer is supposed to do. Just set up a "Smart Folder" that contains all movie-type documents. With a DB it only takes some milliseconds to collect all that files and display them.
Same applies for pictures, songs and other kinds of documents.

This way every application was easily able to
a) do some kind of playlists (they [might] appear everywhere, songs in iTunes, emails in mail.app, movies in DVD/Quicktime Player, pictures in iPhoto, Documents in Office, Bookmarks in Safari, ...)
b) do the same kind as playlists do but smart (like iTunes smart-playlists, I'll cover this point more in depth later)
c) automatically recognize all files on your HD that it is able to edit/display/play
d) It was much easier to migrate from one application to another as you don't have to "export/import" some database - it all can be handled via the FS which is readable to all applications the same way

Think a bit more about b). Think about how you organize your work. The way you organize documents today was very suitable and possibly the best solution yesterday when you had some dozens of documents. But how is it today? Or even tomorrow? I for one got hundreds of files I'm working with, constantly increasing. Putting them into folders and subfolders is quite a bit of work on one hand and unsatisfying on the other hand. For example I got lots of files that would belong into multiple folders. Create aliases? Sorry, but that was a shitload of work I don't want to do.
Now lets take a look how the new FS could let you work quite differently:
You are working on something? Assign the documents a metadata "project". E.g. "invention #127", "lyric for song xyz", "presentation for meeting in july". Then you set up a "smart folder" that simply contains smart subfolders named after all available projects. Those itself contain each the files that belong to that project. If you think this through you end up in a whole different approach on how to organize your documents.

And thats just the beginning...
post #233 of 244
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
damn, just lust, imagine 5 or 6 finder windows open, you go and exposé them, hold shift, move back and voilá all 6 finder windows merge into one tabbed window. gorgeous. com'on apple let my fantasy roll

And yes this is a true feature request

maybe! but you could also just press command-t like in safari! I'll ask Apple now!!
post #234 of 244
Quote:
Originally posted by apeiros
maybe I should explain more in-detail why my point 1.1 (All new database founded filesystem with metadata) is so important.
<snip>
And thats just the beginning...

Yup, that's pretty much the consensus discussion we've had on here about, oh, twenty times or so.

Glad to see we have another convert on board.
post #235 of 244
I would like to see the old OS 9 system where you can double click on a title bar and it jsut collapses. I think it might be useful if you want to have lots of open windows. what do you think?
post #236 of 244
I think that while a lot of folks still clamor for this, I never did see the real utility of it... you still had to deal with occluded title bars instead of windows, and you still had to manually organize them for best placement. It helped the occlusion layering problem, but didn't get rid of it.

Expose sidesteps the whole problem nicely in my opinion, but it doesn't seem to fit everyone's workflow, and it does lack the 'quick peek behind this window' feature of WindowShade.
post #237 of 244
Quote:
Yup, that's pretty much the consensus discussion we've had on here about, oh, twenty times or so.

Glad to see we have another convert on board.

Then I'm sorry. While I read AI boards regularly I don't read everything.
Might you point me to one of the more interesting threads discussing this? I'm quite interested in this point.
post #238 of 244
Quote:
Originally posted by apeiros
Might you point me to one of the more interesting threads discussing this? I'm quite interested in this point.

The key word is "metadata."

You'll probably want to sink yer teeth into Siracusa's article here as well.
post #239 of 244
I have a hope / request to add, which I don't think has been covered (unless I missed it).

For people who print a lot -- from designers to home users to anyone in your typical office-- the print dialogs could much improved. There's still a lot of confusion and unnecessary and extremely repetitive menu-pulling to set print settings (which themselves are often confusingly titled and easily missed).

I've seen first-hand how many people don't even grasp that the menu in the print dialog is there to be selected. I don't know exactly why, but they just miss it, and even they find it, they're turned off by the different but rather similar-sounding options. This needs to be much (a) simplified, and (b) more visible.

I'd love to see a change to the print sheet, and have this:

changed to something like this:

post #240 of 244
Man, you make a very good point. It's so simple, but I never noticed it. It would be a great progress (and not hard for them to implement) ...
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
2x2.7 PowerMac - 1.25 Powerbook - 10.4 Tiger - '65 Mustang
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.4 Tiger Feature Request