or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Should I get a tattoo?

Should I get a tattoo? - Page 2

post #41 of 90
That'd be one of those stupid reasons...
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #42 of 90
Tattoo equals stupid.

Take your dumbest fashion idea, now make it permanent.

Yes, there are some good looking tattoos, though they are extremely rare.

These types of markings need some sort of cultural reference. Assuming you're a 21st century westerner, there's no way you'll come by that cultural context honestly. You aren't a sailor, or a native, or a norse warrior, or a Maori. At best you'll make some lame reference to these. At worst, you'll identify with the only real cultural context that ink and piercings have in our culture -- the loser, trailer park, dope/crack-head, drop out, criminal, ignorant loser. Might as well tattoo a photorealistic vagina on your forehead for all the good a tattoo will do you.

Yes, you can put it somewhere where it's easy to cover-up, but what's the point of the that?

Tattoos are expensive. Wanna make an impression young man? Go buy yourself a nice suit. That's an investment that will repay itself. A tattoo is just an expensive diversion that closes more doors than it opens.
IBL!
IBL!
post #43 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu

These types of markings need some sort of cultural reference. Assuming you're a 21st century westerner, there's no way you'll come by that cultural context honestly. You aren't a sailor, or a native, or a norse warrior, or a Maori.

I was sat on the Tube about three summers ago opposite these two skater kids, one of whom was showing off his new tattoo on his shin to his friend. Again, it was a Japanese character. "It means hell and death," he said (or something similar to hell and death. "I was going to get 'peace and serenity' but they couldn't find the template."
post #44 of 90
Oh. And I heard another great tattoo story, which I believe to be true. It was told to me as a first-hand story.

English guy, resident in New Zealand, wants a Maori tattoo, so he approaches Mr Maori Tattoo guy. "I would like a tattoo," he says. "How much?"

"Not so fast," replies the tattooist. "Tattoos have a cultural, personal significance. We have to spend some time together. I'll decide what to give you and to do that I have to know you. We must spend time together."

They spend time together, hanging out. Let's say, a week, having some beers, enough time for the artist to come to the conclusion that the English subject is something of a dickhead. Come tattoo time, the tattooist inks a remarkable design onto the English person. It represents a sort of ritual receptacle, upside down; it's significance is that the man's soul has fallen out.

Bummer. No amount of laser surgery can get rid of that.
post #45 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
Maybe, for instance, a few people here consider that large back tattoo pictured in this thread, of a death figure with its arms outstretched over trees (In a swamp, perhaps? Hard to tell.), with a bullet-wound sun, to be "art".

Notice I said that I wouldn't want that, and it would wear off it's novelty, but that is a pretty cool picture. But I didn't like it when I first saw it. I think it's because it has significance after you watch the movie. It's not just something "supposed to look cool".

Quote:
A tattoo is just an expensive diversion that closes more doors than it opens.

Well said!
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #46 of 90
DMBand006, how often do you feel the need to change your Desktop Background or buy a new jacket? What music did you love ten years ago and what music do you love now? etc etc Catch my drift...?
You mean you read this far?
You mean you read this far?
post #47 of 90
I think you should totally get a tattoo if you want one. If you're sure about the reasons, and you're sure about the design, and the design has some significance for you that's deeply-rooted and not going to change for the rest of your life, or if it's definitely beautiful, go on.

These are serious criteria, mind. There's nothing wrong with getting a tattoo; there is something wrong with getting the wrong one in my opinion. The wrong one is ugly or dumb or inked for the wrong reasons.
post #48 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
I was sat on the Tube about three summers ago opposite these two skater kids, one of whom was showing off his new tattoo on his shin to his friend. Again, it was a Japanese character. "It means hell and death," he said (or something similar to hell and death. "I was going to get 'peace and serenity' but they couldn't find the template."

Great story, Hassan.

I always enjoy your posts.
Much have I seen and known...yet all experience is an arch, wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades forever and forever when I move. - Tennyson
Much have I seen and known...yet all experience is an arch, wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades forever and forever when I move. - Tennyson
post #49 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
Notice I said that I wouldn't want that, and it would wear off it's novelty, but that is a pretty cool picture. But I didn't like it when I first saw it. I think it's because it has significance after you watch the movie. It's not just something "supposed to look cool".

It's a reference to or image from some movie? That's even lamer than I thought then.

For me, the image doesn't even rise to "pretty cool picture", but even if it did, it's hardly worth more than a poster or a T-shirt, it's not at all worthy of becoming a permanent part of someone's body.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #50 of 90
I seriously considered getting a tattoo a couple of years ago; I even went as far as getting the number of a respected tattoo studio from a friend of mine.

I wanted, and actually I still haven't totally counted out getting, a rock engraving of an eland, in white ink, on my ankle. A bit like this one. Although a lot smaller.

White ink because it's practically invisible, and fades in less than a dozen years. If you want to see it you'll pretty much have to be told where to look, and that's OK if you're getting it for you - and if it's going to be part of you then I suppose it has to be for you first. I had the number of this guy (called Nathan Satan, which was quite offputting) who does 'shakku' tattoos - that is, the pigment goes on a needle on a chopstick: no machine. It's supposed to be less painful, believe it or not. He wouldn't do white ink so I decided if I were going to do it it would have to be with the electric needle.

Didn't do it then, probably never will. I was researching Southern African hunter-gatherer rock art and I thought it was beautiful. Still do.
post #51 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Jubelum
If you did get one, it would have to be on the "fire" theme. Flame on!

A Fire tattoo?
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
post #52 of 90
I still have The tattoo.

Probably I should finally make some bigger pictures of it. (and put them somewhere else, I can't stand that hosting anymore)

I feel sexier with it than before it. On the geeky way but hey..

And when I tell people to "kiss my apple" I pretty much mean it.
post #53 of 90
Quote:
It's a reference to or image from some movie? That's even lamer than I thought then.

For me, the image doesn't even rise to "pretty cool picture", but even if it did, it's hardly worth more than a poster or a T-shirt, it's not at all worthy of becoming a permanent part of someone's body.

I am not saying it should. In fact, I thought I said that I didn't think it should. What I was saying (which I guess you disagree, but you haven't seen the movie, or even read my previous posts if you didn't know I was referencing a movie.

You are right that it's not worth even a t-shirt though. But don't judge it being a tattoo that "just looks cool" unless you've seen the movie.
post #54 of 90
Quote:
I think you should totally get a tattoo if you want one. If you're sure about the reasons, and you're sure about the design, and the design has some significance for you that's deeply-rooted and not going to change for the rest of your life, or if it's definitely beautiful, go on.

These are serious criteria, mind. There's nothing wrong with getting a tattoo; there is something wrong with getting the wrong one in my opinion. The wrong one is ugly or dumb or inked for the wrong reasons.

Why is it so hard for some people in this thread to understand this? I think most people from the United States are a little too conservative for their own good.

Art is good, even if someone else doesn't like it.

Most of the tattoos I see I think are moronic. I'm so tired of the lower back tattoos on the girls, or the sun on the upper back of the shoulder, or whatever. But most of the people in this thread associate the popularity aspect of tattoos rather than the art. And if you can't see that bullet wound as art, you must be blind, no offense intended.

I have a few more tattoos in mind, things that have meaning to me. I think I have three I've been thinking about, and I've already had one for many years. The one I already have I wouldn't get rid of it unless I lost a limb. I'm pretty sure I feel the same way about two of the other three I'm considering. When I'm sure, I'll get them.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #55 of 90
i thought through my designs for a long time before getting them. the roger is ironic. cuz i aint like some hell's angels dood; also a reference to my thieving ways. and the syf is cool, b/c the dead's my favorite band, and he's smokin a doob. just because others don't understand em, don't mean they aint cool to me; and in the end, thats all that matters. cus its my body.
post #56 of 90
Don't get me wrong, of course it's your body to do with what you will, but that doesn't make it wise, or particularly meaningful, even if you tell yourself that it has meaning to you.

Haha...

I say go for it, if it makes for one less competitor, who am I to complain?
IBL!
IBL!
post #57 of 90
Quote:
I say go for it, if it makes for one less competitor, who am I to complain?

I'm surprised that you'd care this much Matsu. I say if there's a girl that doesn't like you because you have one, or a job that won't hire you, then they're a poor fit anyway. There's always some conformity in society, but that's true of both sides. If people are so dumb that they'll think less of you because you have one then they're not really worth the time anyway.

The same argument could be made of a birthmark. If someone doesn't hire you because you've got a big liver spot on your cheek then **** that job anyway.
post #58 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by thuh Freak
i thought through my designs for a long time before getting them. the roger is ironic. cuz i aint like some hell's angels dood; also a reference to my thieving ways. and the syf is cool, b/c the dead's my favorite band, and he's smokin a doob.

Oh, he's smokin' a doob! SMOKIN' A DOOB! Damn, that changes everything!

It's still trite, overused, banal imagery, but "irony" and doobness overcome all.

If Da Vinci had only realized the great depths of artistic expression he might have reached if only he'd had the Mona Lisa smokin' a doob!
Quote:
just because others don't understand em,

No problem here with understanding. The deep meanings here aren't that deep.
Quote:
don't mean they aint cool to me;

Nope, it just means you have rather undemanding standards for cool.
Quote:
and in the end, thats all that matters. cus its my body.

No one's arguing against your right to do dumb things.
post #59 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Art is good, even if someone else doesn't like it.

I'd agree that "art", as in the general concept of art, is good.

It hardly follows, however, that all attempts at art are good, or that most tattoos even make the attempt.
Quote:
Most of the tattoos I see I think are moronic.

Now there's something I can agree with without reservation.

Let's keep in mind how this thread got started -- someone wondering whether or not he should get a tattoo, simply to fit in better with the "brotherhood" of others in a fire department (denying that peer pressure has a thing to do with it while simulateously spelling out the peer pressure involved).

The actually tattoo design is practically besides the point -- it's clearly become a modern-day initiation rite, a way of establishing tribal/group identity.
post #60 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
unless you live in the midwest which is about a decade behind+ the times.

Amen to that. My hometown (southern Indiana) SUCKS. If you have high speed internet people think you're from SIlicon Valley (if they know what that is to begin with). Sigh... if only I didn't have to spend the summer there.
post #61 of 90

People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
post #62 of 90
Actually Bunge, I don't care. But I'm rather false, I disguise myself because it has advantages, and a disguise is better when it's easily changed to suit the situation.
IBL!
IBL!
post #63 of 90
Quote:
Let's keep in mind how this thread got started -- someone wondering whether or not he should get a tattoo, simply to fit in better with the "brotherhood" of others in a fire department (denying that peer pressure has a thing to do with it while simulateously spelling out the peer pressure involved).

The actually tattoo design is practically besides the point -- it's clearly become a modern-day initiation rite, a way of establishing tribal/group identity.

My concern is that some people are saying unequivocally 'no', but that's a fairly ignorant answer. Should you get a tattoo because you think you'll be cooler? No.

I've had several major experiences in life that, since they are in the past, I can't change the fact that they've happened and what they've done to me. Some of these will be immortalized simply because I recognize the permanent effect they've had on me. I don't give a shit if anyone ever sees them or understands them.
post #64 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus
DMBand006, how often do you feel the need to change your Desktop Background or buy a new jacket? What music did you love ten years ago and what music do you love now? etc etc Catch my drift...?

Hear hear. A very good point indeed.

Not being tattooed, I can't offer a completely valid opinion on this subject. However, I can say that I considered getting one a while back. I drew a pretty design for myself, and worked it over until I thought it was perfect. Once I was satisfied, I bought a henna kit, and hennaed it onto my skin.

24 hours later I was sick of it and saying "for the love of god, get this off my skin".

So, I would definitely advise experimenting with henna before you actually take the plunge. It could show you that you've got a bit shorter an attention span than you previously thought.
"I'm not afraid of computers - they're defenseless" - Thom Yorke
"I'm not afraid of computers - they're defenseless" - Thom Yorke
post #65 of 90
I haven't decided anything yet. I do want one, but I'm not sure if I'll end up getting one. You all make valid points, thanks a lot for your input.
If I do get one, it will be either fire service, or Christian themed. An old friend of mine (who is a youth pastor now) got a cross and crown of thorns tattooed on his left bicep. It's an awesome looking tattoo, I would really consider something like that, but on one of my shoulders or the middle of my upper back. I don't want one on my arms. I've also looked into a lot of fire service designs too. I'll scan some drawings and post them.
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows
post #66 of 90
Tatoos are permanent scare. Some laser treatments like Alexandrite's laser can dissolve the darks inks, otherwise they are permanent.
In some jobs tatoos may be signs of brotherhood, in others they are sign of people that should not get the job.
post #67 of 90
Quote:
White ink because it's practically invisible, and fades in less than a dozen years. If you want to see it you'll pretty much have to be told where to look, and that's OK if you're getting it for you - and if it's going to be part of you then I suppose it has to be for you first.

I've got three tattoos, all done in white ink, and I still like them after over a decade. *shrug*
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #68 of 90
Quote:
These types of markings need some sort of cultural reference. Assuming you're a 21st century westerner, there's no way you'll come by that cultural context honestly. You aren't a sailor, or a native, or a norse warrior, or a Maori. At best you'll make some lame reference to these. At worst, you'll identify with the only real cultural context that ink and piercings have in our culture -- the loser, trailer park, dope/crack-head, drop out, criminal, ignorant loser. Might as well tattoo a photorealistic vagina on your forehead for all the good a tattoo will do you.

Yes, you can put it somewhere where it's easy to cover-up, but what's the point of the that?

Tattoos are expensive. Wanna make an impression young man? Go buy yourself a nice suit. That's an investment that will repay itself. A tattoo is just an expensive diversion that closes more doors than it opens.

Expensive is relative. A tattoo is less expensive than a liposuction or penis or breast enlargement for sure. I assume a huge d*ck or large boobs have much more cultural reference or content?

Haircuts need some cultural reference too. Not just the whites who have the wannabeblack hair styles (afros, rastas, braids) but also white males who have short hair. Isn't that a bit old fashioned? Didn't the men use to have short hair in the past, when there weren't that mnay shampoos available and when the women used to impress men with the length of their hair or something? So isn't the long hair for women as passé as well?
post #69 of 90
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, of course it's your body to do with what you will, but that doesn't make it wise, or particularly meaningful, even if you tell yourself that it has meaning to you.

That isn't just for tattoos. It is for facelifts, silicon implants, penis enlargements, liposuctions and a lot of other similar body modificiations as well.

Even if you want a bigger bust, smaller waist, less wrinkles, more inches somewhere and less in some other place, it does still not mean that you or your body has more meaning after.
post #70 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Giaguara
but also white males who have short hair. Isn't that a bit old fashioned? Didn't the men use to have short hair in the past, when there weren't that mnay shampoos available and when the women used to impress men with the length of their hair or something? So isn't the long hair for women as passé as well?

The fashionable length of hair goes up and every 20-30 years o so... If you care that it's old fashioned or out of style you are simply fashion conscience.

Spoken by the wisdom of the follically challenged and head shaven.

MSKR
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
post #71 of 90
Quote:
Oh, he's smokin' a doob! SMOKIN' A DOOB! Damn, that changes everything!

It's still trite, overused, banal imagery, but "irony" and doobness overcome all.

This is very, very funny.
post #72 of 90
humanity is lossed on the eleetists.
post #73 of 90
Dude, I'm pro-tattoo and my doob habit is (nearly) as healthy as yours.

This is still funny and I would still never get a doob tattoo.
post #74 of 90
I love a good tattoo, but I haven't come across anything I'd like permanently inked onto my skin. My best friend got one about 7 years ago, Yosemite Sam up on his back right behind his shoulder, about 3-4 inches high. I guess he thought that was cool that day... he literally walked into a tattoo parlour and just picked one out. He had no idea what he wanted before I went in there. Definitely NOT the way to do it.

He regrets it now, but he's stuck with it. He's not into surgery to try and remove the sucker.

It'll be funny when he's 60 and the grandkids are asking "Grandpa, how come you have a cartoon on your back?"

I had a fling with a girl who had Minnie Mouse inked on her lower back. She also had a thing for rear-entry, so I have this sexual association with Minnie Mouse that I will never be able to shake. Should've been looking at the wall... should've been looking at the wall...
post #75 of 90
and once again murbot wins the "too much ****ing information" prize

now all we need is a image of minnie mouse and the "i'd hit it" tagline

g

ps..i like tattoos...will get an image of mine up sometime...my brother and his wife got matching tattoos instead of rings...i like the girls with the tattoo in the smalls of their backs...it is getting a bit too common place i guess, but still nice to look at....i had a female friend who got the biohazard sign tattooed just above her vagina...i thought that was a nice commentary...i also had a friend who was very into tattoos and had hundreds of them...the ones that perplexed me the most was when he went on a "flesh colored" tattoo phase and had about 20 flesh colored tattoos put on that you couldn't see unless you got right up on him (no nasty comments from the peanut gallery)

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #76 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
(My biggest concern isn't wanting it removed afterwards, but liking it *so* much that I then *do* rush into more of them, and regretting *those*...)

i'm with kick on this...i have one (wife nearly divorced me over it too, even though i let her know for a year that i was getting it)...right after i got the one i wanted another...but i held off (mostly because i like being married)...but i really loved the scarification phase and missed it when my tat was no longer raised and bumpy...it can be quite addictive...i am lucky to have gone these 14 years without adding any more tattoos to my body...i would suggest you choose wisely and that you put it to an area that won't be horribly affected by gravity...that beautiful sun tattoo suddenly looks like a salvador dali painting when you are 75...

g

ps...i still love my tattoo...the only slight downside is that it is southwest american indian symbols that i got when i was living in baltimore...6 years later i move to the southwest and a) it is not as unique as it was back east b) i do feel a little self-concious on the rare occasions that i am shirtless on one of the indian reservations...the native americans have never said anything to me about it and it is not like i often run around the res shirtless...but i have gone swimming with some of my patients from the res and i wonder sometimes if they view my tat was honoring them (i hope) or belittling them somehow (i hope not)
post #77 of 90
OK fine, I admitt it, I'm just bitter because tatoos look like crap with hair growing out of them. And yes, I looked everywhere.
IBL!
IBL!
post #78 of 90
when i saw matsu posting here i thought i would find:

"i would get a tattoo, but they are over-priced for what you get...what these tattoos need is a 25 to 30% price drop if they really want to be competive and get my purchase money"

g
post #79 of 90
I had a friend who had the most extraordinary tattoo of flowers in a line over his shoulder and down his chest. Apparently when samurai came back to their dojos, or wherever it is off-duty samurai hang out, in victory, they would put flowers in their armour. Something like that. Anyway, he had that done, in a beautiful Japanese style copied from some text book or Hokusai painting. I don't remember but I'm sure his source was impeccable and respectful and whatnot and etc.

It was quite something.

Speaking of scarification, I have another friend who had a self-designed symbol tattooed in white ink on the top of her arm. She deliberately picked at the tattoo before it was healed so that it would scar; it's raised a bit and looks like a brand.

I don't think I would do this, but I thought it was... brave. It suits her, anyway.
post #80 of 90
Quote:
Speaking of scarification, I have another friend who had a self-designed symbol tattooed in white ink on the top of her arm. She deliberately picked at the tattoo before it was healed so that it would scar; it's raised a bit and looks like a brand.

Any tattoo done properly in white ink should raise a bit. It's something to do with the roundness and/or thickness of the needles used. Apparently white ink needs to be buried much deeper into the epidermis in order to last and not fade as quickly. I've no personal reference for black or coloured ink, but every tattoo artist said it's probably much more painful than getting a 'normal' tattoo.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Should I get a tattoo?