or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › lo people

lo people

post #1 of 29
Hey there everybody. I'm new. Don't flame me.

Okay...heres my issue

I have at home a gateway (SORRY! I know, its wasn't my choice tho...somebody else in my family wanted it.) We also have a belkin 802.11g router accessed by a HP laptop. THe issue is...

I want to get an ibook. Is there a way for the two laptops to share a router...being the belkin, or somehow adding the airportl, i dk.

Anyway, is this possible?
post #2 of 29
if you have an 802.11g router, an iBook will work with it w/o any hassle.

the wireless protocol is generic, and the same between Windows and Macs.
post #3 of 29
okay, very cool. So, if i do get the ibook, do I just buy a 802.11 b or g chip to put in it? will that stick out from the keyboard, or will it go inside? i know, kinda stupid, but just want to make sure i got it all strit. Thanks, MM
post #4 of 29
You'll need an AirPort Card.
Pop the keyboard off your iBook and look under, that's where it goes. Antenna are built into the sides of the display.

An AirPort card can be picked up at The Apple Store
Come waste your time with me

In a world without doors or walls, there is no need for Gates or Windows

post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Masterman
okay, very cool. So, if i do get the ibook, do I just buy a 802.11 b or g chip to put in it? will that stick out from the keyboard, or will it go inside? i know, kinda stupid, but just want to make sure i got it all strit. Thanks, MM

This is easy: go to Apple.com. Look up the iBook page and click on 'wireless'.
post #6 of 29
Also of note is that if you are getting an iBook G4 (the new model) you don't want the AirPort "card" as pointed out above.

The new iBooks needs a mini-PCI AirPort Extreme... not the PCMCIA AirPort card.

Just select it as a option when you are ordering your iBook. It will be the only wireless (minus bluetooth) option when placing your order for the iBook.

post #7 of 29
so, the airport card will be compatible w/ my belkin router? No problems (interference w/ the other laptop?)

somethin else too, may be a rumor, i dk...but i want an apple, but I here that macs tend to freeze up a lot...is that true? Forgive me, I've never had a Mac before.

Thanks,
MM
post #8 of 29
No problems at all. I have a Netgear router here that is supplying a wired connection to two Macs, and wireless connections to a Sony VIAO desktop, a Fujitsu laptop, an iBook G3, and soon to be a PB 12".

Never a single problem with the router, works like a charm.

As far as those people who tell you that Macs crash more...HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.

That is absolutely untrue. Mac OS X (the operating system that will come with your new iBook) is the best, most stable, easiest, and hands down best OS ever. It won't crash, it won't freeze, it won't mess up.
Macs have no viruses, no worms, nothing like that. So when all your friends are afraid of opening their e mail because of the newest virus scare, you can surf and e mail without a care, because you can't get the virus.
Whoever told you that Macs are inferior in any way is on crack, and they have no idea what they are talking about.

post #9 of 29
so, how does the airport card work with the belkin? Does it just work like a universal b or g chip?

-Masterman

btw, thanks evrybdy for yer help so far...great stuff.
post #10 of 29
It will work just the same as a regular B/G card.

The signal that your router sends out can be picked up by Mac or Windows, no problem at all.

post #11 of 29
awesome, so i get the ibook and then get the airport card, and I'm all set? (sry, i need repetition, kinda slow haha)
post #12 of 29
Yes get the iBook with AirPort Extreme. It will work fine.
post #13 of 29
great. Thanks guys.
post #14 of 29
wait...maybe u guys can help me w/ this...

In just about every room in my house, i can access the wireless signal from my belkin router. Unfortunately, I can't get it in, guess where? MY ROOM! I do pick up the signal but then loose it...never enuff time for me to even sign on tho. I think there is a linksys close by (a neigbor's house perhaps) which i do pick up in there as well.

When i do get the ibook, i'll have to set up the shared wireless system, but do u think that somehow the airport chip itself will be strong enuff to pick up the signal, when my b chip could not?

If not, is there a way for me to set up the airport extreme base station with my pc and then add an additional wireless base in my room...thats usin a tank when a truck can be used, but if thats what it takes....

What u think?

-MM
post #15 of 29
also, do u guys think an ibook fits me? I'll be usin in mainly for word processing, surfin the web, and the ilife programs.(vs a power book, i mean)

Any ideas on this wireless thing too?
post #16 of 29
First, I'd suggest moving your router around some. Moving it a few feet can make a huge difference as far as interference goes. Try to put it in a more central location, or closer to your room. This is the easiest and cheapest solution. The airport card will probably not be much of an improvement over any wireless card you have in your pc notebook. If you want another base in your room you are going to have to get a wire in the room anyway to get the bridging to work. So, yea, move your current base station around and see how it works.

The iBook will be great for word processing, web, and ilife.
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
post #17 of 29
i dk how i'm gunna move it tho...its the only room in the house w/ the broadband cable...any other options?
post #18 of 29
Quote:
i dk how i'm gunna move it tho...its the only room in the house w/ the broadband cable...any other options?

Get a longer cable to connect your modem to your router and move it somewhere. Either that, or just try a different spot in the room. You would be surprised how big a difference just moving it 5 feet can make.

post #19 of 29
i moved the router a little...a couple feet in the direction of my room...the funny thing is a room farther away than my room gets reception, but my room is stil only intermittantly pickin up the signal. It is gettin some interference from a lynksys from a neighbor i assume. Though i was able to sign on for a short time once the router was moved, it didn't last.

Should i move the router even farther across the study? what are my options here? is there anyway I can block the lynksys's signal completely?

-MM
post #20 of 29
Things to try:

1)Think about router position...even a foot can make a difference because of angles you could be saving a couple less feet that a signal needs to travel through a wall

2)Change the channel to something else
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #21 of 29
i'll try movin it some more. But how do i change the channel?

-MM

btw...wantin to get this all set fer the ibook, that way i can get access in my room...just so u guys know.
post #22 of 29
i'm stil pikin up the lynksys in my room. i tried movin the router a little more.

is there somethin I can do to boost the signal? Some other gizmo I can get? or do i just have to break down, get another internet cable somewhere closer to the room and get a new router to send the signal from there? I wouldnt' have to do that w/ the airport extreme...they have those boosters. Is there anything like that for pcs?

Also, is there a way i cood set up the airport extreme unit w/ my pc, or are the two not compatible?
post #23 of 29
anybody?
post #24 of 29
The two are compatible. Please understand, the ways macs and PCs connect to networks (ethernet, WiFi) are universal standards, that work across many platforms (windows, linux, mac, etc). Yes, a PC can connect to an Airport base-station (if the PC has an 802.11g/b card) and a Mac can connect to a Belkin/Lynksys/etc basestation with its airport (b or g) card.

The answer to all your previous and future questions is "yes."

Wait until you have an iBook before moving anything around for better signals. The iBook has very good reception, and may not need anything to be moved. There are ways to boost the signal, but again, wait until you have an iBook as you will likely not need one. If you do, then post here and we'll tell you about booster antennae.

Are you on Cable or DSL or dial-up?
post #25 of 29
is chinese the best kind of food?

jk...thanks for the help guys. Dk if I'll end up getting an airport extreme to hook up to my gateway and send wireless or what. I'll keep u posted tho, just for fyi.

Thanks,
-MM
post #26 of 29
Get the cheapest 802.11G station you can find, like a linksys or belkin or US robotics. AE basestations are overpriced and flaky in terms of reliability. They are not bad, but neither are they great. All these basestations are essentially the same chipset. Any one will do.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

Also keep in mind that regular WiFi, 802.11b has speeds far faster than your internet connection, so even a cheapo, second hand 802.11b router will do the trick. I have a USRobotics one, and it works great.

Are you on Cable, DSL, or dialup?
post #27 of 29
cable: AOL for broadband

Currently I have an 802.11g belkin router and a hp pavilion zt3000 notebook with integrated 802.11b chip. The two work together well (except for my lack of reception in my room)

The only thing that would make me wanna get a AE is the station u can set up to boost the signal...that way I have a sure fire way of pickin up the signal in my room. Does it cost much more to get another cable connection? I could just get one in my room...in case I ever get an imac or somethin.

-MM
post #28 of 29
Quote:
... is there anyway I can block the lynksys's signal completely?-MM

why don't you just use it completely? They never will cover it, until you tell them.

Have the same workflow here I know it is not that political correct
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #29 of 29
the funny thing is..i just can't use that either. The signal may not be strong enuff, or fades in and out...but I can't get into that either. Stinks.

-MM
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › lo people