or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › this is appalling, abuse of Iraqi prisoners

this is appalling, abuse of Iraqi prisoners - Page 11

post #401 of 613
naplesx "All of you people are ridiculous.

Selective outrage and fake compassion.

You all should be ashamed of yourself. Seriously."

that was the first time and i held back because fellowship replied...

more to come as i look through this lovely thread

g

very next reply came with the nice little comment that i should "wise up"

then this:
ou all seem to think that you know what is best for the world and that your vision is pure as driven snow and anything that America does is wrong. Some of you here more than others.

Once again, all I here is US bad, everyone else good.

That is what you are all promoting here and in other threads.

I think you need to examine your viewpoints to see what side you consistently come down on. It is pretty scary stuff, I know, but you might want to consider it.

Of course, many of you do not want to differentiate right and wrong, so in your case, I am not even sure what motivates you.

For all of you political parrots, it is really becoming monotonous and you will find that more and more people will ignore you because of it. I guess if you say it is Bush's fault enough it will become true. Keep telling yourself that, if you must.

This place needs an enema. Bad"

silly at best...i absolutely love america and do hold it to a higher standard...so should you...the president tells the world we are held to a higher standard, that is what allows us to invade countries...

then this from you:
How many times will you apologize for terrorists and murderers? How many time will you side with them? How many times will you hold views that benefit their interests? How many times will you attack yourself?

none of us have apologize for terrorist...

time to spend "quiet time" in the corner yet??

how about some more than...

i love this one:
have been very clear on my stance on this and other matters. You do not show any mental strength or debating ability or intellectual honesty by parsing tidbits of my or anybody's posts and projecting some special knowledge of my motivations.

only the right wing can project some special knowledge of motivations of others i guess since "we" all "support and defend terrorist according to you...

see below:

and finally:
"While everyone sides for the terrorists here."

talk about putting words in other peoples mouths...
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #402 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by thegelding

g

I did not personally attack anyone. Those were general statements.

Come on, post something at least somewhat on topic.
post #403 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by thegelding

g

very next reply came with the nice little comment that i should "wise up"

then this:
ou all seem to think that you know what is best for the world and that your vision is pure as driven snow and anything that America does is wrong. Some of you here more than others.

Once again, all I here is US bad, everyone else good.

That is what you are all promoting here and in other threads.

I think you need to examine your viewpoints to see what side you consistently come down on. It is pretty scary stuff, I know, but you might want to consider it.

Of course, many of you do not want to differentiate right and wrong, so in your case, I am not even sure what motivates you.

For all of you political parrots, it is really becoming monotonous and you will find that more and more people will ignore you because of it. I guess if you say it is Bush's fault enough it will become true. Keep telling yourself that, if you must.

This place needs an enema. Bad"

silly at best...i absolutely love america and do hold it to a higher standard...so should you...the president tells the world we are held to a higher standard, that is what allows us to invade countries...

Parse parse parse

Come on. Let's not get this thread locked.

I will not reply to you after this point as to not encourage more.
post #404 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
Come on, post something at least somewhat on topic.

OK:

It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #405 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
OK:

That is actually kinda funny. Seriously, thanks.

I needed that after watching that damned video.

My hans are still shaking.
post #406 of 613
Quote:
Parse parse parse

Come on. Let's not get this thread locked.

I will not reply to you after this point as to not encourage more.

Jesus Damn Man Quite complaining about being "parsed"!!! If you don't like people addressing specific points then make sure that your statements don't include crazy inflamator comments. Its not that hard. I've already said this and I don't know why I'm mentioning it again except for the fact that it bugs me to no end. "Awww guys stop parsing me...." Well killer stop peppering your replies with brooms in asses and stop making blanker statements. If you comment then each point of your comment is, and probably will be, addressed at some point. If you call everyone terrorist sympathizers then we will address that. You have to have over a thousand posts and you don't get that yet? If you make valid arguments then we will address those arguments. We may disagree but the argument will be addressed. If you say "How many times will you apologize for terrorists and murderers?" then that statement is free game for rebuttal. It's not a hard system. If you post it it will be commented on. Stop bitching (ironic huh me bitching about someone else bitching).
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #407 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by faust9
Jesus Damn Man Quite complaining about being "parsed"!!! If you don't like people addressing specific points then make sure that your statements don't include crazy inflamator comments. Its not that hard. I've already said this and I don't know why I'm mentioning it again except for the fact that it bugs me to no end. "Awww guys stop parsing me...." Well killer stop peppering your replies with brooms in asses and stop making blanker statements. If you comment then each point of your comment is, and probably will be, addressed at some point. If you call everyone terrorist sympathizers then we will address that. You have to have over a thousand posts and you don't get that yet? If you make valid arguments then we will address those arguments. We may disagree but the argument will be addressed. If you say "How many times will you apologize for terrorists and murderers?" then that statement is free game for rebuttal. It's not a hard system. If you post it it will be commented on. Stop bitching (ironic huh me bitching about someone else bitching).

Hey, I really don't want to argue with you. I come here to learn and express my thoughts.

Wether you believe it or not, I do put some thought into what I say, and I try to be clear and civil. I try to read posts completely and respond accordingly. I try not to parse others because I feel that is lazy way to debate. I am not asking something that I am not willing to follow.

I do not think that I know everything so I try to convey opinions and preface my comments as such.

It is called civil debate. Parse if you must but I will point it out when you or anyone else does. Nothing personal. I think of it as doing my part to help people to be civil around here. You have to agree that is something that is needed here.
post #408 of 613
Quote:
That is actually kinda funny. Seriously, thanks.

I needed that after watching that damned video.

My hans are still shaking.

That's because you're a wimp. The video is nothing scary. Every man, woman and child in the USA should see it.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #409 of 613
I've been thinking about this link to Rumsfeld and the other civilians in the Pentagon, and it seems to me that the missing link is this Major General Geoffrey Miller. He needs his ass hauled before Congress with the rest of them.

Here's what Taguba has to say:

Quote:
The Investigating Team also reviewed the Assessment of DoD Counter-Terrorism Interrogation and Detention Operations in Iraq conducted by MG Geoffrey D. Miller, Commander, Joint Task Force Guantanamo (JTF-GTMO)._ From 31 August to 9 September 2003, MG Miller led a team of personnel experienced in strategic interrogation to HQ, CJTF-7 and the Iraqi Survey Group (ISG) to review current Iraqi Theater ability to rapidly exploit internees for actionable intelligence._ MG Millers team focused on three areas:_ intelligence integration, synchronization, and fusion; interrogation operations; and detention operations._ MG Millers team used JTF-GTMO procedures and interrogation authorities as baselines.

and later

Quote:
With respect to interrogation, MG Millers Team recommended that CJTF-7 dedicate and train a detention guard force subordinate to the Joint Interrogation Debriefing Center (JIDC) Commander that sets the conditions for the successful interrogation and exploitation of internees/detainees.

So Miller was the commander at Gitmo who was sent by the Pentagon to tell the Iraqi prison soldiers how to "exploit" detainees. He was there in Aug.-Sept. 2003. The abuses took place in the months following his visit there.

According to this, Miller was sent by the Pentagon to "Gitmo-ize" Iraqi prisons in order to better interrogate detainees.

Quote:
Karpinski said the decision about transferring control of the prison to military intelligence officials was broached at a September 2003 meeting with Miller, who was then in charge of the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, known colloquially as "Gitmo." Miller had come to Iraq at the insistence of top political officials in the Pentagon, who were frustrated by the meager intelligence coming from prisoners.

Now, Gitmo has been declared by the president as not subject to the Geneva Conventions. And then the politicals at the Pentagon send the guy in charge of Gitmo to Iraq. And then violations of Geneva Conventions start to occur. I'm sorry, but isn't that just a little fishy?

I think the most generous interpretation of what happened is that after Miller was sent to put the intelligence people in charge of this prison, the MPs basically started participating in the interrogations, and that's where things got out of control. A less generous interpretation is that Rummy/Boykin/Bush simply said f*ck 'em, tell those MI people to do whatever it takes.
post #410 of 613
BRussell this is not directed to you as your last post was to the point of the thread and civil.

To ALL others who have posted above BRussell's last post either post without insults or be banned from AO.

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #411 of 613
Quote:
To say that the torture or whatever you call it at the prison is even close to that video, is just sick.

How is an Iraqi killing an American different to an American killing an Iraqi?

Maybe you'd forgotten, but US Army people murdered Iraqis in that prison.
meh
meh
post #412 of 613
I have a question for NaplesX.

Would you like the people who beheaded Nick Berg executed?
Would you like the people who beat Iraqi prisoners to death executed?
If one and not the other, why not?
post #413 of 613
Hot off the presses. Our weasel of a prime minister's response.

Yeah we saw the report but it wasn't our concern because there were no Australians involved. euiwfwibfeyocyurhfgcufwhegau cwahidncnofhe ncufehuw......

Ooops! Sorry that was my head crashing onto the keyboard.

And we've taken 100 Iraqis prisoner but they're not our responsibility either because we handed them over to the Yanks. jdhbkhc fhfcif hf hio ihfe efiufdhiqh......

Damn! Did it again.

We can always rely on Little Johnny Howard to shame us.

They lie. And they KNOW they lie.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #414 of 613
Quote:
The U.S. military has launched an investigation into the suspected mistreatment of an Afghan police officer while in the custody of coalition forces.

The officer says he was stripped naked, photographed, kicked and subjected to sexual taunting while being held by coalition forces in August last year, a U.S. Embassy statement said on Wednesday.

Link

Striking similarities, someone please tell me this is not standard operating procedure in US jails and/or military...
post #415 of 613
Remember the Tipton Three, those three young men from the north of England who were recently released without charge from Guantanamo Bay? The three young men who weren't even interviewed by the British police when they were released?

I read all the statements they made on their release, about what they suffered, and still a part of me thought "well, they're angry, they're not exactly going to paint their experience in a flattering light."

I still had some residual idea that the American army hadn't descended into embarrassing, vicious brutality. I know better now. Your country's values evidently aren't worth fighting for, NaplesX, if you're prepared to abandon them so easily.

Sellouts.
post #416 of 613
Lynndie England is insisting that all the photos in which she is depicted were posed by her COs...

Quote:
"Well, I mean, they [the photos] were for psy-op reasons...and the reasons worked. I mean, so to us, we were doing our job, which meant we were doing what we were told, and the outcome was what they wanted. They'd come back and they'd look at the pictures, and they'd state, 'Oh, that's a good tactic, keep it up. That's working. This is working. Keep doing it. It's getting what we need.'"

So, is she just trying to squirm her way out of what she did by following a lawyer's script, or were the abuses directed from on high?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in616921.shtml
post #417 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by kneelbeforezod
Lynndie England is insisting that all the photos in which she is depicted were posed by her COs...

So, is she just trying to squirm her way out of what she did by following a lawyer's script, or were the abuses directed from on high?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in616921.shtml

Ugh. Karpinski has said the same thing.

I'm telling you, it's Miller. At the request of the Pentagon he came to Iraq from Gitmo, put the intelligence people in charge of the prison, and the intelligence people told the MPs what to do. There's no question, IMO, that this goes right to Boykin or Cambrone or even Rumsfeld and Bush. One or all of them told Miller to go and Gitmo-ize Abu Ghrain.
post #418 of 613
I still want to see England (as the face that people 'recognize' over Karpinski) on TV just to see how believable she is...if she comes across as sincere, then a lot more people are going to start questioning up the chain of command.
post #419 of 613
Rumsfeld Backs Iraq Interrogation Methods

Hnmmmm...so Rumsfeld is publicly supporting sleep dep and starvation as interrogation techiniques.

I wonder what techniques he supports privately?
post #420 of 613
Quote:

Hnmmmm...so Rumsfeld is publicly supporting sleep dep and starvation as interrogation techiniques.

Why cast aspersions?

I wander what it really ads to the debate.
post #421 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
I'm telling you, it's Miller. At the request of the Pentagon he came to Iraq from Gitmo, put the intelligence people in charge of the prison, and the intelligence people told the MPs what to do. There's no question, IMO, that this goes right to Boykin or Cambrone or even Rumsfeld and Bush. One or all of them told Miller to go and Gitmo-ize Abu Ghrain.

That's what it's starting to look like.
post #422 of 613
Quote:

What's strange about it is that earlier he said these prisoners were under the Geneva Conventions. So are they or aren't they?
post #423 of 613
Quote:
Why cast aspersions?

I wander what it really ads to the debate.

When the Secretary of Defence publicly advocates using interrogation techniques that are regarded as torture (click the link and do a text search for 'food and sleep deprivation' - you'll find it in between 'beatings on the soles of the feet and genitalia' and 'vaginal and anal rape with truncheons') you have to wonder if more permanently damaging forms of torture are occasionally regarded as acceptable as well.
post #424 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
That's what it's starting to look like.

Just to be clear, Miller is there now, and has been for several months. But he was sent there from Gitmo for a consulting visit in fall 2003, shortly before all this bad stuff started. Taguba criticized Miller's recommendations. Did you notice that although the Senate only asked Taguba to come, the Pentagon sent some minders yesterday to go with him?

Oops, I guess you changed your post.
post #425 of 613
Quote:
I still want to see England (as the face that people 'recognize' over Karpinski) on TV just to see how believable she is...if she comes across as sincere, then a lot more people are going to start questioning up the chain of command.

I just saw her on French tv - I'd say the upper echelons have a problem....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #426 of 613
Quote:
What's strange about it is that earlier he said these prisoners were under the Geneva Conventions. So are they or aren't they?

As far as Rumsfeld is concerned, I expect the Geneva Convention has gone the same way as the Convention Against Torture. He most likely flushed it soon after wiping his ass with it.
post #427 of 613
More instances where the US State Department has criticized countries for using food and/or sleep deprivation. Note also the number of times that sleep deprivation is referred to as 'torture' (interestingly, when Saudi Arabia or Israel does it it is an 'interrogation technique').

Click

Of course, Rumsfeld may not have been advocating full on starvation or food deprivation...he may just have been advocating dietary interrogation techniques such as tryptophan starvation (which causes seratonin production to shut down, leading to depression and temporary psychosis).

Kind of a clever way around those pesky conventions that prohibit the use of drugs in interrogation.
post #428 of 613
Quote:
Just to be clear, Miller is there now, and has been for several months. But he was sent there from Gitmo for a consulting visit in fall 2003, shortly before all this bad stuff started. Taguba criticized Miller's recommendations. Did you notice that although the Senate only asked Taguba to come, the Pentagon sent some minders yesterday to go with him?

Oops, I guess you changed your post.

Yeah, the timeline was a little messy in my head there for a second.

I'm starting to get the impression that this was a natural extension of accepted torture methods (sleep deprivation ...) when leadership promotes radical beliefs within the military. The fact that the line of responsibility apparently goes straight through a wacko and a straussian may give some indications as to why we need to watch more closely who gets appointed to those spots.
post #429 of 613
Members of Congress viewed fresh photos and videos of Iraqi prisoner abuse on Wednesday, and said they included disturbing images of torture and humiliation.

"The whole thing is disgusting and it's hard to believe that this actually is taking place in a military facility," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

"I expected that these pictures would be very hard on the stomach lining and it was significantly worse than anything that I had anticipated," said Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore. "Take the worse case and multiply it several times over."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e_43&printer=1
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #430 of 613
Quote:
The town is spelled Khurma and is approx. 20 miles north of Halabjah. Remember that name?

Yeah, I remember Khurmal from way back when Powell tried to pass that off and it turned out it wasn't even an area controlled by Ansar (which, btw, was/is backed by iran and likely not al-qaeda). Not to mention what a big deal it was when journalists went there prior to the war to see that there was no evidence of chemical weapons. Maybe you slept through that.
post #431 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
Members of Congress viewed fresh photos and videos of Iraqi prisoner abuse on Wednesday, and said they included disturbing images of torture and humiliation.

"The whole thing is disgusting and it's hard to believe that this actually is taking place in a military facility," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

"I expected that these pictures would be very hard on the stomach lining and it was significantly worse than anything that I had anticipated," said Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore. "Take the worse case and multiply it several times over."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e_43&printer=1

Just awful
Quote:
Several lawmakers said photos of sexual intercourse were among the images defense officials screened for lawmakers in a top-secret room in the Capitol. At least some of them appeared to depict consensual sex involving U.S. military personnel, they added.

Others showed military dogs snarling at cowering prisoners, as well as shots of Iraqi women commanded to expose their breasts, some said. Others said there were images of hooded Iraqi prisoners being forced to masturbate while cameras captured the scene.

Quote:
But Rumsfeld defended U.S. military interrogation techniques in general Wednesday, rejecting complaints that they violated international rules and could endanger U.S. captives.

Quote:
Sen. John Warner, R-Va., chairman of the Armed Services Committee, agreed that the materials should remain secret at least until trials of U.S. soldiers got under way to protect the integrity of the legal process. He also said keeping them private would lessen the chance that they could inspire the enemy.

You don't say..................

All quoted material taken from This MSNBC Link

Fellowship

post #432 of 613
Don't think they will be able to keep them private though - they seem queued up and ready to go. There's more to the timing and release of these pictures than we know.

Looks like a couple more items on the block list for me anyway.
post #433 of 613
If true, this is so sick, seems the beasts are Preying on Iraqi women and children:
Quote:
For Huda Shaker, the humiliation began at a checkpoint on the outskirts of Baghdad. The American soldiers demanded to search her handbag. When she refused one of the soldiers pointed his gun towards her chest.

"He pointed the laser sight directly in the middle of my chest," said Professor Shaker, a political scientist at Baghdad University. "Then he pointed to his penis. He told me, 'Come here, bitch, I'm going to fuck you.'"

[...]

According to Prof Shaker, several women held in Abu Ghraib jail were sexually abused, including one who was raped by an American military policeman and became pregnant. She has now disappeared.

[...]

Yesterday Prof Shaker, who began researching the subject this year for Amnesty International, said she believed the woman involved had been killed.

[...]

Journalists were forbidden from talking to the women, who are kept upstairs in windowless 2.5 metre by 1.5 metre cells. The women wailed and shouted.

[...]

Other allegations being investigated are that a 12- or 13-year-old girl had been stripped naked in the block and paraded in front of male inmates.
post #434 of 613
Sick, yes. Surprising, no.

That's what gutless pricks always do. Prey on the most vulnerable.
post #435 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
Sick, yes. Surprising, no.

That's what gutless pricks always do. Prey on the most vulnerable.

A BBC report on a film featuring a female Camp Bucca warden shows a glimpse into the mindset of these characters.

Quote:
The unidentified military police officer at Camp Bucca told CBS's 60 Seconds II she sneaked her camera into the jail to tape the conditions there.

"We've already had two prisoners die... but who cares? That's two less for me to worry about," the 20-year-old said.

Nice.
post #436 of 613
Quote:
The Baltimore Sun quotes Colin Powell as saying that "we kept the president informed of the concerns that were raised by the ICRC and other international organizations as part of my regular briefings of the president, and advised him that we had to follow these issues, and when we got notes sent to us or reports sent to us ... we had to respond to them, and the president certainly made it clear that thats what he expected us to do."

Powell further said that he, Rice and Rumsfeld kept Bush fully informed of the concerns that were being expressed, not in specific details, but in general terms.

Not only does that contradict what the White House and the president have said. It contradicts the testimony of one of Don Rumsfeld's principal deputies from only yesterday.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/arc..._09.php#002952
post #437 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Camp Bucca

see the video:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in616849.shtml
post #438 of 613
More on mr. Bush's United States of Terror...

It's like scene from Brazil...

Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #439 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
A BBC report on a film featuring a female Camp Bucca warden shows a glimpse into the mindset of these characters.

Nice.

I must say that you quoting is kind of misleading, it seems to say that they killed the prisoners when she was saying that the prisoners died from Sand Viper bites. The prisoners also seemed to be treated pretty well at that camp as far as I could tell.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #440 of 613
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
I must say that you quoting is kind of misleading, it seems to say that they killed the prisoners when she was saying that the prisoners died from Sand Viper bites. The prisoners also seemed to be treated pretty well at that camp as far as I could tell.

err...
Quote:
"If we shoot any more of the Iraqis, or attack any of them, they're gonna supposedly come in and attack the camp," she says on tape. "But we'll believe that when it actually happens, because we've already killed another Iraqi just last night when I was working. So I don't know what's going on..."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › this is appalling, abuse of Iraqi prisoners