or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Who stole my post count?

Who stole my post count?

post #1 of 67
I just wanted to ask, why my post count is lower than it used to be? I didn't know who to ask, so i'm asking everyone...

-Neø
Crunch for the Cure!
http://www.find-a-drug.org/

---------------------------------
God created Adam and Eve, He didnt create Adam and Steve
-Rep. Roscoe Bartlett
Crunch for the Cure!
http://www.find-a-drug.org/

---------------------------------
God created Adam and Eve, He didnt create Adam and Steve
-Rep. Roscoe Bartlett
post #2 of 67
Around here, you have to earn your post count.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #3 of 67
Then I have one question. How can a person get a higher post count while his privleges revoked. Then answer that please.
post #4 of 67
You know, I don't really care what my post count is.
Signatures are boring.
Signatures are boring.
post #5 of 67
Here's why.

vBulletin has a post-counting bug. There's a script that runs now and then to help get a more accurate count. On top of this, posts in certain forums do not count towards one's post count, so the script does not include posts from them in the user's total.
post #6 of 67
Will you two feel like grown-ups if you have higher post counts?

Wait, let me add something. I have watched both of these neophyte AI members clatter through forum after forum, thread after thread, like drunken sorority girls. I am officially protesting the continuing assault on the forums by children.

This is not a personal attack.

It is a request for behavioral modification.

Please don't whinge.
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #7 of 67
This doesn't belong in AppleOutsider. Moving to Suggestions (you know, the place that is "For use in presenting us with feedback on the forums").

Keep asking and we may start *intentionally* dropping post counts.

See drewprops's reply. In addition, when your posts are deleted and the recount script is run, your post count drops accordingly. I think I should just disable the post counter display altogether...

quagmire: When your privileges are revoked, you can't post at all. Why would you expect anything to change?
post #8 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by quagmire
Then I have one question. How can a person get a higher post count while his privleges revoked. Then answer that please.

Because Brad is CORUPT
post #9 of 67
YaY!!!!! no postcounts!!!!!
post #10 of 67
post #11 of 67
Buncha stupid whiners.

Not you guys in particular though!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Wait, where's my post count?

This place sucks! I'm starting my own forums.
post #12 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by drewprops
Will you two feel like grown-ups if you have higher post counts?

Wait, let me add something. I have watched both of these neophyte AI members clatter through forum after forum, thread after thread, like drunken sorority girls. I am officially protesting the continuing assault on the forums by children.

This is not a personal attack.

It is a request for behavioral modification.

Please don't whinge.

I still sometimes have a suspicion that Neø is one of the regulars here having a bit of fun with us under a new identity.

If not, then - despite the occasional annoyance - I actually find her to be a pretty amusing and intelligent 13-year-old. With three kids, I am always reminded that childhood is not just a preparation for adulthood, but an important time of life in its own right. Kids can have interesting things to say. Of course, in the case of my youngest (2 yrs. old), it is "firetruck, firetruck, firetruck", which could get a bit tiresome if he were able to post.
tribalfusion?
tribalfusion?
post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Neø
I just wanted to ask, why my post count is lower than it used to be? I didn't know who to ask, so i'm asking everyone...

-Neø

You are not your post count.
They go up, they go down.
It's JUST A NUMBER.

Go for it... fight for every single post, even the two word replies and replies to your own posts. Keep the faith ... n' .... crap.

Can someone give "her" 500 posts so that we can stop all this?
I offered "her" some of mine last week, but no dice.

Neø, we are so happy you are here. Even if you had 10 posts, we would not respect you any more or less. Some of the best people on this board have only a few hundred posts, but every one is QUALITY. Your worth is determined by your contribution, not your post count.

"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #14 of 67
Quite right, Jubelum.

post #15 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Quite right, Jubelum.

Note To Self: Don't mess with a man in the midst of sinus surgery.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #16 of 67
No post count rules! Date registered is a far more valid indicator to your involvement in this place. That and I'm Senior Member now so no one knows if I have 500 or 10000 posts. Wheeeeee!
post #17 of 67
November 2001, baby! How do you like them apples?

Though I have far less posts than many who've been here half the time, I'm proud of those that I have because I have stuck with this place through thick and thin. I have browsed and posted in every forum. I have seen the good and the bad. I returned triumphant with my fellow AIers after the "Great Blackout." I have been to the mountaintop!

My brothers and sisters, let us not be engulfed by the perceived necessity that we must raise our post count to puff ourselves up. We must raise the banner high that we will make every DAY that we are here the best we can, and post with dignity and honor.

We are now free from our post counts, my brothers and sisters! We are free from the status symbols that have divided us and conquered us, and made many of us feel like less than other members here. We are free. Free at last, free at last, thank Brad the Admin, we're free at last!!!

Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #18 of 67
I think hiding the postcount is good. If you really need to find out, it is still in your profile, but I think this will cut down on a lot of the... well, you know. Thin out the posts so-to-speek. No more padding postcounts.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
post #19 of 67
no more
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
no more

bogus double posts!
post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
November 2001, baby! How do you like them apples?

Registered date also means as little as post count. I'm on my third or forth member name since I discovered AppleInsider 5 years ago. I personally don't care if post count is there or not... I've always felt that anyone who found status in online forums kind of sad. I'm not targeting you, CosmoNut... just found the quote relevant to the changes. The thing I find most interesting about this thread is.... Neo (the one who started this thread) was an up-and-coming post whore who only cared about status... and now..... \ I wonder if Neo will even post here again.
post #22 of 67
No post counts is grrrreat!
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Defiant
No post counts is grrrreat!

I disagreed. I need numbers.
post #24 of 67
but dosent postcount determine eligibility for a custom title?

EDIT: nm, saw its still being tracked in the profile.....
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
post #25 of 67
No post count is great , I don't see anymore that i am such a looser
post #26 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
No post count is great , I don't see anymore that i am such a looser

We still know it though

(Don't worry cutie pie )
post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Akumulator
I've always felt that anyone who found status in online forums kind of sad. I'm not targeting you, CosmoNut... just found the quote relevant to the changes.

No offense taken. I do think, though, that someone's longevity here *can* be a good indicator of experience. Someone who's "been around the block" here may have a unique perspective on these forums, it's trends, and its history.

Honestly, who has a better idea of how AO's feel has changed? Someone who has 2500 posts but has only been here 6 months, or someone with 1500 posts who has been here for 2 years?

How many people remember when there was NO 'OS X' forum? When there WAS a 'Future Software' forum? When 'Genius Bar' wasn't called that?

I have always used the name 'CosmoNut' because that's what everyone knows me by. Yeah, I could have changed it long ago, because I don't use that name anywhere else but here. But that's what I've been, and that's what I will continue to be. I'm just trying to offer some perspective for those who think post counts are so important, or those who think that there is no reason to consider someone's longevity or status here.

I got a lot of mean comments from people when I started a thread long ago commenting on people's ages here. Apparently a 14 year old should be considered the same as a 35 year old. THEY'RE NOT! You don't know how often I click on someone's profile to find out how old they are, because their life's experience DOES have an impact on how/what they post here.

A lot of people give quagmire a hard time here, but I cut him a lot of slack because he's 14 and I'm 24. He hasn't experienced high school, college, or having a full-time job. In the same light, I am always interested to hear what those older than me here have to say. I don't have kids, so I like hearing murbot and other parents' perspectives on life, children, careers, and so on.

We're not just user names here, people. We're a blend of cultures, ages, genders, and more. Some have been here longer than others, and I think that's important to know. How many posts a person has seems a lot less important.

[/soapbox]
post #28 of 67
No... Postcount...?

How.. Are we going.. To measure... Our.. Virility....Now...?

"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #29 of 67
I thought something was missing...

A few words in defence of post counts (though I'm less bothered now than I was when I first noticed) - Looking at post count is useful when getting advice, especially when you're new and you don't know who to trust. A high post count is reassuring.

I think its gonna be harder to recognise people by name only. I dunno, name and post count somehow summed up people in my memory quite well... But as I said, it's no biggie really

And, "The Priveleged" still have their special sigs...
You mean you read this far?
You mean you read this far?
post #30 of 67
See, I think that how long someone's been here is a better indicator of who you can "trust." I would be much more comfortable asking someone a question when they've been here 2 years over someone who's been here 6 months, even if they have the same post count. But that's just me.
post #31 of 67
I can't believe there's a thread about this. \

I think my November 2001 is that time following the big down-time? I came here, originally, in January 2000 (right before the Macworld where OS X was unveiled) and AppleInsider had a black and turquoise design/color scheme.

Wow, four year-plus...minus a couple of blackouts.

I need a wife.
post #32 of 67
I recommend Ms. Vieira
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
How many people remember when there was NO 'OS X' forum? When there WAS a 'Future Software' forum? When 'Genius Bar' wasn't called that?

Ooh, ooh! I do! Anyone else remember the original Silicon Alley? Funny... even back then, Silicon Alley's address was forum #15.

Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
I think my November 2001 is that time following the big down-time? I came here, originally, in January 2000 (right before the Macworld where OS X was unveiled) and AppleInsider had a black and turquoise design/color scheme.

Yup, most of us "old timers" have Nov '01 dates because that's when the forums finally returned from the great blackout and everyone had to register again. I'd been around since summer '99, registered October '99.

Date isn't the *best* indicator, but it's generally much better than post count. If you still want post count, just click the profile link. It's there and hasn't stopped ticking.

The only *true* status indicator is the quality of your posts. You get respect by earning it, just like in the real world.
post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Yup, most of us "old timers" have Nov '01 dates because that's when the forums finally returned from the great blackout and everyone had to register again. I'd been around since summer '99, registered October '99.

I had lost all hope, honestly (BadFlamingo was a mess) and didn't bother to check back until April 2002.

^^^^^ That image always makes me smile.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #35 of 67
Is it possible to get rid of all display names as well? It would be fun to discern who is who by their posts. 8)
post #36 of 67
Squint really hard.
post #37 of 67
Has the level of animosity increased in AO since the whole removal of post count or is it just me?

I honestly think that the members scan the post count to weigh the words of the individual poster, and right now, since there are enough sort of known individuals posting we are seeing responses that are embittered from both sides to arguments that would not ordinarily be considered...

Basically my point is that this lack of post counts is a strange social experiment that may have more negative consequences than simply vanquishing the post-whores...
post #38 of 67
Ah, yes... JUST as I was getting to my 2000th post...

Well, at least this time its just post counts going offline.

Last time I was a few posts shy of 2000 the "Great Blackout" occurred.

Having said that...

I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot
Buncha stupid whiners.

Not you guys in particular though!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Wait, where's my post count?

This place sucks! I'm starting my own forums.

Join http://www.appleinsideher.com ?
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
post #40 of 67
(simpson's "carl" voice)

"I used my post count to feel like a man.....I guess now I'll have to rely on my enormous genitalia....
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Who stole my post count?