or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Who stole my post count?

Who stole my post count? - Page 2

post #41 of 67
<-

Hmm, Appleinsideher sounds vaguely erotic. I'm there!

As for post counts, oh well. I worked hard to get my nice title, and I was one of the first 100 to join "AI: Phase Two, Rise From The Dead." It's all good for me.
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by trailmaster308
Is it possible to get rid of all display names as well? It would be fun to discern who is who by their posts. 8)

that would actually be really cool...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #43 of 67
with regard to CosmoNut's comment on the age of posters being relevant, I'd tend to agree

most of those who thought Street Racing was cool seemed too young to drive
most of those who think War is cool seemed too young to serve
(indeed, my grandfather [WWII vet, UN peacekeeper] said the only people who want war are those who've never been in one... nobody who's ever been in one wishes it on anybody.)

given the recent proliferation of teenage members, spotting the wise due to experience might help.

birthdate might thus provide additional insight over registration date
added bonus... might allow Carol to calculate all our Horoscopes.

downside? identity theft for the honest... and too easy to falsify when filling it in.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
A lot of people give quagmire a hard time here, but I cut him a lot of slack because he's 14 and I'm 24. He hasn't experienced high school, college, or having a full-time job. In the same light, I am always interested to hear what those older than me here have to say. I don't have kids, so I like hearing murbot and other parents' perspectives on life, children, careers, and so on.

Excellent point - this is what makes AI such a valuable resource and vibrant community. There is a wealth of experience to draw upon and learn from. You can treat the comments on face value OR - if you've been here long enough - you might be able to assess each comment with the relative respect you think it deserves based upon your observations of said member's posts.

Quote:
We're a blend of cultures, ages, genders, and more. Some have been here longer than others, and I think that's important to know. How many posts a person has seems a lot less important.

Great comment - I think this embraces the spirit/purpose of the message board "ideal" (if such a thing exists)

To my mind, it's more about communication with others who share a common interest or are able to offer advice/help for certain issues than it is to try and accumulate posts.

(Having said this... I'd love to reach 1000 posts myself so I can have the option of choosing a descriptor under my user name, but I can wait it out!)
less is more
less is more
post #45 of 67
i dont konw if i can get used to this registered time deal. as i scan over them i keep getting 2002s mixed with 2003s and such. i think it'd be really keen if we converted the date to milliseconds since the epoch, or possibly the diff between [now] & registration time.

but seriously, i think reg date is better than post count. sometimes i'd look over post counts to guestimate how long a body has been here, and apparently, it's not at all a good measure of that. jazus. some of us have post to days registered ratios way out of wack.

as for age: i find it easy enough to guess based on post content. therefore, i lie and mislead in my profile. plus i have an irrational fear of the fearful things out there that want to use my age against me.
post #46 of 67
Yeah! Now NO ONE knows I am not at 1000 post... err, wait...
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
I had lost all hope, honestly (BadFlamingo was a mess) and didn't bother to check back until April 2002.

BadFlamingo - now there's a name I haven't heard in a LOOONG while.

I just typed in www.badflamingo.com and it came up as a .mac homepage message ... unable to be found.
less is more
less is more
post #48 of 67
Oh man I remember finding this place like 2 or 3 months before the black out, I was all over it like a redneck on his sister and then boom it was gone. I tried all sorts of other forums, I even tried real life for a little bit if you can believe that but nothing could fill the void. I tried BadFlamingo for a while to, I think I found it from an article on Maccentral

Hopefully now that post counts are gone we will see less "IBL LOL!!1!!111" posts. Unfortunately I doubt that will happen. You should put a word sensor on, Brad, that changes that to something like "oops It appears I forgot to read the posting guidelines" or even "Hey look! I am an idiot!" will do fine.
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill
post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
(simpson's "carl" voice)

"I used my post count to feel like a man.....I guess now I'll have to rely on my enormous genitalia....

It's funny because it's true. LOL.

Hey my post count went up by one just now! COOL!!!!!
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #50 of 67
an interesting blend would be showing the average posts per day ratio instead of registration date OR postcount.... it would be both at the same time...
post #51 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
an interesting blend would be showing the average posts per day ratio instead of registration date OR postcount.... it would be both at the same time...

Yeah but I think that has spam written all over too.
post #52 of 67
How will I ever know who I can be condescending to?!
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #53 of 67
double post...i delete the first though cuz the number 2 is cooler
post #54 of 67
How will I ever know who I can be condescending to?!

...oh right I'm the one looked down upon...gota remember that
post #55 of 67
ast3r3x, I think your sig says it all.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #56 of 67
Well so much for spam reduction \
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul

Actually, what would be interesting would be also to have a mini bar-graph that showed the percentage of his/her total posts that a member posted to each AI forum. It would really add something to the member profile. Do-able?
tribalfusion?
tribalfusion?
post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Crusader
As for post counts, oh well. I worked hard to get my nice title, and I was one of the first 100 to join "AI: Phase Two, Rise From The Dead." It's all good for me.

And here I always thought it was "AI II: Electric Bugaloo."
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Chinney
Actually, what would be interesting would be also to have a mini bar-graph that showed the percentage of his/her total posts that a member posted to each AI forum. It would really add something to the member profile. Do-able?

It''s do-able, but the better question is, "who is going to do it?"

post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCash
It''s do-able, but the better question is, "who is going to do it?"

I thought that there were some of you out there who love to write code.
tribalfusion?
tribalfusion?
post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Chinney
I thought that there were some of you out there who love to write code.

Yeah, they're all out getting laid right now too
post #62 of 67
I've been here since Jan '99 but the Great Blackout wiped my original account...

A lot of people will always seek status until they get a real life. The "reliability" of anyone I meet on the internet is suspect...the fact that they have a gold start shouldn't alter my caution. Heck, that nice mild-mannered person could turn out to be <gulp> Murbot!

My advice is: Don't take candy from strangers with high post counts.

Having said all that, it sure would be nice if somebody could fix my "registered since" date....
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #63 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by drewprops
Heck, that nice mild-mannered person could turn out to be <gulp> Murbot!

Your mouth is writing cheques your body can't cash, drew. Watch it.

post #64 of 67
I just saw my NEW registered date!

Bwah hahahaha!

Darn you Murbot, darn you to....wherever it is you don't like to go!

post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by drewprops
I just saw my NEW registered date!

Bwah hahahaha!

Darn you Murbot, darn you to....wherever it is you don't like to go!

well i think you now hold the record for the highest average daily post count... it has got to be at least worth something...
post #66 of 67

But seriously, I see that Murbot got a spanking. I don't think he fiddled with my settings, please don't punish him if it was because of this thread. Now I'm heading off to read the thread about Kaspar.....
post #67 of 67
No, it had nothing to do with this thread. I'm also not sure who did your date changing, but I'll see what I can do, big guy.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Who stole my post count?