or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › File mapping...

File mapping...

post #1 of 4
OK, I know how to right-click a file and "Open With..." and how to Option + right-click to "Always Open With..." BUT:

How do I map a specific file type/extension to really really always open with a particular app?

Example:

I have Preview.app, Photoshop and GraphicConverter on my iBook. I want every .jpg on my local iBook and on a AFP sharepoint (on my LAN) to always open with Photoshop (not GraphicConverter or Preview). I want this to apply starting right now, no matter what app the .jpg file might have been created with in the past.

Remember OS 9's goold old file-mapping control panels? Where is that level of custom flexibility in OS X 10.3.3?
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally posted by dstranathan
OK, I know how to right-click a file and "Open With..." and how to Option + right-click to "Always Open With..." BUT:

How do I map a specific file type/extension to really really always open with a particular app?

Example:

I have Preview.app, Photoshop and GraphicConverter on my iBook. I want every .jpg on my local iBook and on a AFP sharepoint (on my LAN) to always open with Photoshop (not GraphicConverter or Preview). I want this to apply starting right now, no matter what app the .jpg file might have been created with in the past.

Remember OS 9's goold old file-mapping control panels? Where is that level of custom flexibility in OS X 10.3.3?

You are kidding, right? Well, if you are not, then you do a "Get Info" on the file. Under the "Open with:" pop-up menu, select the application you want. Then, click the "Change All..." button.
post #3 of 4
Hey, don't sass! I had no clue about that either until just now! Keen!.
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Me
You are kidding, right? Well, if you are not, then you do a "Get Info" on the file. Under the "Open with:" pop-up menu, select the application you want. Then, click the "Change All..." button.

Of course I do that, but it isnt a "sure fire" way to make ALL files with that extension open with the selected app. I tyr it daily on lots of 10.2 and 10.3 Macs to no avail.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › File mapping...