or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Opposite of Negative

Opposite of Negative

post #1 of 121
I think that many are as sick as I am of the constant negative slant with regard to anything that this country or it's president does.

I started this thread to get everyone out of the typical if it bleeds it leads mentality. I want to see if we as adults can keep a thread civil and positive.

If it's possible guys, let's all be intellectually honest and non confrontational here.

I would like us all to recap the last four years in respect to good things that this country and it's governing entities have done, including this president. Lets also try to keep the politics and sarcasm aside.

I will start.

Apr 2001: A Chinese fighter jet downs a US spy plane without provocation causing an international incident. China held the crew for 11 days, until the Bush Administration negotiated their release saving lives.
post #2 of 121
My response was going to be: "Yup, that was the only good thing the pres did."

However, I really didn't think the thread would remain civil after someone posted something like that so I didn't.
post #3 of 121
Edit: My bad.
post #4 of 121
I'll play.

Libya's "coming clean".

nb - I don't assign credit for this to anyone in particular. I just think it's a good thing.
post #5 of 121
I have got one: Finally we have proof that saddam complied with most of the un resolutions.
post #6 of 121
Quote:
"They misunderestimated me." George W. Bush, Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

I still love to use that word.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #7 of 121
All I have to say is "SCHOOLS AND ROADS!" We built SCHOOLS AND ROADS!
post #8 of 121
bill gates contributed 200 M to malaria research... which is probably more or less the tax break he got..
post #9 of 121
i bet alot of really cool people were born in the last 4 years.
post #10 of 121
Bush has given comedians tons of material, which has resulted in much laughter all over the US, which has made many people happy.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #11 of 121
Sept 2001: This country leads the world to unite in defeating terrorism.

At the same time, both branches of congress unites in a cause, along with virtually all of the free world.
post #12 of 121
i guess in some circles this might be a good thing: the NIH budget has been frozen...
post #13 of 121
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
Sept 2001: This country leads the world to unite in defeating terrorism.

At the same time, both branches of congress unites in a cause, along with virtually all of the free world.

Are you trying to sabotage your own thread???
post #14 of 121
post #15 of 121
I think that he's (indirectly) gotten a lot of people's ears perked up and eyes turned towards politics and world affairs, though this might be his undoing if they don't like what they see/hear.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #16 of 121
along those lines: bush shows that even the most average american from the uber-wealthy can be president... prior to that you had to have some of what us common folks call smarts...
post #17 of 121
We haven't invaded Poland...yet.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #18 of 121
george bush stole hassan's bike, teaching him a vital lesson about insurance and life...
post #19 of 121
Manufacturing jobs increased after some creative classification. Also the number of salmon has increased again due to creative counting. Bush and his admin are very creative to say the least.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #20 of 121
The arsenic levels are down in our water.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #21 of 121
we can again just blame our laziness for our terrible condition, for a while there external factors contributed some significant fraction of the causes, but now we again have the mantra of self-made men...
post #22 of 121
mercury levels are up in the shadows of power plants giving everything a nice sheen...
post #23 of 121
High school students are learning about sexual abstinence...only...which is good business for pediatricians!
post #24 of 121
Privately owned prisons are making a killing from all the drug users being thrown in jail.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #25 of 121
the speed limit in sc and nc went up to 70 mph making my trek to my homeland shorter...
post #26 of 121
Haliburton and The Carlyle Group are making incredible amounts of money.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #27 of 121
Until my taxes AND government spending go down, I don't really care what happens in government, so long as it does not raise taxes or government spending.

But I guess I'll play along. . .

At least one recent lawsuits that used the DMCA has failed, which raised a number of questions about the DMCA's boundaries, and also spurred debate about the obvious conflicts between that conclusion and the DeCSS conclusion.

Judicial Branch. . . That's government all right.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #28 of 121
Our troops finally have an opportunity to test the mettle
post #29 of 121
You guys are incorrigible.
post #30 of 121
creative use of the acronym WMD has now become a pop-culture fad...
post #31 of 121
Quote:
Originally posted by faust9
Our troops finally have an opportunity to test the mettle

i thought that one was too easy...
post #32 of 121
Quote:
Originally posted by billybobsky
i thought that one was too easy...

Sometimes the obvious needs to be said.
post #33 of 121
There's more cheese for everyone!

(Well, maybe. Don't really know. Thought I'd say it anyway.)
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #34 of 121
Here is the score so far:

Out of aprox. 33 posts,

3 maybe 4 are good things that this government had don in the last four years, excluding my own posts thus far.

That leaves about 27 posts of sarcasm and snide remarks directed at GWB or his admin.

I will remind everyone that the total number of lawmakers in both the legislative and administrative branches have been virtually equal, politically, throughout the last four years.

Surely there is some good this country has done. Dig a little deeper, if you have to.
post #35 of 121
Quote:
Here is the score so far:

Out of aprox. 33 posts,

3 maybe 4 are good things that this government had don in the last four years, excluding my own posts thus far.

That leaves about 27 posts of sarcasm and snide remarks directed at GWB or his admin.

Really? I only counted one. Your first post.... the China incident that happened in the fourth month of his presidency.
post #36 of 121
Quote:

I hate to parse you but there were at least a few that just commented on comments, so they don't technically fall into either of those 2 categories. I put the number of snide remarks about the admin at about 20. Of 33, that's not bad.
post #37 of 121
Sept 11 2001: The president reads children a story about a goat 15 minutes after knowing the first plane hit. Finally, a president showing performance under pressure with lightining-fast responsiveness!
post #38 of 121
Quote:
Originally posted by torifile
I hate to parse you but there were at least a few that just commented on comments, so they don't technically fall into either of those 2 categories. I put the number of snide remarks about the admin at about 20. Of 33, that's not bad.

Well, Ok. 20
post #39 of 121
DId you count My second one naples? I honestly think it's a good thing, and I think that Bush's actions have gotten a lot more people into the goings on in this country. for better or worse.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #40 of 121
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robot
DId you count My second one naples? I honestly think it's a good thing, and I think that Bush's actions have gotten a lot more people into the goings on in this country. for better or worse.

Yeah, I actually thought that was a great point, no matter what you think of him. I think both sides of the political isle can agree on that.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Opposite of Negative